Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"... the age of sail where there was great competition to get to.."
Don't understand if you want compare sailing boat with motor Yacht ?
Or the first steamer to motor yacht ?
Anyway on the two possibilities you forgot an important side : the difference of scale between a ship an a boat ...
Between ship and yacht the scale is little different.

Also you wrote : "With integral tanks" but for a "passagemaker " you tanks will be some time half or even near empty count on the tanks for the stability it is an error who could be fatal (exept if you have also tanks for balast and keep them totally full to avoid ( sorry don't remember in English) "carène liquide" .

Hopefully at 6.90m she is not particularly a "narrow boat" .
We had one 82' with 7 beam it was not a narrow boat, only 45T low profile (around 4 m) we could maintain 10/11 kts cruise speed with our two small Perkins 6.354 185hp.

At the beginning of the pleasure yacht they built very narrow boat who made very good ( better than actually) speed with very small engine but some ...capsized.

they wrote 7000 nm range but don't said at witch speed ? Because cruising speed they wrote if remember, 9 to 12.

Too hight, too much weight up too much windage. for my taste

If you treally want be "most efficiency" you built something like Need 70... Ok minimalist but "most efficiency"

I take à look at the photo underway taken by drone for a LDL dhe move lot of water, no ?,
Comparé with this wave at 10.5 kts on a near similar sieed boat (88 loa, 82 ladeck, beam overall 7.06, wheight at this moment 44t) despote his very curious bottom design she made à nice, clear wave

Oups

Photo

Attachments

• 20240309_091029.jpg
    20240309_091029.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 8

The NED70 is a beauty in both form and function. She was for sale and at the top of my list before I bought DOMINO. I suppose a big part of her charm is the whole length to beam and efficiency thing and she is good in that regard at 4:1. But, in the end, the cat that sits on two hulls that are 12:1 made more sense to me and that has worked out quite well for us.

From their website site

HULL TYPE
Low Displacement Length (LDL)

If they describe the hull as LDL on what basis do you not? My understanding is it’s based on dimensions at waterplane and immersed hull’s relationship to lwl. My further understanding is wake conformation is very poorly correlated to drag or how easily driven a hull is. You’re right I have more experience on sail than power by a wide margin. Still I’ve been on double enders that leave little or no wake but are total dogs. Their half angle was too large and they had too much wetted surface. Yes a balanced hull leaving no appreciable wake. And on slice of pizza boats that burble leaving a large wake but scream even in light air.

Continue to believe for their length all the Arksens are LDL. Had occasion to be on a NEB ultralight one off in a squall. Was extremely tender at rest. Just one crew going from one rail to the other tilted the boat although she was over 70’. But in squall conditions was extremely rock solid. There’s a difference between static stability and dynamic stability. Looking at any one feature of a design doesn’t capture its behavior in use. We are both making conjectures about the Arksen line without sufficient knowledge to draw conclusions. See nothing you posted that allows one to conclude the 85 has an airdraft that’s too high and would benefit from not being three layers. Yes one might prefer the main helm to not be on the top level like in the vid for many reasons but to make the jump the boat is top heavy seems an unsupported jump for a MCA 0 boat. Might want to read some of what Bob Perry wrote or Nigel Irons. Look at Mr. Irons Kooldjak 23 https://nigelirens.com/boat-category/power/ for what’s possible for a Al explorer yacht. Much prefer it to the Ned as it looks just right in all features to my uneducated eye.
I know the NAs know a lot more about this than I ever hope to.

Last edited:
Compare the Ned 70 to the Artnautica 65 or the XPM 78.

https://www.artnautica.eu/lrc

The Ned is a semi planing hull (by Vripacks description) whereas the Artnauticas aren’t (by Denis’s description). The Artnauticas seem more industrial and not as aesthetically pleasing but the Artnautica might be a better boat for voyaging not just cruising. Both designs don’t have the extensive third level you object to. Personally prefer the Artnautica 65’ as it seems a boat a mom and pop could run without braking the bank. Think the Ned 70 would be more work and money. The Artnautica has no exterior paint. Simple durable systems of modest size. Great efficiency. A outside helm without the wind resistance or weight. My objection is on the Artnautica 65 in order for there to be surface area for solar the outside helm is way aft. Have grown to like a flybridge helm further forward. Allows you to see into the water immediately forward of you and what’s happening in the front when docking. Going back to traditional designs like the Nordhavn setup better than the KK for that among other reasons.
While talking about Al explorer yachts think we should discuss the Deep Water Yachts. Aesthetically pleasing. More useful space below and the 14 or 16 has more than sufficient range and interior living space if you’re not carrying a crowd. Even the 50’er went trans Atlantic. Those designs went out of their way to avoid any suggestion of appearing top heavy. Would need long sleeves and a good sun hat in the tropics or frequent visits to the dermatologist. :). Still beautiful and functional designs.

https://www.deepwateryachts.com/

Last edited:
I don't know where you read I wrote they are too heavy ?
The 65 have bear the same caracteristic than our former Long-cours 62.
I Just said probabely 5 T at around 6.5 m above the wl : no thanks it decrease too much the stability ( this discussion began on the 88).
The photo of the wave of one of our former boat put aboie it is not from à double ended ut similar dimension of the 88, even little more beam but you can see the différence of wave...

Understood. But thought you implied conformation of the wake said much about how hard it is to drive a hull. Just wanted to point out often there’s no relationship. Don’t think wake conformation is the total answer. Believe there’s many other factors involved.

The promo literature says the 88 is self righting throughout 360* and is IMA 0 so don’t think it’s unstable. Appearances can be misleading. Think many assumptions were made about stability without factual report to justify. I don’t see an AVS nor a Gz nor an incline test in the promo literature. I do see available society ratings all of which require very high standards of stability and survivability in extreme weather. This seems contrary to your concerns about being top heavy.

Have no issue with your objection to three layer boats. In fact agree with you as I find them aesthetically less pleasing . Don’t like the wedding cake look. But see no reason they cannot develop a sufficient righting arm as to be well behaved.
Much prefer the lower profile of a trawler based design such as the doggersbank 87

https://www.doggersbank.com/doggersbank-87-offshore

Think c/w the Arksen it just a very handsome boat.

Last edited:
Where you read the 85 is selfrighting througout 360°
I read that for the 75 " positive stability 180°" I présume it means up to 180° ? And not at ?
Anyway we can turn the question in all direction what I wrote at the begining " estimate 5 t ( it could be 4 or 6) at 6,5m above the wl you lost a LOT of stability"
It is just basic. Nothing can change the basic stability rule :)

What's wrong with this boat?

Arksen 85

It's a completely different approach than a Fleming 85. But we like it - especially the range. What are some negatives about this boat that we can't see through our rose colored glasses.

Compared to a Fleming 85 I think the Arksen is a much cooler boat. Personally, if I was rich enough I would rather have the 65' version. The 85' is too big and complex systems wise for me to maintain myself. Even if I had the money, I don't want to have to have crew, I want to run the boat myself. If you have the money, and want at least 1 full time crew the 85 looks amazing. The only other issue I see with it, or any boat that size is that it is too big for a lot of marina's that you might like to visit.

In terms of ultimate stability, a big deckhouse is actually helpful if it's built strong enough. Assuming the windows don't blow out and flood the boat, the large volume of the deckhouse will increase the force needed to roll the boat past about 90* and will also tend to make it less stable when inverted.

The whole design has to work together of course, and a boat with lots of weight up high may need to carry more ballast (which would hurt efficiency).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.21.01 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.21.01 PM.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.21.26 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.21.26 PM.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.27.20 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.27.20 PM.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.26.58 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.26.58 PM.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.26.40 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.26.40 PM.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.26.31 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.26.31 PM.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.26.22 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 5.26.22 PM.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I can not be buying any more boats, but this looks like a hell of a boat for the price. Gets my heart beating fast. A lot of boat for $65K. It's solid glass hull, not wood.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...wse_serp:839a0e36-b791-433d-a47d-9905c72e0be4

Ha! My brother sent me the same listing from Marketplace. I am not shopping but perhaps he is.
Archimedes is as beautiful in person as she is here in the photos. She was moored at Elliott Bay for a long time when I was there. She was also listed for sale at that time but for something closer to 400K. Not sure what happened in the meantime that she is now for sale at this strange price. Old enough to be difficult to insure but at 65K maybe she only needs liability?
I am thinking that Paul at Elliot Bay Yacht Brokers would know something about her. I think he had the listing at the time.

Ha! My brother sent me the same listing from Marketplace. I am not shopping but perhaps he is.
Archimedes is as beautiful in person as she is here in the photos. She was moored at Elliott Bay for a long time when I was there. She was also listed for sale at that time but for something closer to 400K. Not sure what happened in the meantime that she is now for sale at this strange price. Old enough to be difficult to insure but at 65K maybe she only needs liability?
I am thinking that Paul at Elliot Bay Yacht Brokers would know something about her. I think he had the listing at the time.

That is indeed a very interesting boat! Is it a single master cabin layout? That's a whole lot of capability for $65k indeed.

Of doubtful interest unless in Australia or NZ, this Masters 51 Yachtfisher with revamped(non traditional) interior is impressive. Comes with ER pics too.I`m assuming the designer is Clem Masters, whose designs were were highly regarded for sea keeping abilities. The 34 I one owned started life as the Cruising Yacht Club`s committee,race start,and rescue boat,an excellent seaboat.
https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/masters-51-yacht-fisher/308520
0_4.jpg

You are right

In terms of ultimate stability, a big deckhouse is actually helpful if it's built strong enough. Assuming the windows don't blow out and flood the boat, the large volume of the deckhouse will increase the force needed to roll the boat past about 90* and will also tend to make it less stable when inverted.

The whole design has to work together of course, and a boat with lots of weight up high may need to carry more ballast (which would hurt efficiency).

It is why when we design our LC62 the total volume of the roof (even with her low profile) was little more than the maximum displacement of 32T even the "wl" upside down don't touch the deck. It means in this (bad ) situation our beam wl will be around 3.70m and we could hope if the sea state turn us over with a normal beam wl of 4.47m it could turn back us in the right position .
If "windows" in 15mm resit ...
We also try to made the design for engine air intake, for not flooding the engine room ...:eek:

For example our former LC 62 if we built a similar wheelhouse up and ( with the proportionally in weight and high ) we lost at our "couple maxi" at 48° ...39.65% !
Our vanishing angle ( WITHOUT the volume of our roof ! with our roof we was "selfrigthing if nothing broke !) was at 97° but with 39.65% less it will happen earlier a lot !

Last edited:
Where you read the 85 is selfrighting througout 360°
I read that for the 75 " positive stability 180°" I présume it means up to 180° ? And not at ?
Anyway we can turn the question in all direction what I wrote at the begining " estimate 5 t ( it could be 4 or 6) at 6,5m above the wl you lost a LOT of stability"
It is just basic. Nothing can change the basic stability rule :)

Here you need to look at a Gz curve to see how much area is under null. In other words how much energy is required to right an inverted boat. The 180* seems to be the AVS. Have done many ocean races and passages. Among that crowd and the requirements for entry an AVS of 120 is considered adequate and 130 excellent. Surely you realize if the angle of vanishing stability is 180 the boat is self righting. Even since the Fastnet disaster folks realized the ability to slide down a wave front dramatically increased survival in extreme weather. In Fastnet as well as multiple other catastrophic events centerboard boats with board up did the best. Full keeled heavy displacement boats the worst. High aspect fins in the middle. Translating this to power ever since Dashew it seems apparent light displacement with vey modest draft not dependent upon form stability is an excellent paradigm for a safe explorer yacht. Yes weight distribution is relevant but again neither you or I have seen a Gz. We don’t know how much weight is below the waterline and how far. Don’t know the meta center or other relevant information.

Focusing on just one number seems unjustified without knowing the rest. Neither you or I have assessed downflooding risk. Unfortunately it’s not basic in the way you state. Having weight above the waterline can be helpful ( as long weight below is adequate). Sailboats are unmanageable and totally miserable to be on in heavy weather once they lose their rig. Their survival and the survival of their crew is dependent upon having the inertia of all that weight very high up. Once lost the stick in moderate conditions (bf 5-6) on a small boat (J24). Boat was at risk of becoming overwhelmed.

