Faster trawler than just hull speed but seaworthiness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the suggestion on Cutwater. Seems interesting, but can't find anything on the type of boat this really is. Nothing on fuel burn or range. Looks like it can do 30kts, so is this no different than an express boat like a searay?.

Cutwaters are fast coastal cruisers that are extremely similar to Ranger Tugs (same parent company and built in the same factories). They are designed with a stepped hull to go slightly faster and are outfitted with slightly larger engines than RTs at the same length.

Other than that, the differences between the two are largely cosmetic (e.g. RTs look like small tugs whereas Cutwaters have downeast styling).

The larger models (28, 30) are designed for extended cruising if the tight quarters are acceptable. We had a CW 30 for 4 years (liked it, but moved up in size) and our mechanic always complained that it was a 50' boat packed into 30'. That's about right and captures both the good part and the challenge.

Greetings,
Mr. sj. Here's a sistership to "Toonie" from another angle. She's a cat...

iu

We looked at both Cutwaters and Back Coves before we went to two hulls.

Last edited:
I grew up on sport fishermen, switched to sail and cruised from Abaco to Venezuela, then moved to trawlers the Krogen I have now. I will not give you advice but can give you some well-founded observations:
1. There will never be a power boat as seas-worthy as a well-sailed sailboat the same size.
2. Full displacement trawlers are not comfortable in a seaway without stabilizers. If you are used to a motion with a keel & a sail, then you won't like an un-stabilized trawler. If I had not put NIAIDs on my Krogen, I would have sold it.
3. Speed is a stabilizer but an expensive one. Anything above displacement speed takes horsepower. The more horsepower the more fuel. Heavier is more comfortable but takes more horsepower to plane. Speed significantly decreases range. Fuel is north of $6.00 in the Bahamas.
If you understand the parts of the equation, then you will better understand the compromises that you will have to make. Just don't make your decision based on one 12-hour trip. If you are comfortable on the boat then you can always open the rum bottle and wait for the seas to settle.

If you plan to do extended coastal cruising, I'd recommend looking at stabilized boats. Makes a world of difference. Limits your search but in the end worth it. I know of no one who owns a stabilized boat who would own a non-stabilized one.
Peter

Agreed. After having a good experience with a Quick stabilizer in Fintry, almost the first thing we did in Morning Light was add one.

Incidentally, the Quick stablizers are 2/3 the size and cheaper than Seakeeper and don't require water cooling. Highly recommended.

Jim

Sweetwater -- Swan 57 sloop on which we circumnavigated 1995-98
Fintry -- x Royal Navy Fleet Tender -- owned 2003-2022 18,000 miles including trans-Atlantic The Fleet Tender Fintry
Morning Light -- Webbers Cove 42 single screw trawler 2021- 23
?? Going back to sailing after Morning Light is sold.

There's a nice Krogan Express 49 that just came on the market...
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1999-krogen-express-49-9019699/

I like those boats. I think, for me, it's a tossup between that krogan Express and a used Flemming 55. There was a really nice one at Trawlerfest Baltimore a week ago. That is another thing you might do. You missed Baltimore but I think the next one is in Florida in Feb or March if you have not pulled the trigger yet. It was incredibly educational for us both on the ability to look at different boats but the classes are invaluable. I did the Diesel Maintenance class and the Electrical systems class with Nigel Calder and could not recommend them more strongly.

A variety of semi-displacement production boats have been available for many years to do exactly what you describe, except their speeds are generally closer to mid-teens than 20 knots.

Look at American Tug and Nordic Tug. Most of those can reach WOT speeds of 16-18 knots, if you’re willing to pay for the fuel.

Otherwise a class of narrow beam, long hull ‘super displacement’ hulls could also achieve those speeds, but other than Greenline I’m not aware of any production boats like that (the sacrifice in interior cabin space would turn away most buyers).

The Range Boat concept is this type, 46 ft. long.

In most cases if you’re looking to exceed 20 knots in that size range it would be a conventional full planing hull, with associated reductions in ability to handle rough sea conditions.

They’re out there. American Tug 34 and 39, Nordic Tug 37 and 42.

Add a Helmsman 38 to that list to look at.

Aspen C100, C120 or one of their other power cats would be worth looking at. If I recall they are showing a couple at the Annapolis show this weekend.

In the more rolly monohull world, SD trawlers like Nordic Tug and American Tug can get up to that speed with a large enough engine. Not pleasant for long or frequent usage, however, more for outrunning storms, emergencies, etc.

You got that right ?

You might want to look at Back Coves, Eastbays, Palm Beach and other quality downcast style of boats. Would need to know more about your expectations and use to understand better, but that's a little feedback.

Of possible interest to the OP might be that, without implying copyright issues, TF Member IWarden`s Lindell 36 looks what Aussies call "a dead ringer"(= excellent copy) of a Riviera 36. IWarden once told me it was better built than Rivieras. Unaware if Lindell built any other sizes but, it gives you a locally built version of that boat in that size,which may be more readily available and maybe better priced without import costs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom