Major damage :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A fiberglass guy is looking at the work to be done. I warn them that insurance must first inspect the boat before starting anything. He also marked where to block the boat under the 3 bulkhead.

L

worst blocking I have ever seen.

I usually see a minimum of 3 block points for boats around 35 feet, and at least 3 sets of stands each side for keel boats (not smaller planing boats) and plywood under the stands and blocks to keep things level (unless on concrete) .

my favorite expression from people who have an issue with something is "but I have always done it that way without a problem". :facepalm:

Only 1 block under the keel !!! Come on that is just wrong !
As others have said all the weight is on the keel blocks the stands are to support it upright...
Good grief.... I would not be happy.
How long was it on the block like that ?? Does the yard only do small boats ?
Maybe a new yard worker.
I'd still like to see 6" or bigger timbers underneath.

Wishing good luck with it all...

Can't believe the blocking.......our boat has always had three large blocking points under the keel and three jack stands on each side for stability. This is the way it has always been done by three different yards over the years.

Selling agreements these days often include a requirement to disclose any prior damage. For that reason alone you want your insurance company and surveyor approving the work with detailed documentation of damage and repairs.

We store on the hard so get put on/off the blocks several times a year. Our yard is quite careful in lowering the boat onto the keel blocks to make sure they all engage at the same time. It appears that your yard wasn't careful, IMO that makes it their responsibility. Sounds to me like they're trying to push it off onto your insurance to avoid a claim on theirs. That's not right, the yard is responsible for blocking the vessel, that why you pay them to do it. That means they're also responsible for damage they cause.

You need to find another marina.

I would not allow the yard to balance the boat on one block again regardless of where the block is placed. As other have stated the stands are only desinged to keep the boat balanced and in position. Not to carry any significant load.

Just about the full weight of your entire vessel is sitting on one 4 or 5 inch section of the keel.

A wooden boat blocked this way surely would be destroyed.

So do all the marinas in your area block this way? I would not think so.

Yeah, that's deffo not enough blocks. My old boat was only about 8,000 lbs, and I always had three block points and four jack stands. If they've blocked you like this several times over the years, it might be a repetitive strain injury.

Are most of the boats blocked by your marina much smaller than yours? Still wouldn't be right to block as they did, but might explain their substandard blocking.

Lou: I don’t get it. Aren’t there other blocked boats in the same yard? Do they all look that way? I checked all my photos from the last three hauls and this is the least I could find. Front block is a 4x4, middle is 6x6 and rear is an 8x8. Three stands on each side. My boat is 25k.

Attachments

• 51A5E51A-18C3-43CB-A764-B6498F559C77.jpg
    51A5E51A-18C3-43CB-A764-B6498F559C77.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
All boats in my yard have a minimum of 2 blocks and 4 stands. Last winter they used 2 blocks and 6 stands for my 12,000 lb boat. I have never seen a boat with a single block.

I always put a level on the boat to check weight distribution. One year they put a stand directly on the hull and it was oil canning. I moved it so an inch of the plate was out beyond the hard chine. 3:00 on Friday the yard guys disappear so you never know what you'll end up with.

Take a video of the reblocking if possible. You can create singles from the video.

Boat is repositionned. It took 2 minutes to understand where the reinforcement are in the hull using a little hammer. I video the whole process of moving the boat. It is now on 3 blocks sitting on reinforced section. The single block they used was right under the middle of a bilge compartment without reinforcement above.

Here is the boat sitting on the right section, on 2 blocks.

IMG_1154.jpg

These guys clearly don’t know what they are doing, I am out of that marina and already search for another one for mext winter storage and next season.

L

I've looked at those pictures a dozen times and still don't understand why the fiberglass gave way. Have helped block hundreds of boats, and never seen that happen. If anything gets crushed, it's the wood blocks. Wondering if the cloth didn't get fully wetted out or not enough hardener. Take lots of pictures of the repair process.

Ted
I sorry, I thought there were multiple pyramids of keel blocks. Didn't realize there was only one set of keel blocks.

I'd find a new boatyard or learn to block your own boat. That's total Chicken Sh*t.

Ted

I sorry, I thought there were multiple pyramids of keel blocks. Didn't realize there was only one set of keel blocks.

I'd find a new boatyard or learn to block your own boat. That's total Chicken Sh*t.

Ted

I just visited 3 other boatyard and reserve my next winter storage as soon as tomorrow. These guys will never see my cash and my ass again.

Lesson learned.

L

The single block, 2 stand is common for smaller vessels say 25 and under and with strong transoms as in outboards and outdrives...

But a single block on a 30+ footer? Nope.

Good you are moving on!

The blocking is gross incompetence. Don't believe the boat yard when they tell you that they always do it this way and you are the only one complaining. Ask around to see if you can find others who have had a similar problem.

You need to get your own surveyor. Don't rely on someone working for an insurance co, especially since he gave you a lame excuse about having trouble with his truck to justify not keeping his appointment. Your surveyor should have no connection to the boat yard, the boat yards insurance, or your insurance co. Make sure your surveyor is a member of one of the two accrediting organizations. This implies that he is someone from out of town, and will charge travelling time, but you can add the cost to your insurance claim.

Don't touch the boat until your surveyor see it. If the case goes to court, you will need him to testify what he saw. Keep your insurance company informed, but remember that it is your boat, and you are the only one making the decisions.

You have the right to hire anyone you want to do the repairs, but of course you should be guided by your (not the insurance co's) surveyors report.

Good luck. I feel for you especially since you won't be able to enjoy most of this boating season.

ABCY Code TY-28, Boat Lifting and Storage, from 2007 indicates that "Use a minimum of two sets of keel blocking per boat." and "As a general guideline, there should be no less than two pairs of stands, e.g., 4 stands, placed under boats. Conditions such as hull configuration and structure, windage, weather and ground conditions, or other exposures, may require more stands to be used."

It is not a standard, only a guideline. I believe it was updated in 2014.

You may want to check a more recent copy.

If you do not identify the yard , they will continue to damage boats.

Doesn’t look like enough stands were used or enough blocks on the keel.

Yes the original blocking was totally inadequate. As others have said the boat stands are not to take the weight of a boat that size. The current set up is marginal. For reference, my 33' wooden boat has three sets of wooden blocks (all 6x6) and six boat stands. The stands only provide stability and I can remove any one stand with no issues, which is done for bottom painiting. The only time my boat only has two stands is during loading onto the hydraulic trailer for transport.

Note for bottom painting I paint the bottom, then move the stands one at a time to a painted spot so I can paint the spots where the stands were.

The single block, 2 stand is common for smaller vessels say 25 and under and with strong transoms as in outboards and outdrives...

But a single block on a 30+ footer? Nope.

Good you are moving on!

That's why I asked if most of the boats there were smaller.

So is the yard going to pay for or do the repair?

That's why I asked if most of the boats there were smaller.

Boat size there are ranging from small 20 footers to 40+ but after met with the owner yesterday it is clear and evident now that they have no clue about what they are doing.
Imagine that he told me he always put the forward bloc at the vertical of the front windshield because this is there the boat is the stronger. He dis not even bothered to check where the reinforcement was.

L

So is the yard going to pay for or do the repair?

Not clear yet, the insurance surveyor dis not see the boat yet, I still waiting for him to give me an appointment.

HOWEVER based on all evidence I have it is clear that the boatyard is responsible, they handled the boat, they blocked it, they did it wrong, blocked at the wrong place, and in the wrong way without following any recommendations.

If they don’t think the same well...

L

Boat size there are ranging from small 20 footers to 40+ but after met with the owner yesterday it is clear and evident now that they have no clue about what they are doing.
Imagine that he told me he always put the forward bloc at the vertical of the front windshield because this is there the boat is the stronger. He dis not even bothered to check where the reinforcement was.

L

The tip of the iceberg.... Just how many people are in the marine field that may have experience/knowledge lower than what should be standard....

The tip of the iceberg.... Just how many people are in the marine field that may have experience/knowledge lower than what should be standard....

And we, the boating community, too often encourage and support them by making our choices based on price. While not always true, the low cost provider is often the one not meeting reasonable standards.

And we, the boating community, too often encourage and support them by making our choices based on price. While not always true, the low cost provider is often the one not meeting reasonable standards.

The most surprising is that this boatyard is not the less expensive at all! They are just playing on the fact that they are one of the few marina on this area. But we will move some miles down the river on a lake connected to the river and we will have a nice new spot far from these folks.

L

The most surprising is that this boatyard is not the less expensive at all! They are just playing on the fact that they are one of the few marina on this area. But we will move some miles down the river on a lake connected to the river and we will have a nice new spot far from these folks.

L

:thumb: Sounds like a nice spot. Hopefully, you will be close enough to visit the boat often. Even if she's on the hard, you can sitting at the helm and make boat noises. :lol:

L

I know you've involved your insurance, but has their insurance been in contact with you at all or you even been given their information?

I know you've involved your insurance, but has their insurance been in contact with you at all or you even been given their information?

No, not yet. I am waiting my insurance surveyor to see the damage in person before talking about responsibility as the insurance should handle this.

L

Back
Top Bottom