Diesel news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eli27

Anybody know whats up with diesel? Serious question. My brother just told me and i looked up are supply is so low they thinking we are going to run out in a few weeks.

I didnt take this seriously until i looked it up. Something weird is going on.

Eli

I’d give my opinion, but we’re not supposed to be polical!

Your reserves are for about 5 weeks. If all production were to stop then it would run out in 5 weeks

This, from the Reuters news service on October 14:

"The global petroleum and refining system has proved unable to keep up with rapid growth in fuel consumption as a result of the manufacturing and freight-led recovery after the coronavirus pandemic. The immediate bottleneck is the lack of enough distillation and catalytic cracking capacity to make middle distillates from crude. The world’s two largest refinery systems are both producing less distillate fuel than before the pandemic erupted. U.S. refinery closures brought on by the pandemic, equipment failures and the planned shift to electric vehicles have left insufficient capacity to meet both domestic and rising export demand."

For more, see: https://www.reuters.com/markets/asia/diesels-gloomy-message-global-economy-kemp-2022-10-14/

Sigh. I have loved everything about diesel engines since I was a kid. But three years ago, when buying my current SUV, I realized that it will be my last diesel, and the car that carries me to my electric future.

Your invention enjoyed an impressively long run, Rudolf!

This time of the year is always on the short end for diesel. You are heading into the winter home heating oil market and the Christmas shipping market. Refineries push the envelope on diesel and gas is a bit cheaper. Come spring, especially if we don't have a bad winter, the opposite is true. We are heading into the summer travel and recreation season and home heating oil is not there. Diesel comes down.
I used to think I knew what was going on by keeping up with the news. I started after the oil embargo, but I no longer trust the news or the idiots who research it so, I do not know or really try to predict what is going on.
I will say this. My wife is on a cruise in the Carribean, currently in Barbados and I have been clicking on a few oil tankers in Marine Tracking out of curiosity and found at least two huge oil tankers heading from the US to China. I will not speculate

Don't panic. Take a drive to a mine site, road job, corn farm or truck stop where real transportation work is done. Some say that Diesel engines will be around for a very long time as they move the heavy loads associated with all aspects of the industrialized world.

It is one thing to jump in an EV to go to work. It is another to arrive at work, unload the semis, pilot your open ocean diesel powered ship carrying EVs, windmills or LFPs for unloading onto semis at the next continent.

The new F150 Lightning is a good (pricey too) way to get around town to get baling twine or beer while the 10 year old F250 Powerstroke sits 20 miles away waiting for dawn to dusk work hauling one's large 5th wheel carrying hay bales, horse feed or the Kubota.

If only the Russian tanks were EV powered as they blow up power grids. :facepalm::facepalm:

Your reserves are for about 5 weeks. If all production were to stop then it would run out in 5 weeks

Exactly. At this point the reserves are low, but it's not time to panic yet. Just something to keep an eye on and see if the situation starts to look more concerning.

My tanks are full , so who cares?

As in :"What are you going to do about it"?

pete

I get the joke Mobcat. But seriously, electric cars or electric boats, the myth is the same.

People think batteries make electricity. They only store it. It is mostly generated by burning something, usually coal

pete

Thank goodness you avoided the political.

Exactly Pete all your doing is moving the exhaust pipe to the power station , and the loss of energy in displacing the Exhaust and distance of transmission is extreme in energy loss, let alone storage loss of same.

Exactly Pete all your doing is moving the exhaust pipe to the power station , and the loss of energy in displacing the Exhaust and distance of transmission is extreme in energy loss, let alone storage loss of same.

Large scale generation is more efficient though. And it also means you can improve or swap out the power sources without affecting the end user devices. Electric power isn't a magic fix it button for all problems though and doesn't currently work for every situation.

The report said demand is up. In a normal economy investments would be made to increase production. However, increasing refinery capacity takes a lot of capital. Capital markets cannot justify investing in fossil fuel projects unless they are based on short term returns, like say 30% return per year for 5 years. Long term fossil fuel investments are being passed up because of the promised carbon free future. Problematically, investment in green energy is also way off the pace, because nobody can figure out how to make money offering a far more expensive product than the fossil fuels. It’s a real catch 22. Projects like refinery additions and large scale green energy take years, or tens of years to plan, finance and implement. Today’s investment patterns may have already guaranteed a global energy crisis in 2035. The silver lining is that the widespread economic collapse will result in decreased CO2 emissions.

The BTU,s in one litre of diesel is hard to replicate or model on in ease of distribution , storage and safety standard ….. Nuclear is the only alternative to coal and diesel and the sooner the greenies get there head around it the better of the world will be, could you imagine the amazing possibilities of a trawler that could be built to be fuelled once in its potential life time, the energy saved in distribution alone is insurmountable to comprehend, let alone the way it would open up a whole new world to individuals cruising the world in there own little slice of a floating utopia removed from energy dependence, it’s actually quite hard to comprehend but entirely feasible if scaled.

And currently diesel is $2:65 a litre Au dockside in Brisbane Australia…… Justify that in 2022 !!!

My tanks are full , so who cares?

As in :"What are you going to do about it"?

pete

The Feds are busy draining naval reserves. Maybe next they will come drain the fuel from your recreational boat, for the greater good. LOL

Remember this is the season for the change over to winter grade fuel.

And currently diesel is $2:65 a litre Au dockside in Brisbane Australia…… Justify that in 2022 !!!

$2.51 at PH -3c for over 500

$2.50 RQ -10c for members

Glad I topped up the 7000 litre tankage @ $2.03
Fuel savings paid for Starlink (-;

Last edited:
Gateway marina is the biggest blatant rip off for Diesel and yard services, I did exact same thing the other day I went to Gateway to get diesel and seen the pump price of diesel my eyes nearly popped out of my head so I topped off my tender with 80lt of unleaded and proceeded to RQ and bunkered 8000 litres for ur trip to FijI ….. And gateway marina wonder why they can’t afford to keep the fuel dock maintained, because nobody in Brisbane and surrounds use it unless they absolutely have to, it’s turned into a opening conversation joke amongst captains around Brisbane now the yard prices and fuel dock prices of Gateway marina.

I also noticed a change over the last couple years to the price of premium gas. It's now roughly $1 more than regular gas when it used to be about $0.30-0.40. Something going on with refining capacities for higher grade fuels or something?

I also noticed a change over the last couple years to the price of premium gas. It's now roughly $1 more than regular gas when it used to be about $0.30-0.40. Something going on with refining capacities for higher grade fuels or something?

I've noticed the same, price spread between grades has grown. Some of that is logically proportional with higher prices, but I don't know what accounts for the rest.

I've noticed the same, price spread between grades has grown. Some of that is logically proportional with higher prices, but I don't know what accounts for the rest.

Correct, used to be about 10%, now about 25%. I usually don't beat up on the oil companies, but I have to wonder if they are just charging what they can get away with.

The markets have a way of punishing dreamers. Too many people think that Moore's law applies to battery technology. I build E bikes and you would not believe the amount of people who ask if the battery charges while you ride.
Currently molten salt and fusion bleed talent through attrition faster than the knowledge being built. The investment rates are too low to sustain the knowledge base, so they are pipe dreams for the foreseeable future because they would need ten times the yearly investment to push them over the hump.
There are many people heavily invested in not solving the issues and non-solutions.
Fortunately, the market has corrections, and this current diesel crisis too shall pass.

I build E bikes and you would not believe the amount of people who ask if the battery charges while you ride.

That sounds like a reasonable question to be if they are asking about regenerative braking as in a Tesla. Also, if you are pedaling and not using electric power, why couldn't you be charging?

I never think of going after the oil companies. They do all the work for a pittance in profits compared to what governments make off the oil they produce. Governments really have no incentive for cheap oil. I am amazed at how well the powers that be, deflect the blame onto the oil companies. Watching all this take place would be entertaining if it wasn't hitting me in the pocketbook with no way to affect the situation.

That sounds like a reasonable question to be if they are asking about regenerative braking as in a Tesla. Also, if you are pedaling and not using electric power, why couldn't you be charging?
Regeneration is only available on direct drive heavy e bikes. Very few companies are currently building regen into their bikes. The downside to regen is a bike that is heavy and does not pedal well. I only build E bikes for friends and disabled/medical recovery folks who want one and cannot find what they want. Regen is definitely not for them.

Last month we filled up the pickup in rural WA, ID and MT, farm and ranch country. I'd guess the bulk of the gas sales there are regular with premium only running more by 5-10%

In higher end areas of AZ with lots of Audis, BMWs, Mercedes etc the regular to premium spread is higher at 10-15%. Spend more on a car means spend more on fuel. In other words the regular to premium spread is possibly zip code related.

There is an answer though, own a cheaper daily driver vehicle where premium isn't required and just bite the bullet and keep the Porsche in the garage. If you really want to negate the price of premium gas buy a Tesla S :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom