Getting rid of the wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
I have a couple of friends who have removed the teak railings from there boat and replaced it with* UHMW, Starboard*or other forms of plastic.

Or do you like the look or the work of sanding and varnishing?

SD

skipperdude wrote:
I have a couple of friends who have removed the teak railings from there boat and replaced it with* UHMW, Starboard*or other forms of plastic.

Or do you like the look or the work of sanding and varnishing?

SD
Are the plastic replacements available already shaped or does the boat owner do that?*

I'm not sure how my little Craftsman router table will handle all that plastic.

I ask because I'd rather replace than sand and paint the damn wood.

I*bought a large sheet 8'X 10' of 3/4 in. Cut it into strips with a table saw.

A friend of mine did the same. He*first cut it into two large L shaped pieces with a jig saw and used a router to round over the edges. They fit across the rear corners with only one seem. The stuff comes in UV stable colors.He chose blue to match his trim paint.

You never have to mess with it again the surface is even pebbled to make it non slip.

SD

Wood belongs exclusively to the interior.

Attachments

• cabin stairs.jpg
    cabin stairs.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 114
Roger Roger.

That is my boat. I even used my own wood. We cut down a nice big birch and milled the molding*using a*table saw and a router table for all the trim work.

No wood outside the door,

SD

BaltimoreLurker wrote:

I ask because I'd rather replace than sand and paint the damn wood.
******** Balt, If the rails are teak, strip them down once and don't refinsh them.

******** Once and while clean em up with water and a Scotchbrite Pad.

*********Thats about as maintenance free as they get.

******** JohnP

markpierce wrote:
Wood belongs exclusively to the interior.
******** Mark,* Impressive woodwork on your Coot!* Will be a great source of pride!

******* Cheers.** JohnP

JohnP wrote:
******** Balt, If the rails are teak, strip them down once and don't refinsh them.

******** JohnP

Been varnishing/Cetoling the stuff for years. Your comment on stripping and letting them go au naturel has a certain amount of appeal. May seriously consider it next time the cap rails need to be stripped and refinished. On the other hand, I am like a crow: I like shiny things (as well as "boat projects" to keep me busy). I may be a bit of a masochist but, then, aren't most of us boat owners. Beat me with another $thousand PLEASE.

I am having a hard time picturing plastic or starboard handrails. Do you have some pictures?? I kind of wish my Monk had lest exterior teak...but then I note how pretty she looks and well....then I like the teak! Even my mast is teak! :)

Attachments

• full shot.jpg
    full shot.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 131
  • close up.jpg
    close up.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 125
  • cockpit.jpg
    cockpit.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 124
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 133
  • swim step.jpg
    swim step.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 117
SeaHorse II wrote:Come on Mark! What's wrong with a little exterior wood?

*Been there and done that.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 11th of May 2011 04:44:25 PM

Attachments

• stern end barge.jpg
    stern end barge.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 128
dwhatty wrote:JohnP wrote:

******** JohnP

Been varnishing/Cetoling the stuff for years. Your comment on stripping and letting them go au naturel has a certain amount of appeal. May seriously consider it next time the cap rails need to be stripped and refinished. On the other hand, I am like a crow: I like shiny things (as well as "boat projects" to keep me busy). I may be a bit of a masochist but, then, aren't most of us boat owners. Beat me with another $thousand PLEASE.

*Another trick for teak, if you can manage it, is to hose it down with sea water.* It gets a very nice grey color then.* In the NW, bare teak tends to get kind of spotty from mold, which doesn't happen with the sea water treatment.

JohnP wrote:
******** Mark,* Impressive woodwork on your Coot!* Will be a great source of pride!

*Thanks, John,* The craftsmen at Seahorse do things pretty.

-- Edited by markpierce on Wednesday 11th of May 2011 05:09:22 PM

Attachments

• fwd cabin ceiling.jpg
    fwd cabin ceiling.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 113
  • doc no.jpg
    doc no.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 121
I just added some wood!

Attachments

• dscn0824.jpg
    dscn0824.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 111
Can you guys say "Resale value"?

OK, once your boat has depreciated right out, a change to starboard or, oh why not abs pipe? wouldn't change the value much.

Walt, how much do you think you could get for your boat with Starboard trim bits where all of that gorgeous wood is now?

Keith
I don't think in terms of "resale value", rather I'm focused on "Intrinsic value" and "pride of ownership"; However I also believe that when and if that time comes in a hopefully distant future, that this focus does translate into "resale value". regardless whether it does or not, it creates real value for me. I have actually used starboard; its a good functional material = in my case at a barbeque station, but I find value in (albeit limited) use of wood.

RED wrote:
I just added some wood!

*Beautiful Nameboards!*** "Wood is Good".**** JohnP

SeaHorse II wrote:Come on Mark! What's wrong with a little exterior wood?
*Walt,* Seahorse's teak looks great do you maintain it yourself?

Did she come with those S.S. cowl vents?*** Looks awesome!* JohnP

This thread has taken an interesting twist.* There's an earlier thread where I commented that I'm letting the varnish flake off on it's own, and I'll just go natural.* I was told that is a big mistake as trim teak is cut differently than deck teak and can't be left bare as it will quickly become all black and nasty looking. Now I'm confused!

Well finished wood is like a very beautiful woman.* Wonderful to look at.* Maybe even worth renting.* But the maintenance is just too much.

We bought our trawler because of the teak decks, railing and trim.* They are not that hard and time consuming but you have to maintain them.* 95% of the teak decks problems is because the owner did not maintain them as they give plenty a warning and over long periods of time.* As for the vanishing its a lot better than mowing/weeding/gardening and painting a dirt house.
Most thing that are worth having/keeping requires maintenance/up keep.*Its the teak wood that give the Eagle is appeal/character.*

Phil Fill wrote:95% of the teak decks problems is because the owner did not maintain them as they give plenty a warning and over long periods of time.* As for the vanishing its a lot better than mowing/weeding/gardening and painting a dirt house.
.*Its the teak wood that give the Eagle is appeal/character.*
*I agree about the decks. I agree about varnishing vs mowing but I am doing both right now...I need to fix that and not by selling the boat. Teak does give character for sure, no doubt about that.
biggrin.gif

jleonard wrote:
*I agree about the decks. I agree about varnishing vs mowing but I am doing both right now...I need to fix that and not by selling the boat. Teak does give character for sure, no doubt about that.
biggrin.gif

*Right on.* The boat's for entertainment.* I have enough work to do already.

JohnP wrote:
*Walt,* Seahorse's teak looks great do you maintain it yourself? Did she come with those S.S. cowl vents?**

Thanks for the complement, John, but I hire out the varnishing. (Also the washing & waxing) Yes, the cowl vents are original equipment.

I decided about 5 years ago that I wanted a single engine, dark hull, wood trimmed boat & that I would hire out most of her maintenance. It's no difference than owning a classic, cream puff 57 Chevy.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and to me, she has great lines and deserves to be kept up.

I had an inspection team from Maine, last February, go over her and take several cruises but as of late,I'm still waiting for their report.
biggrin.gif

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 16th of May 2011 08:55:25 AM

Attachments

• img_3730.jpg
    img_3730.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 90
  • img_3729.jpg
    img_3729.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 89
  • img_3725.jpg
    img_3725.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 98
JohnP wrote:
Did she come with those S.S. cowl vents?*** Looks awesome!* JohnP

*Some would appear to be.

Attachments

• side vents.jpg
    side vents.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 90
koliver wrote:Walt, how much do you think you could get for your boat with Starboard trim bits where all of that gorgeous wood is now?
Ken:

I have no idea how much my boat would sell for but I know it's not enough to cover* a suitable (to me) replacement vessel. I must admit to not knowing what "Starboard trim bits" are.

Well it seems that there are*several schools of thought on this subject.

If you are like Seahorse and can hire the maintenance wood is good.

If you have a lot of time on your hands and like doing the work wood is good.

If you like to use the boat and just keep her clean wood is bad.

I am in the last one I have enough to do with all the system checks and*general maintenance. and just keeping things organized. I would mutch rather just go play than spend all that time sanding, rubbing, painting/varnishing.

I have to agree wood looks nice if maintained but most often boats just don't get the care of the wood that's required. So a walk thru the harbor shows many a need for refinishing.

SD*

As the saying goes -- "Whatever floats your boat." I'm in the process of buying this boat (http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987/Newburyport-37-Double-Cabin-2100200/Warwick/RI/United-States) and am looking forward to making the teak decks, exterior teak trim and the all teak interior look as good as it can get. I have restored every boat I have owned (and most of the houses) and just love the transformation into maximizing potential, even with all the hard work which may not be, ultimately, financially rewarded.

There's something about doing this kind of work that "floats my boat" so doing it is my personal reward. On the other hand, if it's not satisfying to you to do this, it makes perfect sense to look at any and all alternatives.

DVD

Here in the Pacific Northwest, the best (and almost only) season for varnishing is also the best (and almost only) season for cruising! I hope to leave as soon as all the preparation is done and not return from SE Alaska till October. My varnish is in need of a full overhaul, so I am going to let it flake off and see if I like the gray teak look. I saw another Taiwan built trawler in my marina with gray teak window frames, and I liked it. I really cannot afford the thousands of dollars needed to pay for varnish work and my boat is for cruising, not for being a marina queen. If I really don't like the look, or its time to sell, then I can sand and varnish.

dvd wrote:
As the saying goes -- "Whatever floats your boat."

Dvd,* Good Luck with your new boat,* I checked out a Newburyport a few years back and really liked it.

However you handle your wood maintenance, I am sure you will enjoy your purchase.

Whether you take Walt's approach or Dude's or somewhere in between, it is all good.

My boat has a varnished transom, caps and rails,and nameboards.* I can hand sand and 1 coat it in a few hours, usually start when the dew drys and finsh before lunch.

I do this Spring, Mid Season, and Fall. That keeps thing fresh here in the NorthEast ( not quite as nice as Seahorse, but okay)

The teak eyebrows are left natural, and the bridge trim needs work.You learn to pick your battles.

Have a great Season with your new Trawler.** JohnP

Originally ordered my Coot with teak-topped deck, but based on comments from this forum I had*decided to drop that option, thus saving*on maintenance, hot decks, and*lots of*$$$.

Back
Top Bottom