How large trawler can I single-hand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is single handling in no wind and then there is single handling in a blow. Some were around 50’ you loose sight of the boats corners. Some were around 30,000 lbs you loose the ability to push a boat around by your self. At what point do these factors add up to overwhelm you is anybody’s guess.

I have no problem single handling a Bayliner 47 but wouldn’t think about single handling my OA 54. The next guy will feel different.

I never single handed my 47 nor my current 55. However I was waiting for the fuel dock to open in Ensenada MX when I guy came in with a Norhaven 65. He had port and stb control stations and bow/stern thrusters. He had three feet space with me in front and about the same in the stern. He parallel parked perfectly while his wife was still asleep. No wind but a bit of a surge. I was amazed.

Recently I tried to dock my 55 in a strong (15kn?) wind that was blowing directly off the dock. My wife needs to get off at the swim platform. I tried three times to swing in to get her off and failed. I had to back the boat in to the dock to get the stern line hooked, then tried to use the bow thruster to swing me around. Still had to jump off and wrestle the bowline in after I doubled its length, threw it to her and scrambled down. It took all of my strength to pull it in against the wind. I probably should have had her take the thruster control to help me with it but I was making progress and didn't think of it at the moment.

I'd guess it would depend on whether you were to purchase a twin screw boat or single, and whether it was equipped with a thruster.
A single screw boat would often require the use of a spring line whereas a twin screw boat can pretty much be docked anywhere, anytime without problem. If your boat handling skills aren't that good, then add a thruster and the size of the boat you are operating is only limited by the amount of maintenance you want to do.
The largest boat I've ever been the solo captain/crew on was a 72' Hatteras TSMY (no thruster). There were very few times I even needed someone to catch my lines, as long as I got a breast line on first.

Hi all - I have a 32 foot Nordic Tug that I've taken all over and used and loved enough to know that I'm in this for the long haul. Now looking to trade-up to a larger trawler-style boat to accomodate guests and family for longer outings. Here's my question - I often also travel alone and would like a boat that I can confidently dock by myself. How large a vessel can I reasonably do single-handed - right now I'm looking at everything from 37-48 feet. Any specific boat suggestions? Thanks!

Let's back up and determine what you need for those 'longer outings' and how often they'll truly occur. No point in buying a larger boat with features that won't really get used frequently.

What is it about your current boat that's not 'cutting it'? What features would you 'need to have' to start chipping away at the 'longer outings' wish-list?

I mostly solo an 83' boat, but have been running ships and boats most of my life. Twins make it easier. I've never used a thruster even when they were available, but assume they help in some situations.

When you get your new boat, practice with someone else aboard. In open water see how big your turning circle is, how it handles backing, or how it twists. Don't just practice on your home dock but any available dock like city docks or fuel docks. Also be willing to wait for safe docking conditions.
When you do dock alone, have your lines ready. If you know how to use a spring line, put that over first. That line and the engine can hold you next to the dock while you get the other lines run.

I never single handed my 47 nor my current 55. However I was waiting for the fuel dock to open in Ensenada MX when I guy came in with a Norhaven 65. He had port and stb control stations and bow/stern thrusters. He had three feet space with me in front and about the same in the stern. He parallel parked perfectly while his wife was still asleep. No wind but a bit of a surge. I was amazed.

Recently I tried to dock my 55 in a strong (15kn?) wind that was blowing directly off the dock. My wife needs to get off at the swim platform. I tried three times to swing in to get her off and failed. I had to back the boat in to the dock to get the stern line hooked, then tried to use the bow thruster to swing me around. Still had to jump off and wrestle the bowline in after I doubled its length, threw it to her and scrambled down. It took all of my strength to pull it in against the wind. I probably should have had her take the thruster control to help me with it but I was making progress and didn't think of it at the moment.

Proper use of sping lines make up for when thrusters just aren't up to the task or limited crew.

As many have said here, a vessel with a proper spring can be left in gear and the boat will remain motionless against the dock allowing you or anyone to do what they want.

Is there a risk? Sure leaving a elm unattended with the boat in gear is always a risk...but those highly experienced at it get it and are used to it. as soon as that second line is cleated off, even in gear the boat isn't going anywhere if your docklines are healthy and so are the dock cleats.

