Hurricane Laura

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea couldn’t be in a worse spot, still feel relatively safe though with the wind and waves coming the way they are, if we were taking it all broadside it would be a different story though.

Would have definitly prefers this all happening in the day time.

Geez- Looked at latest update Thats one nasty storm You may want consider getting out of the wheelhouse away from all that glass.

If you get a direct hit it might actually be for the best as your highest winds might be all on the stern, then all on the bow. ( Just trying to find a positive here ) Be safe!

Still a green dot below your avatar (so still online). Hope you and your crew are hanging in there.

Last edited:
Still here, btw the man who said that the eye of the storm is calm, I’d punch him in the mouth right now, had to go out and adjust lines in the calm “EYE” Yea it was calmer then 130 mph winds but it was still in the 80s and that only lasted 10min before it picked up again and switched directions.

Been following this on the BBC. Wow - ugly storm! I wish you the best of luck riding out the rest of it, along with the storm surge!

Finally starting to get some storm surge, only has come up about 2 feet in the last hour or so. Here is a pic of how low it was during the worst part and the calmer of the two is right now with the storm surge slowly coming up.

Attachments

• 576901CF-4A26-4891-AA0D-371944C2ABB3.jpg
    576901CF-4A26-4891-AA0D-371944C2ABB3.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 3911613A-6BC5-4703-9133-C9B87E0163C9.jpg
    3911613A-6BC5-4703-9133-C9B87E0163C9.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 65
Still here, btw the man who said that the eye of the storm is calm, I’d punch him in the mouth right now, had to go out and adjust lines in the calm “EYE” Yea it was calmer then 130 mph winds but it was still in the 80s and that only lasted 10min before it picked up again and switched directions.

Oof, yeah, that’s still more than enough to take your hard hat off. Rain gear probably wasn’t much help either. You’d be better off with goggles and a snorkel.

Time to fire up some hot cocoa and watch The Perfect Storm.

Wind in the 70 with gusts in the high 80s so she is slowing down at least.

Lol didn’t even put rain gear on just went out in pants boots and a t shirt.

Lol we watched the perfect storm earlier today. And I have a moca pot so I had a cappuccino.

Still slowly coming up

Attachments

• 241F212D-474A-4F68-B778-C37A136FA9F5.jpg
    241F212D-474A-4F68-B778-C37A136FA9F5.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 68
Yikes! How is this going to work?! We hear on BBC talk of ~20' surge!!

Screenshots from the Calcasieu Pass weather station, close to the coast and Laura’s landfall.

Attachments

• CCB5F6DA-D3D4-44FC-8788-95D5208CEB88.png
    CCB5F6DA-D3D4-44FC-8788-95D5208CEB88.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 65
  • BFD7B538-F726-4C74-B9C8-D34E4D96CCE2.png
    BFD7B538-F726-4C74-B9C8-D34E4D96CCE2.png
    66 KB · Views: 69
It’s about over, prob another hour or two, down to 60-70 mph winds.

Video Request

Man, pucker factor here... stay safe. I am a combat camera man in the PA National Guard with over 10 Hurricane Response missions flying relief food and water to the region, starting with Katrina. I don’t envy you. But I’ve been following your post the past day and am wondering if you could send some video. I also work for Fox News and could forward it for use on our stations. PM me and I can get you my email and have access to internet. Im hoping the best for you, your crew and everyone in area.

Keoki

Attachments

• 3B545A2C-B9B7-4ADC-B70A-DFE04E6E76B8.jpg
    3B545A2C-B9B7-4ADC-B70A-DFE04E6E76B8.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 300F7E02-5BE7-4730-920F-C048FAEB14B3.jpg
    300F7E02-5BE7-4730-920F-C048FAEB14B3.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Here is my contact info

I cant pm because Im not a trusted member yet. I get an error trying to answer your PM. Here is my info

215-880-7740 work cell
George.roach@foxtv.com

Thanks for keeping us updated, we are in Biloxi and have about 3’ of surge
IMG_3007.jpg
IMG_3008.jpgIMG_3009.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2900.jpg
    IMG_2900.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 63
It’s about over, prob another hour or two, down to 60-70 mph winds.

JMarsh,

Glad its subsiding for you. What a ride, and blow by blow account, thanks! Very interesting and glad you are safe. How are the other boats in your area doing? Sounds like most of them are pretty big.

Give us an update... where are you located?

And perhaps you can comment about the risks of riding this thing out. Thoughts of things to do and not do.

I'm sure none of us would want to ride this out in a pleasure boat, but often we can pick up ideas on how to secure boats for this kind of stuff. I've got my own plan and think it's pretty good... but always looking for a better way.

Take care.

Jmarsh, do you have a picture of your boat, or just one like it ? Thanks for the ongoing commentary, and I'm glad you are out the other side.

Yea made it through all safe and sound, broke some things lost some things but nothing box or important.

Thoughts and after storm

Hmmm for a hurricane like this, which was a very solid cat4 on the verge of cat5 and being about 30 miles inland had I been in a properly secured and a well made boat 40 foot or larger, or a proper blue water capable boat with 1/4 inch thick or greater tempered safety glass windows, weather resistant doors and a proper anchor with it being oversized I’d feel safe enough I’d stay aboard the boat if I owned it during the storm, I definitly wouldn’t be doing it without getting paid if it was a friends boat lol me considering Even doing it would be the friend discount . If I had storm covers for the windows I’d use them and would advise to have them for a pleasure craft, we are over 3 stories tall so not as much debris has the chance to hit them but a tinny pebble would have taken them out. You all saw how big our windows are, they are 1/4 tempered safety glass and they made it through just fine, but the wind was blowing hard enough (boat next to us said sustained 140mph) that the windows were bowing with the stronger gusts and that made it uncomfortable to be in the wheelhouse. Given the choice if it was my boat I’d choose to be at anchor with 1 good anchor that will reset properly, resetting properly is the most important thing btw, because through a storm like this your engine/engines will be running and you will be awake giving you the ability to take the strain off the anchor when the winds are at there peak. Also when the wind and current shifts you want plenty of room to swing around. I would absolutely not consider being in a marina, that would be a death trap. The ability to swing and keeping your bow into the wind is very important in my opinion, had we taken those winds on anything other than the bow or stern like we were throughout the entire storm things may have turned out much differently and that is why I would choose to be at anchor over even a very very secure dock. And to clarify when I say Properly secured For equipment that means everything and I mean everything be brought inside, honestly we left quite a bit outside and it was the wrong choice. If it’s not bolted or screwed down it comes off and is put away inside. Nothing we could do about it but the Skiff has 2 big rachet straps sitting on a stand welded to the deck about a foot and a half off the deck, that was not enough it should have had between 4-6 straps and she MAY have made it without moving. Had everything been brought inside we would have had no damage other than for things that were not in our control. Our preparation of securing things in place outside probably would have been Sufficient had it been a cat 2 or light cat 3 but not a solid cat 4. Now onto the most important thing and that’s the things you cannot control, all the preparation in the world and the most capable blue water cruiser there is coupled with the best crew money can buy cannot control how well other people secure There **** Here is a before and after pics. There is not a pleasure craft smaller than 60 foot made and yes that includes the nordhavens, cape horns, Sutton’s, and insert any name of famous boat company here that would have made it through getting hit by that crane barge. So choose where you anchor or secure yourself wisely, if you have doubts that someone else’s **** will hold, it probably won’t, and in a pleasure craft that could be deadly. All it did to us is part 2 morning lines And dent our barge. Btw anyone who is looking for a 100ton crane barge I’ll give you a real real good price if you come take it off our hands in the next 24 hours.

Attachments

• 23E5B1E9-7BE7-4EF0-8820-B51F4B7CB41E.jpg
    23E5B1E9-7BE7-4EF0-8820-B51F4B7CB41E.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 72
  • F66DAB99-F5C3-4630-BD12-5E60BDDF1971.jpg
    F66DAB99-F5C3-4630-BD12-5E60BDDF1971.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 78
I heard from an acquaintance this morning that rode out the storm on his commercial tug on the Neches River just East of Boumont Tx. He said the wind was upwards of 130 but the storm surge didn’t materialize. His boat came through OK although another Tug in the companies fleet had the pilothouse windows blown out.

Yea it definitly wouldn’t have taken much for the wheelhouse windows to go, I’m actually suprised they held up so well as big as they are.

I would never willingly attempt to ride out one of these storms in an anchored boat positioned to pivot with the wind. The ability to ride into the wind most likely means that there will be a fetch involved which in turn means wave action which adds huge forces and resulting chafe and pure uncomfortable conditions for any occupants. Few people who have ridden out a significant storm like Laura and admitted it will ever do it twice. Those who died doing so, well, we have not heard from them. As I remember a few got whisked off to oblivion by the associated tornadoes of Hugo in Charleston in the 1980s.

My MS Pilot survived a Cat Five storm because it was secured six ways from Sunday in a canal where no fetch existed, but trees did. Another reason not to voluntarily risk your life for NO valid reason. Imagine the horror of being below in a boat and having a big tree trap you in there with water rising..... shudder.

Attachments

• DSC02110.jpg
    DSC02110.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 60
We rode it out at the Beaumont Yacht Club, only because we were on the good side of the storm.

Wind blew the water out at midnight, dropping about eighteen inches in thirty minutes, two hours before high tide.

Most we saw was 60 mph in gusts. Almost no rain.

We use the app Windy and it pretty much nailed it. It said 45-75, starting at midnight ending at 3am. Almost exactly on time.

Not something I would do repeatedly, it made for a long day of prep then cleanup. If it had hit us head on would have been a different story.

Never even lost power. Just drove to Lafayette and the bad side was a different story.

We never watch national weather except for laughs.

We rode it out at the Beaumont Yacht Club, only because we were on the good side of the storm.

Wind blew the water out at midnight, dropping about eighteen inches in thirty minutes, two hours before high tide.

Most we saw was 60 mph in gusts. Almost no rain.

We use the app Windy and it pretty much nailed it. It said 45-75, starting at midnight ending at 3am. Almost exactly on time.

Not something I would do repeatedly, it made for a long day of prep then cleanup. If it had hit us head on would have been a different story.

Never even lost power. Just drove to Lafayette and the bad side was a different story.

We never watch national weather except for laughs.

Looking at the chart, Beaumont Yacht Club fits a lot of criteria for a good hole to hide in, 27 or so miles inland from the coast and well protected from any fetch, BUT the tornado threat in hurricanes being one of the deadlier aspects, could just whip you and your boat off the Kansas, Dorothy.

That was the biggest worry. Not much you can do about a tornado but run.

That marina is next to I10, so there is a very low underpass to hide a car in if you had a warning. But at midnight you don't. We had the car loaded ready to go if the water came up or the radar changed, but the marina was just in a perfect place for that storm.

In all honesty I was sandwiched between a deralect Hatteras and a 50' Marine Trader. The wind flowed over us, windows did not even get wet till 2am.

We had stripped everything off and got ready for water to get blown in but there was no real rain.

I don't think a marina is a death trap, but a bad slip could be. Tie the boat in a cross pattern so it can move at least six feet up and down. Make sure the scuppers stay clear, double check everything. Just a lose bungee cord will beat the gel coat off some boats.

During Harvey that marina had almost every boat sunken by flood waters released from Houston. No wind or rain on site, just rose 22' in six hours in the middle of the night. So even a good location has it's issues.

Last edited:
Don't forget LUCK, or just chance as some would say, as a necessary ingredient in any survival story. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom