Dorian aims for East Coast of Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jeez I believed it was done but we are jus in the eye, sky is blue right over us, quite an impressive view.
In front of us wind and rain is picking up again on the island and coming at us.

L

IMG_1277.jpg

It can be really impressive when the back side of an eye comes back on to you. A few times I have had that happen it made the hair on my back stand up. Primordial response from the lizard brain..

Bye bye Dorian, please don’t come back soon lol

IMG_1278.jpg

L

Wifey B: Not only destructive storm, but craziest freaking storm ever. :eek:

:iagree:

I keep looking at the storm track and staring at the turn north it made as the track had it coming up my driveway. Well, 3 miles or so away but still.... unbelievable. Won't forget this one. I assume they will retire the name "Dorian".

Dorian's effect has 'touched' pretty much all of the east coast of North America.

The following has scary connotations.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE. September 7th 2019.

We have had over 70 vessels arrive in the marina today at Old Bahama Bay thanks to the efforts of our team here on the ground in the United States. Until civility and order can be achieved I am here by shutting down operations to OBB Marina. Old Bahama Bay is a privately owned marina and if need be we will turn vessels away. We feel this is the most humane way to continue our operations as we do not want our volunteers staff or country men in the Bahamas, to encounter any accidental harm. Please do not arrive at Old Bahama Bay until further notice thank you.

John MacDonald, President
Old Bahama Bay Resort and Yacht Harbour.

The restaurant in OBB made it through pretty well.

We ate there last year on the way back from Exuma, his wife is a lovely lady.

Our food was a bit tardy so she came over and asked if we hadn't received it yet.

I said, "not yet, but it's the Bahamas Mon!"

Her reply "Not here it isn't, I'll be right back."

The food appeared in a hurry. We had a nice chat with her after eating.

https://www.facebook.com/patrick.pierre.169/videos/10156149144106504/

A fly over of Treasure Cay.

Why does he say a banks crossing now would be inconceivable? Because the water is so stirred up?

I suspect because the bathymetry is unknown.

Like the hurricane altered the floor contour/depths?

Like the hurricane altered the floor contour/depths?

I’d say so. Not to mention all the stuff that must be floating on top or semi-submerged. I wouldn’t want to put my prop anywhere in that soup for a while.

It’s unbelievable the amount of supplies being gathered to send over. Yesterday I delivered some tools to a local church. Their parking lot was full of bottled water, tarps and tons of other stuff. I know of two sportfishing groups collecting supplies. Literally tons of supplies. There must be hundreds of groups collecting supplies. A large yacht left today carrying supplies and volunteers.

I’ve never seen anything like this.

Dan, welcome to the group.
As a forester, I worked a winter near Woods Buffalo National Park.
I left in April LOL
Hmmm, how do you get your boat from Alberta to the ocean. LOL

Dan, welcome to the group.

As a forester, I worked a winter near Woods Buffalo National Park.

I left in April LOL

Hmmm, how do you get your boat from Alberta to the ocean. LOL

I’m boatless at this time. I have family in Fort Lauderdale. We used to own a boat in Bahamas and always loved spending time there. We sold if over a year ago. Life changed for me but my passion for boats remains. Reading posts in this forum is one of my enjoyments :)

Tip of the iceberg may be all we are seeing so far.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ian-death-toll-latest-official-figure-44.html

Bahamian government denies it is suppressing Dorian death toll as latest official figures show just 44 - despite residents reporting seeing hundreds of bodies and that the 'stench of death' is oppressive

'The language I have used and the language that the prime minister has used and all of the cabinet, and (the National Emergency Management Agency), has been a description of the number of confirmed deaths - these are people in the morgue.'

18244814-7442915-image-a-2_1568022558279.jpg

I've been sadly thinking the death toll was going to be huge. Just look at Mississippi's Katrina death toll, and then realize that from my observations of Katrina, and what I've seen of Dorian, that Dorian was a lot worse; something I wasn't even sure was possible two weeks ago.

My son sent me an email the other day regarding a status unknown database and that there were over 5662 missing in Abaco and Grand Bahama alone.

I just Googled now many were killed by Katrina - 1833.

So unfortunately I believe you may be right about Dorian.

They are starting to ask for tire repair kits and Fix a Flat air cans. As vehicles are moving around they are picking up nails. I remember after Andrew I always carried tire repair kits. Had to use it several times.

Supplies are going in and people are coming out. Delta flew two flights of people from Treasure to Nassau. A cruise liner took a load of people out as well.

They are starting to ask for tire repair kits and Fix a Flat air cans. As vehicles are moving around they are picking up nails. I remember after Andrew I always carried tire repair kits. Had to use it several times.

There was a guy in a green Tahoe after Katrina that was fixing flats in my town for $10 a pop, and you often had to wait in line for him to fix your tire. I used him often and I often wondered what his final take was. Three months after Katrina happened, I had a slow leak and went into the tire store, and was informed I had twenty something nails in my tires. :eek:

I posted a few pages ago that those donating money and whose company matches, should look to see if they can find a good org in the US so that the match can be made (as many companies will only match US orgs for tax reasons.). I also wanted my company's match to go to the Dorian cause and not into general funds (which is what happens with the ARC - your funds go as directed but company match go into their general fund).

I checked with my company and they will not match giving to the Bahamian Red Cross for that reason. But she did give me a lead to a Bahamain support org based in the US which led me to the following organization

https://www.nabmiami.org/#

They have been in existence since 1993, and their goal is funding scholarships for Bahamians to study in the US. so they were not just set up for this storm. However they work in conjunction with the Bahamian Consulate in Miami and are the first organization recommended on the Consulate's web site for Dorian contributions. they state:

Additionally, 100% of all donations received by NAB Miami will be used for the Hurricane Dorian relief purposes. Our charitable efforts for this devastating hurricane is in conjunction of the Bahamas Consulate General’s Miami Office, The Government of The Bahamas.

Worth looking at if you are trying to get a match. My company will match here.

Last edited:
My son sent me an email the other day regarding a status unknown database and that there were over 5662 missing in Abaco and Grand Bahama alone.

I just Googled now many were killed by Katrina - 1833.

Unfortunately we might not ever be told the true numbers. I remember when Andrew hit us down in Homestead. The official death toll was like one or two dozen. However my friend (who was called up in the National Guard) told me that they were stacking up bodies in refrigerated warehouses. All the agriculture migrant workers. They had no place to take shelter.

Unfortunately we might not ever be told the true numbers. I remember when Andrew hit us down in Homestead. The official death toll was like one or two dozen. However my friend (who was called up in the National Guard) told me that they were stacking up bodies in refrigerated warehouses. All the agriculture migrant workers. They had no place to take shelter.

I think all of the Bahamian dead will eventually be accounted for - the Haitians in the shanty towns, not so sure.

Very sad indeed.

Back
Top Bottom