In your case I would have bowed in and tried to drop a long after bow spring over a cleat then powered in with helm turned away from the dock as the spring did its job. Left in gear yu had all day to get other lines on.

I have docked in over 50 knots of wind blowing me off the dock using a long after bow spring...it's the only way I think that works under severe conditions. Your after spring could have worked but depending on a LOT of variables...it may not have the leverage needed for the engine power you are willing to risk on a cleat.

Last edited:
Hi all - I have a 32 foot Nordic Tug that I've taken all over and used and loved enough to know that I'm in this for the long haul. Now looking to trade-up to a larger trawler-style boat to accomodate guests and family for longer outings. Here's my question - I often also travel alone and would like a boat that I can confidently dock by myself. How large a vessel can I reasonably do single-handed - right now I'm looking at everything from 37-48 feet. Any specific boat suggestions? Thanks!

I have a 46' GB Classic and have gone from Jax to Key West....From Key West to Naples, Sarasota, etc. many times by myself. One time pulling my 16.5' Egret. Docked sometimes (interesting when pulling a boat...lol) but most often on the hook. No problems in most cases docking alone. I do it all the time (unless there's a strong SE wind) at our yacht club. Start with short trips.

Single hand

I have a GB 36 Classic. One screw, no thrusters, one main cabin door next to the lower helm. I can single hand and dock it in zero or very little wind, otherwise I just don’t go out by myself. If you are going to do a lot of single handling on a large, heavy trawler then there are certain features I would recommend: 2 cabin doors, bow and stern thrusters if you have 1 engine, wide decks all around, auto-helm, possibly a set up on the swim platform to store the dinghy. I’m a believer in single engine power but if you are by yourself a lot you might consider twins.

I agree. I have a grand Banks 36 as well with full walk around deck, single 120 Lehman but bow and Stern thrusters. I'm more confident docking on a t than a slip but in most cases there's someone there to help. Anchoring is not a big problem but a mooring can be.

I'm prejudiced since we have just decided to sell our 43' Albin Sundeck trawler. We have enjoyed it since 1988. It is a 1986 model. Twin screw.
Depends on a number of variables such as wind and water conditions and how agile one is. What I could do myself 30 years ago with confidence, I don't feel confident in doing today. The boat has a fair amount of wind-age and depending on your docking or mooring situation an extra set of hands can be very helpful especially if wind or sea conditions get somewhat sticky. The actual value of the hands depends on their strength and experience as well. Just having another "body" aboard may not be adequate in all conditions.
My wife and first mate is almost 80 and I am over 80 and to continue going out with just the two of is pushing it more than we feel is prudent.
It's a great boat and it really pains me to part with it.

ernieo1

Spring lines are great, if there are cleats available! Like many in this area, much of my boating is north in British Columbia. Almost never see cleats up there, which means no single handed springs for getting into the dock...(they use bullrails - you would have to be actually on the dock to put a line on one).

Size is only one parameter

Keep in mind that the size of your boat is only one of many factors that will determine your ability to single hand.

I single handed my 55’ Fleming from Beaufort to Annapolis in the ICW and open Bay. I have years of experience sailing and only 3+ under power. I have made the trip many times with full crew so familiarity with marinas, anchorages and routes gives me the requisite confidence.

The Fleming is equipped with twin Cummins and both bow and stern thrusters. I have a third helm control in the stern. I can manage the anchor windlass from either the flybridge or the main bridge. Although in the muddy bay I have no remote anchor wash down from either.

Catching a mooring is easy in calm conditions as I can bring the mooring line forward from amidship.

I would say the the 58 is my max. I know Captains that can handle a 65 but it is not preferable especially if it is not your boat.

Another consideration is using a head underway. In open water it is not an issue but in the ICW I require a bottle. The 58 has a day head that I’m certain was an input from more experienced captains.

Upon planning for a Marina I always call ahead and explain that I will require help finding and securing the boat.

