Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That (3 easily removed in the galley floor and 2 less so) and there is normally a small door at the bottom of the steps down from the saloon to the main cabin.

That (3 easily removed in the galley floor and 2 less so) and there is normally a small door at the bottom of the steps down from the saloon to the main cabin.

Thanks
So no walk around space unless hatches open?
ER pic has it looking like crawl space but could be deceptive.

Definitely not walk. It’s about 4ft headroom in the ER. Once there I can sit normally to do stuff but have to move around hunched over.
IMG_3678.jpgIMG_3679.jpgIMG_3680.jpg

Should mention that the PO in mine lowered most of the ER floor by about 10 inches. In this photo the section nearest the door would be the normal configuration IMG_3681.jpg

Definitely not walk. It’s about 4ft headroom in the ER. Once there I can sit normally to do stuff but have to move around hunched over.
]
Yeah, that's a shame for me.
Nice boat for sure but I work on the principle that if I can't easily get around down there, especially if things are hot, I am not going to want to get in there as often as I should.

6ft 2 headroom and being able to easily walk around 3 sides of the engine was a major selling point on ours.

...Nice boat for sure but I work on the principle that if I can't easily get around down there, especially if things are hot, I am not going to want to get in there as often as I should....
Our marina mechanic likes to work at night during hot weather,once sent me pics timed at 1am. Somewhat unconventional but a good mechanic.

My boat is not tight to work on except outboard of the engines, but some Rivs on the marina are really tight, with low headroom.

6ft 2 headroom and being able to easily walk around 3 sides of the engine was a major selling point on ours.

Agreed, especially on a motorboat where the engine is the heart of the vessel.

On a previous boat I had about 5ft in the engine room and that was acceptable - hunched over but not uncomfortable. I visited a builder in Turkey and the headroom was 4ft, which was a couple inches too short to even sit. Airfare wasted but well spent.

6'2" minimum hr in ER for me - or I no purchase boat! Our Tolly has wide and long dual [carpet topped hatches] that stand fully erect on piano hinges in the salon floor. They easily open to provide unlimited hr for greatly comfortable access to engines, gen set, batts... etc. I love that feature in our Tolly tri cabin. Admiral loves that feature too as well as other items it allows - like me not bitching too much when needing to get into the ER for any reason! LOL

Attachments

• 1-3-15 Engines.JPG
    1-3-15 Engines.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 1-3-15 Gen Set.JPG
    1-3-15 Gen Set.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Batt Bank New 2018 - ....JPG
    Batt Bank New 2018 - ....JPG
    146.7 KB · Views: 58
  • TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    TO - Both Engines and Genset - Looking Forward 100_0615.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 69
  • TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.jpg
    TO - Both Engines and Grey-Flex Battery Cover Looking Astern 100_0612.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    Craig, Taune, Linda Morning Coffee.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 66
Here is a fixer upper Mainship 34, in New York, on eBay, that should go pretty cheap. Runs but has oil leak. Looks like decay issues at the back door. There is a $300 charity fee above the bid price.

Auction ends Wednesday 4pm. Pacific Time??

It's a charity boat so someone might have had good reasons to give-up on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1980-Mainship-Trawler-34-New-York/362702925521

The Mainship went for $15,050, more than I guessed. It was about $7200 when I posted it here. Missed the mention of a generator problem too. It's a big toy for a little money and should make someone happy. New York must be a pretty good market.

Last edited:
Another eBay Mainship in New York, 30 foot this time, $15,000. Owner says it's ready to loop, runs good, solid decks, but not perfect. Didn't catch any mentioned of a generator. Phone number in ad.

Ends Sunday morning.

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Another eBay Mainship in New York, 30 foot this time, $15,000. Owner says it's ready to loop, runs good, solid decks, but not perfect. Didn't catch any mentioned of a generator. Phone number in ad.

Ends Sunday morning.

s-l500.jpg

Nice looking boat. Reminds me of a 30' lapstrake woody my family had for short time in the early 60's... between the years time of first owning an adorable 23' 1948 Chris Craft Express and then dad's favorite [his last one] - a 38' custom built woody, raised deck sport fisher that he and I restored and turned into a really comfortable family boat!

To the right in the photo it looks like an early 60's Chris in the 47' to 55' range.

:D :dance:

Ends Sunday morning.

s-l500.jpg
I never thought there'd be anything in NY that I would want. If I had the time and cash I could let go of, I'd go for that MS.

Can't say it is overpowered

Now that Wayfarer has taken that beautiful Metalcraft aluminum boat off the market, here is another aluminum boat to consider. She is powered by two 36Hp Deutz diesels with great prop protection and dry stack exhaust. She looks a little top heavy largely due to the dry stack. Didn't see a mention of the builder but it doesn't look like a back yard build. Would like to know more about the construction. Doesn't seem like a bad price for a 2007 low hour boat at $139K.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...rawler-37-3566936/?refSource=standard listing

Attachments

• c1.jpg
    c1.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 69
Now that Wayfarer has taken that beautiful Metalcraft aluminum boat off the market, here is another aluminum boat to consider. She is powered by two 36Hp Deutz diesels with great prop protection and dry stack exhaust. She looks a little top heavy largely due to the dry stack. Didn't see a mention of the builder but it doesn't look like a back yard build. Would like to know more about the construction. Doesn't seem like a bad price for a 2007 low hour boat at $139K.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/20...rawler-37-3566936/?refSource=standard listing

I like it. No mention of generator or water maker. Because it is a AK boat, i guess it doesn't have A/C. For long distance cruising, needs a better galley.

