Every Day Is Like Christmas!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpj23

Vessel Name
Black Horse
Vessel Make
Med Yachts 62
Ah the joy of exploring all the lockers, false bulkheads and voids of a new-to-us boat!

So far I have a SS screw, machine screw and nuts / washers assortment that would rival the Hillman aisle of most small hardware stores. 6 full parts trays full - so much that I had to take some off the boat.

A complete spare autopilot hydraulic pump & motor... yeah it's ancient but hey, ya never know....

And then these were stuffed into a line locker almost as big as the head on our last boat... Had NEVER seen these before and had no idea. Took me a while but I finally figured out what they were. Have 6 of them aboard...!

We find 'presents' every day, so it really IS like Christmas! :thumb:

Attachments

• Tideminders.jpg
    Tideminders.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 105
I remember we filled a small dumpster with all the junk we took off our first bigger boat, including some unmentionables - lady's lingerie. And a diamond ring which turned out to be glass. And at least three mechanical or maintenance parts that I couldn't figure out so i tossed them - until I needed them and realized, Rats, that's what that thing was for...

Every day I learn something new on this forum. Does anyone use tideminders? They seem like a useful item.

On the subject of finding items in little used compartments, I found a spare prop under the floor in the aft cabin.

Bruce

About a year after buying our current boat I found an entire prop shaft under the floor boards in the engine room. Had it checked out, straight a an arrow. Nice. It looked like it hadn't been touched in decades.

About 5 boats ago I filled up 2.5 dumpsters full of crap off the boat. Probably 10 years of POs taxes and misc personal paperwork. And a drawer with at least 100 condoms…

Greetings,
Mr. 23. YOU, sir, are a fortunate individual! In preparation for putting our boat up for sale, I've reviewed all of my containers of bits and pieces I've "saved" over the last 18 years and there are quite a few of them. My dear wife thinks I should toss it all out to de-clutter the boat. Alas, she knows not of what she speaks IMHO.

For example: Those old stabilizer rams (X2) probably need rebuilding BUT if the currently installed ones ever start leaking, the new owner can take one of the stored units, have it rebuilt and do the change over at their leisure without taking the stabilizers out of service but for the short time it takes to change one out. They're stowed in an out of the way place and are not taking up valuable space.

I completed the conversion of the last of the lighting fixtures to LED strip and was missing a specific fastener. Yep, into the spare screw box and viola! 3 spares.

Mr. k. Serves you right. I expect the previous owner of your boat saved that "junk" for a reason. Woe unto the new owner of our boat if they consider anything I've put aside as "junk". There are 3 replacement studs that fit our stuffing boxes that were custom made for that location and I was advised by our previous owner that one end was metric and the other SAE threads and to NOT discard them. Wise advice.

I have one wrench that I altered to fit a specific location as there is no way to get any standard wrench into that spot. LOOKS like junk BUT it's the only tool that will do the job. New owner: Discard at your peril!

Pet peeve of mine that my wife seems to think that you can simply buy a new whatever to replace the junk you threw out. I've never complained about her owning 150+ pairs of shoes (Must be related to Imelda Marcos).

Sorry. Second rant today. Must be time to change my meds...

iu

Good laugh there. PO left me lots of goodies. I still find things as well. What gets me is buying items that I already have.

Comodave; said:
10 years of POs taxes and misc personal paperwork. And a drawer with at least 100 condoms…
Is it likely PO was regularly screwing the IRS?

One reason all the good stuff with specific purpose gets left without explanation is because some brokers keep buyer and seller apart. I guess it has risks but a direct handover,or at least a chat,could help. But it would eliminate the "joy of Christmas" surprise discoveries.

Found this under the under seating storage in galley. Vintage 1996 Middleton very rare. Quite the expensive bottle, which was a boon since the a/c unit just crapped out and found that while tracing wires. Made the cost of parts to repair not hurt so much. Drank the bottle once work was finished lol

Attachments

• B381A8DC-EECB-4D4D-B593-BB20AB5705B2.jpg
    B381A8DC-EECB-4D4D-B593-BB20AB5705B2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 25
Far worse are the PO's and brokers who remove everything from the boat. Maintenance records, spare parts, tools, etc.

Far worse are the PO's and brokers who remove everything from the boat. Maintenance records, spare parts, tools, etc.

Yeah, my trawler was stripped to provide parts for the PO's new boat. I did not even have a boat hook to start out with. There was supposedly a divorce involved, and we found a ladies upper-level undergarment far more commodious that the size of the woman selling us the boat. Hmmmm

There must be a lot of -- recreational activity -- on boats. For us, we're usually too busy cleaning and repairing and maintaining. Replacing the macerator pump doesn't exactly put you in a frisky mood.

