Gas or electric dinghy outboard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the littlest Suzuki and a Newport electric, both from other boats before I bought a trawler with a tender. I have the electric onboard right now, but we shall see.

A frustrating problem that I had with the Suzuki 2.5 was it would not idle down after a few months. The problem, which it shares with other tiny outboards, is that the jet is so small that a knat's whisker can plug it up. I took it apart several times and blew air through. That helped for awhile. Then I bought a larger jet (for a different Suzuki application, but it fit and was one of the solutions that I found on the internet). I was as careful as possible keeping the gas clean and I even tried to install an inline fuel filter. Not enough room as the carb is gravity fed.

What I finally figured out after taking the engine almost entirely apart is that under the gas fill vent, hidden by the retainer chain and washer, was a little cheesy "air filter." Probably used to keep knats out of the gas. But it fell apart into little knat's whiskers and that is what I was finding in the jet orifice. Removed the "filter," poured the gas out and refiltered. Haven't had the problem since.

But the electric still wins for now. I know to watch the currents having rowed against them in the past when a gas outboard died.

Good thread. Thank you for the perspectives.

I definitely like and prefer electric. And will choose electric. It is matter of which one!

(I have a 4 stroke TOHATSU 5HP for sale!)

Look at ePropulsion, they have the edge in my opinion.

Rubber duckies even w a tin bottom won’t match the Livingston speed shown above. I’m talk’in cruise speed. With alcohol free gas outboards are better. And still the electric’s performance is lacking when you factor in cost, range with the OB having spare gas cans, weight and speed and other things like theft.
The biggie for me is cost. I can go on CL and find a good OB for my dinghy for 3 to $500. But not having the peace of mind re running out of “gas” is a dealbreaker by itself. Then the very real worry about theft is another dealbreaker.

But electric may be fine for others w different circumstances. Everything is dependent on evolution. Diesel pleasure boats were unthinkable a while back but then they got a lot lighter and less smokey. Gas outboards will probably be history sometime but IMO that’s a long way off. Cars too. It’s mostly future stuff. There may not be any electric boats or cars if it was’nt for people that just have-to have the newest thing.

So my vote goes gas.

If speed is a priority, you can't beat gas. I can't lift a bigger outboard than a 3.5 hp on and off of my dinghy on the swim platform, so there is no sense in comparing to gas outboards bigger than that. So in comparing an electric with a 3.5 hp or less, 4-cycle gas, I still say it's a no-brainer. Electric is lighter, quieter, cleaner, more dependable, has reverse, requires no maintenance, and although more expensive initially can be cheaper over the long term. Even if it did not pay for itself in dollars, how much is your aggravation worth when it won't start or won't keep running or needs to go into the shop in the middle of the season. Again, a priority for me is that my wife can solo to the beach and back with no worries about whether she will have trouble starting or running the engine. Regarding range, if you look at the newest models, you will see that range has greatly improved over the years and will more than suit my needs.

Last edited:
Yes, Electric for dinghies is brilliant! And I really like the fact they are SOOOO light!

I traded my Yamaha 5.0hp for a Torqeedo and have no regrets. I would do it again for a dingy or small boat. It’s just hard to compete gas with electric. I have no experience with the brand you purchased but if it is as good as the Torqeedo I think you will be happy.

John T.

I traded my Yamaha 5.0hp for a Torqeedo and have no regrets. I would do it again for a dingy or small boat. It’s just hard to compete gas with electric. I have no experience with the brand you purchased but if it is as good as the Torqeedo I think you will be happy.

John T.

I almost bought a Torqeedo by default as the go-to electric outboard till I discovered ePropulsion. They appear to be the main competitor and have several advantages in my opinion. There is plenty of online reviews, comparisons and videos if you want to do some research. There is a pretty thorough comparison here: https://nestawayboats.com/shop/epropulsion-spirit-plus-1kw-electric-outboard/

As with many things boat oriented, it is all a matter of personal boating lifestyle. If for some reason we were going to be limited to such a small and slow dinghy, I'd have no motor at all and just use a purpose-built rowing dinghy, maybe even one that could also be rigged to sail. Both of us enjoy rowing.

One of the many things we learned from chartering was that we wanted a dinghy with some real range and zip, and console steering, as everything we rented had tiller-steer; and one that had a 15hp was a lot more fun than 5.

We're contemplating getting a small-ish "camping boat" for long weekends and maybe one or two week cruises. You can be certain we'll get one from which we can tow our trusty Whaler. When we were cruising full time, we always thought of the big boat as being kind of like the 747 they used to use to transport the space shuttle. Or the rockets used to launch it. The real fun began when we launched the dinghy from the mothership.
Also, inevitably, when we were anchored out or on moorings with other cruising friends that had dinghies like those on this thread, the Whaler was used as the community launch and touring vehicle.

