Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

I think that’s an old wife's tale.

There are elements of beauty and those that spend their lives in art or industrial design can usually (almost always) identify beauty when they see it.
In the elements of beauty there are beautiful shapes that can be identified over not so beautiful shapes. Sometimes the elements of beauty can be identified by artists and designers but I suspect they sometimes don’t know what it specifically is.
But the word beautiful exists so there must be an essence that is unique. An example of an element of art/design is when shapes of common forms are grouped w similar shapes it is good. And a lot of one shape w one form very different is most often bad. Like a boat w slightly slanted windows and also w one round window is visually confusing and undesirable.

But the saying “beauty in in the eye of the beholder” is nonsense. If that were true beauty wouldn’t exist.

And if you’re about to jump me for thread drift consider that “interesting” boats has a lot in common w “beautiful” boats. And some boats are beautiful because they are interesting. But to call this visual philosophy isn’t too far off either.

Last edited:
The Dannenbrog is the real deal, beautiful boat. The Lady Bahi is a bit of a fake for sure. I thought the Lady Bahi was interesting from a couple angles and the woodwork was impressive, but the main detractor was the fantail, which had tinted windows all around and was quite unattractive. There were some cool features though, on the top deck was a Hacker Craft runabout and it was launched by a crane hidden in the fake funnel. Pretty cool trick.

Attachments

• IMG_3990[1].jpg
    IMG_3990[1].jpg
    118 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3991[1].jpg
    IMG_3991[1].jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Reactions: Art
Scott - Thank you! That ship/Royal-Boat is simply gorgeous!!

I think that’s an old wife's tale.

There are elements of beauty and those that spend their lives in art or industrial design can usually (almost always) identify beauty when they see it.
In the elements of beauty there are beautiful shapes that can be identified over not so beautiful shapes. Sometimes the elements of beauty can be identified by artists and designers but I suspect they sometimes don’t know what it specifically is.
But the word beautiful exists so there must be an essence that is unique. An example of an element of art/design is when shapes of common forms are grouped w similar shapes it is good. And a lot of one shape w one form very different is most often bad. Like a boat w slightly slanted windows and also w one round window is visually confusing and undesirable.

But the saying “beauty in in the eye of the beholder” is nonsense. If that were true beauty wouldn’t exist.

And if you’re about to jump me for thread drift consider that “interesting” boats has a lot in common w “beautiful” boats. And some boats are beautiful because they are interesting. But to call this visual philosophy isn’t too far off either.

This literally may be the most ignorant thing I've read in my life.

Emm xxiii

EMM XXIII

EMM XXIII is the former Swedish minesweeper, M23. Built in 1941 and already obsolete at launch. It has since been converted into a luxury live-aboard motor yacht. It spent a year in a small harbor about 500 meters from where I live. Quite impressive. Even more impressive is how they managed to get it in and out of the tiny harbor. Not easy!

You can find some pictures of the impressive interior here:
https://emm-xxiii.webnode.se/bildgalleri/

Attachments

• M.jpg
    M.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 436
  • M23_1.jpg
    M23_1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Reactions: Art
EMM XXIII is the former Swedish minesweeper, M23... You can find some pictures of the impressive interior here:
https://emm-xxiii.webnode.se/bildgalleri/

Beautiful interior, but honestly if my boat looked like that I would cry out of depression - way too dark and dreary. When I was a young sailor I loved that Hans Christian type interior, but as I get older I prefer lighter, more modern, European looks.

Funny how our tastes change over time.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 9.29.12 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 9.29.12 PM.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 56
That’s a good looking boat.

Strange looking hull from the stern though? Or is that a normal fishing boat hull for the west coast? Not much draft other than the prop and rudder?

Last edited:
This literally may be the most ignorant thing I've read in my life.

Well you don’t seem to have much to say.
If you’re going to state your case you’ll need more words that that.
You’ve got an attitude that’s a given but w so few words I can’t tell if there’s any substance behind your few words.
Better luck on your next post. But don’t bother sending it in my direction.

Strange looking hull from the stern though? Or is that a normal fishing boat hull for the west coast? Not much draft other than the prop and rudder?

What bit(s) seem weird?

Last edited:

A couple of thoughts on the hull. First it's hard to get a scale for how deep the hull is at the stern or how big the prop is. I'm thinking the prop is pretty big. On the order of 36" to 40". If I'm right about that a lot of clearance is needed. Second a fishing boat that size is designed to carry many tons of ice and fish. When converted to pleasure use unless a lot of ballast is added she'll ride high out of the water just as she did in her fishing days before being loaded down. Of course it's all speculation without actual dimensions.

I think looking at her hull and lines she'd make a fine boat for the PNW serious cruiser. Not enough of the interior pics to tell how comfortable she's be with respect to layout etc. From a livability standpoint fishing boat conversions can be a challenge.

What bit(s) seem weird?

I guess I was surprised how “flat” the stern was. It’s not totally flat obviously, but I was suspecting more of a rounded displacement hull for some reason.

Ok – this is not an interesting boat. Nevertheless, I thought it was interesting enough to share…and couldn’t find a better home for it.

We passed this marine shop in Cuxhaven, Germany, on our way to the Mediterranean in 2019. I can only conclude that their sales volume had slipped to the point where they needed to expand their offering. You have to click on this picture to enlarge it in order to get a better idea of what I’m talking about.

Attachments

• CHAVN.jpg
    CHAVN.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 131
Beautiful interior, but honestly if my boat looked like that I would cry out of depression - way too dark and dreary. When I was a young sailor I loved that Hans Christian type interior, but as I get older I prefer lighter, more modern, European looks.

Add more lights.

A lot of displacement hulls are flat at the stern, for instance:

9MhYNd8j23NnMLIkCahvO47hdJwreMUFiruaDgl58s2PfM_5mvjNzVKxOqyaODqPvL6zAYZLr6u-aC9-sYJ0a7sb7_2vLd1MXyS26AOan0BnGSStEAznkt2xSNkMANGJ5s_Rfmbv4XA15JtC1VgaaKDBg8dN1eHScCrMra4yUvteeNIeeUmzUV9qn9qT7l0POmvGGumtKSbQZMNACPCKseG-aPKfqNA3FfKEEyaWEHPjsJ-BAzFgJxG1qDcBdKWKMpFOiq0ppjoVXnpesUhT7ywZ210iQ1ugt8qjyod_EdpnK-FXgtWyZFuL6JXH6DVk5WY3X-Xi08_dZgRibAWEc1cf68zFjeajcPw-9itNcUwIhcZvx62KAIv7PMsXLNC1_UxKM3pqw5MQBTQdY9PXfDvM7WP_1as2HqQNtjE3n2onUSwucQAi8z2b5fPR8-DDfP5iFnCQzgpzt_lmuP8_wbVbbHgbuiToywcrCpdfZudZ5JB1TMokW8rrklv2wVbc07L208i7jbPE6xtntR3J7j33ZVg6aliQOkuF-vnXT_JEglmrqv0fQAtmn0wS9mi5tlAayLt2QSRpmt7-A15xx0ZgRxS4AhhUt93Vz6-I6vUBgqyEZFwzf4tSKzYV5czcN7Be9bEipWK9TmFXf2G4_IfGKCcFHydb8o53vai2KfayFBLrhg_l0FYZMYCR=w800-h600-no

Rsf-ZRA101Fj2amOlTkDAOBhTXUfdqS93EQwy3XjYCHHoGoaNnK71oqbMxSQfHtiSVCqQudQqdvrG0JoPk8CB-N4e6T2IqPy1g3p8Ny37NAt0RfeDbCRvVwbSUQSH7dPyFmJ5h0rWDAlZWGLrfRGRwjASZye9eLw-ZlsLU3dW-gr8Vhcpx3C-ZXnqbnUpeTixWothT34P9W80QHaYnHYdrOZoEMPP9zDAINI2RBG-AlnHj9Fpy4_hvpuhG5ZGTi7qmwA1EJOjh7TjcH51IR0BQEZCJi9_OEU9OfsM2olwHalvhx5hoA8Pui4h_ipW-kbv6tRvIGCj0CSuIg0RCKSo9WPf-u650vZbSDynWYtP_Ekw-gA5k1lnfSawdX-MDqfQp4-M_vb0vSJkQeCgVAedYC4gKpN-XTMTOdv-mWAbIOrBlUdeZXGB6PPtfUx7j1_wFce6Ar1DqRW2xtitVmFoQMzfwWNwVve8EtWNYNwu6VBbbecUO5mnvWW0UVFo1Jt6JGfiV_-tJzHbk6rTvAvBoPjfp9Ca6QTGSc65kaSkcfQskwAnhC58Pq1YTKDoskIK3JY5VQF5tqQ5Re4M-eEjT16u7zTRdfgmh3J-A5DtS8C7z-L9X7WCNiy-PWncIbAADcutTaWNG5hYk5I-ybMuoJqcYZ1dNFI_x5DdybpaQ1qHy8Ybyo7ip2fBpDh=w1300-h872-no

Looks to me like the “Ocean Revenge” has her flat vertical stern part submerged only when overloaded. Yes FD. Otherwise the bottom of the transom will be above the WL.
The other boat looks like a FD boat owner wasn’t happy at FD speeds and modified his stern for more speed. I’d call it semi-displacement. The flat/vertical part of the stern is always submerged except when running at high speed.

Last edited:

LOL a party boat? Notice the berths in the saloon?
LOTS of berths on board.

LOL a party boat? Notice the berths in the saloon?
LOTS of berths on board.

Well, it really was a minesweeper - so I am guessing that those are probably original crew berths left in place (???) Anyway, the setup certainly could make for a good party boat. I saw some indication on one website that maybe the boat was available for charter at one point, but am not sure that's the case now.

So here's something I just saw a few minutes ago - the new Ranger Tug 41. The RTs are very cool boats and highly successful, but honestly what I see in that photo is extremely awkward looking. Practical for sure, but sometimes aesthetics are important also.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so strange if the 5ft long swim platform didn't have to have it's own bimini top as well.

IMO

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 9.32.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 9.32.20 PM.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 60
So here's something I just saw a few minutes ago - the new Ranger Tug 41. The RTs are very cool boats and highly successful, but honestly what I see in that photo is extremely awkward looking. Practical for sure, but sometimes aesthetics are important also.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so strange if the 5ft long swim platform didn't have to have it's own bimini top as well.

IMO

Agree. Square off the bow and you almost have a vintage Nautiline houseboat...

Good one Spy.
Out of the same style box to be sure.
I like some details on the Rangers though.

Bet that Ranger handles nice. Looks like plenty room for comfort.

Bimini over swim step too high to do much for sun-shade... except for maybe at high noon... decent protection for seagull droppings too!

Looks to me like the “Ocean Revenge” has her flat vertical stern part submerged only when overloaded. Yes FD. Otherwise the bottom of the transom will be above the WL.
The other boat looks like a FD boat owner wasn’t happy at FD speeds and modified his stern for more speed. I’d call it semi-displacement. The flat/vertical part of the stern is always submerged except when running at high speed.

Incorrect on both counts.

The first boat is an actual trawler. The working waterline is there for a reason. It is designed to hold lots of its cargo. It would only be overloaded if the water went above that waterline.

The second boat is a stock Nordhavn 62. As "FD" a pleasure boat as there is. Here's the scale model of one:

vppW6AGMLCHgm6s4eNx8Tw-JbSWj1s8uOZ_s6RbqbxqylRTufvMynRbzMYwgaNYXwrPa2HNm0y_7bva0m7zfxU5EsULyxf1ozFUQigSvmD0Rnx5Fo4uc6GN9bUCLQJ79VaKIKNeEb6200wVY5wwhpX9_YXaigsLsa8ML6SAyiL5WQKLV7LdIxOtqhGBGauLlk-ceVE9lgWDgXDu1L12WKluFFoFGK4oYbjOaAntETEk_bVMZIgrS3pyKxNwu1ZvP1iDSntmd6fJRCEl32IxxLIvbZ4OhR-xNvJCJJ8hqaWKlvF4ZHvvAR-guPFGe2xyjmpcRqGqbXnoOEWGCpZrg74eJv3aVyA6KUbc_QcPOMzYC3D8u-iZyQnGUd4ZXrq_XRWUpWI2H-V5RZFGWLW0fr6YwqWDX9z77LUkPaQ6ZxtH6KnZViN5fJ_F1_6zV23HBn8N-1fT_YyK4mdb7JDVCECbwX-6NsYk4SUQ0E9nrB9CY5pUDZ1RjZWotebQQ90XfSMaGKM5PM1Jd5ePwv34OGFgnVSY8M9bqdCLZ66dWUflBQte8zzNtued04auejF6SztLN_n1vFEhjqyVMYN5OoE84YCGwl_YVXNayaj5wXdL_ALpgFw7Mo7gze3Y6SRuW4t7ak9KfHsgzt3E09hnbceUTstS4cAE3dawlxKc9CsenOLVoFQRNorgq25PV=w850-h638-no

Maybe some study of Gerr's "The Nature of Boats", or Beebe's "Voyaging Under Power" would help you understand hull form better.

Last edited:
Caltex,
What appears to be the design WL is just red paint. Bottom paint. Most all boats paint AF well above the WL. If you overload you sink deeper in the water .. above the design WL. Fishermen overload when there’s so many fish they almost sink the boat to get as many fish onboard as possible. But then the vessel isn’t operating as designed.

Re the NH 62,
On boat design.com one of the favored definitions of FD revolves around the QBBL... Quarter Beam Buttock Line. It’s the angle of the hull bottom along a line just ahead of the point where transom meets bottom.. one quarter of the way from the keel (of CL) to the chine. You can see the angle on the NH is zero degrees .. or about. By the QBBL method of identifying hull forms the NH is a planing hull. Obviously not but it indicates it’s not what we consider to be a classic FD hull either. It has a flat section all the way aft (like a planing hull) AND a partially submerged transom all the time. So one can say the NH is a hybrid of a planing hull and a FDHull. Some of it’s shape is clearly planing .. but the majority of the hull is FD. Most accurately stated it’s a modified FD hull.

Check out boat design.net.
The only NH that’s a classic FD is the NH46. But most all the others are very close to classic FD. Close enough to call them such.
But all those except the 62 have QBBL’s typical of FD boats.
But the 62 does not. I call it a hybrid FD. Part one and part the other.

I now see Bob’s beautiful Seafarer above.
Many would classify Bob’s boat as FD. And I suspect Bob put her up there as an example of a FD hull. .... less so than the NH. The Seafarer has (assumably) a straight run aft or nearly so. That is (like the NH) a very near to zero degree QBBL. But unlike the NH Wayfarer’s QBBL runs way far fwd ... like a planing hull. And a strong case could be made for calling it a planing hull. Clearly (and some would argue) a SD hull. But a SD hull IMO. Given 3000hp Wayfarer would do 50 knots. FD hulls don’t go 50 knots .. unless they are an aircraft carrier .. w the WLL necessary to accomplish that. So she’s SD. And FYI rounded chines can be found on planing hulls, SD hulls and FD hulls. But rounded chines are more often found on FD hulls but there are many many hard chine FD hulls. Great Harbor .......

Bob that boat of your’s is reallly LONG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom