Dock Line storage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Choices

Guru
Vessel Name
Choices
Vessel Make
36 Grand Banks Europa
I have been perusing looper videos at the suggestion of my friends.

On most of these, the videos are of a ship shape vessel with smiling husband and wife demonstrating boat handling techniques with amazing gadgetry.

But what I question is most of them have their docklines tied to the bow railing for storage.

Coming from the offshore world, this is a big no-no. Why put something where if it comes lose you could run over it? I have seen it happen many times. You want to see all hell break lose watch a dockline being spooled up by the prop tear the railing off the boat.

Long ago before YouTube, I was taught if you leave a line at the bow, make sure it can not go overboard. If you have a high solid gunale, GB style, tie them off down low, but why not just bring them back to the lazarette?

I know there is little risk of stuffing a wave on the loop. But most of these folks couldn't cut a line away from a prop if it was in a bathtub.

We store our lines behind the ladder. If they come undone they fall on the deck behind the ladder.

What do you do and why?

When cruising somewhere like the Erie Canal where we're docking frequently and in protected water, we'll often leave lines on the cleats and tie them to the rails. The rest of the time, they get coiled and brought onto the helm deck (on the aft cabin). If they're going to be used again within a day or so (or if they're wet) they'll be placed out of the way, typically on the dash forward of the helm. Otherwise, they're wrapped up and stowed in the storage space under one of the seats.

Picture below is for a layout perspective on the boat. The aft-most seat is the one where the lines get stowed typically.

Attachments

• dji_export_1656983648691.jpg
    dji_export_1656983648691.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 64
None of my dock lines can reach the prop as if they are tied to the rail one end is still on the cleat. The aft lines are inside the cockpit and would fall to the floor.
Unsecured spare lines have a locker.

I tend to coil with a pass through so that the coil won't come undone, and store them in a pile forward of the truck cabin and in the stern against the bulkhead. As I put the loop on the piling or dock cleat, it makes no sense to leave them tied to the boat cleats.

If you set them out each time you dock, there are no erroneous assumptions about what line is where from the last docking.

Ted

Good point Ted.

I have all my lines the same length the same color. Longer lines, spring lines, are slightly different.

That way I can tell her what color goes where, if we change things up.

When racing sailboats this came in very handy with new crew.

Good point Ted.

I have all my lines the same length the same color. Longer lines, spring lines, are slightly different.

That way I can tell her what color goes where, if we change things up.

When racing sailboats this came in very handy with new crew.

If they're all the same length, how can you have longer ones? :rolleyes:

I color the bitter end of my lines to designate position.

Red is bow.
White is spring.
Blue is stern. Needed something I could remember quickly.

Ted

We have many dock lines 4 of which are spring lines. We put colored shrink wrap on the lines with different colors for each length. We have 12 hooks in a storage locker in the cockpit. We coil the lines and then a wrap with the bitter end going through the middle to secure the coils. Easy to coil up and easy to undo the coil.

I like to keep decks and railings clear of fenders and lines especially with guests aboard. Not always easy on a small boat.

With closing stages of my refit, I've spent the last week leaving my slip at 0730 to be at yard at 0800, and returning late afternoon. Dockage at the yard is either rafted against an old fishing boat or centered in the travel lift well if no boats are to be hauled. As I've been singlehanding, I do stow lines on my rails. Takes me about 10 mins to set lines and fenders while I hold station before docking. I do not pull fenders on the 1-mile transit, but I do pull lines as I have docklines set at the slip and I don't want to lay lines over the other. I favor long lines. I also favor long fender whips. For some reason, I've always seemed to dock in new places - having set locations for fenders or short docklines would be a problem. Tying to piles is a lot different than tying to floating docks (I have much more experience with the latter).

My sense is few boaters know how to properly coil a line. You'd think sailors would be be better and perhaps they are, but far from good. I learned in the Boy Scouts. Walking the docks tells me a simple cleat hitch or a Flemish coil seems to be elusive too. I see proper selection and use of lines as an important safety item - not being able to cast off quickly and predictably can put you in trouble quickly.

