Does such a thing exist?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianG

I have a boat where nothing is plumb, symetrical or 90 degrees. She's all curves. Is there something like clay or clay-like that can be shaped and set off to harden but with out adhesive traits? So you would put it into a corner or odd shaped space in the hull and it'd could be pressed into a shape and harden so you'd have a viable way to fill a void and be able to use it as a spacer to give you a clean bite if for example you wanted to bolt something to the hull? You can do such things, sort of, with epoxy, but epoxy fuses to the wood typically and essentially becomes part of the boat.

Coat the wood with wax. You can buy mold release wax from fiberglass vendors.
But a block of epoxy is brittle.

You want something that you can bolt to but is easily removeable?

Bondo with 2 layers of wax or aluminum foil, will harden in a few min , but not strong enough to drill & tap.

I have a boat where nothing is plumb, symetrical or 90 degrees.

Hey, so do I! (Says everyone who ever did a project on a boat) :rofl:

I'm not totally clear on what you have in mind, but as mentioned above, you can use epoxy and not have it stick. I often use thickened epoxy to fit something to an irregular surface. Sometimes I want it to adhere but sometimes I don't. Wax works, or if the substrate is appropriate, I've had good luck with clear packing tape, or plastic wrap. Do thicken it if you want it to not be super brittle. Something like colloidal silica works well.

The first time I saw something like this done was years ago at a boatyard putting new keel bolts in a fin keeler. The original fit of the keel base to the hull left a lot to be desired. IIRC they used something like plastic wrap on the hull. Then buttered up the top of the keel with thickened epoxy and ran it home. After it cured they separated the two parts again, but now had a perfect match. Then later the much-better-fitting keel was bedded with some type of caulk (removable in future if necessary).

Another useful thing is a tick stick pattern. (again I'm not totally clear on what you are doing so this may not be meaningful, but it can be great for cutting boards or plywood to fit an odd shaped surface.)

I have a boat where nothing is plumb, symetrical or 90 degrees. She's all curves. Is there something like clay or clay-like that can be shaped and set off to harden but with out adhesive traits? So you would put it into a corner or odd shaped space in the hull and it'd could be pressed into a shape and harden so you'd have a viable way to fill a void and be able to use it as a spacer to give you a clean bite if for example you wanted to bolt something to the hull? You can do such things, sort of, with epoxy, but epoxy fuses to the wood typically and essentially becomes part of the boat.

From your thread Please give me a digital survey! post #12 your boat looks to be all wood, a strip planked hull. It seems a shame to stuff some sort of thickened putty behind things to fill a gap. Maybe it's time to learn an old boat building technique? Spiling. Here's a good place to start to get a handle on spiling. Spiling and it's application. There are so many variations and ways to apply the technique as your skill with it builds.

The key to understanding the process is to know if you are "following the curve" or "keeping a level line" (My terms not the author's terms). Once you understand the author's paragraph Spiling a curve using a compass (the common mistake) you have basic understanding you need.

You can make cleats, blocks of wood, that will attach to the hull and the thing you are mounting will then attach to. Just be sure you don't drill completely through the hull when mounting the cleat.

If you don't want to put in the time and effort to build the spiling skill, and that's completely understandable, you have other options.

If it's a small enough object being mounted you might use a tool I've seen in hardware stores. It's plastic handle with a bunch of 'needles' that slide in and out. Press the needles against the curved place, then trace on the stock. Seems easy though I've never used one. Amazon has this one RAK Contour Gauge Shape Duplicator.

For longer curves google "Wood worker curve template" and you'll get all sorts of interesting things like this WoodRiver - Curve Template 107".

You'll need some basic wood working tools and a place to work. A small band saw, can be had inexpensively on Craigslist and such. A low angle block plane, a stone to keep the plane's iron sharp, a bevel gauge, sand paper and sanding block. You most likely already have a drill motor and bits, some chisels and a hand saw.

The skills build and tools you acquire will enable you to better care for a beautiful wood boat such as yours.

What about Marine-Tex?

Just put a layer of blue painters tape down and make a dam out of whatever is available, tongue depressors, strips of cardboard, clay. The mix up epoxy and micro balloons and you can add some milled glass fibers if you want. The consistency you are looking for is like heavy syrup. Pour and allow to set up, then pull it off and trim, then coat with gelcoat. Easy peasy.
The mounting block on the right MFD in this pic was made in this way. Bit hard to see in this image but you get the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0377.jpg
    IMG_0377.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 25
I completely missed that your boat is wood. I like Portage Bay's ideas for a wooden boat. (When you have a fiberglass boat, you might as well use epoxy.)

I agree w Shrew ... Marine Tex.

Or perhaps JBweld

if your just copying what you have just use cardboard to make a pattern and transfer to wood?

Or use the scribe method to transfer to wood? Its like Spiling but for odd ball shapes around irregular items be it wood/stone/botched wood working.
https://home-building.wonderhowto.com/how-to/fit-materials-irregular-surfaces-with-scribe-209877/

Or if you really want to use epoxy just use some painters tape and plastic/aluminum foil.

I will caution you on using saran wrap, as some two part epoxy's will just melt it.

If your just trying to get a profile or to make something use liquid latex and make a mold.

Take a look at Quick Fair fairing putty. This two part stuff is easy to use and extremely strong. It won’t stick to cellophane so you can line the area with Saran Wrap.

Back
Top Bottom