Old 05-31-2022, 06:03 PM   #1
ljk

City: Fort Myers FL
Vessel Name: Hobie Kayak
Vessel Model: Passport 12.0, 34 Mainship Pilot, Mako 24,32 Regal Commodore, PT-41 Trawler, 33 Chris Craft Cavalier
Great Loop in 30 Days?

This guy is trying to do the Loop in 30 days. Hes got a newly repowered Glacier Bay and is about halfway through.

And he is on schedule!

https://youtu.be/scmbf5dOnjw
ljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:33 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Just another person making money on the net.

Can't say anything positive/negative about the guy till I had a 5 minute conversation with him.

But the concept of doing the loop in 30 days to me doesn't impress me on so many levels.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:29 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
That is so sad to go through all the trouble to miss the whole point of cruising / looping
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:46 PM   #4

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
That is so sad to go through all the trouble to miss the whole point of cruising / looping

Not sad at all... he just has a different motivation and goal. Bully for him if this is what gives him boating joy.
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 09:52 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. HT. Indeed. Bully for him. Young guys. Capable boat. A month to have fun and enjoy cruising. THAT'S the whole point for these guys.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:24 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
If you'll pay us enough, we'll do it in 20 days. However, would only be for money and to prove we could, but couldn't call it doing the Great Loop. To me, the loop isn't about proving you can complete a circle, but about enjoying so much of the country by water.

Still, if it pays for them, sounds like a fun endeavor. Hope they avoid any major engine issues on the way and can do it. Many such endeavors fail over mechanical problems.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:34 PM   #7
Guru

City: West coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTurner View Post
Not sad at all... he just has a different motivation and goal. Bully for him if this is what gives him boating joy.
+1
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:36 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
What's the record fastest time anyway? Is there a record?
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 01:56 AM   #9
Guru

City: Boston Area
From Greatloop.org

The Great Loop has been done in as little as six weeks and in as much as 12 years.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:00 AM   #10
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
What's the record fastest time anyway? Is there a record?

I know a guy did it in something like 60 days (not continuously though) by doing various segments on different pontoon boats. Pretty sure he finished up last year.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:20 AM   #11
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Watched some of his videos. I don't get the impression he is doing this to make money. He has a goal and it's his idea of an adventure, doesn't mean it fits everyone's dream. Maybe between family and work obligations, 30 days is the most time away he can manage.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:02 AM   #12
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Some people are just wired differently. When I was young I rode my motorcycle all over the country. I did seven 1000-mile days not by direct intention, just didn't stop (my right shoulder trapazoid muscle still tinges when I think of this). A few months ago I drove from my home in St Pete to Houston non-stop not because I intended to do so, just turned out that way.

Also made me a very efficient delivery skipper - I'd just wouldn't stop. One of my best friends is wired the same. When we would 'day-sail' in SF Bay, we'd head due west 40-miles past the Farallon Islands (next stop: Japan) and come back.

I'm trying to re-wire myself and smell the roses a bit more. But I can see how doing the Loop at that pace would be attractive for a certain personality. But my guess is you won't see too many women in his videos, at least not while transiting.

Peter
Old 06-01-2022, 08:08 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Some people are just wired differently. When I was young I rode my motorcycle all over the country. I did seven 1000-mile days not by direct intention, just didn't stop (my right shoulder trapazoid muscle still tinges when I think of this). A few months ago I drove from my home in St Pete to Houston non-stop not because I intended to do so, just turned out that way.

Also made me a very efficient delivery skipper - I'd just wouldn't stop. One of my best friends is wired the same. When we would 'day-sail' in SF Bay, we'd head due west 40-miles past the Farallon Islands (next stop: Japan) and come back.

I'm trying to re-wire myself and smell the roses a bit more. But I can see how doing the Loop at that pace would be attractive for a certain personality. But my guess is you won't see too many women in his videos, at least not while transiting.

Peter
I agree. I know some people who have no trouble driving almost nonstop for 1000 miles. In fact, some even enjoy it. Anything more than about 200 is a chore for me that I hate.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:27 AM   #14
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
I don't know much about outboard motors. Guessing he'd put about 400 hours on those Suzuki's. How trouble free should they be over a long haul? What is the service interval for oil etc? Chances of a prop strike?

Just curious

Peter
Old 06-01-2022, 08:29 AM   #15
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Other than oil changes and maybe a set of spark plugs, I'd expect pretty much any modern engine to run 400 hours pretty trouble free, especially starting off from new.

As far as the pace, it's also somewhat human nature to do things like that just to see if it can be done.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 08:44 AM   #16
Guru

I don't know know too much about modern outboards but 300 hours over 30 days should not be an issue I'd think. Some regular maintenance, but like any modern engine, probably better to run them a lot than not much at all.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:56 AM   #17

City: Corpus Christi
Vessel Model: Willard Vega Horizon
If one watches their relatively short YouTube videos one will see the prep they did to their engines.
HTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:27 AM   #18
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Everyone is wired different, this guy seems to be doing it for himself. no way he can film,edit,post the thing for profit in 30 days. I regularly drive 0ver 1000 miles in a day on road trips to cali, did it last week. Is it normal or even smart.. probably not.

I watched a new movie called 14 Peaks a couple weeks about a guy that all 14 8k+ peaks in one year!. He also saved a couple climbers facing certain death who were not in his team along the way. Again, some are just wired different. Watch the movie, best documentary I have seen for some time.
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:28 AM   #19
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
This discussion reminds me of John Mirassou's Great Loop trip with two other buddies in an open, 17' Boston Whaler back in the 80's (87?), followed by his book "Only in America." We have a signed copy of that book on the coffee table on our boat now. One 90-horse Johnson.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #20
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
This discussion reminds me of John Mirassou's Great Loop trip with two other buddies in an open, 17' Boston Whaler back in the 80's (87?), followed by his book "Only in America." We have a signed copy of that book on the coffee table on our boat now. One 90-horse Johnson.

You can really go places with a " Big Johnson"

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote