Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... with respect to induction stoves, I absolutely love these new silicon non-slip/non-skid things that you put in between the stove and the pot or pan. This seems very sensible to me.

That's what a lot of guys have been reporting here - one of the two reasons for not needing fiddles on stabilized powerboats. The second reason being the 95% rule.

Still I like the idea of short ones just to keep crumbs and garlic powder and small water spills (in my case... big ones) from dumping on the floor all the time. Could probably even live with them on the dinette table top, which has always been horrible on sailboats I've been on. Have you ever tried to eat dinner at a table with 2" high fiddles???

@Mako wrote:
Have you ever tried to eat dinner at a table with 2" high fiddles???

I have. The other problem with continuous fiddles is cleaning. Strategic flat spots in the corners makes that a LOT easier.

Have had fiddles with short bronze posts in the bottom. Those fit into bronze holes inserted into the table or other flat surface. Have also seen fiddles on hinges with a spot you press down to release the hinge. The removable ones worked just fine except it was a minor annoyance to store them when not needed and to clean out the holes.

Was once on a restored 12m for a tour. The main dining table was on two gimbals so stayed flat with heeling. No fiddles. Suspect not a perfect solution as you wouldn’t nor was pitching accounted for. Have heard of berths being put on gimbals as well.

A square dish with the edges bent up and non slip on its bottom has worked for me. If it lumpy enough eat out of a bowl. Like a square meal ( ring knockers aside). Love the old glass ship decanters with the exaggerated wide bottoms. Wish I had room for several of those on the trawler.

Last edited:
Hammocks in general are terrible. They look like a great idea, but in practice not so great. I mentioned it only because it brought back memories of my father (WWII Navy) telling me about sleeping in hammocks on boats.

That's a beauty and Outer Reefs have a great rep. Is all that exterior teak real wood? Seems like it is....

Yes it is, unstained, so I like that, but it look a bit grainy if that is the correct word to use.

Nice boat, but seems a bit narrow and frankly, cramped for a 62-footer. When available on the resale market, in similar price-point and usage, my friend's Horizon PowerCat 52 might catch your fancy. Here's a 15-min video walkthrough.

https://youtu.be/JX0es8qMi04

Peter

Yes, cramped is what I thought. It seems tall, but with the "destroyer bow" as one broker put it there is more room in the vip forward. I watched the hour long video and was surprised at what a sea boat they say it is, and how little spray if any at all the boat makes. It has useful features like skyhook so you can press a button and remain still or joystick dock.

As for the cat I saw that as I look every day. I like the cats, stability and lots of room, good speed if you need it. But it is the docking I do not like, I have been told that many marinas will charge for a double slip due to the width.

With all due respect, this is hyperbole. The FPB's have thousands of miles, many into nasty conditions. It is a different design approach, one that has been around the West Coast for over 50-years - thin wave-piercing bow that goes through vs over the waves. This doesn't mean submerged, it means cleaving the waves. While I agree with TwistedTree's evaluation that the FPB is designed for 5% of cruising at best, it definitely excels at the 5%. There is no powerboat under 80-feet better for going into Force 8 headseas. Period. I can tell you from experience that while a Nordhavn is nice and water tight, it's a typically awful ride in head seas - it breaks waves and the wind tosses as much on-deck as can be imagined. It feels like you are dropping off a cliff into an elevator shaft. This is not a flaw for Nordhavn, it's normal. They have a fair amount of bow flare (reserve bouyancy). Bill Garden, designer of my Willard, was modest about bow flare. Ed Monk was generous with bow flare. Grand Banks' designs are generally low on the bow-flare/bouyancy scale, even compared to the DeFevers that are similar - look closely at a Defever 40 compared to a GB42; or a Monk 36 compared to a GB 36. It's a different design approach. Wave-piercing design doesn't mean it causes telephone poles - it just means the designer made a choice to accept a wet ride to reduce pitching. Dashew, in my opinion, made a great choice for the intended use case - the FPBs are designed to outrun weather predictions, better or worse. His boats have passages of up to 5000 nms - you WILL hit bad weather on that type of passage. They have done fine.

Here's the backstory: in the 1960s and 1970s, California had quite the boat design/build scene. Along comes the Wizard, Bill Lee of "Fast is Fun" fame who designs Merlin, the design template for the Santa Cruz 52 fast-crusing boat of similar class to the J120's and other fast-cruisers of the era. Merlin, Bill Lee's first effort, demolished all TransPac records and set records that helpd for over 30-years. Merlin was a stiletto that went through instead of over waves. Wet ride, but fast and relatively comfortable. No telephones - not even kinda.

The FPB is definitely built to be underway. But make no mistake, it excels at being underway. Take nothing away from her.

Peter

I agree! They are out there doing it....and have been for years

To me, these boats have their priorities all backwards, heavily optimized for the <5% time at sea that even the most traveled boats spend, and heavily compromised for the >95% time at anchor, coastal cruising, and in port.

The sailboat hull and lightweight build definitely gives improved speed and much better fuel economy and subsequent range. That's very attractive. But in nearly every other way, I would make different choices on the boat.

I have never understood the "great room" design, especially considering the boat's mission of ocean crossing. For any night operation, it seems essential to me that the piloting location be separate from the living spaces. This is why we have pilot houses, so they can be kept dark at night without plunging the whole boat into darkness. The great room seems more suited for a coastal cruising boat that seldom sees night operation.

A master stateroom on a 65' boat that doesn't have a separate head? Really? The sink is in the stateroom, and you step directly from the stateroom into/out of the shower? Thankfully there is a separate toilet room. And the guest bathroom is a wet head? I would expect dry heads in anything over about 40'.

The staterooms are all dark, with at most one overhead hatch. It's living in the cave of a sailboat. Add some port lights.

It looks like the only way to board the boat comfortably e.g. at a floating dock level is on the extension platform. It looks like anywhere else you will need a ladder or steps. This is why trawlers have companionways and boarding gates.

I can tell you first hand that these boats are very rolly with a round hull, shallow draft, and no keel. I helped Steve Dashew reposition Cochese and he made a maneuvering turn at slow speed and the boat rolled enough to dump a bunch of stuff off the galley counter.

And I see desks in the middle of hall ways, etc. etc.

If it were Water World and we lived our lives circling the seas, I would get it, but for how most everyone uses a boat, it seems backwards. Pleasure power boats have evolved from sailboats over the past 50 years, and this seems like watching that movie all over again.
Having been on a number of FPBs, I would fully agree. And add, that they are technically/systems-wise close to perfection - and also butt-ugly to my eye.

A lot of us ex sailors miss our sailboats but like the speed of our motorboats and not being draft restricted. Don’t see living aboard a ldl as a hardship. Just different boats for different folks.

1990 De Fever 40

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/power-boats/defever-40-passage-maker/288175
For the De Fever fans, and fans of ER pics in adverts(looking at you RTF).
34_4.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. BK. Post#12823. On cursory inspection and given the boat is a 1990, I'd rate that ER about a 7/10. Nice.

That is truly a spectacular vessel. Maybe the guy on the other thread about high-end finishing out an uncompleted trawler should take a look at this interior. A few things:
  1. Where is the 3-phase electric being used?
  2. Do people not install compasses anymore at their helms?
  3. Would a hefty price like this hold its value? No matter how gorgeous, a wood vessel is always a tough sell.

Attachments

• 0_4.jpg
    0_4.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 303
240V @Mako: Re. the 3-phase—on my last boat we had three phase and each phase fed a different load zone on the boat, in an attempt to spread the boat's loads as evenly as possible between the three phases (two fridges, two freezers and washing machine on one, air conditioning on another, and electric cooking/lighting/etc. on the third).

And yes, I could not see a compass at the helm position, either.

I like the Portuguese bridge, and adding a lot more solar did not look like a problem!

That is truly a spectacular vessel. Maybe the guy on the other thread about high-end finishing out an uncompleted trawler should take a look at this interior. A few things:
  3. Would a hefty price like this hold its value? No matter how gorgeous, a wood vessel is always a tough sell.

I have no clue on this particular boat, but on one of mine, there is a three phase 400v supply that only serves the windlass.

One I've always liked sold recently
Similar styling to ours but on cat hulls and aluminium

Was never actively advertised, word of mouth sale including 2 years of advance bookings so I was told.
Knowing how much a weeks charter is for her I figured the boat was pretty much free.

Attachments

• photo2_940x400 (1).jpg
    photo2_940x400 (1).jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 48
I think the lack of compasses is because of the growing reliance on electronics, but personally I would still want one.

I couldn't help but notice that there are no hand holds anywhere, and no fiddles on any of the tables/countertops. Sad that basic seamanship items are missing on a $600k aud boat Maybe it's not meant to leave the dock.:nonono:

A lot of us ex sailors miss our sailboats but like the speed of our motorboats and not being draft restricted. Don’t see living aboard a ldl as a hardship. Just different boats for different folks.
Right. Sailors are going to be comfortable on any big powerboat.

You could have

the 380 phase on genset and only use the 220 2 phase everywhere in the boat (or keep some heavy think in 380v for example windlass, crane)
for example like on one of our former boat 380v dispatch from this "small" panel to different use in 380 or 220

Attachments

• Tableau 380v et chageur Tb.jpg
    Tableau 380v et chageur Tb.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 37
The problem with 3-phase on a windlass is the startup in-rush current. Soft start capacitors are more effective on single phase than 3-phase. The solution of course is to install a VFD for ultra smooth as silk variable speed and ramping up. Of course, that's another microprocessor in the mix. Luckily they are not that expensive, so best to carry multiple spares in your Faraday box.

the 380 phase on genset and only use the 220 2 phase everywhere in the boat (or keep some heavy think in 380v for example windlass, crane)
for example like on one of our former boat 380v dispatch from this "small" panel to different use in 380 or 220

Yet another use for 'electrical' tape.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting (to me) boat - an old steel Chris Craft Roamer. You don't see one of these every day.

This one has been refit (to an extent) with newer engines. I've always loved the styling and layout of the old Chris Crafts, and have trolled the ads for years looking for the dream refit one.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1964-chris--craft-offshore-8680462/

Attachments

• CC.jpg
    CC.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom