I feel sorry for this couple....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just saw the name, "YABA"

Yaba is the Thai name for Crazy Medicine, Nazi speed
Methamphetamines and caffeine.

https://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/frontpage/yaba-the-crazy-medicine-of-east-asia.html

Good review you linked.

My folks who were both in WWII spoke of need for "uppers" when the going got tough and sleep became unavailable.

1974 - 1984: I owned and ran a masonry construction company in upper [no pun intended] Sierra Nevada Mts. meth was pervasive; as well as speed pills as a back up.

"Yabba Dabba Do" - Insignia sound out of Fred Flintstone's mouth as his feet went a thousand miles an hour under his stone automobile at cartoon beginning. Cant help but to wonder the actual meaning/reference???? LOL

Last edited:
Its become our sunday show along with mv freedom. I find the woodworking interesting. Obviously they have figured out a source of funding via you tube. This level of rebuild is really a new build. Not sure any original wood will remain but it looks like there enjoying the experience. There young and will have stories to tell there kids.I also like the yard dog.

Any got the link readily available to the boat rebuild couple's video? Months ago... last vid I watched was beginning of keel/stem replacements beginning installation as well as rudder location demo.

Thanks! - Art

Art

Ndear 40 years ago 3 young French people do the same they bought a really sinked boat , it means they dive to saw her the first time ! (in a canal in the area of Dunkerque)

Former fishing boat, we meet them in La Rochelle around 36 years ago when they start their first journey... If you type "Notre Dame Des Flots" I thinks you could find some info on the net, and saw their travel everywhere around the world !

I appreciate that!

Having basically caught up on the videos... I can say: Crazy, fun, in-love young couple living a portion of their lives to the fullest. Good on EM!

I can also say: WTF were they thinking [LOL] when initially taking on this purely ridiculous fully-rotten-old-boat restoration procedure!! Hopefully the financing/income results are on the up side for them. Seems to me... Unless they got paid substantial money to take over ownership of this hulk... there must have been better "used" boats to take on the restoration thereof.

Just wondering: After all the cumulative thousands of hours work is completed and all the many, many, many thousands of dollars are spent... what will this old boat be worth? $100K? / $200K?? / $300K???. And to whom will it be worth anything; other than the guy and gal that rebuilt her?

Guess if they complete the full-rebuild project and live aboard for 20 yrs that the costs/efforts will become a "push" regarding value effects.

What do others here on TF think will become the outcome in the long run... for a truly adventurous old-boat rebuilding young couple?? :dance:

Why should anyone feel sorry for them? They have people donating plus sponsors.

There are two other youtube channels I've come across with people rebuilding old wooden boats. Both are very capable, following through, and will surely complete the projects.

Sailing Magic Carpet

Tally Ho

The Yaba people are very interesting to watch. What I am curious to see, is if any part of the original boat gets used. At this point I am not sure why they are not just building a new boat from scratch.

The other group I am keeping an eye on is “Ship Happens”. This boat looks in about the same condition as the Yaba boat but instead of a whole yard working on it, there is just the couple.

The Yaba people are very interesting to watch. What I am curious to see, is if any part of the original boat gets used. At this point I am not sure why they are not just building a new boat from scratch.

The other group I am keeping an eye on is “Ship Happens”. This boat looks in about the same condition as the Yaba boat but instead of a whole yard working on it, there is just the couple.

Oh boy will I have fun answering your comment on Yaba.
Did anyone question God when he created Eve from one of Adams ribs? Perhaps someone should have said to God, 'Why start with a rib when you could construct an entirely new and 'improved' version. :hide:

We had a man here who spent a couple of years rebuilding a boat from a salvaged rib or two. He kept us all informed with his progress, with pictures and answered our questions. Just before the project was completed and splashed, his wife divorced him and he had to sell the boat.
The man disappeared so we never learned about the sea trials.

Ndear 40 years ago 3 young French people do the same they bought a really sinked boat , it means they dive to saw her the first time ! (in a canal in the area of Dunkerque)

Former fishing boat, we meet them in La Rochelle around 36 years ago when they start their first journey... If you type "Notre Dame Des Flots" I thinks you could find some info on the net, and saw their travel everywhere around the world !

Here :
https://www.notredamedesflots.fr/histoire/

Has anyone seen Parlay Revival?

They bought a hurricane Irma damaged Lagoon 440 and have essentially been rebuilding it as well. Unlike Yaba, this one actually DID sink.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYrqanbSklKodK2Onpt6KgA
I've been following Parlay for a while. Seems they are having to do some major repairs due to some structural deficiencies from the builder. Its going to get interesting if they join up with other Lagoon owners and go after the builder. After seeing some of the buid quality of this Lagoon and other French boats it makes me wonder about how good boats are from this region.

I've been following Parlay for a while. Seems they are having to do some major repairs due to some structural deficiencies from the builder. Its going to get interesting if they join up with other Lagoon owners and go after the builder. After seeing some of the buid quality of this Lagoon and other French boats it makes me wonder about how good boats are from this region.

NO SPOILERS! LOL!

I'm on episode 32, which was back in 2019. They just sailed to Honduras.

In a new episode the couple answer a lot of questions about their history and future plans. They intend to travel. I’m still bugged about using nails instead of screws, they address that too!

So much negativity here.

Somehow today's society, particularly millennials seem to treat negativity like it's a bad word.

Millennial: "I have a great idea, I had a design for a square wheel. I just need a little help with the sketches and building it.

Realist: "That is a really bad idea. Squares wheels don't work. I would not spend any more time on that project.

Millennial: "See the problem is you're stuck with a mindset of the old establishment. Nothing but negativity. You don't know how to think outside the box. I can't believe you won't support me. I'm going to take to social media to shame you amongst a forum of my friends and supporters!!"

The nice thing about going about a major refit or rebuild, the boat is outfitted for you. The electronics, fuel tank size, engine(s), galley appliances, finish, etc is all the owners wishes. It becomes "your" boat, more than just ownership.

It's not only what you add to make it "yours". It's also what you take out. I'm in the process of a full refit of a 54' 50yo steelie and have pulled out 4 tipper truck loads and 3 miniskips worth of stuff, most of which was replaced decades ago and never removed. Estimates are that I've dropped 2 to 3 tonne.

Lord.... did you buy it from hoarders?

To be fair, that does include all cabinetry and panels. However yes, everyone has been amazed at the amount of gear that has been coming out, most of it unused or replaced decades ago. Don't get me started in surplus wiring. ?

Cheers

To be fair, that does include all cabinetry and panels. However yes, everyone has been amazed at the amount of gear that has been coming out, most of it unused or replaced decades ago. Don't get me started in surplus wiring. ?

Cheers

I should have added I don't think it's unusual for boats to have new systems added and the old wiring or equipment left behind, especially if it's inaccessible behind panels etc. With a decades old boat this may have been done several times.

Yeah... but 4 truckloads??? That's not just wiring and systems. That's wiring and systems from all the boats in the yard!

Oh boy will I have fun answering your comment on Yaba.
Did anyone question God when he created Eve from one of Adams ribs? Perhaps someone should have said to God, 'Why start with a rib when you could construct an entirely new and 'improved' version. :hide:

We had a man here who spent a couple of years rebuilding a boat from a salvaged rib or two. He kept us all informed with his progress, with pictures and answered our questions. Just before the project was completed and splashed, his wife divorced him and he had to sell the boat.
The man disappeared so we never learned about the sea trials.

Now, there's a sad story. I like Matt. Many of us got to "computer-post" know him for some seven years. I've tried to rouse him by personal email since. No luck. Still licking his wounds I guess... Can say he sure got a robust self taught education for rebuilding a boat on the dry - from the ground up!

I hope the new owner is very happy and took Matt for a ride when splashed.

Has the rebuild of Tally Ho been mentioned here? I started watching that youtube epic. I like to watch the wooden boat rebuilds/repairs like Travels with Geordie because I owned a wooden trawler for so many years, and watching these travails makes me feel soooo glad I am no longer involved with a wooden vessel!

I hope the new owner is very happy and took Matt for a ride when splashed.

I hope so to. Wonder if Matt would accept.

I'd been getting to somewhat know/understand the guy via personal email, as well as TF posts. I miss him and wish him the best!

Yes, it was all a bit sad and frustrating the way the saga of Matt (aka Hendo) ended. Wouldn't it be great if one day he came back on with an update. Maybe even about a new boat build project..? :)

Why should anyone feel sorry for them? They have people donating plus sponsors.

When the project is completed, they will end up with well equipped, free (donations) and a tidy sum in their personal bank account.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom