Did you know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
I’m in Florida. Check your states registration process and this is why.

I own a 1986. If your boat is 30 years or older, with the original engine, you may be able to register it historic. It costs me $6.95 a year for registration. My zodiac costs more to register!

Check it out!!

I was aware of that as there is a 49 year old Grand Banks a few slips down with the cheap registration.

Pity they require the original engine. That seems environmentally ignorant. Didn't realize your Mercedes engine was original to the boat.

Another nice savings on Florida registration is having an EPIRB or PLB. You have to show current NOAA registration of it to your vessel, but the reduction on my boat was worth over $30.

Ted

Yep! Original engine!!

Wifey B: What I did know what you haven't been here enough. Now, if I thought it was because you were busy cruising then might be ok, but I, sadly, don't think that's it. You've been missed. :)

Greetings,
As to Ms. D.

iu

Awe thanks guys and gals! Just busy on a new project.

Which Mercedes engine? 30yr ago I had an old woody with OM352, six cyl 125hp. I think early 80's engines. They were gems!

Here are the actual Florida requirements for antique vessel registration:

A. Powered by its original TYPE power plant
B. Used for non-commercial purposes
C. Vessel must be at least 30 years old

So you can upgrade your old boat's diesel to a vastly better one and still qualify.

I enjoyed the five-dollar registration of my 1972 GB and have only fourteen more years until my Mainship qualifies! :)

Last edited:
Which Mercedes engine? 30yr ago I had an old woody with OM352, six cyl 125hp. I think early 80's engines. They were gems!

166 hp. Don’t know what the model is, but it’s very similar to a tractor engine.

As rgano pointed out, it only need to be the original TYPE engine. The problem is that there have never been any test cases to set a precedent for exactly what "original type engine" means. If the original engine was a Detroit Diesel, does the replacement have to be a Detroit Diesel? Does it have to be the same model, or would a newer model qualify? Does ANY marine diesel qualify as the "original type"?

Until some court cases clarify it, you really can't be sure.

On the other hand, the fact that there have not been any court cases would indicate that counties are somewhat loathe to press the issue. So that's a good thing for boat owners who upgrade their engines.

Personally, I would be comfortable replacing an old marine diesel with a similar size/hp of marine diesel engine, even if it not the same manufacturer. But that's just me. Each person has to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with, and what they think might be the tipping point for getting the attention of county officials.

There is no inspection procedure. You could get away with as much as you want to lie about.

To clear this up. Original type is defined in the application as "Engine of same year and model that the vessel had originally."

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/87243.pdf

So just being a diesel doesn't qualify. Even being the same model but two years newer, doesn't qualify. Being the same year but a different model, doesn't qualify.

As rgano pointed out, it only need to be the original TYPE engine. The problem is that there have never been any test cases to set a precedent for exactly what "original type engine" means. If the original engine was a Detroit Diesel, does the replacement have to be a Detroit Diesel? Does it have to be the same model, or would a newer model qualify? Does ANY marine diesel qualify as the "original type"?

Until some court cases clarify it, you really can't be sure.

On the other hand, the fact that there have not been any court cases would indicate that counties are somewhat loathe to press the issue. So that's a good thing for boat owners who upgrade their engines.

Personally, I would be comfortable replacing an old marine diesel with a similar size/hp of marine diesel engine, even if it not the same manufacturer. But that's just me. Each person has to decide for themselves what they are comfortable with, and what they think might be the tipping point for getting the attention of county officials.

No, each person doesn't have to decide. The rules are clear.

OOPS! I apologize for my flippant disregard for the form's further definition.

You are right. My mistake. The statutes do not define "original-type," but they do grant the Dept of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles the authority make rules, which they have obviously done.

Back
Top Bottom