Last edited:

I like it. No mention of generator or water maker. Because it is a AK boat, i guess it doesn't have A/C. For long distance cruising, needs a better galley.

Nice boat in many ways. Great prop protection. ER kills it for me... 6'3" headroom or bust!

Why did they choose the water cooled Deutz engines? Dry stack exhaust and water cooling?

This thing caught my eye a few years ago when it was for sale lying Anacortes, WA.
I cannot come up with the name of the designer or builder but remember that the designer was a bit of an eccentric that was into this triple keel thing. As I recall the builder was legitimate but perhaps hull and fit out were done separately.... Seemed reasonably well built.
I went aboard her for a pretty good look. I felt like there was too much going on there for the allotted space especially in the machinery spaces. Also couldn’t get my eyes past the slab sided look to the house and unreasonable to walk around side decks.
Interesting for sure but never looked back.

Interesting boat for sure, but the lack of any side doors for access would be a no-go for me.

Looks like a professional build, except the deckhouse was designed by an engineer, not an architect. The 3 feet of headroom in the engine room is perfect for a circus midget.

Looks like a professional build, except the deckhouse was designed by an engineer, not an architect. The 3 feet of headroom in the engine room is perfect for a circus midget.

And how many midgets can one get into the ER? Ah yes, the clown car.

3ft of head room in the ER? No pilot house doors? I withdraw my "I like".

Last edited:
This thing caught my eye a few years ago when it was for sale lying Anacortes, WA.
I cannot come up with the name of the designer or builder but remember that the designer was a bit of an eccentric that was into this triple keel thing. As I recall the builder was legitimate but perhaps hull and fit out were done separately.... Seemed reasonably well built.
I went aboard her for a pretty good look. I felt like there was too much going on there for the allotted space especially in the machinery spaces. Also couldn’t get my eyes past the slab sided look to the house and unreasonable to walk around side decks.
Interesting for sure but never looked back.

Nils Lucander perhaps? He used to have some 3 keel stuff

Yesterday I was in Soluntula across from Port McNeill and took this picture of a fish boat hauled out on a marine railway. They had two railways and the other was much bigger. Had a 75’ (approx) boat hauled on it.

Thought it may be interesting to some as many have probably not seen a marine railway. May be the perfect haul for a wood boat w a straight keel as the whole keel is then supported.

Help .. please rotate.

Attachments

• D0C3341A-0A53-4544-B9F9-4729276DE330.jpg
    D0C3341A-0A53-4544-B9F9-4729276DE330.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 69
Yesterday I was in Soluntula across from Port McNeill and took this picture of a fish boat hauled out on a marine railway. They had two railways and the other was much bigger. Had a 75’ (approx) boat hauled on it.

Thought it may be interesting to some as many have probably not seen a marine railway. May be the perfect haul for a wood boat w a straight keel as the whole keel is then supported.

Help .. please rotate.

Looks MUCH better right side up.
Marine RR used to be "the thing" when I was growing up. The down side is, you needed lots of water to run the track out into the water.
About 10-15 years ago, my brother had one for is wooden speed boat.

Last edited:
It is a Nils Lucander design and is all sorts of odd. Also surprisingly small. It's been for sale off and on for years. The first few times including a custom trailer and tow vehicle. A lot of really interesting ideas as is fitting for Lucander. The engines are air/oil cooled so I'm guessing that the keel coolers are for the oil heat exchangers. As I remember when I first saw it I thought it needed a buyer who was willing to rethink what the exterior looked like and not be afraid to start cutting stuff off to try and make the look balance better. I'd start with the fly bridge and all that stuff on the roof.

Help .. please rotate.

Eric - The mid 1960's 45' Pacemaker I saw, whose keel pushed up into the bottom, was while being hauled on a marine railway. It was the keel and adjacent planks that had gotten so rotten and bug infested that weight of the boat could no longer be supported on its own lowest bottom portions.

Would a multi sling lift have transferred enough weight distribution to upward portions along the sides of the boat's bottom?????

Bottom line [pun innocently occurring] is that once a wood boat's keel, bottom planks and ribs/struts/purlins [as well as fasteners there of] reach a certain ratio/portion of rot/decay/corrosion... the ol' woodie can no longer be safely hauled by any means. Therefore it must remain inside the complete supporting capability of water... until it's leaks due to ongoing deterioration make it no longer feasible to keep the bilge dry enough to "float-the-boat".

Unfortunately... it is not always easy to pre-haul determine the real condition of a wood boat's bottom regarding items mentioned above. This is why some marinas and boatyards have decided to no longer haul old wood boats. The reason that some marinas and yards will not even berth old woodies is because too often they end up abandoned by their owners - which means - the marina too often needs to pay to discard of the boat; because no one wants it even for free!

Nils Lucander perhaps? He used to have some 3 keel stuff

https://marinesource.com/boats-for-sale/listing_details.cfm?listingnmb=100758940
Note the notes from his pen.

then,
https://marinesource.com/boats-for-sale/listing_details.cfm?listingnmb=100758940

Ignoring the ER.....

Gut the entire deck house/salon area, install 2 pilot house doors, put the galley on one side of the boat.... then rethink the salon lay out.

I still cant get over the crawl space for the ER

Back
Top Bottom