high quality boatyards/service providers in seattle/vancouver/victoria area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowball

Guru
Any recommendations on high quality providers for services like soft work, canvas, thrusters, interior, etc? I realize they may be different places.

I really like Delta boatyard in Seattle for the mechanicals. They also have a dock out front you can spend the night on before hauling out as well as when you leave. Very professional. I stayed on my boat for about a week and did a lot of work myself. I'm a livaboard and they didn't have any issues with this. Can't speak to the other work. I would check with the boatyard on prices for this along with if they allow outside contractors. I'm guessing it will depend on how much work your paying them for.

Philbrook’s Boatyard, Sidney, BC

Thrusters I would talk to Emerald Harbor Marine. If it involves a haul out, they can arrange it at one of the area yards. Depending on what interior work you have in mind they might be able to help as well. S3 could do it too.

Breezy Canvas does good work, but you might be waiting for a long time, if not forever.

Canvas Supply in Ballard has done good cushion rebuild work for us.

For shades and blinds, we had a great experience with Wessco Blinds right by the Freemont Bridge.

Might be able to help more if you can say more about the "interior and "soft" work.

I really like Delta boatyard in Seattle for the mechanicals. They also have a dock out front you can spend the night on before hauling out as well as when you leave. Very professional. I stayed on my boat for about a week and did a lot of work myself. I'm a livaboard and they didn't have any issues with this. Can't speak to the other work. I would check with the boatyard on prices for this along with if they allow outside contractors. I'm guessing it will depend on how much work your paying them for.

I really like Delta too, and they are the only place in Seattle that can haul us. Just keep in mind that there is a very short list of outside vendors who are allowed to work there, so check that in advance.

There also nordlund in Tacoma.Pretty sure they can haul 100 feet or so. They changed from building new boats to being a full service yard when ownership changed. Mostly same very talented crew though.

Agree with Philbrooks--long history and good reputation

Any recommendations on high quality providers for services like soft work, canvas, thrusters, interior, etc? I realize they may be different places.

Hi bowball.

In Everett, I've had excellent service from the Port of Everett (https://www.portofeverett.com/) for haulouts, and Harbor Marine (https://www.harbormarine.net/) for mechanical and electrical service. For canvas and other "soft" goods, I can highly recommend In Canvas (https://www.incanvas.com/).

In Shilshole, I've had excellent work from Seaview Boatyard West (https://www.seaviewboatyard.com/).

Regards,

Pete

Talk to folks at Seaview North in Bellingham. It’s a big yard that also works on commercial fishing vessels so there are some seasonal considerations. Bellingham has a lot of marine services.

Do not under ANY circumstances go to Salmon Bay. If you are sinking and they offer to help, tow the boat gripping your anchor line in your teeth and swimming it away. If your dental work prevents this option, remove personal items, let the boat sink, and salvage it off the bottom later. Do not use Salmon Bay.

Last edited:
Shelter Island, Richmond BC has some advantages. Yard offers limited services, it's mostly contractors and a number of them are based there. No-hassle contractor access, and delivery trucks can drive right to your boat, and you can usually drive your vehicle to your boat. They have monthly, not sure weekly, as well as daily rate. I think it's 200T max.

And there's a good pub right there. They don't care if you stay on your boat. For an added fee you get access to showers and laundry.

Any fabrication work, stainless, aluminum, or steel, Blackline Marine at Canoe Cove Marina is marvelous.

I really like Delta too, and they are the only place in Seattle that can haul us. Just keep in mind that there is a very short list of outside vendors who are allowed to work there, so check that in advance.

Does Delta work on more modest boats? All I've ever seen there are mega yachts, not 40 year old trawlers.

I have had excellent quality work done at a reasonable price by Northharbor in Anacortes.

They are a large full service boat yard offering every speciality imaginable.

My boat is there right now, and the GM Diana is an old friend.

If you are looking for bargain basement work, this is NOT the boatyard to go to. If you are looking for excellent quality work from an employer that pays a good wage including full benefits to their technicians then this is a great choice for any work you need.

Last edited:
From personal and extensive experience with our Nauticat 44 in 2020 I heartily recommend Philbrook's Boatyard and Blackline Marine in Sidney, BC. If they cannot do all you need they will refer you to quality folks who do.

Back
Top Bottom