As with many things boat oriented, it is all a matter of personal boating lifestyle. If for some reason we were going to be limited to such a small and slow dinghy, I'd have no motor at all and just use a purpose-built rowing dinghy, maybe even one that could also be rigged to sail. Both of us enjoy rowing.

One of the many things we learned from chartering was that we wanted a dinghy with some real range and zip, and console steering, as everything we rented had tiller-steer; and one that had a 15hp was a lot more fun than 5.

We're contemplating getting a small-ish "camping boat" for long weekends and maybe one or two week cruises. You can be certain we'll get one from which we can tow our trusty Whaler. When we were cruising full time, we always thought of the big boat as being kind of like the 747 they used to use to transport the space shuttle. Or the rockets used to launch it. The real fun began when we launched the dinghy from the mothership.
Also, inevitably, when we were anchored out or on moorings with other cruising friends that had dinghies like those on this thread, the Whaler was used as the community launch and touring vehicle.

There's no argument that a bigger, faster, stronger dinghy would be great, but for many of us here, the "mother ship" is not big enough or equipped to handle that so we have to settle for a small inflatable. Regarding rowing, we like to carry a kayak for that, but it still doesn't have the range or speed of an inflatable with a small outboard. I wasn't meaning to compare sizes of dinghies or what power motor is best, I am only trying to make the case that for an outboard of 3.5 HP or less, an electric could be a great option to consider.

Without even looking at it the tech knew it was a carb problem. These tiny motors are notorious for this.

The tech is correct, in that it is always a carb issue, however it is neither the carb's fault nor the outboards fault itself. It has to do with how the owner managed the fuel. You really need to do a few things:

1) Use a fuel stabilizer with each fill-up I use Sta-bil marine for ethenol gas.
2) Use a either Startron or Seafoam with each fill-up.
3) Run the carb empty if you're going to store the motor for a week or longer. I start the motor, then shut the fuel off and let it run until it stalls.

Buy a yamaha or tohatsu instead of a merc and your problem will be solved.

Unless Yamaha or Tohatsu started making small fuel injected motors, this is a fuel based carb issue. All gas motors are susceptible to this issue. Incidentally, all OB's under around 15HP are using Tohatsu blocks anyway.

Funny, I have a 20 year old Mercury 15 2T on our tender which has required essentially zero maintenance. It's predecessor was a 35hp Johnson, also essentially maintenance free. In both cases the plugs get changed every couple years and the lower end oil every five or so. I haven't gone for the 4T outboard due to the excessive weight. The tender is stored without the outboard installed so I have to lift it.

Electric would be fine if you're sure that the distances covered will ALWAYS be very short. However we use our tender to explore or go to stores several miles from where we're anchored, so it isn't an option. One last consideration is that the tender is also the lifeboat. If you are forced to abandon ships several miles offshore which would you want? An outboard that can take you 20-30 miles or an electric that can get you maybe 5 before you're drifting? That's one reason we always carry both a primary and backup fuel tank in the tender as well. Keep in mind help may not always be close by.

I traded my Yamaha 5.0hp for a Torqeedo and have no regrets.
Not to mention "it is not necessary to "open the gas tank vent" when operating a Torqeedo.":facepalm::hide:

If you are forced to abandon ships several miles offshore which would you want? An outboard that can take you 20-30 miles or an electric that can get you maybe 5 before you're drifting? That's one reason we always carry both a primary and backup fuel tank in the tender as well. Keep in mind help may not always be close by.

It's just batteries and speed. You can carry a spare battery for the travel series just as easily (easier, actually) as a gas can. Granted, they cost a lot more......

You can store a larger battery bank in the dink (what I am doing) to allow greater range. I will have a range of 20+ miles at 3knots. Granted, it will take a while to get there......

Both of those tradeoffs are worth the simplicity and ease of use to me.

Our eProp outboard will push the Bullfrog dinghy much faster than you can row. I don't think a 3 hp gas outboard would push it faster. A 15 hp, yes. A Honda 2.3 with a 1 liter tank has limited range too - certainly not 20-30 miles. I'd guess about the same as a eProp or Torqueedo. Sure you can carry a can of gas, just as you can carry spare batteries.

Theft was mentioned as a concern about electrics. Why? Because they are more expensive? Or easier to carry?

I am curious to hear from people who have used an electric for at least a few months, then gone back to gas. Most of the doubters here sound like they've never owned an electric. In the 2-3hp range, the only advantage I can see for gas is the purchase price - all downside from there.

Last edited:
I am curious to hear from people who have used an electric for at least a few months, then gone back to gas. Most of the doubters here sound like they've never owned an electric. In the 2-3hp range, the only advantage I can see for gas is the purchase price - all downside from there.

I did (across different boats), but I did in order to get fast planing speeds with higher power, not as an alternative to same-power situations.

The hassles and hurdles for doing just that has caused me to rethink it, and go back to a slightly higher-power electric solution (5-6hp). With a large(r) battery bank.

I'll second the case for electric. In my situation, I've been using a 40 lbs. thrust Minn Kota Riptide purchased used for $100. With a new trolling motor battery, my all-in cost was around $250.

I always have oars for short trips or as a backup.

On the Torqueedo, I have two very reliable sources of info that said they were unreliable. One source, a charter operator, two years ago gave me that info based uoon experience with several dinghy propulsion systems. Another source, about 18 months ago, was a Torqueedo dealer who was exeriencing very high returns.

Both of these info sources are old, Torqueedo may well have fixed their issues since.

Most of the doubters here sound like they've never owned an electric. In the 2-3hp range, the only advantage I can see for gas is the purchase price - all downside from there.
I agree with the above and have never owned an elecric motor. If I want my dinghy to go fast once in awhile, that's why I have a 20hp Honda. If, on the other hand, I just need my dinghy to go ashore and back or cruise around my marina or an anchorage, I would try one of the ePower motors. It's the same logic as buying an 8 knot big boat vs a 15 knot boat. Define (accurately) the dingy's mission before deciding so its power source.:blush:

There's no argument that a bigger, faster, stronger dinghy would be great, but for many of us here, the "mother ship" is not big enough or equipped to handle that so we have to settle for a small inflatable. Regarding rowing, we like to carry a kayak for that, but it still doesn't have the range or speed of an inflatable with a small outboard. I wasn't meaning to compare sizes of dinghies or what power motor is best, I am only trying to make the case that for an outboard of 3.5 HP or less, an electric could be a great option to consider.

Towing is always an option. As I mentioned, our next "big" boat will likely be much smaller than most boats on this forum; and it will be equipped to tow our 13' Whaler as a "Must have". Our great cruising adventure on our old Hatteras would have been hugely diminished and much much less fun with a small inflatable or RIB as the dink. As Codger just said, you need to define the mission. Ours was to maximise the adventure, exploration of surrounding waters and the convenience and fun of doing so.

And as I have also said before, if all someone for whatever reason chooses to use a dinghy for is short trips to shore I definitely see the advantages of electric.

I'll also note that our 2005 Mercury 40ELPTO 2 stroke may be the most reliable and certainly the most abuse-proof piece of machinery I have ever owned of any kind. Has always been fed standard ethanol-laden gas from the pump.

On another note if you are cruising well offshore, a real life raft is far superior and easier to deploy than a dinghy. Easier for SAR to find, too.

Last edited:
Funny, I have a 20 year old Mercury 15 2T on our tender which has required essentially zero maintenance. It's predecessor was a 35hp Johnson, also essentially maintenance free. .

My guess is both are/were 2 stroke. I don't see nearly as many fuel based issues with 2 strokes. What I see are mixxing either too rich (smoke and plugs fouling) or too lean (burning out rings).

It's almost as though the oil in the fuel, or the fact that they simply burn more fuel somehow makes them less susceptible to varnishing and water issues.

Again, where and how you use a dinghy will vary also based on geography. About two issues ago in Pacific Yachting, a mag out of Vancouver but popular in Washington as well, a guy wrote about a bad situation he got into when he left his boat in a dinghy he rowed, then got into trouble when the current was overwhelming his rowing and he ended up in difficult circumstances. Some kind of power propulsion I think is the safest option up here. And if you aren't going far, the large electric trolling rigs are popular up here and cost a heck lot less than the units considered in this thread. With currents up here in BC you can set out with a small to no current and if you are in a Spring tidal situation and you forget to check currents throughout the day, not nice things can happen.

The tech is correct, in that it is always a carb issue, however it is neither the carb's fault nor the outboards fault itself. It has to do with how the owner managed the fuel. You really need to do a few things:

1) Use a fuel stabilizer with each fill-up I use Sta-bil marine for ethenol gas.
2) Use a either Startron or Seafoam with each fill-up.
3) Run the carb empty if you're going to store the motor for a week or longer. I start the motor, then shut the fuel off and let it run until it stalls.

Unless Yamaha or Tohatsu started making small fuel injected motors, this is a fuel based carb issue. All gas motors are susceptible to this issue. Incidentally, all OB's under around 15HP are using Tohatsu blocks anyway.

When I reluctantly bought this engine last year, knowing ahead of time of the carb issues, I made the mistake of thinking that if I bought prepackaged no-ethanol fuel (home depot) that I would be ok. Turns out that didn't work, so going forward (until I get my electric that is on order) I will run it dry and use fuel stabilizer as suggested. Thanks for your help!