I found so much stuff on our new boat that I’m having a hard time storing my own stuff. I did find some underwear and socks along with a thingamajig and a watchamacallit.

Thanks for reminding me. I found a nice bilge pump still in the box. Since I removed my generator, I now have an exhaust port that can be converted to a 1.5" bilge pump through hull. That makes 3 bilge pumps. Should be enough pumps to move on to other projects.

My best find was stainless steel opening port holes. With SS screens. Even had screws. New in box. I pulled out the old plastic ones and installed the new. They had the same screw pattern, so it was a one day project. Then, I decided to look up the price on the internet. Over $650 each. Merry Christmas to me.

There must be a lot of -- recreational activity -- on boats. For us, we're usually too busy cleaning and repairing and maintaining. Replacing the macerator pump doesn't exactly put you in a frisky mood.

Not talking.....

Found this under the under seating storage in galley. Vintage 1996 Middleton very rare. Quite the expensive bottle, which was a boon since the a/c unit just crapped out and found that while tracing wires. Made the cost of parts to repair not hurt so much. Drank the bottle once work was finished lol

Lucky find. I got a 1993 bottle of white wine that had turned to vinegar :D

... Woe unto the new owner of our boat if they consider anything I've put aside as "junk". ...I have one wrench that I altered to fit a specific location as there is no way to get any standard wrench into that spot. LOOKS like junk BUT it's the only tool that will do the job. New owner: Discard at your peril!.......

I'm fine with that - and appreciative of the PO setting the important stuff aside. The problem is, there are many 'mystery parts' left with no explanation.

I wish I found a new bilge pump, just spent $250 for a pump and a switch.

Have yet to dig deep though. But not looking forward. PO was a "real dick" according to his nephew who is now working on my boat.

Our boat was absolutely PACKED with stuff when we bought her. Previous owners said all that stuff was bought for THAT boat, and should STAY with that boat! No objections here. Plus he had a book with inventory sheets and locations for almost all of it.
10 years worth of fuel/water/hydraulic/water filters? Check
Two fresh water pumps wired in parallel? Check, extra water pump NIB in stores? Check
New belts? Check
Complete tool box PACKED with tools? Check
6, yes, SIX soldering guns . . . . Check
All maintenance records and receipts? Check
Corelle dishes? Check
Enough oil for 4 oil changes? Check
Complete set of rebuilt injectors? Check
Spare impellers galore? Check
4 Anchors? Check
lots, LOTS of almost new dock lines, all labeled as too length? Check
Spare wash down pump? Check

Oh, and although not included with the boat, we current use Tide Minders on our boat at our home marina, and love them!:thumb:

Guess it's a good thing when the previous owners are OCD-types ;-)

What about that oil? I thought you shouldn't use oil that's older than 2-3 years. Maybe that only applies to modern common-rail diesels?? I'd love to hear what others here think about ageing oil. My engine doesn't hardly use any oil, and it kills me to have to toss liters of back-up oil every few years.

What about that oil? I thought you shouldn't use oil that's older than 2-3 years. Maybe that only applies to modern common-rail diesels?? I'd love to hear what others here think about ageing oil. My engine doesn't hardly use any oil, and it kills me to have to toss liters of back-up oil every few years.

If the oil is still in sealed containers, still looks good when opened and nothing is separating out, I'd just give them a shake and use it. It should take more than 2 - 3 years to be an issue in sealed containers with even half decent storage conditions.

Where is the oil industry reference to oil ever aging out in the sealed container? Other discussions here have stated you cannot outlive unused oil in the sealed container. Enquiring minds.....

Barring seeing something in writing from a credible source stating that oil over 2-3 years old in original unopened containers shouldn't be used, I'll happily use it till it's gone! :D

I found a pretty large bag of weed on my current boat that the PO shoved waaaaaay back in one of the storage areas… we gave it to a friend who said it was still pretty good. And lots of other stuff, some of which was usable

The bigger the boat the more room for JUNK!

I remember when my Mother and Father sold their 48' boat the water line raised 6".

Where is the oil industry reference to oil ever aging out in the sealed container? Other discussions here have stated you cannot outlive unused oil in the sealed container. Enquiring minds.....

IIRC, it takes millions of years to make. Surely that factors into the shelf life.

IIRC, it takes millions of years to make. Surely that factors into the shelf life.

I don't think the concern is around the base oil degrading, but whether any of the additives may degrade or start to separate out and settle given enough time.

When I sold the largest boat I have owned to date, I told the buyer that there was a 8" polisher/sander somewhere on board. A very nice unit. Being memory challenges I couldn't find where I had stored it. Not an unusual happening in my life.

I now have developed an inventory kept on my laptop listing stuff and locations. Now where did I leave the laptop?

Back
Top Bottom