Live Your Life - In Fact Grab It By The Gizzards!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Couple things...

Not quite like Hotrod's experience, but years ago my boss's boss was a really nice guy. I respected and admired him, but he was a serious type-A personality. Always working hard, working late, going, going, going. And then one day he, literally, fell dead at his desk. His secretary came in to find him face down, dead of a heart attack.

It was a wake-up call for me. I realized that working so hard that it started to affect my health (physical or mental) was a HUUUGE mistake! I backed off and have -- for the most part, at least -- been enjoying life ever since. I still work, but I make plenty of "me" time (and in this case, "me" includes my wife and family). I make a point to be in a place where, at the end of most days, I can say to myself, "if I died tomorrow I would not have a lot of regrets about all the things that could have been."

A big part of that is remembering something I learned years ago, when I read Charles Dickens "David Copperfield" (an outstandingly good book, that I would recommend to everyone!). The character of Mr. Micawber in that book had a saying that is just as true and important today as it was 100 years ago...

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Probably too late for many on this forum, but I highly recommend being a vagabond, part time student/explorer with occasional seasonal jobs to fund it all while young, before marriage, parenthood, mortgage, or full time job/career. Memories are more 'valuable' than assets in the end, and arguably best to do these things while young, healthy, and unburdened by age related health issues or fiscal responsibilities.

I recently toured a gorgeous 2014 70 foot yacht, with the broker. Not that I'm looking for a 70 footer, but I'm interested in this builder. I say "this yacht is barely used, but it's all debugged and ready to cruise, what gives?"

He says "Bob, he ran out of time before he ran out of money."

I have posted this before. It is a local songwriter singing about local waters. Redfish Island is a day trip destination in Galveston Bay. It is a big deal for many but those same people rarely get past it. We call the Houston Ship Channel "The Edge of the World" because people, mostly sailboaters, sail right up to it, tack, and turnaround and never go beyond it. Anyway, without further adieu....

I've got dreams about the ocean
To sail the seven seas
Or catch a gulfstream breeze
And hide out in the Keys
Take my time and live my life
Just the way I please
But why am I afraid to sail away

She's a good boat and she's sturdy
And I know she'd pass the test
I've fitted her out perfectly
I know she's the best
And patiently she waits for me
She's ready I can tell
But her body's never felt the ocean swell

It's a long way from Redfish to the Islands
It could take a week or more
And there could be a storm
No I don't wanna die on Redfish Island
So just push me to the Gulf and set me free
'Cause that's the only way I'll live my dream

It was Saturday they told me
About Jimmy down the dock
How a heart attack had stopped him dead
I thought about our talk
He swore that in a year he planned
To lay his lawbooks down
Now his boat's for sale and Jimmy's in the ground

The next week I was busy
Sold my house and sold my car
Sold nearly ev'rything I own
Except this old guitar
Stepped aboard my lady love
And steered her out to sea
'Cause that city life had done enough to me

Dave, when I was working as a financial advisor I often joked with my clients that I wanted the last check that I wrote to bounce. The hard part of financial planning is that you don't know how long you're going to be around.

. . . and I want that last check to be written to the funeral home.

I'm in closing right now on a '80 C&L SeaRanger in order to cruise the Puget Sound and the Inside Passage. I retired a year ago and decided during that year that this is what I really want to do. I'm 63 and my saying is 'no more 5-year plans'. And totally, agree-You've got to grab those gizzards now, while you can!

Probably too late for many on this forum, but I highly recommend being a vagabond, part time student/explorer with occasional seasonal jobs to fund it all while young, before marriage, parenthood, mortgage, or full time job/career. Memories are more 'valuable' than assets in the end, and arguably best to do these things while young, healthy, and unburdened by age related health issues or fiscal responsibilities.

At this point, knowing what I know now, if I could be 18 again, that is exactly what I would do.

Are we living the lives we would be living without New York marketing and advertising firms telling us what lives we should be living?