Last edited:
Spring lines are great, if there are cleats available! Like many in this area, much of my boating is north in British Columbia. Almost never see cleats up there, which means no single handed springs for getting into the dock...(they use bullrails - you would have to be actually on the dock to put a line on one).
there are hooks that one can use with some bullrails.....other here have described their successes with them.

one could use a pole to push a loop under a bullrail and grab the loop with another boat hook.....granted a difficult and well timed operation...but possible.

there are hooks that one can use with some bullrails.....other here have described their successes with them.

one could use a pole to push a loop under a bullrail and grab the loop with another boat hook.....granted a difficult and well timed operation...but possible.

I've seen those recommendations and actually have a purpose designed hook that I inherited from my father to catch a bull rail.

The problem for me (maybe because I'm just not that coordinated), is that in calm conditions the hook can pull you close to the dock, but can't act as a spring that you can power against. I might be able to use a boat hook as you describe if the boat isn't moving and I have plenty of time. However if conditions are benign enough for those solutions, I don't need them.

Sofia is 40 overall and I do single hand her quite a bit but with a single, full keel with nor bow thruster, I do pick and choose when and where. I am not ashamed to ask for help. I do like @JLD idea about chartering. Capitol idea.

I have a friend who runs a Westport 112. I have seen him dock it single handed using his wireless helm remote. That seldom happens though since dock hands stumble over each other to help him dock and he normally has several crew.

What markpierce said above, quoting boathealer. All his points describe Seabiscuit, except the minimising windage one; that remains as-is.

SB is 40', single screw, no thrusters, full keel. I fitted a custom stainless steel fishtail to the trailing edge of my large rudder the last time Seabiscuit was slipped; some slipway commentators opined, "You've just ruined a good rudder", but low speed manoeuvring has become easier (and r.p.m.s at cruising speed are unchanged, and autopilot's course-holding is even better). She can be turned in just over her own length, with one or two brief reverses to use prop walk to continue the spin, when turning to port. Docking is to starboard, using prop walk.

Mooring approach depends on wind and current; I let the floating buoy come up on the chosen side; when amidships the hook pulls the buoy line aboard and I run it forward, separating the bridle along the way, and loop through to the Samson post. I leave the two parts of the bridle tied with the buoy rope now because one time one half of the bridle wrapped itself around the single rope that the buoy was tied off to, and unwinding it in a 25kn wind was a PITA.

When docking, midship cleats are often used first (again, depends on wind and current), all ropes laid out in preparation with the large spiced loops to hand; boat hook is always in the same place handy, both side doors locked open, and the mantra "slow is pro" is chanted. Watch what's actually happening to the boat, rather than what you think should be happening and (I can't remember who said this in another thread) neutral is a gear, to be used liberally.

I have not seen too many references here to a technique I use sometimes when docking across the current (at high or low tide), and that is tying off stern or bow on a rope long enough to turn the boat on. There's a side berth at a public dock that is 90° to the current, and I use a 3m bow rope on a forward cleat to make this turn, and it works very neatly.

I practise these manoeuvres a few times a week, and think about how to improve what I'm doing.

I've seen those recommendations and actually have a purpose designed hook that I inherited from my father to catch a bull rail.

The problem for me (maybe because I'm just not that coordinated), is that in calm conditions the hook can pull you close to the dock, but can't act as a spring that you can power against. I might be able to use a boat hook as you describe if the boat isn't moving and I have plenty of time. However if conditions are benign enough for those solutions, I don't need them.

The rodeo skill required is to get the hook (the ones I've used were bent rebar) up against one of the supporting blocks of the bull rail. If you are trying to squeeze into limited space, that may well be easier said than done. But if the dock is crowded, your odds of having a friendly boater nearby are increased. Lacking that you have to work the boat to the dock and get a breast line on, again often easier said than done. Having the dock on your lee side helps; a strong wind blowing you off the dock can make for a long process, especially with me at the helm. I share your lack of coordination and ineptness, the best tool in my box is patience.

I also used to have a NT 32 and now have a NT 37 that I find handles and docks much like the 32. I do some single handed cruising and it works well. I would like to add a stern thruster at some time but doing fine without it so far. I agree with Sue's comments (on Spinner) above in general and specifically for the NT 42.

'Lo All, I always single handed my 46' sailboat and my 43' Trawler. I learned how to handle both using half-filled milk jugs out in open, but fairly shallow water. I tied a light line to the jugs and used bricks for anchors. I placed them at various positions relative to current and wind. Whenever I hit one, I said to myself; "OOPS! There goes another Hatteras, Bertram, Swift, Benneteau, etc.", Practice made perfect. In all the years I owned those boats, I never hit anything that I didn't intend to (pilings to turn or lay against, etc.) except the milk jugs. Frequent practice kept the skills current. To me, a twin engine boat such as the Celestial was (Albin 43), could be handled almost like a crawler tractor. Wind and current could be countered (almost) like a crawler tractor on ice. Must plan ahead and stay ahead of the boat. Practice is the key. Fortunately, the sailboat had a huge rudder and could "turn on a dime". (Starratt & Jencks 45 like the old Morgan 45 IOR racing sloop). On several occasions, both boats made my handling skills look very, very good in critical situations. Or, as a friend likes to say: "Even a blind hog can find an acorn once in a while".

Single handling is fun in a 40' 28,000 lb. sailboat. If you like that kind of fun.
Over the years I have gotten better at it, but not much. A 50 HP engine swinging an
18" prop gives me really good backing up as long as I want to turn to starboard at
the same time. I really could use a bow thruster at times, but it's not in my budget.

Like other posts mentioned it is all in the layout of the boat and captain's experience and capabilities.. I found single handed slip docking can be even difficult in a smaller 24' foot cruising sailboat, as it is blown around more, even when there isn't much wind.

. An aft cabin of the same size could be much more difficult for solo docking without dock personnel to help.

No problem on our aft cabin boat with wide side decks, cockpit, transom door and easy step off side doors. Can't see how it could be any easier unless a solo voyager went totally wireless (and electronics trusting which I'm not).

we talking the same kind of aft cabin here?

I single hand my boats even when there are other people on board. At times I regret having others helping! either on the dock or boat.
Unless the crew is also used to the boat, you are not only single handling the boat, you now have to handle the crew, twice the work.

Perfect quote "a man has to know his limitations"

I'm with SooValley on this one. Pretty much the way it works out most of the time.

Learning the skill of command is an essential seamanship skill. One that I inherently lack, so have to work on. Nothing to be proud of if you have to single hand your boat with others on board.

My suggestion has ziltch to do with docking but rather ‘’does an affordable dock for the size boat the OP is interested in exist? Around here docks are scarce for boats greater than 40’. Yeah some are available but for big bucks

Unless you have pax that you know have some experience and sense (everyone thinks they're a seaman because they used to ride on gramps's pontoon boat on the lake), better they stay pax and not pickup crew. I worry about overboard, human extremities between hull and immovable objects, "helping" by yanking on dock lines, etc.

Leadership is in large part knowing the capabilities of the led. Training can occur underway if there's the time and setting. Most of the time, on a social outing, that's not going to happen. IMO, with some exceptions, it's better to single hand the boat and let the pax have a good stress free ride. If you luck out and have real crew, then you can think about "commanding" them and letting them help.

Proper use of sping lines make up for when thrusters just aren't up to the task or limited crew.

As many have said here, a vessel with a proper spring can be left in gear and the boat will remain motionless against the dock allowing you or anyone to do what they want.

Is there a risk? Sure leaving a elm unattended with the boat in gear is always a risk...but those highly experienced at it get it and are used to it. as soon as that second line is cleated off, even in gear the boat isn't going anywhere if your docklines are healthy and so are the dock cleats.

In your case I would have bowed in and tried to drop a long after bow spring over a cleat then powered in with helm turned away from the dock as the spring did its job. Left in gear yu had all day to get other lines on.

I have docked in over 50 knots of wind blowing me off the dock using a long after bow spring...it's the only way I think that works under severe conditions. Your after spring could have worked but depending on a LOT of variables...it may not have the leverage needed for the engine power you are willing to risk on a cleat.

psneeld,

I follow your and others logic of arriving bow in and using a long after bow spring over a cleat, then power forward with wheel and throttles favoring away from the dock.

Question is, what have you (or others) found to be the best way of securing that 1st line to the cleat.
One option would be a competent dock hand.

But what method do you find works best to secure that 1st spring line if single handing and no one on the dock to help?

Back
Top Bottom