Does anyone actually use a bathtub on their boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38'
Looking around in Yachtworld today and got to wondering about boat bathtubs. Does anyone actually use them? Seem like a good spot to dry out your foul weather gear, but not so much for bathing.

The aft head on my boat has a tub. It's only about 3.5 or 4 feet long, so it's useless as a tub. But it does make a more generously proportioned shower than the tiny one in the forward head. So it gets used for showering while the forward shower provides a spot to keep the trash can out of the way.

We had a full tub with water jets when we first got the boat. From before signing I new it had to go. We never used it and I doubt the hot water system could have filled it. This year we took it out and put a full walk in shower. Very pleased with the change. We now have a 32” x 60” shower that has opened up the master head, and really is a pleasure to use .

The only time I have ever used a bathtub on a boat was a charter boat in the BVI's to dry out and store my dive gear.

No, we had one in a previous boat and had it cut out and glassed into a shower.

When our daughter was little she loved the small bathtub, now we just use it as a great shower stall..........:thumb:

When our daughter was little she loved the small bathtub, now we just use it as a great shower stall..........:thumb:

That is what we did but my wife was always bruising her shins trying to get in and out over the side. Better just not to have a tub.

No, maybe if you had a smaal child

We never used the tub on our Selene but it sure made a good storage space for crates of beer and wine when we ventured to the Bahamas. Apart from the excessive volume of water I figured the water would slop everywhere unless on a millpond. A total waste of spec in my opinion.

Used a tub on the QE2 in a second (mid-class) cabin, which also had a walk-in closet. Neither are practical on small vessels such as ours.

when I was boat shopping I saw one with a tub and thought what a good place to bath the dog if need be.
Or hang wet gear, wait wet gear, that was sailboat days. So, no no need for short tub.

We have a maybe 2' x 4' tub in the aft head. It has a built in seat, and we find it works great for bathing and also washing sand off while seated, particularly in a roll-y anchorage. I can't imagine ever filling it with water. I do navy showers. My wife and three girls... are still in training on that front. Still though, being able to sit down while you peel off a wetsuit and rinse the sand off is really quite nice compared to trying to do it in a tiny shower stall.

Where does the sand go?
We have a maybe 2' x 4' tub in the aft head. It has a built in seat, and we find it works great for bathing and also washing sand off while seated, particularly in a roll-y anchorage. I can't imagine ever filling it with water. I do navy showers. My wife and three girls... are still in training on that front. Still though, being able to sit down while you peel off a wetsuit and rinse the sand off is really quite nice compared to trying to do it in a tiny shower stall.

Where does the sand go?

If the tub drains to a shower sump, I'd expect that would lead to periodic cleaning of the sump to remove sand buildup. But if it feeds through something like a Whale Gulper or other diaphragm pump that doesn't need a filter, the sand should just get harmlessly pumped overboard.

If the tub drains to a shower sump, I'd expect that would lead to periodic cleaning of the sump to remove sand buildup. But if it feeds through something like a Whale Gulper or other diaphragm pump that doesn't need a filter, the sand should just get harmlessly pumped overboard.

"But if it feeds through something like a Whale Gulper or other diaphragm pump that doesn't need a filter,"
Exactly - our tub had a whale gulper and was used for kids, pets, and when we had things like dive gear on or for cleaning other gear. At the very least the tub and tub surround helped to keep the head area very dry and clean.

Not our in the first shot....just the idea

6'x2'x2' (cost $125) We'll be test fitting this weekend on the upper deck. No need for a wood fired snorkel stove as shown in the other shot. We have hydronic hot water heat throughout the boat.

Screen Shot 2020-12-07 at 11.59.53 AM.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

"But if it feeds through something like a Whale Gulper or other diaphragm pump that doesn't need a filter,"
Exactly - our tub had a whale gulper and was used for kids, pets, and when we had things like dive gear on or for cleaning other gear. At the very least the tub and tub surround helped to keep the head area very dry and clean.

Yup - whale gulper pumps it all overboard. Very satisfying to see the sand go down the drain!

1. The one boat we had with a mini-tub as discussed was great when our kids were still babies :thumb:
2. Yes, it makes a great place to dry out rain gear, more room than a shower stall ;)

Not our in the first shot....just the idea

6'x2'x2' (cost $125) We'll be test fitting this weekend on the upper deck. No need for a wood fired snorkel stove as shown in the other shot. We have hydronic hot water heat throughout the boat.

View attachment 111102

View attachment 111103

More personality with the wood fired unit. But then you have to find a place to stow the wood :confused:

When we lived in the UP and were discussing plans for a backyard sauna, there was often horror on friend's faces when electric heaters were discussed. Sacrilege in the Finnish mind :lol:

Last edited:
We love our tub. The aft head has a cast iron tub (about 4.5' long - we joke they built the boat around it) that my wife will occasionally soak in. Though she can only either soak her legs and abdomen or her upper body with legs folded, when she needs the wet heat it is very welcome. And our 10-yr old daughter still prefers baths over showers. As others have mentioned, the tub makes for a nice, large shower, too.

We have an Isotemp 13-gallon hot water heater that we keep at @160-degrees. Mixing with cold it will definitely fill the tub with hot water.

Wifey B: I feel the arrows coming my way before even saying this. :rofl:

'Twas a new build 85' and standard layout in master bath was a nice oval jacuzzi tub in the corner with a more than adequate shower beside it. Boat also has a hot tub on flybridge. I like baths. I like jacuzzi tubs. However, considering hubby and I always shower together, I thought how nice it would be to have a shower twice as large instead, so no tub. :D

And while at it, I must issue a jacuzzi and hot tub warning. If you're not incredibly diligent, they are perfect breeding grounds for bacteria and harbingers for serious future lung disease. Please, please, if you have one, read all the warnings and solutions available online. It's a lot of work, but the only way. Cleaning it isn't enough. You must sterilize it. :ermm:

More personality with the wood fired unit. But then you have to find a place to stow the wood :confused:

When we lived in the UP and were discussing plans for a backyard sauna, there was often horror on friend's faces when electric heaters were discussed. Sacrilege in the Finnish mind :lol:

A diesel fired hot water system works for me, as much as I like wood fire...:)

I LOVE my tub. It's small, but works. I can soak the bulk of my bod in there and certainly take off the chill when we have those cold damp days. Not perfect because it's small, but works. Also, makes for a spacious shower where I can get me and the wife in there together, and occasionally my GF.

As for a jacuzzi, wouldn't be without at my dirt home..... seems like I've had one forever. Use it once or twice a day. Don't use any additives or stinky stuff. When it gets dirty, I just replace the water, pressure wash it out and refill. Will use a bit of cleaner if needed. Do that at least once a year.:)

Right before I clean it, I might do a bubble bath.

Attachments

• JacuzziBubbleW.jpg
    JacuzziBubbleW.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 10
I won’t use one on flat earth (can’t see bathing in my own filth) so I certainly don’t want one on my boat.

YMMV

We have a very large tub. No water supply or drainage issues. However one must lower the swim platform and put down the ladder in order to get into it...

Scott. That is the best tub. ��

Ive known guys had them , and used them, especially their women. But then again only while in ports where its like a mill pond.

In my Nordhavn 55 we had a large tub in the full beam master cabin and head. It looked great. It NEVER got used. Not once. I don't think Nordhavn puts many in these days. Don't really know.

Back
Top Bottom