Towing is always an option. As I mentioned, our next "big" boat will likely be much smaller than most boats on this forum; and it will be equipped to tow our 13' Whaler as a "Must have". Our great cruising adventure on our old Hatteras would have been hugely diminished and much much less fun with a small inflatable or RIB as the dink. As Codger just said, you need to define the mission. Ours was to maximise the adventure, exploration of surrounding waters and the convenience and fun of doing so.

And as I have also said before, if all someone for whatever reason chooses to use a dinghy for is short trips to shore I definitely see the advantages of electric.

I'll also note that our 2005 Mercury 40ELPTO 2 stroke may be the most reliable and certainly the most abuse-proof piece of machinery I have ever owned of any kind. Has always been fed standard ethanol-laden gas from the pump.

On another note if you are cruising well offshore, a real life raft is far superior and easier to deploy than a dinghy. Easier for SAR to find, too.

2-strokes are much less susceptible to these carb issues. I would not be comfortable towing a dinghy at 15+ knots especially when it's rough.

Again, where and how you use a dinghy will vary also based on geography. About two issues ago in Pacific Yachting, a mag out of Vancouver but popular in Washington as well, a guy wrote about a bad situation he got into when he left his boat in a dinghy he rowed, then got into trouble when the current was overwhelming his rowing and he ended up in difficult circumstances. Some kind of power propulsion I think is the safest option up here. And if you aren't going far, the large electric trolling rigs are popular up here and cost a heck lot less than the units considered in this thread. With currents up here in BC you can set out with a small to no current and if you are in a Spring tidal situation and you forget to check currents throughout the day, not nice things can happen.

The new electric motors mentioned are nothing like an electric trolling motor. They are comparable in speed and power to a 3 HP gas outboard. Larger units are also available. Just like lawn equipment is beginning to go electric, I believe this is the future of small outboards. Initial price is expensive, but long term cost could be similar or less than gas and at the same time providing more dependable operation in a smaller and lighter package.

I agree with the above and have never owned an elecric motor. If I want my dinghy to go fast once in awhile, that's why I have a 20hp Honda. If, on the other hand, I just need my dinghy to go ashore and back or cruise around my marina or an anchorage, I would try one of the ePower motors. It's the same logic as buying an 8 knot big boat vs a 15 knot boat. Define (accurately) the dingy's mission before deciding so its power source.:blush:

Exactly right. My point is once you define that mission as something that a 3 HP motor is what you need, then you should weigh the pros and cons of gas and electric.

Depends on what you use the dinghy for. If just to get to shore and back every so often, then I can definitely understand electric, if you have a good way of charging it. For us, the dinghy is more than just that, it is an exploration vessel.

Yep.
As we continually cruise our tender is our 4x4 truck

This week it has done several 10nm round trips punching through 20knots of wind against tide slop loaded with months worth of groceries and beverages.
Before we move further north it will also do several runs with the 200 litre water bladder filled to top up the main tankage.

Not doing any of that in an electric powered deflatable. ;)

Yep.
As we continually cruise our tender is our 4x4 truck

This week it has done several 10nm round trips punching through 20knots of wind against tide slop loaded with months worth of groceries and beverages.
Before we move further north it will also do several runs with the 200 litre water bladder filled to top up the main tankage.

Not doing any of that in an electric powered deflatable. ;)

You're missing the point. You are also not doing that in a 3 hp gas inflatable.

I like the simplicity of an electric motor but dual use (11' Walker Bay w/ inflatable floor & 25' Rosborough which moves both at 5 mph max) and distance limitation (built-in tank, 2 gal portable tank & 90 gal main tank) is no contest at this time. So far my 2010 6 hp Yamaha has been free of issues.

However if I was only driving a dinghy on short runs I would be much more inclined to go the electric option.

I am still using an old 3hp 2-stroke Mercury. I find it reliable and dead simple to service but some parts are no longer available.

I'll probably go electric when it finally dies. I'm hoping someone will come up with a waterproof e-motor by then. I've had issues in the past with the dinghy getting dumped in the surf.

I'm hoping someone will come up with a waterproof e-motor by then. I've had issues in the past with the dinghy getting dumped in the surf.

The ePropulsion anyway is supposed to be waterproof. In fact the battery is waterproof and light enough that it floats. The motor is constantly submerged so it better be. Leaving the control which looks sealed.

Would I depend on that? - no. But it might survive the occasional dunk. Probably as well as one of the new fuel injected motors, which have electronics of similar complexity in them.

I am very happy with my Tohatsu 4stroke , I have never used ethanol free gas in it however, I run it dry if it is not going to be used for more that a week.
It's good to know that you can go explore all day without any worries of getting stock somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom