Lucky Australian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moparharn

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/australia-sea-rescue-intl-scli/index.html

So many ways to get yourself in trouble. This will be written about I am sure. Lucky man

Don't you think it's a bit rich calling all Australians silly, just because one lone sailor gets into trouble..? :eek::nonono:

PS. A much better way to put up a link, which is 'live', is just highlight the URL, click on Command C, (copy) then place cursor in the editing box you're typing in and click Command V. (= paste), voila...live link - saves others the trouble.

Last edited:
Peter- It's A Joke. It seems so plain to me that a comment like that could only be a joke. The guy is actually the luckiest guy on earth. I intended it in a light hearted way. All's well that ends well, etc . I may have a bad or misguided sense of humor, but certainly not "rich". :)

It you want me to take it down I will. Or modify it. We all have something to learn here, and it is not about humor. Bill

A poor choice of thread title IMO. I added a smiley to it since its apparently humour.

Nice looking boat.

News report on TV showed it partially submerged at high tide, cockpit awash. Maybe they will pump it out at low tide, then attach a line and see if they can pull it off the beach next high tide. At least it did not go onto rocks and get holed. But ER likely flooded, so could end up a total loss anyway......

Last edited:
Could I ask a favor please? Could you please delete this thread. Thank you for any help you might give me. Bill

I edited the thread title to something like it ought to have been to begin with. The news story the thread is about is fine.

Last edited:
Dog looks mightily pissed off, glad he survived.

Here`s a more detailed news item: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-29/qld-man-rescued-after-boat-runs-aground-moreton-bay/13020248
The owner was washed off the boat while re securing the dinghy. I`m relieved he didn`t abandon dog and boat voluntarily. I hope the boat is ok but clearly there will be damage.
On a sailboat crew clip on with a safety line if there is danger or risky job to do. Not heard of it on powerboats, but worth considering based of the presenting risk. Of course there need to be solid places to clip on.

Last edited:
...On a sailboat crew clip on with a safety line if there is danger or risky job to do. Not heard of it on powerboats, but worth considering based of the presenting risk...

Doing things like backpacking, rock climbing, or boating solo requires a different level of attention to detail/safety.

Hope he didn't chafe too much climbing up that buoy!

...Hope he didn't chafe too much climbing up that buoy!
They tend to grow a lot of sharp shelled sea creatures, so I`d expect cuts, abrasions, etc, which tend to get infected, like "coral cuts".

We were parked next to him for a few days prior.
I know the boat, followed the build.

M.V. FOCUS

Boat is off now and under tow to Mooloolabah further north.

Don't you think it's a bit rich calling all Australians silly, just because one lone sailor gets into trouble..? :eek::nonono:

PS. A much better way to put up a link, which is 'live', is just highlight the URL, click on Command C, (copy) then place cursor in the editing box you're typing in and click Command V. (= paste), voila...live link - saves others the trouble.

Did I miss the post that said "silly" ?

Did I miss the post that said "silly" ?

"Silly" was in the thread title. Initially I just added a smiley to the title since the OP was intending humour (epic fail!), but edited the title again a bit later.

I don't think it was all luck. Keeping yourself from panicking when you see your boat go on without you and then pulling yourself together and swimming a mile plus to something to hang on to is not luck. It's skill. He was lucky it was there.

I don't think it was all luck. Keeping yourself from panicking when you see your boat go on without you and then pulling yourself together and swimming a mile plus to something to hang on to is not luck. It's skill. He was lucky it was there.

Yep, if it would have happened on the next leg Caloundra to ??? there are no marks

Or if he did our usual route, top of Moreton Island to Double Island Point he would have been12 nm offshore for most of it.

News article from yesterday. Although the pics at low tide show "Focus" high and dry, she was there for at least one high tide and TV news showed the cockpit awash in the waves. After reading about the original build in the link Simi posted above I thought that the main ER location and design might have prevented some flooding, but that now seems unlikely. David's final quotes in the article:

"It's a mess and it's full of salt water and we're up to our necks in it," he said.
"There's a lot of damage, a lot of stuff is wrecked and we're just trying to flush it with freshwater to try and stop the damage."

Attachments

• MV Focus story.pdf
    319.9 KB · Views: 33

Exactly, to swim just over one nautical mile at sea takes stamina and determination and a huge level of fitness, and at 64 years old, the skipper did a tremendous job. The tide, wave action and high salinity levels (stinging eyes) are all negative contributing factors....let alone what lurks beneath coastal Oz waters ��

Of course should also mention the outstanding job of the VMR groups (volunteer marine rescue) do around all our coastlines, top marks to those folks :thumb:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom