Electrical cords in the harbor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob

Vessel Name
Lady Anne
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen KK42
I’m a bit of a stickler about safety in and around boats. In the harbor where we currently reside there are a couple of boats that are moored near us that nearly always have there shore power cables draped into the water. These power cables have been in the water long enough to have plant growth on them. My feeling is that this is a very dangerous situation that needs to be resolved ASAP. What are the guidelines and or safety regulations for electrical cables in harbors? The harbor is very modern and all of the power pedestals are new and up to date with code. I’d like more facts than personal opinions about dealing with this situation!

If I can I just pull them out and onto dock.

I do the same...if its a repeat offender, I scribble a note on some masking tape and attach it to the power cord. (Above the water that is!):blush::blush:

If the cords are to spec, they are waterproof. But neither is a certainty. I'm also not aware of any broad scale regulation against cords dipped in the water, though there may be local regulations.

Regardless, I agree with you that it's a bad thing, and should be avoided.

I think your best bet may be the marina itself. If they have, or can establish a policy requiring that cords be secured so they stay out of the water, that might be the best way to make it happen. Offenders could be warned. Repeat offenders unplugged. And repeat, repeat offenders have their power shut off or be asked to leave.

Unless there is some pressing urgency, I don’t touch anyone’s boat or anything attached to it. I might kick aside a dock line or hose blocking the dock. Tell the marina. It’s their job and their responsibility. If they don’t care but you do, it’s time to find a new marina.

If the cords are to spec, they are waterproof. But neither is a certainty. I'm also not aware of any broad scale regulation against cords dipped in the water, though there may be local regulations.

Regardless, I agree with you that it's a bad thing, and should be avoided.

Agreed. If the cords are intact, it should be safe enough. But I personally don't like it. I generally won't fix it on someone else's boat without a good reason though. But in general, dock lines, power cords, etc. hanging in the water is just a sign of a sloppy boater that doesn't care and probably can't be bothered to learn much about boating.

:thumb::thumb:

but do not wrap the power cord around the pedestal. It might pull out the pedestal and make the entire marina dark.

Or you can tell the dock personnel

I wouldn't like it either, but keep in mind: a large percentage of the nation's AC wiring is underground, and almost all of it is in new construction. This is in conduit which is constantly flooded. Fresh water of course, but still flooded.

I've always wondered about this too. It seems to me that the insulation can be imperfect. Small cracks and chips can develop. Marine growth could further break it down.

This impacts me in two ways. The obvious electrical safety issue, and potential increase in electrolysis of my running gear.

I always put them back on the dock, assuming it was unintentional. Repeat offenders get an offhand mention that I did that for them, which usually leads to a discussion about why it's bad and the best ways to avoid it. I've sold a few dock mates on the idea of those yellow cable holders you can fasten along the dock. Next step would be marina management if it continued for a long time.

Maybe a fresh power cord from West Marine is safe in the ocean but what about
15-20 year old Home Depot cords that have hardened in the SoCal sun? Leakage, maybe?

After a few years of walking past the other boats on my dock, I got to 'know' which
ones would eventually show up and take care of dangling cords and which ones wouldn't.

I felt ok about rearranging their cords, sometimes even a minor adjustment to a
dockline that was in the drink as well. But if the same cord was in the water after
every week-end, say, for 4 or 5 years I might have unplugged one or two. :angel:
I had a steel hulled motorsailer at the time...

Back
Top Bottom