Large container ships at anchor in SF bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adornato

Vessel Name
Sarah McLean
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot
We took a cruise yesterday in South San Francisco Bay, There are over 25 container and tanker ships anchored, backed up due to dockworker shortage in Oakland port facilities.
Most of the ships have been there over a week. And most of them have their large radar arrays twirling although everything else on the anchored ships looks dead. (No signs of crew; probably hunkered down below reading Joshua Slocum).

Question: why are the radars on? They are anchored. I do not think there is a requirement for a watch when anchored, is there?

Question: why are the radars on? They are anchored. I do not think there is a requirement for a watch when anchored, is there?

For recreational boats it's typically ignored out of practicality, but the COLREGS do require keeping a watch at anchor. Rule 5 does not specify that a look-out is only required underway, therefore it extends to being anchored.

Some big radars in standby mode still turn their antennas.

For recreational boats it's typically ignored out of practicality, but the COLREGS do require keeping a watch at anchor. Rule 5 does not specify that a look-out is only required underway, therefore it extends to being anchored.

Don't think that dawg will hunt.

Look where Rule 5 falls, under the Steering and Sailing section. By your definition, moored pierside would also count.

Hate it when boats operate their near-eye-level radars while docked at Sam's Cafe in Tiburon.

Same deal here off LA/Long Beach last time I drove through there. All container ships laying at anchor, loaded up. No oil tankers or break bulk in the waiting area.

Back
Top Bottom