Mainship 34 - single screw docking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I owned a 1971 GB woodie with a single no BT. People say you can learn to use a single but why go thru the trauma ! No wood or single for me! Now have a twin, no BT, plastic type vessel!

Many, many single engine boats out there without a thruster. Admittedly Thrusters make is much easier which is why they are standard equipment on new single engine boats.

Our thruster died, and we had to run without it for a season. You get used to it, but it does make it trickier. Possible and Desirable are mutually exclusive. I wouldn't want a single without a thruster.

Not all singles are the same...without a thruster....some handle like a dream...some handle like the devil.

I like Shrew's style! Three things always happen on a bad docking day with a single. Wind, current and a large crowd !

And if its a good, manueverable single boat and you are half way decent....and slip it right in....they all buy you a beer and want docking lessons.... :thumb:

Last edited:
And if its a good, manueverable single boat and you are half way decent....and slip it right in....they all buy you a beer and want docking lessons.... :thumb:

What he said!
And here's my "rule of thumb"....
When approaching or backing in, if you "think" you missed, then you did. Period.
Abort, turn around and do it again. Let the crowd gather. Give them a reason to cheer when you nail it the second time.
(Or the third)
Smile when they say "didn't know you had twins".

One thing that helps me out is the set up making sure you put your boat in the optimum position before the back and fill. Having a bow rail flag for wind direction and understanding currents in your slip during ebb, slack and flood tides. With optimum conditions (no wind or current) I can back and fill without throttle just reverse and forward but with wind and currents I need to make my boat spin quicker. My boat doesn’t spin much in reverse so as it is still moving backwards I put the transmission in forward and give it a quick burst of thrust and quickly back to idle and the boat will spin quicker without much forward movement. If you can learn to spin your boat using the back and fill and set up properly for the conditions docking will become enjoyable.

A rudder position indicator is a must on singles. Useful on twins too.

Also useful to stop in the fairway in front of the slip for a minute to see how the wind and current is affecting the boat in that spot.

Last edited:
A rudder position indicator is a must on singles. Useful on twins too.

Helpful..sure. But a MUST?? With my wheel turned hard to port, my prop walk still backs me to stbd. I pretty much turn hard to port and leave it there, then and bump and fill, with small bits of thruster as needed. Three turns has be me back at center.

Agree....been driving singles for a long time...never had a rudder indicator.

Does make things easier on occasion but my eyes are almost always looking to judge wind, current or obstacles....I can find the wheel, shift and throttle by feel.

Definitely not a must for me.

I would rather teach students to immediately see the reaction of the boat rather than take the time to look for the rudder indicator first. That to me is the better learning tool but I am sure there are other methods that work too.

Last edited:
Agree....been driving singles for a long time...never had a rudder indicator.

Does make things easier on occasion but my eyes are almost always looking to judge wind, current or obstacles....I can find the wheel, shift and throttle by feel.

Definitely not a must for me.

I would rather teach students to immediately see the reaction of the boat rather than take the time to look for the rudder indicator first. That to me is the better learning tool but I am sure there are other methods that work too.

How do you tell when the rudder is pointed straight ahead without a rudder indicator?

How do you tell when the rudder is pointed straight ahead without a rudder indicator?

In forward I know right away when I go in gear....so I just turn the wheel till I am getting the response that I want.

In reverse, the rudder has little effect until making a knot or two underway so plentry of time to wait and see or if a long backing is needed using a certain rudder angle, I just go hard over and come back 2.5 turns to center...more or less if the rudder needs some angle.

On this boat it really isnt an issue.

On the assistance towboat, the rudder was so small it was nearly useless 99% of the time in reverse unless you were backing down at 1/2 throttle or so and speeds mortals are scared to. :eek:

Last edited:
I rely heavily on my rudder indicator for close quarters maneuvering. It's a must for me.

My overall but especially my teaching experience.... points to the most critical tidbit in close quarters maneuvering is relative motion.

When I see people docking...I can sense when things should be done and when captains wait too long, I know their maneuver is going badly, long before they do.

Many boaters dock from the flying bridge because of visibility. I dock from below and because of my experience in docking, I often leave the helm and walk back through the salon and outside to check clearances...drives a lot of people crazy that I can do that and still make docking look easy.... single screw, no thruster. I am only a mediocre boathandker, but I do have lots of difficult docking experience.

Because of all this, to me a rudder indicator would definitely just be a distraction to me because I am focused on so much more that I can correct rudder position at any point in maneuvering.

Again as I posted before...it may be useful in other's techniques...but I guess its how one puts together a docking that determines its usefulness.

For those who may have shot a gun a lot, you have probably heard of the 2 techniques of either look where you are shooting and your hand will follow ( my method of rudder control) or use your sights exactly (rudder indicator method).

