Old 06-23-2021, 08:58 PM   #1

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: RambleOn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Grand Banks Window Washer

I have a 1987 Grand Banks 36 Classic. There is a window washer solenoid switch and I can trace the washer piping back to the port water tank but I don't see a separate pump for the system. Original boat plumbing diagram suggests the washer piping is somehow tied to the cold water line running to the forward head which suggests the washers are pressurized from the main fresh water pump but the solenoid switch doesn't seem to activate the pump when pressed. Does anyone out there in forum-land know how this window washer system works? Or they work on trawlers generally?
Thanks
Khays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:59 PM   #2

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: 55 Offshore
On my 42 GB (1980) there is a knob above the lower helm that, when turned, opens fresh fresh water onto the windshield. No separate solenoid though, just that valve off of the fresh water line.
Attached Thumbnails
466E18C2-75A2-4C39-8F63-1A8422E93735.jpg  
Bradenvlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:16 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
I have a solenoid system. The solenoid only opens a valve (when washer button is pressed) which wets the windshield. The entire windshield wash system is pressurized by the FW pump (cold side). I haven’t been able to locate an exclusion valve. Probably doesn’t exist.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 05:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Following this. Just about ready to dig into mine. There must be a solenoid valve of some kind that opens when the button is pushed. Mine appear to be tied into the cold water line leading to the head via copper tubing on the starboard side.
Old 06-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #5
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khays View Post
I have a 1987 Grand Banks 36 Classic. There is a window washer solenoid switch and I can trace the washer piping back to the port water tank but I don't see a separate pump for the system. Original boat plumbing diagram suggests the washer piping is somehow tied to the cold water line running to the forward head which suggests the washers are pressurized from the main fresh water pump but the solenoid switch doesn't seem to activate the pump when pressed. Does anyone out there in forum-land know how this window washer system works? Or they work on trawlers generally?
Thanks
On my earlier 1979 GB42 the windshield wash came off the pressurized fresh water system via a manual valve in the ceiling above the helm.

In your system, if you have traced the piping back to a tank then it seems it is missing a pump, or you may have missed it. Alternatively if the washer piping connects to the pressurised water system then there must be a solenoid valve for this to work.

Sorry I can be of more help.
Old 06-24-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Charleston, SC
Vessel Model: Sabre 38 SE
1989 GB 36. Solenoid on copper tubing in the flybridge helm compartment above the windows.
oguidry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 09:36 AM   #7
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
The system in our EB47 works from the cold fresh water, and uses the main pump for pressure. There are three valves, one over each washer arm. They tend to leak over time. Took me forever to figure out it wasn't the AC, wasn't a front windshield seal, wasn't some random crack somewhere...

Ours has a valve in-line down in the engine room. I turned it off and disconnected the line to let it drain. I'm guessing a past winterization probably forgot to purge the washer lines at each one and the tiny bit of water left behind probably cracked the valve.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #8

City: Sequim
Vessel Name: RambleOn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Grand Banks Window Washer

Thank you for the replies, very helpful. The "piping" I traced probably is not related, based on looking at my own diagrams and the feedback but leaves me wondering what the tiny plastic piping is for? I'll investigate further later today and share any revelations I have on the system and the mystery piping.
Cheers.
Khays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:06 PM   #9
Guru

City: Mahón, Menorca
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Vessel Model: 1973 Grand Banks 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khays View Post
The "piping" I traced probably is not related, based on looking at my own diagrams and the feedback but leaves me wondering what the tiny plastic piping is for?
Pipe for an air horn?
Old 06-24-2021, 03:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
They are correct. Take a coat hanger and cut a straight piece and stick it up the tube and push the button.

Mud dobbers seem to love that little pipe.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand banks, pump, washer, window