Not quite like Hotrod's experience, but years ago my boss's boss was a really nice guy. I respected and admired him, but he was a serious type-A personality. Always working hard, working late, going, going, going. And then one day he, literally, fell dead at his desk. His secretary came in to find him face down, dead of a heart attack.

It was a wake-up call for me. I realized that working so hard that it started to affect my health (physical or mental) was a HUUUGE mistake!.

My cousin, just a couple of years older than me, was very ambitious and very good at what he did. He quickly was Controller of a large company. Then he got a great job offer and moved to Kentucky. Then the next great job offer and he moved back to NC. His income had sky rocketed. He now was President of a subsidiary of a multi-national company. Well, they were horrible people to work for. Constant stress as the parent company lost money and depended on them to make it up. 70 hours a week wasn't even the worst part. It was the rude, insulting, demeaning people he reported to at corporate. They were always pushing for more and pushing for him to fire people and make others work harder. He was miserable for himself and the employees, who he tried to shield but could only protect so much. He wasn't feeling great but who would in that situation. Then one day in the office he was in a meeting with his staff. They'd all worked all weekend. He was speaking and suddenly stopped. Couldn't for a moment. Then resumed. The person standing beside him immediately called 911. My cousin said he was fine. Fortunately the person beside him recognized a TIA.

Had it not been recognized, the doctor's say he likely would have had a major stroke within days if not hours. The treated him with medication but they also gave him a firm order not to return to the job. In fact, they determined that he had to avoid any stressful position.

Now, unlike most, this one ends good. He moved to the coast, began selling some real estate, fished a lot. He's still alive and doing well.

It's not just the quantity of work. It's the conditions people work under. People work for some awful owners who care nothing about anyone. They work in jobs that make them miserable. They're filled with stress and anger. Depression and anxiety.

All I can say is to anyone in such a situation, anyone who dreads going to work each and every day, you don't have to do it. You say you need the money, you have house payments. Well, think how much you're enjoying that house that you're never home in. It's just not worth it. Find a way to escape.

I was fortunate in the people and company I worked for. Now, not so in the lessons I'd been taught. I'd been taught that I had to be perfect. So, through no pressure from anyone else, I worked 52 weeks a year, 60 hours a week, no vacation. I was single, had no life. I was in good physical shape because when I traveled I spent hours in the hotel workout rooms.

It was the weekend of my 30th birthday, I met someone who taught me new things and made me realize I must change, and, even more, I wanted to change. My priority was no longer work, it was life with her. I also had no professional wonderlust. We liked our home, our lives. We had no drive to ever make huge money and be wealthy, just happy. I worked my entire career for one company and then it's successor owner. I got offered jobs making ten times what I made and we said no to them. One job I refused, I knew the man who took it. His wife refused to move with her and the kids. He never came home, they divorced. 18 months after starting, he was fired, the fifth CEO in 7 years. He got a golden parachute. On paper he made $30 million. Not bad for 18 months. Well, except a lot was company stock and other was severance due and then a month after firing him the company declared bankruptcy. His reputation was destroyed. His child support was enormous. He drank. Lots. Then he could take no more and committed suicide. Look at all those in Enron and Arthur Andersen.

We do a lousy job of teaching young people the most important thing in life, to find happiness. Be happy. That simple. What do you want to be when you grow up? Answer: Happy.

There's a simple reason that in the US we spend more on medical care and have shorter life expectancy. The word is "stress." We are driven, driven beyond reason. We are performance oriented. Translate, do the work of two people. It once was keeping up with the Jones', but then went far beyond that.

I wasn't very smart myself. I'd been taught that brains, power, accomplishment are all that's important, that love and affection and emotions are not. I'd been taught that anything short of perfection was failure. We see it all around, that "Second Place is losing" attitude. So, I could never be perfect, never get everything done, so never feel I'd really been successful. Had I not met that special person on October 13, 2000, I can't imagine the life of misery I would have had. She saw it, a person about to have their 30th birthday, but while working out of town, in a hotel alone, and really with no personal life. Well, I didn't spend it alone and haven't been alone since. She taught me how to live.

It's amazing to us still that we have the money we have as never once did we make any decisions based on potential income. We even turned down opportunities with the parent company because we didn't want to move to Nebraska.

Then when we saw we could retire, we did. We've been incredibly lucky. However, the financial luck isn't what is important. We were happy before and still would be. When my cousin had his stroke, my wife and I immediately had the same thought. Had I not changed, it could have been me.

Life is meant to be lived. Why aren't we taught that?

The hard part of financial planning is that you don't know how long you're going to be around.

Yet, so many people set retirement dates, and make life plans, thinking they know that very thing. No man is promised tomorrow.

Yet, so many people set retirement dates, and make life plans, thinking they know that very thing. No man is promised tomorrow.

Wifey B: You can't change the past, can't predict the future, so best live in the present. :)

It's not just the quantity of work. It's the conditions people work under. People work for some awful owners who care nothing about anyone. They work in jobs that make them miserable. They're filled with stress and anger. Depression and anxiety.

All I can say is to anyone in such a situation, anyone who dreads going to work each and every day, you don't have to do it. You say you need the money, you have house payments. Well, think how much you're enjoying that house that you're never home in. It's just not worth it. Find a way to escape.

I appreciate the point you are making and I agree with it. I have chosen quality of life over income in the way I have structured my practice and professional life. I was never a "driven" person when it came to money.

However, I see a huge cross section of patients in my practice. It is only a very small percentage of them that have the freedom to make the choices that you are talking about. Most of them go to work every day to do jobs that they don't especially like and in many cases really dislike. They do it to support themselves and to support their families. They don't have the money for nice vacations, a car or boat, and can't afford to purchase a home. Savings is a challenge because they have a hard time getting enough money to pay for food, rent, gas and clothes for the kids.

Most of them are not unhappy. Their work doesn't define them, it is their relationships that describes who they are.

I appreciate the point you are making and I agree with it. I have chosen quality of life over income in the way I have structured my practice and professional life. I was never a "driven" person when it came to money.

However, I see a huge cross section of patients in my practice. It is only a very small percentage of them that have the freedom to make the choices that you are talking about. Most of them go to work every day to do jobs that they don't especially like and in many cases really dislike. They do it to support themselves and to support their families. They don't have the money for nice vacations, a car or boat, and can't afford to purchase a home. Savings is a challenge because they have a hard time getting enough money to pay for food, rent, gas and clothes for the kids.

Most of them are not unhappy. Their work doesn't define them, it is their relationships that describes who they are.
I grew up with nothing. We lived on scrambled eggs, and pan cakes. I CHOSE A BETTER LIFE. IN THE USA, YOU CAN ACHIEVE WHATEVER YOU WANT, AND I AM PROOF, C- AVERAGE , HIGH SCHOOL, RETIRED AT 43, IT CAN BE DONE, IT'S CALLED HARD WORK.I AM TIRED OF OF HEARING THE SAME NONSENSE OVER AND OVER AGAIN, THIS IS BULL SHOOT.IT HAS TO END, NOW,

I grew up with nothing. We lived on scrambled eggs, and pan cakes. I CHOSE A BETTER LIFE. IN THE USA, YOU CAN ACHIEVE WHATEVER YOU WANT, AND I AM PROOF, C- AVERAGE , HIGH SCHOOL, RETIRED AT 43, IT CAN BE DONE, IT'S CALLED HARD WORK.I AM TIRED OF OF HEARING THE SAME NONSENSE OVER AND OVER AGAIN, THIS IS BULL SHOOT.IT HAS TO END, NOW,

While I understand the sentiment, you probably need to wind yer neck in a bit - as we say in the auld sod! :)

Enough of the yelling as well as the attitude that just because things worked out for you that somehow requires no empathy for those not as lucky. See, unlike you, I don't attribute my success to working harder or being smarter than others, just being more fortunate and luckier. I've spent time talking to those less fortunate including those at the homeless shelter, those using the soup kitchen and battered women seeking shelter. You're proof it's possible to be successful as is my wife, but not proof that those who aren't successful are somehow lesser beings or less deserving. I know 9 out of 10 who grew up with lives like my wife had as a child suffered abuse and failed to ever escape that world. Now, back to the topic, not your rant about those less fortunate than you.

You're so right in all you say. I've seen happy who have nothing but family and friends. Generally they're the type who gracefully serve the rest of us. The janitor or maid, the cook in McDonalds. They do what they have to. The endure their jobs and keep them from impacting them. They do put their families first, far better than most executives, and they spend time with their kids.

200.gif

Re: Post #44

I'll assume the 'caps lock' was a accidental typo and that you're not yelling at everyone (hopefully).

I respect that you have come a long way and I'm sure the road was not easy. However, it is very easy to make a somewhat cavalier statement that all it takes is 'hard work'.

A hard working guy could spend 15 hrs a day, 7 days a week digging the best ditches ever seen. It is doubtful that it will lead him to the same end as you've described.

I work 50 -60 hrs a week in a stressful job. I could not retire at 43 and I can't retire now. Does that mean I don't work hard?

As for the "It has to end now". Unfortunately, you don't have the privilege of dictating what other people discuss.

I retired early, at 54, to the surprise of my coworkers. If I had stayed a couple of years longer I would have made another $1000/ month in retirement. However, my sister died unexpectedly when I was 52, and she was 53. That got me moving.

A great friend of mine summed it up like this; money comes and goes, but time only goes. Just made an offer on another boat yesterday. Live your lives now people. :dance:

Cheers, Bill

Anyone besides me learn about a friend or family member that died since this thread started? Two hours ago, college buddy, nicest guy in the world. Only made it to 60. Pancreatic cancer.

I'm actually a cancer survivor myself and when I'm king I shall decree that if you survive it once you cannot get it again.

Anyone besides me learn about a friend or family member that died since this thread started? Two hours ago, college buddy, nicest guy in the world. Only made it to 60. Pancreatic cancer.

I'm actually a cancer survivor myself and when I'm king I shall decree that if you survive it once you cannot get it again.

I'm sure being a survivor sure changed your perspective on life.

No, haven't had anyone die since this started. I've experienced the death of acquaintances, business associates, but never of anyone close to me. When my parents died, I didn't experience any grief. My wife hasn't experienced it either as she didn't even know when her parents died. We're both only children.

We do very much dread the moment and we have many older members of out newly created extended family. We have a couple of the younger girls who have experienced deaths and both watched a long progression. In both cases they lost their only real family.

No but I'm planning the celebration of life event and settling the affairs for my mother whom passed away from cancer last week. TF makes a semi decent diversion for me right now.

Sorry for you and your friend, one cancer survivor to another. Morgan Freeman said it best in The Shawshank Redemption, "either get busy living or get busy dying."

Quote:

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”

-John Lennon

I've been lucky in life I admit. I meet my wife when I was 20. We married when I was in the Air Force in 1971. We're still married. In the AF I learned electronics. Spent my entire carrier as a field service engineer and traveled the world making many friends. I'm now a manager of sorts, with no one reporting to me. I've seen many friends pass, sadly, that's life. I'm ready for retirement, and definitely middle-class. We have an old boat, a dingy, a canoe. My love is in remission from stage 3 colon cancer and I have CLL, that's life too. We intend to make the most of what we have. Thanks for the reminder.

I think I understand what you are saying, but I am not sure you grasped what I was trying (and failing) to communicate. The idea behind much of this thread is relatively simple, take the time to enjoy the fruit of your labors. Don't allow pursuit of success keep you from enjoying that success. I agree with that.

My point was simply that is an option only for the highly successful (such as most of the TF members). There are a lot of folks who are working very hard (or HARD if you prefer) just to get by. They don't have the luxury of simply deciding not to work as hard. While they have been working hard, they have not been as successful.

You are a great success story and I am impressed. You achieved a lot through ambition, hard work, and talent. I do reject your assumption however that anyone could have achieved what you did if they had only worked hard enough. That is simply not true. That is like saying anyone can become a star NFL running back if they only work hard enough. You worked hard sure, but you also were smart and talented enough to be able to turn your dreams into reality. Few have that combination of talent, ability AND hard work.

If I recall, you owned 6 auto dealerships? (Unless I am confusing biographies). You are saying that all of the folks that worked for you could have owned their own half-dozen dealerships if they had only worked hard enough and wanted to. You may have had great mechanics that worked hard to support their family and in the process grow your business, but there is no way they all could have done what you have done, if for no other reason than the market wouldn't be able to support several hundred more auto dealerships.

You're so right in all you say. I've seen happy who have nothing but family and friends. Generally they're the type who gracefully serve the rest of us. The janitor or maid, the cook in McDonalds. They do what they have to. The endure their jobs and keep them from impacting them. They do put their families first, far better than most executives, and they spend time with their kids.

Yup. Your earlier post that I had quoted simply brought the above to my mind. I am choosing to continue to work for lifestyle reasons. However, I have a choice. I could easily downsize and retire early. My only point, which I know you understand, is that those of us that even have that choice are a very small minority.

We couldn't afford eggs .
I think you were just lucky right place right time its a pity the more $ some people have the LOUDER they have to tell everyone how good they are .
And the ones that have the most and worked the hardest to get to where they are are the most humble

Just this last weekend I got an email. My next door neighbor, three months before his retirement, dropped dead of a massive heart attack while he and his wife were out shopping. Time to re-think our retirement plans...

Wifey B: I made it through the kindness of others. My family did nothing. In fact, I had to run away for my own well being the night before my 16th birthday. However, before that the librarian welcomed me always, held books behind the counter I'd started, and gave me clothes from her daughter. She also helped me develop better reading skills. See, there was never a boodk in my home. My first trips to the library were more to hide out and get out of the house than to read, but I learned to read. I could leave an ugly world and find beautiful ones. I also had one friend in school who didn't look down at me because of my parents or how little I had. Her family was perhaps the wealthiest in the neighborhood and she let me have her older sister's clothes. I was also invited regularly for dinner. Between the free meals at school and some meals there I made it. When I ran away with only what I could roll and carry and a rental storage unit I planned to live in I found others filled with generosity. The lady with the diner who hired me knew I had lied about my age. She also knew I was running and scared. A kind older lady offered me a room to help her out around the house. My first car was a Mercedes a kind customer sold to me for far below it's value, let me pay weekly, and basically tipped me enough to cover the payments.

There were others in the five years before I met my hubby. He made me feel special for the first time and he believed in me from the night we met. He asked about my dreams and we shared our life stories. When, at the age of 22, I was ready to start college, the big question was what to do. Well, I know I could have been a top sales girl, but I wanted to use my mind, not my looks and my dream was to reach kids to read. I have the librarian to thank for that.

I didn't and couldn't have done any of it by myself. Frankly, I don't believe anyone succeeds at anything just based on their own ability and with no help from others. The lady with the diner could have made one call to social services and I'd been hauled back or she could have just refused to let me work. Without the older lady, how long could I have lived in the heat of summer in a storage unit without being caught? In many ways I was like an illegal alien in that I couldn't go to social services or others for help. My hubby has always credited the great people who worked for him and a great boss, but never once claimed it was him, as amazing as I know he was.

We've got so much more than we ever earned or deserved. We have wonderful people around us who make our lives easy.

Kids are my passion as I see many who have had it tough and I can relate. Still I think about all those I don't know, I can't help, all those not presented with any decent choices. Those pushed back from every decent path they try. Those taught that crime really does pay because lets face it dealing drugs pays a lot more than sweeping floors. Those with handicaps working against them. Then I think about the kids in the cancer wards at hospitals. Children made to suffer, many of whom will never be adults.

I think of all that can happen to a 16 year old girl runaway and does every day. It's a very ugly world for many. But then many were abused long before then. I've talked to kids whose lives make my childhood seem like the country club. I've witnessed the tremendous strength of many, but I know for each of those there are many who have never made it anywhere they can get help. I've see young people make one mistake as a teen and be tainted and limited for life as a result. I've seen kids fall victim to drugs because they were the only medication that relieved the pain of their lives. I know i beat the odds and I don't know why. I can't explain why I was the lucky one to find a nice lady or an older lady just at the right time. The odds of my hubby and I being where we were and meeting the night we did were in the millions, maybe billions against. And don't say it was God looking out for me either as that would imply God was responsible for the horrors others just like me suffered. I wasn't someone chosen, just lucky.

I see those with paths blocked because they were born in the wrong country or to the wrong parents or encountered the wrong people or were the wrong color or religion or sex. I didn't do anything special to be born a blue eyed blonde in the US.

No, just lucky and I can never do anything that makes me deserving of all the good luck over others. I do try just a little to pay it forward.

Watching the basketball game tonight at halftime they discussed the death of Kenny Smith's (tv broadcaster on the NBA shows) mother. Ernie Johnson had asked Kenny what he'd like for him to say about her on the show tonight.

Here's part of it:

Her unconditional belief in me always gave me confidence. You wanna be class president? You can. Wanna make As in school? You should, you have all the tools. NBA? No problem.

She was at every event, every game, and every moment. More importantly, on her passing, she made me feel alive. Our talks made me excited and grateful and want to conquer and move forward. I will always keep that and promise to stay alive and give that to my wonderful wife and children, relatives and friends in her honor.

I hope when I’m around you or anyone from this point on, I make them feel the same way she made me feel every day: alive. Thank you, mom.​

That speaks to the topic of this thread far better than anything I could think to say. I will try to make those around me feel alive, as alive as I feel every day. In tribute to his mom, no tears but :dance::dance::dance:

Enough of the yelling as well as the attitude that just because things worked out for you that somehow requires no empathy for those not as lucky. See, unlike you, I don't attribute my success to working harder or being smarter than others, just being more fortunate and luckier. I've spent time talking to those less fortunate including those at the homeless shelter, those using the soup kitchen and battered women seeking shelter. You're proof it's possible to be successful as is my wife, but not proof that those who aren't successful are somehow lesser beings or less deserving. I know 9 out of 10 who grew up with lives like my wife had as a child suffered abuse and failed to ever escape that world. Now, back to the topic, not your rant about those less fortunate than you.

Very well said. I realize I got a leg up on most folks by being born at the right time and having the right parents. Seriously most of my success can be attributed to luck-- I happened to be in the right place at the right time, and I made a few good decisions. That's it.

If more people realized this and actually helped others who were not as fortunate instead of telling them to PULL THEMSELVES UP BY THEIR BOOTSTRAPS!, the world would be a much better place, imo.

If more people realized this and actually helped others who were not as fortunate instead of telling them to PULL THEMSELVES UP BY THEIR BOOTSTRAPS!, the world would be a much better place, imo.

My Mother-in-law did a great thing a while back. She got a call from an overseas phone scam and instead of just hanging up or yelling at the guy, she engaged him in conversation and asked him some questions.

Why was he doing this work? Did his mother know what he did for a job? Didn't he know he was hurting innocent people? Did he have pride in his job, etc.

She got a call back from him about a month later. He thanked her for changing his life and said that he had gotten a better job at a bank.

When you think about it, that simple act didn't change just his life, but everyone he will know for the rest of his life. Pretty cool.

Mysteriously, she hasn't received a phone scam call since.

Back
Top Bottom