Destination Anticipation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love Abbott's and Noank Marina.

About 20 years ago, while cruising Long Island Sound, we broke a steering cable and the folks at Noank provided outstanding assistance with the repairs.

Thanks. I am at Noank shipyard marina as I write this. On of my favorite stops.

Let me know if you ever do, I'll share some more of my favs. If you strictly want the best lobster roll and nothing else, try the Lobster Landing in Clinton CT. Also next door to an awesome marina (Cedar Island) though not as scenic as Noank. My wife is crazy for lobster rolls and tries them everywhere. This place beats even the best in Maine IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/LobsterLandingLLC?ref=bookmarks
So, does your wife prefer lobster rolls with or without mayonnaise? A debate worthy of twins vs singles.

No matter how many times I do it, whenever I cross the Gulf Stream over to the Bahamas, I get the same unbelievable thrill, the second I see that water turn from deep blue to that super clear Tidy Bowl blue as you hit the shallow water of the Bahamas.

Reactions: FWT
So, does your wife prefer lobster rolls with or without mayonnaise? A debate worthy of twins vs singles.

That's barely worth debating! There should never be any mayo near a lobster roll!

Let me know if you ever do, I'll share some more of my favs. If you strictly want the best lobster roll and nothing else, try the Lobster Landing in Clinton CT. Also next door to an awesome marina (Cedar Island) though not as scenic as Noank. My wife is crazy for lobster rolls and tries them everywhere. This place beats even the best in Maine IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/LobsterLandingLLC?ref=bookmarks

I had a day off and took your advice by driving down to Clinton to Lobster Landing. GREAT advice. Thanks. Great lobster roll. Pretty good lobster bisque too. A good day.

Its surely no secret. I was there about 3pm on a Friday and it was as busy as could be.

For those who don't know what scrapple is:

https://www.amazon.com/RAPA-Scrappl...ild=1&keywords=scrapple&qid=1626010782&sr=8-5

It comes in a brick / loaf. Cut it into slices maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. Oil in a frying pan. Cook until crisp on the outside and still a bit soft on the inside. Yum. A scrapple and fried egg sandwich is a great way to start a day.

I was born and raised in MD and I love scrapple. I retired to SC and while one brand is available frozen in many grocery stores, it's never seen on restaurant menus.

We were at Calvert Marina in Solomons, MD and they have a little "restaurant" on the premises. Scrapple was listed on the menu and I ordered it with great anticipation.

As I was sitting, waiting for my food to be delivered, I could hear something in the deep fryer. I kept hearing and hearing it.

When my breakfast finally came, I realized that it had been my scrapple, deep fried to a crisp! It was awful and I couldn't eat it.

I suspect you have to go a bit further north in MD to find scrapple and people who know how to cook it.

To answer the original question, at my age, I don't live to eat, I eat to live. I typically don't visit a particular town because of a particular restaurant.

I like to visit new towns and cities, visit the shops and stores and visit sandy beaches. I like being the only boat in an anchorage, I like meeting other boaters in marinas and the locals in the towns along the way. I like seeing the wildlife.

And of course, I do eat and enjoy the regional specialties.

You might be better off not knowing what scrapple is! Any what marketing genius came up with that name? About as appealing to me as head cheese.

The same could be said for sausage and hot dogs. And many other foods.

Scrapple was the way people made use of the entire hog back before people just discarded what didn't appeal to them.

As for the name, scrapple was named well before grocery stores and packaged foods. It's called "scrapple" because it's literally made from scraps of meat.

I had a day off and took your advice by driving down to Clinton to Lobster Landing. GREAT advice. Thanks. Great lobster roll. Pretty good lobster bisque too. A good day.

Its surely no secret. I was there about 3pm on a Friday and it was as busy as could be.

I just woke up in Clinton this morning. A lobser roll is definitiely in my future some time today! Maybe some bisque too since it's pretty chilly this morning.

The same could be said for sausage and hot dogs. And many other foods.

Scrapple was the way people made use of the entire hog back before people just discarded what didn't appeal to them.

As for the name, scrapple was named well before grocery stores and packaged foods. It's called "scrapple" because it's literally made from scraps of meat.

I understand but I still think it's a tragic name for something to eat. Spam may not be much better, but at least the name doesn't sound so bad!

We were at Calvert Marina in Solomons, MD and they have a little "restaurant" on the premises. Scrapple was listed on the menu and I ordered it with great anticipation.

When my breakfast finally came, I realized that it had been my scrapple, deep fried to a crisp! It was awful and I couldn't eat it.

That does sound awful. Thanks for the warning of that place. Pretty much anything can be ruined and they seemed to have found the way.

To answer the original question, at my age, I don't live to eat, I eat to live. I typically don't visit a particular town because of a particular restaurant.

I like to visit new towns and cities, visit the shops and stores and visit sandy beaches. I like being the only boat in an anchorage, I like meeting other boaters in marinas and the locals in the towns along the way. I like seeing the wildlife.

And of course, I do eat and enjoy the regional specialties.

And THAT is entirely my point and point of view. Taking in whatever it is the region has to offer. Sometimes its food, others its music, wildlife, or things to see / visit.

I understand but I still think it's a tragic name for something to eat. Spam may not be much better, but at least the name doesn't sound so bad!

Too few are willing to even taste mincemeat pie. I think because of the name. Its one of my very favorite deserts, and no Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner is complete without it. I tell others if it were named apple-raisin pie they might think otherwise, but generally they don't buy that point. Its their loss.

I just woke up in Clinton this morning. A lobser roll is definitiely in my future some time today! Maybe some bisque too since it's pretty chilly this morning.

Enjoy! I know you will.

Too few are willing to even taste mincemeat pie. I think because of the name. Its one of my very favorite deserts, and no Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner is complete without it. I tell others if it were named apple-raisin pie they might think otherwise, but generally they don't buy that point. Its their loss.

Thanks for reminding me. I like mincemeat too, but you have to agree it is a tragic name for a delicious dessert!

Enjoy! I know you will.

Thanks, just about to walk over there now in between some scatttered showers. 95 yesterday 75 today, welcome to New England! Probably have a lobsert roll for lunch and some chowder or bisque back on the boat later. Fireworks tonight for Clinton Summerfest. We should have a good view from the back of our boat at Cedar Island Marina. Great place to stay.

For those who don't know what scrapple is:

https://www.amazon.com/RAPA-Scrappl...ild=1&keywords=scrapple&qid=1626010782&sr=8-5

It comes in a brick / loaf. Cut it into slices maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. Oil in a frying pan. Cook until crisp on the outside and still a bit soft on the inside. Yum. A scrapple and fried egg sandwich is a great way to start a day.

I’m from Hawai’i. We eat SPAM, so I can’t truly criticize that “stuff”. But I literally didn’t know WTH you all were referring to.

Spam is a decent comparison as far as how to prepare it etc for breakfast. Slice it, brown it in a pan or skillet and eat it with eggs. Everyone who grew up there has eaten a Spam musubi; a slice caramelized, usually with honey or maple syrup, wrapped in white, sticky rice and nori, Japanese seaweed wrap.

The popularity is a remnant of WWII, martial law etc. Meat was in very short supply and the government provided Spam to the military and locals. My late mom, who was 20 when Pearl was attacked, would not eat Spam post war. She couldn’t stand the stuff having consumed so much of it during martial law and the war years.:rofl::lol:

Alaska is on our list as is much of the Salish Sea north of Prideaux Haven. We have only been once and made it as far north as The Octopus Islands chain. But we barely scratched the surface.

The Caribbean is definitely appealing, but not on our tiny boat, as is The Sea of Cortez.

Last edited:
I’m from Hawai’i. We eat SPAM, so I can’t truly criticize that “stuff”. But I literally didn’t know WTH you all were referring to.

Spam is a decent comparison as far as how to prepare it etc for breakfast. Slice it, brown it in a pan or skillet and eat it with eggs. Everyone who grew up there has eaten a Spam musubi; a slice caramelized, usually with honey or maple syrup, wrapped in white, sticky rice and nori, Japanese seaweed wrap.

The popularity is a remnant of WWII, martial law etc. Meat was in very short supply and the government provided Spam to the military and locals. My late mom, who was 20 when Pearl was attacked, would not eat Spam post war. She couldn’t stand the stuff having consumed so much of it during martial law and the war years.:rofl::lol:

Alaska is on our list as is much of the Salish Sea north of Prideaux Haven. We have only been once and made it as far north as The Octopus Islands chain. But we barely scratched the surface.

The Caribbean is definitely appealing, but not on our tiny boat, as is The Sea of Cortez.

Wifey B: I grew up on spam and other unidentifiable crap but likely some of it was rejects and scraps but fortunately I outgrew that and I'm not eating Spam now and not eating Scraps of any sort including Scrapple, and not eating today's version of Mincemeat that no longer has meat. I'll stick to identifiable products. :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

I grew-up in Maryland and ate scrapple all the time. You must be shopping the wrong stores.

I just asked The Admiral if she knew what it is. She is from WA State with family from Minnesota. Yep. She knew. Said I’m better off having “never tried it.”

:rofl::popcorn:

The Filipino culture has a saying: The only part of the pig they don’t eat is the squeal. In other words, if you kill it, you eat it ALL.

Last edited:
Wifey B: I grew up on spam and other unidentifiable crap but likely some of it was rejects and scraps but fortunately I outgrew that and I'm not eating Spam now and not eating Scraps of any sort including Scrapple, and not eating today's version of Mincemeat that no longer has meat. I'll stick to identifiable products. :nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono::nonono:

I also ate a lot of spam growing up (shoulder of pork and ham) but still put that a level above scrapple or head cheese. I understand the need of some people to eat every part of an animal if that's what they need to do to survive. That said, I will avoid spam, scrapple etc. I know a hot dog might not be much better ingredient-wise, but at least it has a better name and you are not forced to be reminded you are eating "scraps".

...shoulder of pork and ham...

Growing up we called it “simulated perfect artificial meat”.:whistling:

I know it as “shoulder pork and meat”.

When we travel and find ourselves in an eatery I do try items not on our normal menus.
Spam and biscuits with gravy, but have not seen scrapple yet. Mind you when I saw the packaging in one of the posts, I smiled and thought, only in American can they re brand spam and call it a breakfast meal. :D

Fortunately Monty Python has not overlooked Spam, here is a short offering in honor of the inedible:

Back
Top Bottom