Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-29-2021, 07:17 AM   #1
hrk
Veteran Member
 
City: Washington
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 26
How We Ended Up Buying a New Boat

I am not sure if this thread is going to be interesting to others except who are making a call to buy their first boat. I am writing it up here just so I record our process while things are fresh in my head.
We are an older couple, in 60s - me hitting 70 next month. More details on us can be found on a thread i started in welcome forum. This would be our first boat purchase, transitioning from sailors to being boaters. There is also another type of transitioning. As sailors, we owned a 40 freedom for over 12 years and cruised maine to annapolis - mostly maine - every year for roughly 4 weeks a year. Lived on boat for that period. But, now the big transition being planned is to become full time live aboard when the new boat is commissioned.

This process of buying a boat began abruptly. Just before COVID forced us all to be indoors and work remotely, we had sold our sail boat and had started renting sailboats in exotic locations around the world. COVID restrictions put a stop to it. So, for past 18-20 months, we regretted giving up our sailboat and were continually looking for sailboats we would want to buy. Veered from buying a new one to looking at boats on the market. But, for some reason did not pull trigger.

Then, one day after being vaccinated and able to travel again (under travel constraints of course), we did two trips alomost back-to-back. First was to BVI on a bareboat sail rental (my wife is as good a sailor as me and we have always travelled without a crew or captain). 10 days on water was heaven. Next we set off to do our first motorboat rental in Anacortes, WA and do 9 days in San Juan Island on Grand Banks 46. We did take lessons on handling a boat with a captain for first three days but then cruised on our own.

That trip was a crucial first step in our current journey that has just begun. Wife did love sailing but did not ever want to live for long periods on a sailboat. Me on the other hand has a gypsy soul and would have given up homes and lived on a boat if not married.

After the experience of GB46, wife suddenly started talking of buying a boat. Her rationale was - as we get older we would be more comfortable with motorboat rather than sailboat. Besides, she argued that anyway we dont sail as often as we motor sailboat due to adverse weather or wind patterns. Both of those arguments i agreed with so we started to seriously think about owning a boat.
That trip on GB 46 was in July 2021, just few months back. And, now on Dec 1, we have made a selection and about pull a trigger on purchasing a new 60 boat.

In next few emails, i will recount how we conducted our search, why we made a call just in few months, etc.

Hope readers will enjoy watching this unfold gently and at 7 knot speed that we are accustomed to!

HRK
hrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:30 AM   #2
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,126
The following is just my uninformed comments. I did sail, when I was younger. A couple of non-class boat and one International 110.
One difference between a sail boat and a motor boat, you dont have to adjust the sails on a motor boat.
I have been told, sail boater spend a great deal of time motoring when close or inshore.
Sails are expensive. Diesel engines are expensive.
In a storm, on a motor boat, one does not have to brave the weather to adjust the sails. As we get older, that becomes less and less "fun"
Sails are nice if you are going long distances 'outside'.
Motor boat with inside helm? That's where the food, coffee and head, heat and A/C are located.
Sail boat? You worry more about bridge clearances and water depth.
LOL Is that enough?
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:53 AM   #3
Guru
 
mvweebles's Avatar
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 3,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk View Post
I am not sure if this thread is going to be interesting to others except who are making a call to buy their first boat. I am writing it up here just so I record our process while things are fresh in my head.

We are an older couple, in 60s - me hitting 70 next month. More details on us can be found on a thread i started in welcome forum. This would be our first boat purchase, transitioning from sailors to being boaters. There is also another type of transitioning. As sailors, we owned a 40 freedom for over 12 years and cruised maine to annapolis - mostly maine - every year for roughly 4 weeks a year. Lived on boat for that period. But, now the big transition being planned is to become full time live aboard when the new boat is commissioned.



This process of buying a boat began abruptly. Just before COVID forced us all to be indoors and work remotely, we had sold our sail boat and had started renting sailboats in exotic locations around the world. COVID restrictions put a stop to it. So, for past 18-20 months, we regretted giving up our sailboat and were continually looking for sailboats we would want to buy. Veered from buying a new one to looking at boats on the market. But, for some reason did not pull trigger.



Then, one day after being vaccinated and able to travel again (under travel constraints of course), we did two trips alomost back-to-back. First was to BVI on a bareboat sail rental (my wife is as good a sailor as me and we have always travelled without a crew or captain). 10 days on water was heaven. Next we set off to do our first motorboat rental in Anacortes, WA and do 9 days in San Juan Island on Grand Banks 46. We did take lessons on handling a boat with a captain for first three days but then cruised on our own.



That trip was a crucial first step in our current journey that has just begun. Wife did love sailing but did not ever want to live for long periods on a sailboat. Me on the other hand has a gypsy soul and would have given up homes and lived on a boat if not married.



After the experience of GB46, wife suddenly started talking of buying a boat. Her rationale was - as we get older we would be more comfortable with motorboat rather than sailboat. Besides, she argued that anyway we dont sail as often as we motor sailboat due to adverse weather or wind patterns. Both of those arguments i agreed with so we started to seriously think about owning a boat.

That trip on GB 46 was in July 2021, just few months back. And, now on Dec 1, we have made a selection and about pull a trigger on purchasing a new 60 boat.



In next few emails, i will recount how we conducted our search, why we made a call just in few months, etc.



Hope readers will enjoy watching this unfold gently and at 7 knot speed that we are accustomed to!



HRK
Your experience mirrors many, though I doubt any two paths are identical. You are a good writer. I for one will look forward to updates and wish you and your wife the best success!

Thanks for sharing

Peter
__________________
M/V Weebles
1970 Willard 36 Sedan Trawler
Current Location: Ensenada MX
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:08 AM   #4
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 15,038
Greetings,
Disclaimer: I've been aboard a sailboat twice. Never left the docks. While I can sort of appreciate the quiet and "freedom' of traveling under sail, it holds absolutely NO interest to me what-so-ever. Our early boating career was limited to inland waters quite a bit of the time amongst the 1000 islands in the St. Lawrence River. Admittedly NOT the best sailing venue.


A fellow I used to work with WAS a sailor. He raised sail EVERY chance he got. He decided to buy a larger boat and supposedly got a great deal on a 10? year old boat. He surmised the covers had never been taken off the sails. That boat had spent it's life on the St. Lawrence.



A plethora of sail boats on those waters but to see one actually under sail is a REAL rarity. They're power boats with a stick.
I've asked several people "Why aren't you sailing?" Stock answers were: The wind is too weak/strong, the wind is from the wrong direction and we're only going a few miles (too much trouble/work to raise the sails).



Mr./Ms. hrk. You've made the right choice IMHO.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,303
Curious what boat you landed on hrk. An new 60 footer is quite a leap! Wish you all the best.
__________________
In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him. ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
Guru
 
City: Port Canaveral
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk View Post
I am not sure if this thread is going to be interesting to others except who are making a call to buy their first boat... And, now on Dec 1, we have made a selection and about pull a trigger on purchasing a new 60 boat.
Sounds very interesting. So you and your wife are well-experienced sailors, some motorboat experience from your charter, and you're now buying a new powerboat of about 60ft instead of a used one. Congratulations on making a decision, not that any of us would ever be classed as "procrastinators"

Curious to know about what boat you've decided meets your needs and how you plan to use it.
Mako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:36 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Solly's Avatar
 
City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 456
This is going to be a great thread !!
Get on as many power boats as you can for ideas. I've heard that there is more usable space on a power boat than a sailboat. Seems a sailboat and you are either in the cockpit or the cave, where a trawler you have more areas to move around. 40' would be about the minimum for a liveaboard. 60' might be a little big for a couple to handle but with a good layout and thrusters should be manageable.
Good luck !!
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #8
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,126
IF you insist on a 60ft trawler, regardless of your sailing experience, I suggest you get a training captain for a day.
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:04 PM   #9
Guru
 
tiltrider1's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 2,926
Im curious to hear more. Please continue.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member
 
City: berkeley
Vessel Name: Lilliana/Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard 40/Wilard 30
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 31
I presently have three boats in different geographical locations: two Willard trawlers (30 and 40ft) and a light weight 34ft sailboat. I have owned a boat for the past 63 years. My take is the following and it meshes with your conclusions.

Sailboats are best for two things: day sailing and crossing an ocean. There is little aesthetic enjoyment from an afternoon motoring and most trawlers cannot cross oceans safely. However for cruising, the trawler is much superior for the reasons you and others have expressed.

Two suggestions. If you are already close to 70 and wish to enjoy your trawler for many years: 1. Do not buy a boat with stairs. The sedan style comes closest to this. 2. Be sure that access to the engine room does not involve crawling or excessive bending.

Good luck in your adventure.

Richard P
rpackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 12:49 PM   #11
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,637
Oh I hate to be watching a television show and waiting for the big ending, only to have it conclude with "To Be Continued" and that's what hrk just did to us. Give us the rest of the story now that you have us hanging here.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:50 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
City: West coast
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Oh I hate to be watching a television show and waiting for the big ending, only to have it conclude with "To Be Continued" and that's what hrk just did to us. Give us the rest of the story now that you have us hanging here.
Who shot JR? 😂
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:54 PM   #13
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 20,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowball View Post
Who shot JR? 😂
That started the season ending cliff hangers which now nearly every show has and I hate. I've also found the resolution in the first episode the following year generally disappointed and was a bit anti-climatic. Everyone remembers "Who Shot JR" as a theme but most people do not remember who shot him.

On the other hand I do look forward to more here from the OP.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:02 PM   #14
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,635
Sailing is great! Motor boating is better - under most circumstances!!
Attached Thumbnails
Freda B.JPG   Copy of Art & Linda on TO - Maltese Falcon SF Bay Entry Spring 2009_100_1391.JPG   Art - Pilot Tolly_100_1362.JPG  
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:00 PM   #15
Guru
 
AlanT's Avatar
 
City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Sailing is great! Motor boating is better - under most circumstances!!
It all depends on your horizons!
AlanT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:21 PM   #16
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
It all depends on your horizons!
And your opinion... which at least somewhat colors your horizons.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:19 AM   #17
TF Site Team
 
City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 9,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpackard View Post
....Two suggestions. If you are already close to 70 and wish to enjoy your trawler for many years: 1. Do not buy a boat with stairs. The sedan style comes closest to this. 2. Be sure that access to the engine room does not involve crawling or excessive bending.
Good luck in your adventure.
Richard P
☝️ 👍 I'd just add a third suggestion, that no doubt many others would disagree with - you know, the ones who say they nearly live up in their flybridge...
However, at risk of the above, I'd suggest that instead of a flybridge, a pilot-house design with a sedan or Europa type layout aft of that, in order to minimise steps, and maximise the indoor/outdoor living it makes easier, etc.
__________________
Pete
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 03:35 AM   #18
Guru
 
High Wire's Avatar
 
City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,313
Better talk to your insurance agent before signing the purchase agreement. They can have experience requirements.
__________________
Archie
Irish Lady
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Ft. Pierce, FL
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 04:03 AM   #19
Guru
 
OldDan1943's Avatar
 
City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 9,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
☝️ 👍 I'd just add a third suggestion, that no doubt many others would disagree with - you know, the ones who say they nearly live up in their flybridge...
However, at risk of the above, I'd suggest that instead of a flybridge, a pilot-house design with a sedan or Europa type layout aft of that, in order to minimise steps, and maximise the indoor/outdoor living it makes easier, etc.
+1
__________________
The meek will inherit the earth but, the brave will inherit the seas.
OldDan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #20
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 11,635
Our Tolly's steps are pretty EZ to deal with.

- Two steps to get aboard - off dock stoop

- One step to get into salon - through slider door

- One step to get into forward big V-berth stateroom - with a good sized full head

- Two steps to get into master stateroom - with a queen, a double and a large full head

- One step to get onto sun deck - off rear deck platform

- One step to get onto bridge - off sun deck

Getting down off rear deck platform to reach the swim platform has four steps on a ladder.

Custom built, multi step swim ladder with thick knotted pull-up line off transom to the swim platform is easy as pie for coming in/out of water.

All areas with steps have really great railings etc for hand holds and safety.

Wife is 72 and I'm 70 next April! We see years of Tollycraft boating fun for years yet to come!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buying a boat, sailor to boater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012