Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love this old Gulfstar and her very full 360 degree visual command.

Not sure about the rudder and prop locations tho.

Pretty sure there were changes there also. This was a 15 year project while still working.

Ted

We looked at the D.Gerr boat when boat shopping. Wife didn’t like the interior and I didn’t like engine access so we passed. The concept was very intriguing. She was on the hard in a shed at the time but looking at her suspect she’d be a rolly boat with no stabilization. However if we had a different program much to say for her. Unlike other woodies would suspect maintenance no worst than grp.

.... This is an old Gulfstar sailboat that he converted into a pilothouse trawler. You can still see the Chain plates in some of the pictures.

Yes. Also left the granny rails on either side of the mast. It does look nicely done. For a diehard singe-engine lover, in some ways this is more interesting than the Gulfstar 43 Mk1 foot trawler that invariably came with twins.

Peter

Also like how he did his dock lines. Just looping them around and bought back to the boat. A good way to do it when single or short handed. Another reason to not have spliced in loops on dock lines.

Also like how he did his dock lines. Just looping them around and bought back to the boat. A good way to do it when single or short handed. Another reason to not have spliced in loops on dock lines.

No reason you can't do that with spliced loops. You just put the loop on the boat cleat first, then feed the other end around and cleat off back at the boat. That also tends to take up less cleat space than having both ends tied.

We use that approach often with spliced loop on the boat same as typical dock line. Feed it through the cleat vs just around it and then back to the boat. Works well if more than one boater using a cleat ashore.
It's our favorite method if there is any question about kids or others messing with the boat at night. They need to get aboard to untie. We have done this for 25 yrs after being untied one night in Ottawa.
The additional benefit is ability to cast off without need to get off the boat. One fwd & one aft line usually last to cast off.

Just think it’s good to be able to leave suddenly if necessary. Your way is excellent as well. Find it easier to uncleat than work the loop out. Left if a hurry once when we smelt smoke that seemed to be coming from another boat. Turn out to it in their galley and they put it out with a blanket. No biggie and not any damage to their boat. But know not infrequently multiple boats go up in flames. Didn’t see any people so thought leaving wouldn’t change things. A little traffic jam as others left as well.

Just think it’s good to be able to leave suddenly if necessary. Your way is excellent as well. Find it easier to uncleat than work the loop out. Left if a hurry once when we smelt smoke that seemed to be coming from another boat. Turn out to it in their galley and they put it out with a blanket. No biggie and not any damage to their boat. But know not infrequently multiple boats go up in flames. Didn’t see any people so thought leaving wouldn’t change things. A little traffic jam as others left as well.

Even with the loop if you've run the lines back to the boat you can leave fast. Just uncleat, yank it free of the dock cleat and go. If the loop isn't through the center of the cleat it doesn't take much slack to just pull the loop off and abandon the line as an alternative.

Attachments

• conrad-classic-58-204017_5c0f9bc58efe9e.jpg
    conrad-classic-58-204017_5c0f9bc58efe9e.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 40
Awesome looking boat. Anyone know the asking price?

Before, few year ago, they put a price ...$$$$$$ but now only

For the inside : my dream

For the outside : my nightmare (varnish, varnish, varnish...)

Still wondering the asking price, not that I can afford it. Anyone else notice not all pictures are current? Some show everything outside nicely varnished, others show weathered wood. Maybe some of the pics are stock or brochure pics?

Awesome looking boat. Anyone know the asking price?

On request. So frustrating.

BTW especially when by myself or short handed still like to get all lines off the deck or secured on rails and fenders put away. It was then (not immediately upon leaving) I want to clear the deck as quickly as possible.find it quicker with a line cleated not pushed through the center of the cleat then around. Don’t like loops around cleats except as a interim thing. Hard to get off if under load.

Last edited:
Still wondering the asking price, not that I can afford it. Anyone else notice not all pictures are current? Some show everything outside nicely varnished, others show weathered wood. Maybe some of the pics are stock or brochure pics?

Varnish can weather between clicks of camera shutter! Just kidding... sorta! :lol:

Varnish can weather between clicks of camera shutter! Just kidding... sorta! :lol:

I don't think you're kidding at all. For me varnishing has always been like the old jokes about painting bridges: you're never done. You start, and by the time you're done, you have to go back and start over again at the beginning.

Almost 20 years ago I had a 36 ft Sabreline with a moderate amount of exterior brightwork. I was determined to find some coating that would last longer than the flashbulb lifespan of varnish. After doing intensive research, I concluded that Bristol Finish, a two-part polyurethane, was the answer. The company told me that each coat should last a year, and multiple coats would last multiple years.

I paid someone to spend many days scraping all the old varnish down to bare wood. I then applied 10 (ten) coats of Bristol Finish. I felt so smug, I thought if each coat lasted a year, with 10 coats I'd be looking at a decade of varnish-free bliss.

The Bristol Finish didn't even last one year. Before the end of that first season it was peeling, chipping, cracking, yellowing, and in general behaving just like varnish.

Now I won't buy a boat with any exterior brightwork. As much wood inside as possible, but none on the outside. I don't have enough time left to live to deal with exterior brightwork (or money in the bank to pay someone else to do it for me).

I don't think you're kidding at all. For me varnishing has always been like the old jokes about painting bridges: you're never done. You start, and by the time you're done, you have to go back and start over again at the beginning.

Almost 20 years ago I had a 36 ft Sabreline with a moderate amount of exterior brightwork. I was determined to find some coating that would last longer than the flashbulb lifespan of varnish. After doing intensive research, I concluded that Bristol Finish, a two-part polyurethane, was the answer. The company told me that each coat should last a year, and multiple coats would last multiple years.

I paid someone to spend many days scraping all the old varnish down to bare wood. I then applied 10 (ten) coats of Bristol Finish. I felt so smug, I thought if each coat lasted a year, with 10 coats I'd be looking at a decade of varnish-free bliss.

The Bristol Finish didn't even last one year. Before the end of that first season it was peeling, chipping, cracking, yellowing, and in general behaving just like varnish.

Now I won't buy a boat with any exterior brightwork. As much wood inside as possible, but none on the outside. I don't have enough time left to live to deal with exterior brightwork (or money in the bank to pay someone else to do it for me).

I love the look of it but even on my small boat it is a major pain! And I am no good with the brush so I have to send it off to be done. But..she sure is purdy when she's done up right. Time for a facelift again. Hinkley SW Harbor did it the last time, that will blister your wallet.

Attachments

• IMG_8426.jpg
    IMG_8426.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8428.jpg
    IMG_8428.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8429.jpg
    IMG_8429.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8422.jpg
    IMG_8422.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8420.jpg
    IMG_8420.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 37
  • 20201013_134119.jpg
    20201013_134119.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20201024_133052.jpg
    20201024_133052.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    60.1 KB · Views: 42
I love the look of it but even on my small boat it is a major pain! And I am no good with the brush so I have to send it off to be done. But..she sure is purdy when she's done up right. Time for a facelift again. Hinkley SW Harbor did it the last time, that will blister your wallet.

1960's application memories...

I will ask for the actual price

who is also "vat not paid"

If we don't speak about the problem of the price level for me two "problem"
very low freeboard and the wheelhouse far forward my estomac don't like :eek:

who is also "vat not paid"

If we don't speak about the problem of the price level for me two "problem"
very low freeboard and the wheelhouse far forward my estomac don't like :eek:

VAT = Value Added Tax.

Hmmmm, a Go Fund Me page? Suuuuuure. That will work. :angel:

I don't see new engines? Is there a reason nobody will post the asking price if known?

Back
Top Bottom