Hydraulic Rudder control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Braddwallusmc

Vessel Name
The American Dude
Vessel Make
President 41 Asian Trawler
Good afternoon everyone I just purchased a President 41 trawler. And I have no owners manual for parts description or anything else. The problem I’m having is that I have a leak at the hydraulic cylinder that controls the rudders. And I’m not sure where the leak is coming from attached is a couple of pictures. If anyone can help or advise it would be greatly appreciated thanks Brad 864-809-1175 braddwallusmc@gmail.com

Attachments

• FCAB8BEB-7FE7-430B-8336-B3BFC3FA5AA8.jpg
    FCAB8BEB-7FE7-430B-8336-B3BFC3FA5AA8.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 22A1B433-C689-4527-970A-6EA1C90DE847.jpg
    22A1B433-C689-4527-970A-6EA1C90DE847.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 45
I'd start by getting in there and cleaning it all up. Then place one or two blue shop towels in strategic areas, and run the boat. Any oil will show clearly on the towels, and help you narrow down where the leak is coming from.

That said, on a steering cylinder like that there are only a few places where it can leak, assuming the cylinder isn't cracked or something crazy like that. It's basically the two ends of the cylinder where there are seals, and the two fittings where the hydraulic lines connect. You can also just feel around each of those areas, then check you fingers for oil.

As T.T. says it will be an end seal where the rod come through. They are usually O rings, sometimes square rings, on the ram.

They wear and harden from age. Replacement is quite simple. Pull the hoses and cap them to limit oil dripping and running out.

THe cylinder can be dismounted and taken home to be opened up.
I would also replace the two piston seals.

A good hydraulics shop, small industrial supply shop or a good auto parts shop should be able to easily match those seals with new ones.

Take a photo if need be to ensure you install the piston seal rings properly.

As you reassemble lightly oil everything the seals will contact.

I see yours are fitted with air purge vents closed with a screw. Are you sure one of those is not leaking a bit? Likely not but examine to be sure.

I too use those Scot blue shop paper towels as any liquid will produce a distinct colour change when wetted. Something a white towel will not do.

You did not indicate the manufacturer of your system.

The manufacturer of the cylinders should have repair kits to renew the seals. It is a simple remove old and replace with new process.

You should be able to download instructions from the web.

Some cylinders are designed so end seals can be replaced without a major reassembly. But with older systems, replacing the piston seal is a good idea.

It's best to remove the cylinders from the boat for a through cleaning and inspection. I have found hairline cracks in the cylinder body and also the metal threaded hose ends. And the cylinder can be pressure tested on the bench after reassembly.

Last edited:
Mid 80's hydraulic ram? More than likely the seals are gone. 50/50 proposition in finding a local hydraulic shop that can rebuild it. New cylinder might be in the cards.
Paper towels will tell you exactly where the leak is coming from.

Mid 80's hydraulic ram? More than likely the seals are gone. 50/50 proposition in finding a local hydraulic shop that can rebuild it. New cylinder might be in the cards.
Paper towels will tell you exactly where the leak is coming from.

If there are no cracks in the cylinder or fittings, replace the seals. There is nothing in there to rebuild unless the cylinder wall is scratched or pitted, highly unlikely.

Follow the instructions from manufacturer or web and the seal installation should be easy.

Hydraulic shop unnecessary unless totally not mechanically inclined.

You can locate external leaks by cleaning the outside of the cylinder throughly and by turning wheel to the rudder stop and applying pressure to the wheel past the stop. The wheel pump has a pressure relief valve in there but you should be able to pressurize the cylinder higher than normal before the valve releases. Pressure test in both directions of the wheel and watch the cylinder for leaks.

If you have Hynautic steering, the fluid reservoir has a pressure gauges installed or you can screw in a tire pressure tester to the Schrader valve. The reservoir also should have a built in air pump to pressurize system. If not, a bicycle pump with built in gauge screwed into the Schrader valve. Pump up the pressure and watch the gauge for declining pressure. Check cylinder for leaks.

Last edited:
Any hydraulic shop can rebuild the cylinder. Marine, farm, industrial, or logging. They can make custom seals if necessary. Even for communists sizes.

My steering seems to be sloppy how do I go about checking the hydraulic system to see if it is full of fluid ?

My steering seems to be sloppy how do I go about checking the hydraulic system to see if it is full of fluid ?

Depends on which system you have.

Each manufacturer has a different approach to the method and location of the fluid reservoir.

What Syjos said, it's manufacturer dependent. It could be a pressurized reservoir anywhere on the boat. A reservoir at the height of or slightly above the upper most helm open to the atmosphere. Or the upper most helm could serve as the reservoir.

However if the steering is working but sloppy I'm thinking the problem isn't low fluid. Perhaps worn helm(s), worn ram, loose hard fittings at the rudder post to ram attachment or something else.

Paul,
I agree that you should start your own thread. Now we will be trying to answer to two different systems and all it does is cause confusion. Yes, I have seen this before.
You will get specific help for YOUR system.
ALso when you do I.D your system. Likely there are people with the same system so you can get specific help OR if not then at least we can offer some generalized suggestions.
But PLEASE< start your own thread.

If you can't figure out how to start one then ask here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom