Old 11-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
Hook & Moor boat hook

Anyone have any luck fixing one of the Hook & Moor boat hooks? Got two for free (they are not working right) and was hoping someone has done this before me. Web site and instructions are no help.

Give me something to do over the winter.

Maybe if I tackle this I can post pictures for the next person.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Send one to me, I'll figure it out and send you instructions!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #3

Come on up here and you can have it. I drove up from San Diego a few weeks back and would have swung by and dropped it off if I had known. :-)
Old 11-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Whats wrong with it?
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #5

One is partly extended and won't retract. So the hook won't open all the way. The other one functions but is REALLY hard to make work, harder than is should be. Tried spraying them with lube but that did not help.

One the jammed on I can see little white balls or plastic bearings inside the hook.

It is a neat idea but a LOT of moving parts, which is why I am trying to get information before I end up with a bucket of small things.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:58 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
On our when it started to get stiff, soaked it in fresh water then worked it back and forth for a while, after that lubed the sliding parts with teflon grease....now it is back working super slick.....
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:29 PM   #7
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Very hard to describe in words, it is a fiendishly clever mechanism. But lots of sliding and rubbing parts. The balls are driven around a track by the sliding mechanism, those balls also drive the hook part. I've not had the two that I own apart, but they aren't so complicated that it couldn't be done. If it's jammed, probably a broken or deformed ball, or some debris in the ball tracks.

I've always thought it would work better with better quality balls, like Torlon instead of Delrin. I may try replacing them someday.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:44 PM   #8

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Mine jammed up a few years ago and I contacted the company in Norway (maybe Sweden) and got a reply from the inventor. He had me try a couple things, then wanted to see the mechanism that was giving me grief. He shipped me the new mechanism and I shipped the jammed one back to him, all at no cost. Excellent service!
info@hookandmoor.com
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #9

City: Maple Bay BC
Vessel Name: Orca
Vessel Model: RFC Coaster 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwestman View Post
One is partly extended and won't retract. So the hook won't open all the way. The other one functions but is REALLY hard to make work, harder than is should be. Tried spraying them with lube but that did not help.

One the jammed on I can see little white balls or plastic bearings inside the hook.

It is a neat idea but a LOT of moving parts, which is why I am trying to get information before I end up with a bucket of small things.
I've got one and it stops about one ball diameter away from closed. I've wiggled and jiggled it, open and closed it, been gentle and forceful. Very little use on it and it almost works like it is. It would be real nice to be able to fix it.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #10
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
I have one and love it. I do have to break out the instructions every year to refresh...
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #11

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
I've had two now and they just get tough to operate once they've had some salt water on them. Have to clean them up and even then. Way too much trouble for the benefits.
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #12

City: Compton
Talook at this if you have a need to pick up a mooring a lot. It"s $45.00 and looks simple to operate. I am thinking about getting one. EasyMoor Home
Pieyed47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieyed47 View Post
Talook at this if you have a need to pick up a mooring a lot. It"s $45.00 and looks simple to operate. I am thinking about getting one. EasyMoor Home

I have one and it works great. However, the rings on the top of the WA State Parks mooring balls are too thick for it to work. As such, I don’t end up using it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Penetanguishene
Vessel Name: Loose Goose X, and second boat, the Benchmark
Vessel Model: 1994 Ocean Alexander 423 and a 1967 Chris Craft Constellation
Mine seized up as well due to salt water ingress. the salt crystal bonds are very hard to break. seems I had to do a hot fresh water soak for 15 minutes to free it up, hen it worked fine....I now give it a fresh water spray periodically.
Benchmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:01 PM   #15
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I have one and it works great. However, the rings on the top of the WA State Parks mooring balls are too thick for it to work. As such, I don’t end up using it.
We've had ours for 4 years and it has grabbed a mooring ring 100% of the time. HOWEVER, those new, larger plastic WA State Park buoy rings lay on their sides and are very challenging to pick up (not like the easy old tire buoys). It has taken an extra attempt (or three), but we've always managed to make it work. You just have to get a good angle on it - which is right about when you're floating off and can barely reach it anymore!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
We've had ours for 4 years and it has grabbed a mooring ring 100% of the time. HOWEVER, those new, larger plastic WA State Park buoy rings lay on their sides and are very challenging to pick up (not like the easy old tire buoys). It has taken an extra attempt (or three), but we've always managed to make it work. You just have to get a good angle on it - which is right about when you're floating off and can barely reach it anymore!

I can give it try again. Now I use a hook that came with my boat that never fails to grab. The catch is that it is a hook that is designed for temporary use, ie grab the mooring ball while you attach a more permanent line. Maybe I'll try my Hook & Moor to feed that permanent line.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:23 PM   #17

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: TUGAWAY
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I've had to take ours apart a couple of times.

You have take the two halves apart and get the little nylon balls re-located to the proper side of the sliding component in the hook. It's a real fiddle but it's a great device when it works...

I'm intrigued that the inventor will send out a replacement if it's jammed. That might be your best bet.

-evan
eheffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 12:53 AM   #18
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieyed47 View Post
Had one, didn't work that well in the real world (hook is too small), then it broke. I didn't bother replacing it. The Hook and Moor works much better in my opinion, but could work smoother as this thread suggests. The Hook and Moor also works both directions - you can push to activate it or pull. Depending on what you are going after, sometimes one way works better than the other. All the other devices I've seen (I own I think 4 of them) only work one direction.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:38 AM   #19

City: Helsinki
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwestman View Post
Anyone have any luck fixing one of the Hook & Moor boat hooks? Got two for free (they are not working right) and was hoping someone has done this before me. Web site and instructions are no help.

Give me something to do over the winter.

Maybe if I tackle this I can post pictures for the next person.
Hi, I am not the Trawler owner, only wannabe Trawlerowner. (Now I´m sailing Marino Barracuda 32, made in Finland.) I have Hook&Moore and after 4 years it stop working. I opend it so far it was possible, but I did not find any reason why it did not work. I clean it up, sreayd a lot of WD40 and spray silicon. Then I faund out that the red button of the end of the stic was jammed. I unskreved it, reinstal the spring and now it works better than it was new. Sorry for my immigrant language, I´m not born a learned English speaker but I hope you understand me. Happy sailing, best regasds! JJ.
TheSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 11:55 AM   #20
Guru

City: Middle River
Wife used to have problems picking up moorings. I made her a rebar hook with a deep narrow throat & a line attached. Put it on the end of a boat hook tube with a lot of tape on the rebar, & jammed in the end of the tube. Wife hooks buoy holds onto pole captain backs down w / line cleated off. Hook pops out of pole.

Haven't you guys ever seen a "flying gaff"???
SIBERNUT is offline   Reply With Quote