Last edited:
I use the rudder angle indicator at the dock prior to untying to see where the rudder is pointing. My steering is a variable ratio Capilano 7 to 1 to 11 to 1 and it's easier to look at the rudder feedback than counting turns.

Multiple fenders are your friend. Me? Five per side. Yes, a rudder indicator is also your friend.

Attachments

• turning from berth.jpg
    turning from berth.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 40
  • leaving marina.jpg
    leaving marina.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Dont let anyone sugar coat it single hand docking a mainship 34 without any thrusters sucks. I've had mine for 5 years and done it countless times but it's never perfect.

I have to be really rough with my transmission going in and out with the steering wheel locked hard to whatever side needed and use the shift levers to get it into the slip but ready to get back on the wheel to bail out.

I have to dock on a river that sometimes has a pretty stiff current and unfortunately my new boat neighbor's boat sticks out 10' from the slip making my approach extremely difficult upriver. I'll probably have to move but honestly feel like they should.

It's not that bad but horizontal movement is just impossible. For example if there's a tight fuel dock without a direct approach i'm unable to "slide" the boat anywhere. I'll probably add a stern or bow thruster someday and if my marina could haul out my boat i'd have done it already.

I can only say from my experience ....I just purchased a single screw 37' cym and I was really worried about docking to the point of stressing of losing sleep wondering if when I got to the boat (it was anchored out) if I'd be able to get it to the dock to load our stuff onto it

Soooooooo uneventful I could laugh at myself now....I practiced for days outside seeing how far I could toss a rope around a post in my yard...spent hours trying to see how far I could toss a line out to hook a cleat in my yard thinking I might not even be able to get it within 30 yards from the dock LOL .....docking was soooooo easy so easy I feel foolish for practicing so long in the yard.....I even accidentally docked in wrong spot once and was told I had to move it to the very next spot over.....easy .... and this is my very first single screw boat all others had outboards I could steer in reverse
I'm not sure what issues you had with sailboat just remember you cant steer in reverse so just cut wheel hard whichever direction you wanna go and pivot boat by turning nose with forward hit reverse to back up straight (or mild propwalk) easy just buy the boat

Hey guys - I am narrowing my search for a small trawler and really like the early 80's mainship 34.

My biggest concern is the single screw diesel and no thrusters.

Would I regret and resent this boat as it would be a nightmare to take in and out of a busy marina with a narrow slip?

My experience is working a 30'sailboat, 25' grady (single 250hp) and several 18-20 boats.

My biggest gripe with the sailboat was docking - it was almost impossible to do solo (large keel) and overall resulted in my decision to sell the boat.

Thanks for any feedback!
We have installed a bow and stern thruster on our 34" CHB. You should take a look at them at www.dockstarthruster.com

I am not sure what the issue is with a single screw and 34 feet. I grew up on 60 - 70 ft boats, have a 61 ft single screw, no need for a bow thruster, just use the prowalk

One thing I could add if you are worried about docking is get a pool pole for scrubbing bottoms of pools they extend usually a lot farther than a boat hook and use a dockareni or docking stick ....makes life super easy...I bought two dock a renis for 20 bux and I think the docking sticks were another 10 or 20 bux or so....if you can get even within 30 feet of a cleat or pole you can have the rope tied to midship cleat to use as a spring line

Whgoffrn....Was your docking experience in the canal lock and at Indiantown?

That and when I bought the boat the previous owners and dock master wouldnt allow the boat to sit for 2 weeks (even though I offered to pay) at the dock so the only option I had since this was an ebay purchase and I live 1000 miles away was they anchored it out in manatee cove for 2 weeks ...well i "illegally" docked it back in the docking space to load all my food water generators and crap on board so ....with zero single screw experience and a fair amount of wind I undid the anchor made 2 or 3 figure 8s in the boat made sure reverse worked in a span of 3 to 4 minutes and decided to just go for it....I had these big long pool poles I brought with me that extend 30 feet and dockarenis and docking sticks to look the pylons...thinking I'd have trouble ....pulled right up barely touched the dock so easy I laughed at how worried I was I that I'd have issues....... only minor issue I had was in the st lucie lock because once again first time even going through a lock and we went through a torrential downpour with stiff winds......I had trouble getting the bow away from the wall at the lock ....but nothing more than used the boat hook some muscle to push against the wind and took right off but yeah in the lock it wanted to rub the wall....indiantown was packed when I was there and it's kinda tight and was a breeze

I have a 78 mainship single screw i have no problem docking . my mainship walks to the port side in revers. i have learned that once i start the boat turning to starboard i leave the rutter in that position. then when i go to revers the boat will travel straight back. now i can go forward and back to get the boat lined up with the slip then back it in . I wouldn't let that worry . after all what fun is a boat if you can't dive it,figure it out or work on it. thanks Captain BRrrrrrr

I have a 34 MS without a thruster, and it can be an adventure now and then for sure but I don't really think about it much anymore. People ask me from time to time why I don't just get a thruster and the reason is its just further down the list. A thruster installed from scratch is gotta be pushing 8k, I would rather have some new electronics or an auto pilot. In fact I would rather replace my bimini with a hard top than have a thruster. Of course, its possible at this point I'm just being stubborn and don't want to cave in, it can be a source of pride as others mentioned. I have gotten some ovations when things go perfectly, and some nicks and scratches when they don't.

Docking a single screw is just like anything else in life - the more you do it the better you will get. First place to start the journey to confident single screw, no thruster docking is to go out into a mooring field, find a ball thats by itself and just try backing down next to it, rinse and repeat. Get the feel of pushing the stern from one side to the other. You have to remove the concept of "steering" from your mind and replace it with "pushing".

I wouldn't pass on the boat if you like it because of the docking. Over time it just wont be that big of a deal.

I came from sailboats and found them rather easy to maneuver because of their large rudders. With my recent Mainship Pilot, the rudder has very little effect at low speeds especially when backing. I know many here will say it's a matter of technique and practice and although that is somewhat true, there are many days I don't know how I would get in and out of my slip without thrusters. It's not just the tight quarters, but being on a river I deal with very swift tidal currents at times. Leaving my slip, I need to make a tight 90 degree turn in order to miss the next pier. With a strong current from behind, I would get pushed into the pier if I can't make a very quick turn. I don't see how that would happen with the rudder alone.

single screw docking

Hey guys - I am narrowing my search for a small trawler and really like the early 80's mainship 34.

My biggest concern is the single screw diesel and no thrusters.

Would I regret and resent this boat as it would be a nightmare to take in and out of a busy marina with a narrow slip?

My experience is working a 30'sailboat, 25' grady (single 250hp) and several 18-20 boats.

My biggest gripe with the sailboat was docking - it was almost impossible to do solo (large keel) and overall resulted in my decision to sell the boat.

Thanks for any feedback!

My GB 36 is single screw, no thrusters. I won't kid you, docking it stern first is challenging. The first time you try it, you will regret having bought that boat.
Having said that, it is a skill that is learnable and once you do, there is a certain amount of pride in being able to do it.

First, you have to be very aware of the wind and tide at the dock. Secondly, you can't wander down a narrow waterway where you can't turn around. You have to stay ahead of the situation.

Then there are several tricks. Always approach the dock as closely as you can so your distance to back is at a minimum. Always start with your bow into the wind so that when you start backing, the wind will push your bow while you back. Your screw will probably pull your stern to port, (prop walk) so you have to have your rudder set to counter that when you put the gear in forward to straighten the bow. Use short bursts of power backing and forward. Practice this system of "Back and Fill" and you will be proficient in a short amount of time. Turning the boat 360 degrees is actually quite easy and doesn't require a lot of room. Backing is the issue.

Finally, if you just don't like it, an external bow thruster is rather inexpensive and easy to install.

If you really want a Trawler and you really like this one, don't let the single screw stop you. In fact, one of my major criteria when looking for my boat was "one engine".

Mainship ! docking

I've owned Lady Sue (1982 Mainship I) for over 30 years now. You've gotten lots of good advice from many smart skippers, so I don't need to add anything. Like most beauties, she steers from the ass-end. Once you feel comfortable with that you'll do fine going forward or in reverse.

At age 86, I'm thinking of selling her but am not yet sure. She's got a little over 4000 hours on her original Perkins, and I have logs on maintenance going back to Day 1.

If you haven't made your decision, give me a call. She's on Cheesequake Creek, off Raritan Bay, NJ. I was planning a trip to Orient Point next week but the threat of Covid and my wife have been obstructive!

Jim Ferry
609-466-462

I owned a 1986 Mainship 34 MK III(no thruster)kept in the CT River, lots of strong current. I timed my dock arrival and departure with near slack water. The mooring was no problem. Block island and Shelter Island slips were no problem. The long keel, large rudder and propeller have a lot of authority. The boat responds immediately to rudder and propeller input. Keep the boat speed down and work the reverse and rudder. Practice somewhere there is little current the get the feel of it.
Jim Curry

Docking

As mentioned, we have a 34' trawler, which can be a bit tricky at times to dock. Our slip is subject to currents and crosswind and since we have to back in, (starboard tie in a port slip) we have tried all sorts of poles and boat hooks,
practicing and even tried swearing. The thrusters have been the best solution.

Our DockStars make it simple and you can even dock by yourself, the thrusters will hold the boat against the slip for you to tie up by yourself. They are rechargeable battery operated, radio remote control and removable. Mounting on the hull was simple, no holes in the hull and there are several mount kits available. Reasonable price and available in Vancouver too.

We are in Vancouver, so if you wish to see the DockStar, contact us and we will be happy to show you how easy the thrusters make it. We are just putting the boat up for sale, so sooner is better.:)

Back
Top Bottom