Please read this. Yes all their boats are self righting. A remarkable piece of engineering and design. Don’t know the numbers on your boat. Perhaps it is or isn’t self righting. One level, two, or 20 can be self righting. And one or two levels may not be. Think you’re looking at a tree and think that’s the forest. Do know multis are usually very stable inverted. Hence the need for escape hatches above the waterline when upside down. They are usually one level living. A significant part of their appeal. Do know NAs have knowledge I don’t have. They look at the totality of the design not just one element.
From Arksen website.
“Recovery from Capsize
The hull shape, stability curve and lack of a keel to allow the vessel to slide sideways to absorb wave energy makes the Arksen range extremely capable in big seas. We have designed for a worst-case scenario; however unlikely such an event might be. Assuming full water tanks, and half fuel, the Arksen 85 has 180 degrees of positive stability, giving her self-righting ability.”

In short think you’re not considering all factors. Much like the blind man describing an elephant while touching the tail. An excellent point was made above by R. Assuming downflooding risk is controlled. (Vid suggests it is). That enclosed space of the third level would supply a very large righting arm. In combination with how the immersed lateral plane is designed (no keel and modest draft) seems this boat is very unlikely to invert and if it did would self right. Hard to ask for more than that.
You may not like this design for many reasons but don’t think concerns about stability is justified. Personally would prefer to be on this boat in a seaway. My objection to hull#2 is I’d rather the primary helm not be at the third level. Less motion lower down. Makes for a nicer experience even with stabilizers in my opinion.

Last edited:
in one word

Here you need to look at a Gz curve to see how much area is under null. In other words how much energy is required to right an inverted boat. The 180* seems to be the AVS. Have done many ocean races and passages. Among that crowd and the requirements for entry an AVS of 120 is considered adequate and 130 excellent. Surely you realize if the angle of vanishing stability is 180 the boat is self righting. Even since the Fastnet disaster folks realized the ability to slide down a wave front dramatically increased survival in extreme weather. In Fastnet as well as multiple other catastrophic events centerboard boats with board up did the best. Full keeled heavy displacement boats the worst. High aspect fins in the middle. Translating this to power ever since Dashew it seems apparent light displacement with vey modest draft not dependent upon form stability is an excellent paradigm for a safe explorer yacht. Yes weight distribution is relevant but again neither you or I have seen a Gz. We don’t know how much weight is below the waterline and how far. Don’t know the meta center or other relevant information.

Focusing on just one number seems unjustified without knowing the rest. Neither you or I have assessed downflooding risk. Unfortunately it’s not basic in the way you state. Having weight above the waterline can be helpful ( as long weight below is adequate). Sailboats are unmanageable and totally miserable to be on in heavy weather once they lose their rig. Their survival and the survival of their crew is dependent upon having the inertia of all that weight very high up. Once lost the stick in moderate conditions (bf 5-6) on a small boat (J24). Boat was at risk of becoming overwhelmed.

Please read this. Yes all their boats are self righting. A remarkable piece of engineering and design. Don’t know the numbers on your boat. Perhaps it is or isn’t self righting. One level, two, or 20 can be self righting. And one or two levels may not be. Think you’re looking at a tree and think that’s the forest. Do know multis are usually very stable inverted. Hence the need for escape hatches above the waterline when upside down. They are usually one level living. A significant part of their appeal. Do know NAs have knowledge I don’t have. They look at the totality of the design not just one element.
From Arksen website.
“Recovery from Capsize
The hull shape, stability curve and lack of a keel to allow the vessel to slide sideways to absorb wave energy makes the Arksen range extremely capable in big seas. We have designed for a worst-case scenario; however unlikely such an event might be. Assuming full water tanks, and half fuel, the Arksen 85 has 180 degrees of positive stability, giving her self-righting ability.”

In short think you’re not considering all factors. Much like the blind man describing an elephant while touching the tail. An excellent point was made above by R. Assuming downflooding risk is controlled. (Vid suggests it is). That enclosed space of the third level would supply a very large righting arm. In combination with how the immersed lateral plane is designed (no keel and modest draft) seems this boat is very unlikely to invert and if it did would self right. Hard to ask for more than that.
You may not like this design for many reasons but don’t think concerns about stability is justified. Personally would prefer to be on this boat in a seaway. My objection to hull#2 is I’d rather the primary helm not be at the third level. Less motion lower down. Makes for a nicer experience even with stabilizers in my opinion.

you describe what we designed 30 year ago :lol:
- small draft
- relatively light
- alloy raw material

- LDL
- dagger board (who could be lifted to help as you describe for the Fasnet)
- enough volume in the topside to obtain selfrighting..

