Dual-pressure inflators, any built-in options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wkearney99

Guru
Vessel Name
Solstice
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
We've got various inflatable items on the boat. A 5x8' 'floating dock' the kids use for swimming, an inflatable stand-up paddleboard, the dinghy and various fenders inflatable fenders (that use a Halkey/Roberts valve, not the needle valve hole kind).

As such I've had various portable 12v inflator pumps over the years. The latest being a Seamax unit. It's ok, but it's LOUD.

The nice part of most SUP (stand up paddleboard) pumps is their ability to set a cut-off pressure. That way the pump will run until it reaches the desired pressure and turn itself off.

Has anyone come across a dual-mode pump setup that can be more permanently installed? Yeah, the portable SUP pumps are relatively cheap, but so are their internal components.

I'm not talking about a regular air compressor. Those don't deliver the volume necessary for paddleboards and the like. Nor do they typically have a control panel that lets you set the cut-off pressure. Yes, they can be pressed into duty for this, but they're not ideal.

I just haven't come across a system designed for permanent install. Anyone seen such?

Haven't seen (or looked for) anything like that, but agree, those DC-powered inflators make molasses look fast.

FWIW, we have an AC-powered inflator, orange tube-like thing... inflates a RIB tub in about 10 seconds. We do tend to finish off with a foot pump to get just the right degree of rigid, though...

-Chris

A 120V canister vac .with the hose on blow works well with most inflatable items.

For most inflatable things we use our Buckethead with the hose on the outlet.

A 120V canister vac .with the hose on blow works well with most inflatable items.

Not when they require 15 psi (or more). For pool floats, sure. I have a Ryobi hand-held blower that's good for those. No hose at all, and shares the same battery as the vacuum and drill I keep on board. But paddleboards require considerably greater pressure.

I suppose you could start the job with a shop vac or other blower, but then you'd need to finish it with another pump. But I'm trying to cut down on the number of devices necessary to get the toys inflated. It would save me no time to have to dig out two different kinds of pumps AND hoses.

I'd love to find a panel mount or something that'd help simplify the process.

Back
Top Bottom