Locking Deck Mounted Diesel Fuel Cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob

Vessel Name
Lady Anne
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen KK42
With the extreme high price of fuel and the large amounts of fuel that boats carry it seems to be just a matter of time before someone gets emptied! Has any one discovered a locking deck mounted diesel fuel cap? eyes got to be something out there that an offer some protection!

Probably would be easier to make a cross that goes where the hose attaches to the fuel tank. Basically it would prevent a hose from being inserted into the fuel tank.

Personally I prefer a marina with night security. While the fuel has value, there is stuff worth more on the boat, not to mention the boat itself.

Ted

I asked this awhile back and got a great suggestion of a key operated, locking deck cap. If you search the history, you should find it

I don’t care for a key at deck level. All the rain and (salt) water and any debris on deck will get down into the lock and sooner or later you won’t be able to unlock it.

Perko makes a locking fuel cap with a protective cover over the key hole. I put one on my old boat. Not for the worry of fuel theft, but because it was next to the water fill and I wanted to make it difficult to add water to my single fuel tank.

Perko makes a locking fuel cap with a protective cover over the key hole. I put one on my old boat. Not for the worry of fuel theft, but because it was next to the water fill and I wanted to make it difficult to add water to my single fuel tank.

Forgot to add that it's not just the cap. You replace the fuel hose adapter/barb as well.

Forgot to add that it's not just the cap. You replace the fuel hose adapter/barb as well.

On some boats that could be a big job depending on access. I don’t see too may cases of stolen fuel. It could take a long time to pump out a significant amount from a tank. Likely someone will see it happening.

I had fuel stolen from my boat at a marina on the upper Hudson river. I installed a Gas-Bandit-Blocker. Just google it and you will see what it is.

I had fuel stolen from my boat at a marina on the upper Hudson river. I installed a Gas-Bandit-Blocker. Just google it and you will see what it is.

Great looking device. At 2.13 inch diameter however, I would test it on a piece of hose the same inside diameter as the fuel fill hose-typically 1.5-2 inches on larger boats.

On some boats that could be a big job depending on access. I don’t see too may cases of stolen fuel. It could take a long time to pump out a significant amount from a tank. Likely someone will see it happening.

That's the difference between boats and cars. A car by its nature could be siphon'd of gas, not so in a boat. Boat tanks are almost always below the water line.

So now you need a pump. And a barrel, or a few of them.

According to the q&a, it can be squeezed to fit into anything as it gets smaller the more you turn it.

Kevin is correct though on the insurance policies I had for many years for my commercial vessels it stated that fuel thief would only be covered if you had a locking mechanism on your filler cap. On commercial docks and at some other transient docks boats are sometimes forced to raft tie especially in the summer months.

Rafting allows thieves, with a good pump and hose, to fairly quickly pump fuel from one vessel to another especially in the dark. Locking caps or devices do not necessarily stop this but like locked cars and locked houses thieves usually go to the easiest opportunity.

Last edited:
Chances are it’s a hose going from deck to tank. Install a 1/4 turn valve in the hose. No key no problem.

Interesting. What if you want to remove it? or it gets poked further down the gas pipe and causes issues?

Back
Top Bottom