Peter

Some dockmasters at fancier docks will undo Flemish coils due to they hold moisture under the coil more so than a neat pile of line. They fear it will accelerate rot on their purdy docks.

I stopped using Flemish coils when I stopped being a "yachtie" but agree that many can't tie a proper cleat hitch. :popcorn:

Last edited:
We are not loopers but have traveled NY and Canadian canals, including the Rideau, Richelieu, and TSW many times and confirm we almost always have lines at key points we used when locking. Locks can occur sometimes within minutes to an hour apart.
We typically have fenders positioned at key locations with adjusters. We will either raise them between locks or store them inside the rail (temporarily) or horizontal under the rail ( for longer periods).
When locking we sometimes rig both sides where we know tie ups will change sides or to be prepared for a busy lock and need to go to the opposite side for more room.
I have encountered locks where long lines were required at both bow and stern and had to do some quick changes to accommodate the tie ups presented.

Some dockmasters at fancier docks will undo Flemish coils due to they hold moisture under the coil more so than a neat pile of line. They fear it will accelerate rot on their purdy docks.

I stopped using Flemish coils when I stopped being a "yachtie" but agree that many can't tie a proper cleat hitch. :popcorn:
I'm open to a neat way to stow lines on a dock. Frankly, Flemish coils are a PITA, especially on wood docks where splinters grab the line. Because I like long docklines, I tend to have a lot to make tidy. As long as it's easy to undo, I'm good.

Suggestions? Pictures?

Thanks in advance

Peter

I keep the long ends on the boat when I can.

The spliced eye goes on the boat cleat out to the dock cleat with just a simple whatever depending on length of stay and weather and then the bitter end comes back to an appropriate cleat on the boat.

...otherwise for overnight to a week a pile on the dock is line is short or sort of a figure eight if real long.

The pile is aways away from the cleat not to interfere with line removal if necessary and needs to be done quickly.

I tend to avoid "routine" anything as it may distract me from what I really need or should do. Unfortunately that is the technique of experience and not for those still learning (not directed at anyone in particular).

The pic is of a lousy cleat hitch but how a short length of line left on the dock is "good enough for me".....

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
Several years ago, we tied ours to the bow rails and they would fall down on the deck if they came loose. On our 58 Hat we have deck boxes on the bow for storage.

I typically just make a plain coil next to the clear with the extra line. Depending on the situation I'll sometimes swap a line for a shorter one after arrival to reduce excess (such as if we had an unknown cleat layout and assumed the worst).

Length wise, we carry 25, 35, and 50 foot lines. Typically we'll set 25 bow and stern, 35 for the first spring on an unknown dock. If there's reason to suspect poor cleat placement that may become 35 and 50.

I also tend to tie with the lines stretched as long as practical, so it's not uncommon for me to suck up the whole length of a 25 or even 35 footer leaving just a minimal tail by the cleat. And always a proper cleat hitch of course.

I'm open to a neat way to stow lines on a dock. Frankly, Flemish coils are a PITA, especially on wood docks where splinters grab the line. Because I like long docklines, I tend to have a lot to make tidy. As long as it's easy to undo, I'm good.

Suggestions? Pictures?

Thanks in advance

Peter

On our local docks in the great PNW a flemish coil is an invitation to an otter to sleep, then vomit or poop on it. They will not do so with a loose jumble of hanked line so that is what I do unless the loose line is sufficiently long to cleat it back to the boat's rail (loosely enough that the boat cannot put a load on it).
~A

Last edited:
On our local docks in the great PNW a flemish coil is an invitation to an otter to sleep, then vomit or poop on it. They will not do so with a loose jumble of hanked line so that is what I do unless the loose line is sufficiently long to cleat it back to the boat's rail (loosely enough that the boat cannot put a load on it).
~A

True about otters in NJ as well.... :facepalm:

I don’t flemish lines, besides being a time consuming thing, I agree that it can help the line stay wet longer. I coil the excess loosely and lay it next to the cleat. As long as the line isn’t laid out across the dock creating a trip hazard looking pretty comes in second to function.

repurposed a dock step for my dock lines.
holds about 15 lines from 15 t0 40 feet and one lizard that
comes and goes thru the vent holes on the bottom

Attachments

• 20230215_082026_resized.jpg
    20230215_082026_resized.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230215_082055_resized.jpg
    20230215_082055_resized.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 30
Flemish coils- I don’t use them on the boat but do on the dock. I never used to until I read a couple good reasons several years ago on- of all places- a Trawlerforum thread. 1) less likely to trip over than a pile of line on the dock and, 2) easier to roll a dock cart over. If the lines are clearly out of the path I don’t always bother but otherwise find the coil useful.

Normally where I dock (NJ to FL), the cleats are close enough to the edge of the dock with line piled up next to them takes up less room than a largish Flemish coil and are well out of the way of dock carts.

If my piles were a trip or cart hazard I would still find a preferred way over Flemish coils.

At places with large cleats... I would just coil the extra line and drop it over the cleat.

We have been hanging/coiling our dock lines (same method as in the video below) on the rails for 10 years without incident. The key is to make the loops long enough so you have plenty of line to pull through and hang properly. Of course, I would not do so off-shore.

When tied up in our slip, we have learned to bring the excess end of dock lines back up to the boat. Otherwise the otters will do their best to mess on them. Even so, we have seen otter poop on just the cleat hitch!

https://youtu.be/LNav2agjHrA

In Port Townsend (WA), a Flemish coil always announced a boater who was from somewhere else. In the night, on the docks there, the otters see that coil on the dock as a toilet set up just for them. No local would provide that luxury, and soon a visitor wouldn’t either.

~A

Ha. True that. A neat, flemished dock line is the best way to collect otter scat here in Beaufort, SC too

Dock lines

The real answer is whatever makes you feel safer!

We tie our lines either coiled and tied to the handrails with a clove hitch and the coil hanging on the gunnel or to the samson posts for bow lines.

We've been on the Loop for 8yrs and have never had a dock line (knocking on wood & my head) get tangled in a prop.

We did get our anchor buoy line tangled in the prop because the mate thought we could leave that in the water when we moved to re-anchor. That has a strap that is really heavy duty and required me going below with a box cutter to remove the strap from the prop.

The boats configuration will often dictate how dock lines are handled and how often you will be using them.

Have fun.

I have been perusing looper videos at the suggestion of my friends.

On most of these, the videos are of a ship shape vessel with smiling husband and wife demonstrating boat handling techniques with amazing gadgetry.

But what I question is most of them have their docklines tied to the bow railing for storage.

Coming from the offshore world, this is a big no-no. Why put something where if it comes lose you could run over it? I have seen it happen many times. You want to see all hell break lose watch a dockline being spooled up by the prop tear the railing off the boat.

Long ago before YouTube, I was taught if you leave a line at the bow, make sure it can not go overboard. If you have a high solid gunale, GB style, tie them off down low, but why not just bring them back to the lazarette?

I know there is little risk of stuffing a wave on the loop. But most of these folks couldn't cut a line away from a prop if it was in a bathtub.

We store our lines behind the ladder. If they come undone they fall on the deck behind the ladder.

What do you do and why?
I never saw it as a problem… but maybe folks are securing them to rails differently than I do. I’ve never had one come loose, even in rough and windy sea conditions. Properly coiled and secured… is secure on my boat. They’re not “falling off”. I could maybe see if one wasn’t going to need them for multiple days or extended passages off shore. But I’ve seen folks pull off and coil all 6 dock lines, only to return to dock a couple hours later and have to pull them out of a locker, separate them, decide what goes where, then reattach to boat. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom