Launch Day for the new guy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieO.

Guru
Vessel Name
Luna C.
Vessel Make
1977 Marine Trader 34DC
DF99B107-81F4-4D88-88AD-D23E5F240F6E.jpg

EA0147AF-4B48-4D2C-B7DC-5D5DAC8B694B.jpg

82D29C19-F180-450F-94CE-10DBAE5900E0.jpg

5CA8825D-7666-48AF-AF49-9CEC41E6AF2E.jpg

AEEB6C70-8DD4-4052-BBA8-2889AEC31D34.jpg
Launch Day!!!

Just need to add fuel to the one of the new tanks and get my fuel lines bled tomorrow.

Captain scheduled for next Friday to head to our spring slip.

There's no doubt about it, those CHB/Clipper/Marine Trader type 34s, have one of the nicest trawler style hulls out there. :thumb:

Congratulations!

Yippee!

Excellent. Always exciting to see the boat in the slings headed towards the water.

Thanks everyone we are excited.

Not being a confident marina pilot, we are still tied to the service dock.

It is a bit windy today and the person I thought was gonna pilot to the slip did not show up this morning.

Congrats for getting things to this point!

Enjoy our boat handling learning experience. Just remember - never be afraid of your boat. You are its master. It exists to obey your commands. Go slow and take things easy during learning and after too. There's seldom need to rush anything! Again I say... ENJOY!!

:Thank Art,
We are eager to get out there and get our experience up. I just don't want Hippocampus wife watching us on you tube.

:):thumb:

Just a couple of suggestions though you will get many.

We learned a long time ago to have fenders down on both sides as we come into an unknown slip. They reside on our side decks when not in use, not stowed away in a locker. We also have arranged fender lower end pulling lines so they can be retrieved and stowed on the deck from a window when leaving.

On both sides Mooring lines are at the ready for quick switches of sides due to unforeseen problems with the docking approach. None of this tearing around to switch sides for the fenders and lines.

FOr docking we use Camcleats for some of the lines so they are quickly to hand.

Our lines are on the long side. I have seen people with lines barely long enough to reach the dock but not long enough for a dockmate to be able to grab and actually help with such as with a cross wind or current. Yeah I know this can be also be a hindrance.

Some times the wind or even a light current can upset the best laid plans which can be salvaged if all is at the ready.

Don't be afraid or embarrassed to try again.

We are VERY carefull to secure all the lines properly once we are secure.

I have often run the boat myself and have learned some of this from some interesting experiences when single handing.

Good looking boat. Have fun with it.

Couple of tips for your trip:

Your stern pulls to starboard when you first reverse it.

That can be a big help if you plan for it. Or not if you didn't.

Inside marinas most piloting is done at idle. Any throttle is a short burst for directional change not speed.

Always try to approach a dock on your starboard (steering) side. You can see better too.

Approach the dock on an angle and use your reverse starboard prop-walk to stop you and pull your stern parallel to the dock. Very handy in locks too.

Spring lines are your friend. You should have a mid-cleated line at the ready to toss ashore. Once secure, full left rudder and ahead dead slow. The boat will try to turn away from the dock but can't and as it goes forward it is pulled parallel into the dock. You can leave it running that way until you have other lines secured and then reach in and shut it off.

Discuss docking plans with your crew before docking starts. Have a secondary plan discussed with your crew in advance as well as an abort plan. No yelling.

Locks:
Keep a big, sharp knife next to the helm in case you have to cut a line. Immediately.

The NYS Canal system locks and the Federal one too have hanging lines that are not secured at the bottom. You take 2 of these lines aboard and wrap once and hold (do NOT secure) the lines to your boat and adjust as you rise or fall. This works in all locks.

Leave your fenders down when transiting a canal with locks. No one cares.

Call each lock master on channel 13 to arrange lockage. Enter only when you see the green light - red means do not enter the lock. Have binoculars near the helm.

In NYC the lock master runs the lock from his control tower. No one is there to help you with lines. You should have crew. One near the bow and one at the stern both with boat hooks. The helmsman can replace the stern crewman.

Tie up to the right side of the lock unless the lock master tells you otherwise. Slowly come in on an angle and pull the bow up to a line that the bow crew can grab. Once they have it, reverse and give a short burst of throttle to stop the boat and pull the stern parallel to the lock wall. Place in neutral and walk back and grab the hanging line. Wrap once around a cleat, hold and watch the world around you rise or fall.

I attended a presentation where a lady described the couple's first locking of their 58' trawler. She said it was very scary. The second lock was better but still nervous. The next 150 locks were just boring. Here's hoping all your locks are boring.

It floats- good start.
Congrats

Now I am surfing YouTube to see if Hippos wife might have found one of my docking excursions.

Thanks everyone!! Just here reviewing the handling procedures from C lectric and Al.

Looking forward to taking her out ourselves soon!

Back
Top Bottom