Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No bridge and Volvos... Oh well! :D

With the raised forward pilothouse offering what would seem to be reasonable visibility, I could live without a flybridge.

Volvos wouldn't be my personal first choice for engines (and would probably be my last choice). But how many 1964 38 ft Chris Craft Roamers, updated and seemingly in nice condition, are left in the world? This might well be the only one.

With the raised forward pilothouse offering what would seem to be reasonable visibility, I could live without a flybridge.

Volvos wouldn't be my personal first choice for engines (and would probably be my last choice). But how many 1964 38 ft Chris Craft Roamers, updated and seemingly in nice condition, are left in the world? This might well be the only one.

Those didn't have a flybridge originally anyway. And they're unusual for Chris Craft in having the helm that far forward. Actually, the whole layout is a bit unusual for the time.

You're absolutely right that there just aren't that many Roamers still out there (steel or aluminum models).

For me: No Bridge = No Deal! Volvo = No Deal!!

I'm old-school/new-school wrapped into one! :rofl: :popcorn: :speed boat:

For me: No Bridge = No Deal! Volvo = No Deal!!

I'm old-school/new-school wrapped into one! :rofl: :popcorn: :speed boat:

I guess you have to be a geek for those oddball old Chris Crafts like I am to appreciate something like this.

But don't let perfect be the enemy of good (or good enough). For those (probably few) die-hard fans of metal Chris Crafts out there, this one might be one of the best if not only ones left.

Here's another one, an aluminum Roamer. No flybridge, but also no Volvo engines, still has it's original old-school iron CAT D333's:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1968-chris--craft-roamer-8435283/

Attachments

• CC R2.jpg
    CC R2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 35
I guess you have to be a geek for those oddball old Chris Crafts like I am to appreciate something like this.

But don't let perfect be the enemy of good (or good enough). For those (probably few) die-hard fans of metal Chris Crafts out there, this one might be one of the best if not only ones left.

Here's another one, an aluminum Roamer. No flybridge, but also no Volvo engines, still has it's original old-school iron CAT D333's:

That's definitely a much more typical layout for the era. I've got the same helm placement on my boat. Only 1 helm to buy electronics for and it's like having an aft pilothouse, but outdoors. You're further aft for pitch comfort and not quite as high up as a fly bridge for a bit more roll comfort. The view isn't quite as good as a fly bridge, but I'd say it's still quite good.

There's a very nice (from what I've seen of it) aluminum hull 48 foot Roamer Riviera (late 60s build) buried in the back of the storage shed at our marina under cover. Not sure what the story on it is though and nobody has touched it in the 3.5 years we've been here. Looks to have been put away with fresh bottom paint, well finished wood, etc. though.

That's definitely a much more typical layout for the era. I've got the same helm placement on my boat. Only 1 helm to buy electronics for and it's like having an aft pilothouse, but outdoors. You're further aft for pitch comfort and not quite as high up as a fly bridge for a bit more roll comfort. The view isn't quite as good as a fly bridge, but I'd say it's still quite good.

There's a very nice (from what I've seen of it) aluminum hull 48 foot Roamer Riviera (late 60s build) buried in the back of the storage shed at our marina under cover. Not sure what the story on it is though and nobody has touched it in the 3.5 years we've been here. Looks to have been put away with fresh bottom paint, well finished wood, etc. though.
There are a few big metal CCs being used as liveaboard in Toronto. One of them is a real beauty, 47(?) Aluminum, diesel repower.

Nice Ol' Chris! Love her pilot seat's "wet bar"; brings back decades ago memories when I was avid imbiber! Age-old fridge is a kick.

But... for me/us, She Needs a Flying Bridge. We feel that part of power boating is being-in, experiencing, enjoying the elements [not as much as a blow-boat] and seeing far as possible over the horizon for clear 360 degree views [Texas Tower not required]. As well... very important items such as... ease of berthing, setting/retrieving anchor, beam-in at fuel dock, keeping an eye on deck conditions and watching for flotsam while cruising can not be matched by other pilot station compared to sitting or standing up on a fly bridge! :popcorn: :speed boat: :dance:

PS: Always good idea to have pilot station in salon too... for sea condition and weather reasons. One added reason is simply redundancy... I like redundancy of needed items on boats.

Last edited:
I am late to the FPB discussion here, but had a few thoughts I might add. The FPB has been my absolute dream boat for years and I had the pleasure this summer of making friends with the owners of one on our summer cruise to Alaska. We ended up hitting it off and buddy boating for about 3 weeks around SE Alaska. It was a thrill to get to spend a bunch of time on an FPB and see its strengths and weaknesses first hand. To cut to the punch line, They are amazing machines, and would absolutely be my first choice if I wanted to do multiple ocean crossings, but for coastal cruising between Washington and Alaska, I am less excited about them than I was due to the major compromises built into the design. Some of my observations on why it wasn't as cool as I thought it would be for costal crushing.

- It is huge! Despite being a "64 foot" boat, it is closer to 75' long over all. For comparison in the picture below, our sterns are about lined up, and my boat is 56' over all (Which also feels huge coming into unknown marinas.) The size made it very stressful to bring it into marina's and small anchorages if you had any adverse wind, or didn't know exactly what you were getting into. It is a big boat for a couple or single handed to bring in and tie to a dock. It limits where you want to pull into and check out. It is also really long which would make moorage hard in some places, although it didn't seem like much of a problem in Alaska where we were.

- Talking with an owner about the actual expenses to own it was eye opening. Keeping it in the top condition it deserved was more expensive than I though it would be. Just the insurance was $45K/year!

-I love the great room layout! It is so sweet underway or at anchor. I would take it any day over a traditional trawler lay out. The 360 view is so sweet when you are sitting at anchor or underway. It is great to be able to cook dinner while underway, and not be shouting between different rooms with your wife. I think there are curtains you can put up if you want light isolation. I don't buy all the worry about light isolation in the pilot house. In my experience bringing my boat across the Pacific from Hawaii to Seattle it was a non issue. Nobody wanted to be up cooking or hanging out that much anyway during the night. And the person on watch was usually reading a book or watching movies or something that probably blew out their night vision anyway. With modern Radar and AIS you would see out into the darkness 10x better than you can with adjusted eyes anyways. If you were in a high traffic area where you were worried, it doesn't seem that hard to just keep the light off at night. It would be different if you were on a commercial boat that was operating 24/7 in costal waters, or during the winter when it gets dark super early. The bedrooms were perfectly adequate in the FPB, but definitely small for a 75' boat.

-The outdoor spaces were disappointing. The fly bridge feels cramped with 4+ people. The back deck space is fine, but not that great for hanging out. There was super comfortable outdoor space for 6+ people to hand out and have dinner, which seems lame on a 75' long boat.

-The speed was super sweet. Our boat cruises closer to 6.5kn(my biggest complaint about my current boat.) We would raft up at night, then leave about 3 hours before them at 5:00 in the morning, to get to the anchorage about the same time in the evening. I would love to have a boat that could cruise in the 9-10KN range, and think it would make the Alaska trip quite a bit more fun, but there are much cheaper ways to get there than an FPB.

-This is a very regional complaint, but it is no good for Salmon fishing. It can't really go slow enough, and even if you were to idle along on the wing engine, it is so tender without the stabilizers, that don't run off the wing, it would be miserable. Also the stabilizers don't work good anyways t 2-3kn.

Since my personal cruising plans don't involve crossing any oceans in the near future the FPB has moved down on my list of dream boats for the time being. It also made me like the boat I have better. It can really do anything/go anywhere the FPB can but slower, and at about 1/4 the used purchase price, and 1/4 the operating expenses. My current dreams for the next boat are for something a little faster than my current boat. We took about 9 weeks to do the Alaska trip and it was too many really long days at the helm. But even if we didn't have a kid in school limiting the time we had available we didn't have much desire to make it a much longer trip. We have too many other things we want to do at home and away from the boat. It would be really nice to have less time chugging along, and more time to mess around at the anchorages, and more time to fish. I am currently dreaming about a faster monohull in the 40-50' range, preferably Aluminum, or a power cat in the 38-48' range. I think that would be the ultimate if I could find a home berth to keep it in, which is hard around here.

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpg
    IMG_1301.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Open eye on expenses

Thanks for advising us about expenses of maintaining a 75’ trawler. Seems to be exponentially higher with each foot.

Our Albin 34’ Bridge trawler is reasonable, insurance about $1100, maintenance about $3000. The unknown is diesel around $5/gallon. Our Cummins 359hp is good at 8-19 knots. Storage, hauling, shrinking additional $2500.

Think we’ll stay small, meets our needs.

Hey Snap,
Just because I know you like to go get your next boats from very far away, here is an idea for your next one based on your post above.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2007-malcolm-tennant-45-catamaran-motor--yacht-7505030/

I have looked at that boat many times, I am not confident it is up to crossing the Pacific to get it home to the PNW. It was in the same marina in Fiji I bought my boat out of. One of the video's the broker sent me of my boat being moved to haul out, had that cat picking up a bow line in the background.

I have looked at that boat many times, I am not confident it is up to crossing the Pacific to get it home to the PNW. It was in the same marina in Fiji I bought my boat out of. One of the video's the broker sent me of my boat being moved to haul out, had that cat picking up a bow line in the background.

Hop it over to Australia using the bladder and then put it on a ship to the PNW. Given how steep the discount on this boat is due to where it is, I think it would still be a bargain by the time you got it here. That is a lot of boat for that kind of money.

Thanks for advising us about expenses of maintaining a 75’ trawler. Seems to be exponentially higher with each foot.

Our Albin 34’ Bridge trawler is reasonable, insurance about $1100, maintenance about $3000. The unknown is diesel around $5/gallon. Our Cummins 359hp is good at 8-19 knots. Storage, hauling, shrinking additional $2500.

Think we’ll stay small, meets our needs.

Capt P - You about matched my 34' Tollycraft's annual costs: $6.6K +/-. Plus fuel.

Pretty inexpensive overall! :dance: :speed boat:

Last edited:
Excellent post SD3 with much salient information. For me Denis’ Artnautica 58 holds greate interest. It’s a much simpler boat, truly 58 LOA so much better suited to mom and pop use in a coastal setting but still having long legs.
Useful interior room isn’t much better than my current boat but you’d be paying for 60’ in a slip and when on the hard. Broker says ~17-20k / y for insurance with my expected program (NA never in the zone during hurricane season).
Economically envision slip fees and periodic storage as the killer. Even being super efficient those savings aren’t of the same magnitude.

Annual costs

Capt P - You about matched my 34' Tollycraft's annual costs: $6.6K +/-. Plus fuel.

Pretty inexpensive overall! :dance: :speed boat:
Thanks verifying our annual cost on similar sized trawler. 34’ is reasonable dockage fees. I’m not a fix up polishing guy, usually find a reasonable non-Marina handyman. as our boat is 1989, we’re not winning any beauty contest. We are spec and span with everything working. This comes from years as private airplane pilot. It it is there, it must work 24/7, no last minute surprises. Safety is first.

Thanks verifying our annual cost on similar sized trawler. 34’ is reasonable dockage fees. I’m not a fix up polishing guy, usually find a reasonable non-Marina handyman. as our boat is 1989, we’re not winning any beauty contest. We are spec and span with everything working. This comes from years as private airplane pilot. It it is there, it must work 24/7, no last minute surprises. Safety is first.

I agree Capt P... Safety First! With ease of mind an automatic runner up!!

We've owned our 1977 Tolly for 15 yrs. She was in really good condition when we got her. Only substantial items that needed up grades was forward head and rear head. During horse-trade to complete the purchase I'd gotten a $3.5 discount for head refurbishments... new black-tank installation and other items. Had a professionally licensed Raritan installer do all the "head" work for us. Ended up costing $3.3K... so I came out $200.00 ahead on that deal! Otherwise, from there on, just general not too costly repairs and maintenance items. She's still a healthy beauty! :thumb:

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6102.jpg
    IMG_6102.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6100.jpg
    IMG_6100.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6105.jpg
    IMG_6105.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for information, much help.

Like your stern entrance. Swim ladder and stern ramp very similar to our Albin. I wonder on both if the 2 foot stern is counted in the 34' design or is that an extra two feet we have to watch when backing.

Anchored nearby over the weekend was an all carbon McConaghy MCP36p foil assisted powercat.
1500nm at 20kn and the first time I have seen a sealegs as a tender.
Owned by Team New Zealand America's Cup CEO Grant Dalton it seems.
20230206_111727.jpg20230206_112420.jpg

Thanks for information, much help.

Like your stern entrance. Swim ladder and stern ramp very similar to our Albin. I wonder on both if the 2 foot stern is counted in the 34' design or is that an extra two feet we have to watch when backing.

Step is not included in the 34' boat-deck length; i.e., stem to stern. LOA with step and small/short anchor pulpit added on = 37' +/-.

Anchored nearby over the weekend was an all carbon McConaghy MCP36p foil assisted powercat.
View attachment 135835View attachment 135836

Nice in a totally silly kind of way.

Think of the cost savings of Kevlar/Eglass with a thicker core to get the same strength vs carbon
Or even aluminium

Think how much extra miles that saving over carbon can buy.

View attachment 135835View attachment 135836

Just a truly amazing vessel.

Weight to strength carbon is far ahead. For any modulus of measurement. Downside compared to Al is carbon shatters and Al stretches with impact. Other is with lightening strike. If you can avoid marelon thru hulls Al has a better chance to survive. There’s a reason prepreg has replaced Al for virtually all serious RTW, foilers, America cup boats. Even for cruisers most lust after CF masts, rudder posts and such.
But agree given you can work Al with standard wood working tools and only need a TIG in addition for the cruiser Al makes more sense.

Last edited:
I don't think cost was much of a consideration in hull material. I see the ocean version is USD5 million now, give or take.
McConaghy build most of the big race boats that matter in the southern hemisphere, Rambler, Alfa Romeo, the various Wild Oats, the new AC40s etc.
I would worry about the carbon foil. With our boat we have two one meter wide hulls to consider hitting something, and mostly on very strong points. With the MCP63p you are carving a 9m wide swathe through the ocean which if you hit anything it would be voyage over.

Nice in a totally silly kind of way.
Think of the cost savings of Kevlar/Eglass with a thicker core to get the same strength vs carbon Or even aluminium
Think how much extra miles that saving over carbon can buy.

Wonder how many of those hull types will still usable in 20 - 40 years?:whistling:

Wonder how many of those hull types will still usable in 20 - 40 years?:whistling:
Lots of 20 year old carbon sailboats are still solid. And that builder is one of the best in the business.

You don't amortize something like this over >20 years. That's ok.

It depends on the life they live, exactly how well they were built, etc. It's hard to put a real lifespan on most boat hulls. Some have turned out to be hard to keep in good condition as they age, and plenty of others have been shown to easily last far longer than the original designer would have expected anyone to want it for.

With the MCP63p you are carving a 9m wide swathe through the ocean which if you hit anything it would be voyage over.

No knowledge of the boat, but it wouldn't be catastrophic would it? Head for the next big port?

I guess I'm thinking of something in the water, rather than on the water :)

It depends on the life they live, exactly how well they were built, etc. It's hard to put a real lifespan on most boat hulls. Some have turned out to be hard to keep in good condition as they age, and plenty of others have been shown to easily last far longer than the original designer would have expected anyone to want it for.

Such as CC's, Tolly, Uni, Hatts, Eggs, GB's and several others... Mfgers, back in the day, built some sturdy crafts! :thumb:

No knowledge of the boat, but it wouldn't be catastrophic would it? Head for the next big port?

I guess I'm thinking of something in the water, rather than on the water :)
My guess it would be designed as sacrificial but still quite some repair to get it back to mint.
My friends with Bladerunner alloy foil assisted cats tell me getting the foils set up correctly is as much art as science.

Back
Top Bottom