Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW,
"Taswegian" means relating to Tasmania, island state to the south of eastern Australia; "Cray" means crayfish, aka lobster.

Lovely boat and their website is excellent. Thanks for sharing!

Are there difficulties insuring a timber boat down there in the southern hemisphere?.
There are a few nice ones in the states but insurance is a pain in the butt.
HOLLYWOOD

Depends
Seems to be difficulties here insuring any vessel that is actually used regardless of construction.

Being a full time cruiser not in a marina is more of a problem for many.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 42
It had me until I read "wood decks"
'

Hmm... you made it farther than me - I was lost at $5.3m!

I'm sure if you offered $5.5m they'd take off the wood decks for you. It's only (imaginary) money :)

The video is pretty impressive, especially the engine room. Not my style, but fun to look at anyway.

On the same idea, but a new Cheoy Lee.

https://clyachts.com/range/clx96/

I'm more of a traditionalist, although this one made me look twice and will probably look again.

With a recent review on Yacht Forums.

https://www.yachtforums.com/review/cl-yachts-clx96-sav.36623/

Wow. No longer a boat or a ship, but an SAV! that's a new one on me. Price? Anyone else think it's funny that you'd build this beautiful environment but find the need to sit on the little island off the stern by yourself?

Last edited:
Well, I drive a BMW X1 which I thought was an SUV, but they call it a SAV (sport activity vehicle), so maybe I already own one! Much less than $5M!

Have never liked big expanses of glass on a boat. Especially in the hull. I know their supposed to be as strong as the hull if not stronger but can’t get my mind around that. Rather see something that can handle a point impact isn’t dependent upon adhesives and can bend before it breaks. Also like fix not replace for surface damage. Also like things that can be fixed in low tech areas of the world.
The trend to put glass in the hull is now decades old but I still don’t like it. Aesthetically it just seems wrong. Don’t mind small port lights in a flush deck boat but don’t like it in wedding cakes.

My slip neighbor on Lake Union painted his dome the same cream color as his hull. It was really nice. Subtle. I wouldn't think there would be any signal or power loss from a few microns of paint.

Anyone know of any side effects of such?

Not sure the camouflage paint job helps the boat go unnoticed ...

Attachments

• DSC_0020 (1).jpg
    DSC_0020 (1).jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 66
My slip neighbor on Lake Union painted his dome the same cream color as his hull. It was really nice. Subtle. I wouldn't think there would be any signal or power loss from a few microns of paint.

Anyone know of any side effects of such?

I doubt the paint is an issue in performance. I'm wondering if the electronics manufacturer warranties cooked electronics inside the dome and radar. Black paint in the summer sun just seems like a recipe for cooked circuit boards.

Ted

I doubt the paint is an issue in performance. I'm wondering if the electronics manufacturer warranties cooked electronics inside the dome and radar. Black paint in the summer sun just seems like a recipe for cooked circuit boards.

Ted

How about reflective black!!?? :lol: :popcorn: :facepalm: :D

Not sure the camouflage paint job helps the boat go unnoticed ...

As a weekend-Somali pirate, I have no idea where to hook my boarding ladder. Oh well, guess I'm going home now.

Attachments

• DSC_0020 (1).jpg
    DSC_0020 (1).jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 191
Really like all the korvets, Artnauticas and Arksen. But for me the pick of the litter is the Arksen 65. Truly suited to long term family cruising anywhere in the world and like the no nonsense form follows function lines of her. A good design. Runnable by mom and pop but real stateroom sleeping for 6. Excellent range and not genset dependent at anchor. Would do with Humphrees if mostly ocean and Magnus if doing more skinny waters.
Recreational North Americans seem to have a preference for grp but as time goes on think even on this side of the pond we’ll be seeing more of this type of vessel. Wish a North American house did a similar series production of this type of vessel. The Gerr Kanter is in the ballpark but think the European, Circa boats make use of more current thinking.
A 50’ deep water did transatlantic recently without issue. Believe she was less money than the N51 and much less wait time.
In the tropics cruisers commonly wear black if in the shade and white if in the sun. Thinking is if in the shade black allows you to radiate more heat. Still agree for a dome of any sort silver or white would seem to be more logical.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom