Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah you’re right about resale. If you can get away with making it safe and functional for, say $250k, then you can explore the seven seas wonderfully. Use it for a solid ten years and perhaps it’s worth every penny, because on resale that 50 year old monster will be worth much less than 100k.

Here’s the thing I can’t wrap my head around: owner had the financial wherewithal’s to build it, own it for 30+ years, fuel it for 12 transAtlantics, but then it is totally neglected and decays in the last 5 years?

I believe the add said he was dead. Perhaps he fell ill and was unwilling to worry about a boat while he was declining. Dementia is also a possibility......

I spoke to the current owner. There are 5 diesel motors on that boat and not a single one works! The main engine stopped working and he had to get towed in. The "wing" engine which drives all the hydraulics does not work. The two generators leak and do not work. And even the little Lister engine which drives the emergency bilge pump. Oh, the marine gear has problems. And the hydraulic system, which is extensive and runs all the systems, does not operate. Cannot anchor, but that's not really a problem, since the main engine does not run. Apparently he towed it to Hinkley's yard down there and the mechanic still to this day cannot figure out why the engine won't run. What the F???

5 engines onboard and NONE work. Maybe time to change mechanics? Thank him for the visit, walk away until you are out fo site then run like hell.

Last edited:
I was sorta hoping my next boat would have one main engine and a bunch of solar panels.

I spoke to the current owner. There are 5 diesel motors on that boat and not a single one works! The main engine stopped working and he had to get towed in. The "wing" engine which drives all the hydraulics does not work. The two generators leak and do not work. And even the little Lister engine which drives the emergency bilge pump. Oh, the marine gear has problems. And the hydraulic system, which is extensive and runs all the systems, does not operate. Cannot anchor, but that's not really a problem, since the main engine does not run.

All 5 not working as in actually dead sounds very unlikely.

I would have thought an old lister could have been persuaded to work with harsh words and threatening it with a stick.

I would not be surprised if something as simple as a fuel issue has stopped all 5 from working.

Apparently he towed it to Hinkley's yard down there and the mechanic still to this day cannot figure out why the engine won't run. What the F???

Doesn't sound like much of a mechanic.

Last edited:
Okay that makes sense. But what about if you want to re-name it? Then bad luck will happen

I like the Blount build part, they are the real deal, been building steel passenger boats since the 50's (Luther Blount). This boat is a different animal and overpriced in my opinion. Really nice boat, workboat/industrial finish won't apppeal to most yacht buyers. The market for a boat like this is slim.

Draws 9’..

Okay that makes sense. But what about if you want to re-name it? Then bad luck will happen

Do you seriously believe this? In the 21st century? You might as well believe in Santa and fairies.........

Remember: **** Happens...... to people who don’t have their **** together.

I just love these Dutch steel boats. She's gorgeous.

She was gorgeous when the pictures were taken
3 berths and one head? (even a manual toilet - backup would be nice)
50 or 60 cycle boat
draft
size of fridge
reverse cycle A/C
tankage
generator size
ME hours
hyd stabilizers (I am getting old and want comfort)
Get rid of the teak deck, refinish metal decks with none slip paint

Yes Wayfarer, I agree, over priced.
Hmmm, IF and I say IF I bought it at an agreeable price, would the owner be willing to deliver it to the US on its bottom? Yes, I would go with him so he can teach me the boat.
An adventure of a life time.

Last edited:
Do you seriously believe this? In the 21st century? You might as well believe in Santa and fairies.........

Remember: **** Happens...... to people who don’t have their **** together.

Get a priest or minister to bless it.
:)

What??? No way. I was planning on visiting Santa during my next trip to the arctic.

I don’t believe you. I’d better go consult with those fairies I’ve been chatting with when I put my tinfoil hat on. ?*♀️

Here's another eBay charity auction boat: 1985 Chien Hwa 35' Trawler - Gulf Breeze, FL - Pensacola Beach

I don't know the boat or the seller.

It's at $8100 with almost five days left

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Chien-Hwa-35-Trawler-Florida/353071006898

s-l1600.jpg

Go to Ebay and read the information you have to agree with from "Boat Angel". IMHO anyone who bids on a boat from them, and agrees to their terms is either really Really REALLY naive, or a complete IDIOT!

Some takeaways from there "terms & conditions":

• boat is offered "as is, where is"
  • perspective bidders are NOT allowed to look at the boat prior to bidding
  • [FONT=&quot]Winning this eBay auction or transmission by any bidder buyer any funds by any means whatsoever does not guarantee or promise to the bidder the completion of the sale or grant the buyer any rights not afforded by the eBay terms[/FONT]
You gotta be crazy to agree to some of their terms!

Here's another eBay charity auction boat: 1985 Chien Hwa 35' Trawler - Gulf Breeze, FL - Pensacola Beach

I don't know the boat or the seller.

It's at $8100 with almost five days left

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Chien-Hwa-35-Trawler-Florida/353071006898

s-l1600.jpg

I've wondered about them. Never bought from them or even bid on their auctions. They sell many, many boats and still have good feedback. It works, what they do works.

Their auctions go for giveaway prices.

My guess is if you cancel a sale and pay their fee, you're off the hook. Don't know.

You realize that in IMHO, H stands for humble?

Last edited:
Went by Thunderbolt and Hinkley's below Savannah, GA today. This was out front and a few lesser ones behind.

20200511_115402.jpg

20200511_115422.jpg

And a few at Hinkley's

20200511_120412.jpg

Even a highly coveted 50' Cherubini.

20200511_120449.jpg

Ted

Back
Top Bottom