BUT like, I wrote before, if we made (in proportion) the same type of superstructure than the 85' Arksen we lost 39% of our maximum stability...

It good to be selfrighting AND keep the original stability to avoid, or at less , later need the selfrighting ability :lol:

Our former LC62 upside down the wl will be on the side of the roof, I just checked, 240mm before the deck.
It means upside down : wl 3.780m , the deck 240mm above water line and the center of gravity 1.232 mm above this new wl.

As you wrote we don't looking only one thing, I wrote also : windage

For example 20m2 6.5m above wl who receive a wind of 50kts it is how much 800kgs pression x 6.5m, to the same you must put 1500kgs on the side.
You are right don't focuses only on one thing.

In 96/97 we made a small drawing to built a ...power trimaran, we discuss with Joubert concerning this project ( a 21x 7 m boat with volume of a ...12x4m motor boat :):nonono::facepalm: ) but the design was sleek more similar to the Adastra than the Neel. In 2005 we discuss with Nigel Irens ( father of 2 interesting power trimarans, finally he preconise ...catamarans (because he said "not sure 3 hulls will make less drag than 2 " :)
But always both said " keep the superstructure lowest than possible, even on multi hulls.
Actually I am playing to "design" a small power trimaran (17/18 x 6.4 with the volume of a ... narrow 10 motor boat:eek:)Not exactly power tri closer to a stabilised very narrow monohull.

May be IF: I sold our actual boat, find a boatyard who can built the hull at an acceptable price and still alive long enough I will play that for the "fun".But the price became totally crazy

24 year ago built one hull in France for 10€ per kg
12 year ago built one hull in Vietnam could be for 9€ per kg

9/10 years ago built in Poland could be for 17 € per kg
Now in France it is around ................ 45€ per kg
Now in ....Russia could be 22 € per kg

In 24 year the price in France x 4, we can't built one hull any more in France, May be I will initiate a treat

Attachments

• au sec.JPG
    au sec.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Hoa2.JPG
    Hoa2.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 10
BUT like, I wrote before, if we made (in proportion) the same type of superstructure than the 85' Arksen we lost 39% of our maximum stability...

It good to be selfrighting AND keep the original stability to avoid, or at less , later need the selfrighting ability :lol:

That's where the whole design has to work together. Adding that much superstructure may require added ballast or other changes to the boat for it to all work as a package.

With that many huge windows in the house and second story, the chances of it remaining watertight in the sort of conditions that turn it over are not 100%, or perhaps even 50%. In fact the static pressure of the water alone might be sufficient to blow them out. They will be 6' under, each 3x4' window will have 2 1/2 tons of pressure on it. I know they won't do it, but a test like was done on the Elling E4 would be interesting. He said his boat would survive a rollover and proved it. That's Elling sitting inside.

Capsize

The "sliding down the wave sideways" theory has been discounted by Southhampton U, in their many tests of wave induced rollover. The most vulnerable boats in the Fastnet disaster were not heavy full keel boats, but lighter IOR boats which had moved ballast up into the hull to gain a rating advantage. That has three consequences: lower AVS, greater area under the inverted curve, and just as important, lower roll moment of inertia.

This boat came in last night. He sailed nonstop from Coos Bay Oregon. About 2500 nms away. A Frenchman with two crew and a dog, he only stopped because the Gulf of Tehuantepec is blowing hard or he would have continued to Panama, and the on to France. He misses his wife.

Not sure how long he's been gone. He transited the Northwest Passage. I haven't read his website but it's at www.Breskell.com. His father designed the boat and he built it in 1986. I'd guess the owner/builder is in his 70s.

Peter

Attachments

• 20240310_100201.jpg
    20240310_100201.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240310_100217.jpg
    20240310_100217.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 18
Those french sailors are seriously hard core.
And a little crazy.
HW

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom