Fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Today I found diesel for $5.19, thought I won the lottery.

Although our tanks are currently fuel and I have greatly reduced any cruising plans this Season, Honestly I have been spending more time looking at sailboats on Yachtworld than Trawlers. Sailboats by nature have full displacement hulls and only a few trawlers have that feature. Full displacement trawlers tend to be very expensive to buy. Thinking back a couple of years ago we had great trips up and down the ICW. With fuel stops as low as a buck sixty a gallon. Those were the days. I am glad I did it then. Now the country and the World are in chaos. What is different? You guessed it!

We probably burn about 5000 litres/year for 330 hours of usage
$8000 vs $10000
$5/day extra to live the dream.

Road fuel today in CT has diesel at a full $2 over regular gas. Approx $4.25 gas and $6.25 diesel. That is slightly artificial because of the state tax holiday on gasoline. But still crazy...

A friend in Phoenix has seen some "out of gas" signs at some gas stations.

Although our tanks are currently fuel and I have greatly reduced any cruising plans this Season, Honestly I have been spending more time looking at sailboats on Yachtworld than Trawlers. Sailboats by nature have full displacement hulls and only a few trawlers have that feature. Full displacement trawlers tend to be very expensive to buy. Thinking back a couple of years ago we had great trips up and down the ICW. With fuel stops as low as a buck sixty a gallon. Those were the days. I am glad I did it then. Now the country and the World are in chaos. What is different? You guessed it!
Few trawlers? Krogen, DeFever, Monk to name just a few.

North America most expensive fuel is in BC. Daily record breaking price increases.
This morning Regular 213.9-222.9. Diesel 226.9-236.9
Oh, did I mention that is per liter!

North America most expensive fuel is in BC. Daily record breaking price increases.
This morning Regular 213.9-222.9. Diesel 226.9-236.9
Oh, did I mention that is per liter!

...x 4 = $9.47. Yeow!

Diesel at $2.27C/l is $6.75US per US gallon and that's what it is at one BC fuel dock this morning.

Diesel at $2.27C/l is $6.75US per US gallon and that's what it is at one BC fuel dock this morning.

And, Canada is a fuel exporter of note which should give some supply comfort to those of us cruising in BC.

Few trawlers? Krogen, DeFever, Monk to name just a few.

I was referring to Trawlers like Willards, Kadey Krogen etc without flat wide transoms. I know most boats can travel at displacement speeds but some seem to slip thru the water without effort and barely a ripple at the stern. There are some pilothouse motorsailors with double ended hulls that would also be very slippery. It is all a trade off narrow double ended hulls don't have much interior volume and take considerable slip space. I am in no rush to give up our trawler, The next few years will tell if the war on fossil fuels will continue.

I finally started reading "Captain's cruising on a budget". It's an interesting book, but when he refers to fuel at $1.50, the budget literally goes over the side of the boat.

I filled my tanks filled on the way back from the yard..... I think was about $4.16 or $4.17. I only need 97 gallons out a capacity of 400gal.

It was reported, the price of 'land based' gasoline prices went up 8 cents a gallon last night? I have no idea how this will effect the price of marine diesel, locally. When I was out diving today, gas price was $4.49. I looked down and noticed I still had 200 miles worth of gas in my Lincoln mkz, hybrid. Like the old song said, "drive on by".

Last edited:
I was referring to Trawlers like Willards, Kadey Krogen etc without flat wide transoms. I know most boats can travel at displacement speeds but some seem to slip thru the water without effort and barely a ripple at the stern. There are some pilothouse motorsailors with double ended hulls that would also be very slippery. It is all a trade off narrow double ended hulls don't have much interior volume and take considerable slip space. I am in no rush to give up our trawler, The next few years will tell if the war on fossil fuels will continue.

A narrow stern isn't necessarily a requirement to be a displacement hull. You can easily build a displacement hull with a flat transom (think Nordhavn or commercial fishing boats).

From an investments piece:

Refinery gross margin on diesel is $60 per barrel vs $45 for gas, reflecting the shortage in diesel capacity.

Texas crude is slowly inching down. Takes a week or two to impact pump prices for us. However people drive more in the summer so increased demand. Expect gasoline prices won’t fall much but diesel may in NA. Unlike Europe few cars are diesel but most trucks are. Fall in diesel prices would have a significant effect on inflation as nearly everything comes by truck on its last step to store or USPS, prime, or fedex. Politically price of gas is in the face of voters but diesel equally or more important for inflation. Unfortunately it’s a more hidden cost for most.

Last edited:
Fuel prices on land have shot way up here over the last week (upstate NY). To the point where the gas station across the street is within a few cents of the marina fuel dock price for 90 octane E0 gas and they're actually more expensive for diesel. I'll have to look around a bit, but I'm not sure I can fill my 91+ octane needing car for less than $5/gal right now.

I'd like to share Hippo's optimism, but it seems that every day lately sets a new high price record for gas and diesel. When comparing gas vs. diesel price for road and marine, it's important to note the differences in taxes. Especially now as some states are suspending taxes to help lower the price and ease the pain some. For instance in my state, marine fuel is always expempt from state taxes. Tax on road gas has been suspended through 2022, but not diesel.

Over the last week the prices of both have been jumping 25 - 50 cents every night. Diesel is now $5.89 at the giant truck stop on I-29, and I bet it'll jump over $6 tonight. This is craziness. I don't know how truckers are surviving.

Not all that optimistic about the new normal. Just optimistic there’s a ceiling. Given probable persistence may actually see bio diesel widely available.

The price of diesel is unreal. Years ago, maybe the 2010 time frame, I would have to go look at my log book, I paid $4.50 a USG but that was a short lived price hike.

A few weeks ago, the price was between $5.10-5.30 but went down a bit when I had to fill up the trick, and I paid $4.95!:dance: Being happy to pay $4.95 a USG is a sign of the times.

Was out on Monday and I saw prices from $5.30, $5.40 and $5.60. :eek: This is onroad taxed diesel.

Thankfully, with not having to go into the office to work, I only fill up every four months or so. If they force me back to the office, this fuel price is really going to hurt. Tax on diesel hurts so many people since almost everything is delivered by truck not to mention the fuel used by the farmers.

Later,
Dan

In my first boat I paid about 18¢ a gallon in 1961. Very old, old timers told of 2 gallons for 1¢. I'd guess about 1910.

Not all that optimistic about the new normal. Just optimistic there’s a ceiling. Given probable persistence may actually see bio diesel widely available.

The local 'Chevron" refinery in Burnaby announced going to a lower carbon fuel production. Wonder if that will be a diesel alternative.
Time will tell if that will result in lower prices at the pump down the road.

The price of diesel is unreal. Years ago, maybe the 2010 time frame, I would have to go look at my log book, I paid $4.50 a USG but that was a short lived price hike.

A few weeks ago, the price was between $5.10-5.30 but went down a bit when I had to fill up the trick, and I paid $4.95!:dance: Being happy to pay $4.95 a USG is a sign of the times.

Was out on Monday and I saw prices from $5.30, $5.40 and $5.60. :eek: This is onroad taxed diesel.

Thankfully, with not having to go into the office to work, I only fill up every four months or so. If they force me back to the office, this fuel price is really going to hurt. Tax on diesel hurts so many people since almost everything is delivered by truck not to mention the fuel used by the farmers.

Later,
Dan

Road diesel here is more like $6.50 a gal including taxes.

FSfSx-qWQAEb9tC

It will get worse before it gets better. It's a sad situation where we consider it great luck to find gas in the $4 range and diesel in the $5 range and will happily top off if we do.

That is not good but not surprising. <frown>

Later,
Dan

Absolutely

That's been my message since starting this thread in February. You could see it coming a mile away.

Back
Top Bottom