Most frequently used or useful tool aboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides my laptop or cell phone if I remember to grab my cheaters
Is this:
Y0FXPog5vQN8VjAa78KZjgcrHkaTGmAr16MwLBShY0DUaCCeZu1Ns9s3BZd83oIZaWTaZpguo20O4uMje2Lc_q7P7jA1HS7Af0kbqm41qnzLcDvw1BmA7tvAmMt0tp5bahyp5Xos

Useful tool

Once you start carrying a basic Leatherman yo will use it almost daily---guaranteed!

Multi-tool (Sailor without a knife... Saves so many mini-trips fetching "tools")
Phone (Light, pics, research)
Beer/wine opener (Volume requires it make the list)

Blue tape. For various uses.

A reliable head lamp is something I reach for frequently. Even in a well lit engine room, there are lots and lots of dark corners, and I'm usually using at least all four extremities to not fall over.

OMG, Yes. My GB 42 is all jammed up with V8 3208’s, Naiads and plathora of other stuff. Head lamp has become invaluable while swinging from the ER ceiling.

Martini shaker.

#2 is my (littlest) Swiss Army knife. I have several knives, including two different rigging knives, one with spike. But the $16 Victorinox is always close at hand.

The only 2 tools needed are duct tape and WD40. If it moves, but shouldn't; use the duct tape. If it should move, but doesn't, use the WD40. :lol:

Have to say with no reservation. My IPhone. Kinder like the way I can fix some issues from home or onboard.

I have to add another one: Butyl tape.

If you have a pesky wire hanging down in a tricky location - use a dab of tape to stick it up out of the way.
Need to keep a screw on the screwdriver to get it into the hole - use a dab of tape on the tip of the screwdriver.
It's great for bedding/re-bedding and a gob will temporarily stop a leak.

The best by far, and most used by all....
his glasses,
then, coffee...
followed by toilet paper...
the rest of the day is use all the rest of the tools listed...

A Surge leatherman, and it's pocket tips and blades. I've been carry on for 26 year, everyday. When I'm working beside contractors I can usually cut there time by 25-30% as they go for the needed tool in their bag and I quick draw a surge one handed, pop a blade, a saw blade, file or scissors. It does take me a few more seconds to get the right tip. I've left an impression on many contractors.

I'm a masonry contractor... have same Leatherman, not when just aboard boat, I always have it on my person. Used several times every day for one reason or another. Lifetime product guarantee... I've sent it in a few times once portions get too worn or broken; a well refurbished "new one" comes back to me every time! :thumb:

1) Leatherman "Wingman" Always!
2) voltmeter
3) Three sizes of Channel Locks
4) Sidecutters,
5) Wire strippers, crimpers
6) Three sizes of crescent wrenches
7) 2 Sets of end wrenches, in and metric from 3/8 to 7/8

I'm surprised only one other person said glasses.

Specifically, reading glasses. If I don't have them, none of those other tools will be of any use.

I'm surprised only one other person said glasses.

Specifically, reading glasses. If I don't have them, none of those other tools will be of any use.

Only time my glasses are off is when I'm asleep. Been that way since 2 yrs old. They are a part of me, like my skin. When my eyes open, my glasses go on!

So, I don't think of them as a tool... but rather a minute to minute constant necessity!

Many tools are essential, but the one that gets the most use on my boat is a small rechargeable Black & Decker screwdriver that will also serve as a drill: Its small enough to get where a conventional tool will not work and it does not get tired after unscrewing dozens of screws. Just replaced mine after 12 years of solid performance. https://www.searsoutlet.com/br/pdp/...2f7zF-RcWwEK6jIZd2SubyzA5bWbBwb4aAnL7EALw_wcB

Greetings,
This may be my new favorite tool...I've ordered two. One right hand and one left hand.

101790893_310905396578061_2884055092290222572_n.jpg

When my son graduated from aviation mech school, i asked the several A&P techs on my staff what was the best graduatuon gift that he wouldn't already have in his required toolbox. Unanimous reply was right angle drill chuck. Got him one; I now have one at home, one on the boat. (They're ambidextrous).

Knee pads. Without which I could not stand to kneel, crawl or get to where i need to get to do what needs to be done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom