Old 12-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Oak Island, NC
Vessel Name: Pawseidon
Vessel Model: Navigator 4600
I also have the Nikon StabilEyes (same as Fujinon). 14x40 with 4į stabilization. They are remarkable and would not go back to "normal" binocs unless these were not available.

Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #22

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
The Canon's are attractive due to pricing. We had a pair and sadly had to ditch them after 6 years when the rubber became so sticky they were useless. We now have the FUjinons - one year in and very happy so farr

AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 AM   #23
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
I also have the Nikon StabilEyes (same as Fujinon). 14x40 with 4į stabilization. They are remarkable and would not go back to "normal" binocs unless these were not available.
I can't find the Nikon product available on Amazon, or elsewhere, but you're saying they are the same as the Fujinon 14x40?
Old 12-08-2018, 12:14 AM   #24
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
DDW, could you explain that? I don't think I understand the difference. Does it mean that you can jiggle to 5 degrees with the Fujinon but only . 8 degrees for the Canon?
That is correct. 0.8 degrees is plenty for hand shake, but not plenty for a nice seaway.

Fujinon makes 2 models, a 14x40 and a 12x28. Nikon also sells them under their brand (at least they look identical). The knock on the 14x40 is they are heavy, the knock on the 12x28 is they are not waterproof.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 12:22 AM   #25
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
After our Steiners were stolen, we bought a pair of Canon 8x25IS. We enjoyed them so much, we now have his and hers units. I probably used mine for an hour today.

They were on the economical side of the Canon range. We would buy again. Once we are out cruising full-time, we will invest in something more.

We are in Cap Sante tonight...is your boat here?
Old 12-08-2018, 06:23 AM   #26
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
So assuming one isn't married to Mrs. Butterfingers, are they robust enough for boat use?

I think so. Mine have never had a problem. I donít baby them, but I do make sure to put them down on their side, not up in end, and in a place where they canít go walkabout.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Oak Island, NC
Vessel Name: Pawseidon
Vessel Model: Navigator 4600
Quote:
I can't find the Nikon product available on Amazon, or elsewhere, but you're saying they are the same as the Fujinon 14x40?
There is one difference between the Nikon and the Fuji's.
The Nikon has a switch that let's you put it into two modes: land and on-board, whereas the Fujinon is always in on-board mode. The on-board mode is more general, it compensates both for movement of your platform (walking, boat or vehicle movement) AND for movement of your hands, whereas the land mode only compensates for movement of your hands. I think this feature is worthless as I always use the on-board mode.
I did see one on Amazon but it is priced way high. I picked mine up (used) on a boating forum for about $500.
Woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:03 AM   #28
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
We've had the Canon 12 x 36 IS since we started cruising in '08. We use them EVERY DAY. I like most that they're compact, no awkward battery pack with a wire that will break, they are a shape that's easy to use, not heavy, and about the right magnification to read boat names from a distance. The stabilizing is great, as others have noted, once you have it you'll always pick up the IS set.

My only complaint with the Canon is that the rubberized housing gets gooey and sticky. Have had them rebuilt once in the interim to the tune of 75% cost of new. Bad choice but it snowballed from the original estimate. Canon's service is very responsive, if expensive. The housing was replaced at rebuild, but it is again getting sticky and we've been careful to keep them in a case when not in use. So it's something that is going to happen in time. For that reason, I probably wouldn't repeat purchase, but I love using them if not for that one messy shortcoming.

Friends had the Nikon 14X with the external battery pack, they were terrible. OK optically, but like handling a brick on a string, and the power wire to the flopping battery pack was intermittent. I repaired it, but it's a lousy ergonomic design.
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #29
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Our experience with this one:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...lar-37852.html

We found eye relief, weight, and degree of stabilization to be our most important selection criteria. (YMMV) All those specs are available on each maker's website.

Wifey has said she appreciates my purchase.

Some related threads here:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ars-32879.html
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ars-29565.html
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ons-21744.html
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...lars-3675.html
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...lars-6018.html

-Chris
Old 12-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #30
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
OK, what causes the rubberized coatings on devices to become sticky? I have encountered this on a variety of devices, and it's really annoying.

UV? Residual sun screen? Residual bug replant? Just plane crappy materials?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:43 AM   #31
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
After our Steiners were stolen, we bought a pair of Canon 8x25IS. We enjoyed them so much, we now have his and hers units. I probably used mine for an hour today.

They were on the economical side of the Canon range. We would buy again. Once we are out cruising full-time, we will invest in something more.

We are in Cap Sante tonight...is your boat here?
We just returned after a few days out piddling around. Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Fujinons are best for moving platforms like boats....
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #32
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maerin View Post
We've had the Canon 12 x 36 IS since we started cruising in '08. We use them EVERY DAY. I like most that they're compact, no awkward battery pack with a wire that will break, they are a shape that's easy to use, not heavy, and about the right magnification to read boat names from a distance. The stabilizing is great, as others have noted, once you have it you'll always pick up the IS set.

My only complaint with the Canon is that the rubberized housing gets gooey and sticky. Have had them rebuilt once in the interim to the tune of 75% cost of new. Bad choice but it snowballed from the original estimate. Canon's service is very responsive, if expensive. The housing was replaced at rebuild, but it is again getting sticky and we've been careful to keep them in a case when not in use. So it's something that is going to happen in time. For that reason, I probably wouldn't repeat purchase, but I love using them if not for that one messy shortcoming.

Friends had the Nikon 14X with the external battery pack, they were terrible. OK optically, but like handling a brick on a string, and the power wire to the flopping battery pack was intermittent. I repaired it, but it's a lousy ergonomic design.
A number of reviews of the Canons mention the rubber going soft....
Old 12-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #33
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
OK, what causes the rubberized coatings on devices to become sticky? I have encountered this on a variety of devices, and it's really annoying.

UV? Residual sun screen? Residual bug replant? Just plane crappy materials?
I wonder if Armorall would maker it better or worse?
Old 12-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #34

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Since I had the same problem with my long since replaced Canon unit as well as the air vents on my 1999 Ferrari. I did some research on this and it is apparently just rubber returning to its natural sticky state. Rubber is treated "vulcanized?" to become a solid and spends the rest of its life slowly returning to the sticky liquid state. This does not of course explain how some rubber products last for decades without becoming sticky. The answer must be that Canon and Ferrari are using a lower grade of product or an inferior vulcanization process - which is disappointing in several respects.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #35
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
There was a Customs and Border Patrol go-fast boat with 4outboards next to our slip last night. They went out on patrol, but before they did I asked them what kind of binos they used and was told Fujinon. Evidently they hold up in that sort of environment: a wet open 35’ RIB with nearly 1600hp and long travel suspension seats. Apparently they Never Slow Down..........

Currently anchored outside of No Name Harbor and on the way down I took a closer look at my Canon’s: turns out I must have a different model than the one under discussion. Mine are marked 18x50 IS UD 3.7* All Weather so perhaps they have 3.7* of stabilization and are at least water resistant?

BTW, no degradation of the rubber armor yet.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:32 PM   #36
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I have the canon 10x30 and the 15x50, I just bought a pair of Fijinon 12x32 to replace the 10x30. The rubber on the 10x30 is just beginning to deteriorate. The lower power units are fine on the rivers, I bought the 15x50 pair for use on the Great Lakes. I havenít used the Fujinon enough to rate between the 10x30 canons, Iíve had the canon for several years and would never go back to non-stabilized binoculars. I use mostly for reading the mileage on daymarks, channel markers and boat names. The fujinon are heavier but have excellent optics and if there isnít any deterioration of the rubber coating Iíll give them the win.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #37
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
I have the canon 10x30 and the 15x50, I just bought a pair of Fijinon 12x32 to replace the 10x30. The rubber on the 10x30 is just beginning to deteriorate. The lower power units are fine on the rivers, I bought the 15x50 pair for use on the Great Lakes. I havenít used the Fujinon enough to rate between the 10x30 canons, Iíve had the canon for several years and would never go back to non-stabilized binoculars. I use mostly for reading the mileage on daymarks, channel markers and boat names. The fujinon are heavier but have excellent optics and if there isnít any deterioration of the rubber coating Iíll give them the win.
Thanks Ron,
Old 12-14-2018, 01:55 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Fujinon

I have the Fujinon and am very happy with them. Keep the battery pack out of them when not in use.
Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #39
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moondance View Post
I have the Fujinon and am very happy with them. Keep the battery pack out of them when not in use.
Which model?
Old 12-14-2018, 02:45 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Not sure of the model. I believe they are 14 x 40.

Moondance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
binoculars