Old 10-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #1

City: SEATTLE
Dehumidifier good or bad idea?

Remember be gentle as this was my first project and it works very well

From the photos you can see I placed a dehumidifier in my kitchen. An AiRPLUS 30 Pints Dehumidifier. This as buying damprid got costly. I took the wheels off and tied it down with bungee cords. Attached the hose to the sink.

I also have a couple Davis air dryers one up front one in the back of the boat.

1. Is this setup ok, I just drain ithe water into my sink?
2. Do I have to worry about it catching on fire for any reasons? Would you leave it on while not on the boat?
3. If you don't like it, what would you use. Remember my CHB like most have a few leaky windows.
4. Can I just get one, "great job, why didn't I think of that"?
5. With the location up front of the boat, will it reach back to my bedroom?

Sorry photos didn't turn out right. Of course it's upright. How about that leopard carpet? Grrrrrr...

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_160735.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	108991   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_160720.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	108992   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_160728.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	108993  

Ducatihottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
That's what I do, except I have a Danby 50 pint unit. Same location, drains into the sink. I also was using Damp Rid and I like this method better. Seems to cover most of the boat with the doors open. Still ride your Ducati?

Old 10-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Cygnus
Vessel Model: Meridian 391
I do the same. Works fine.
Barabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
I have two dehumidifiers.

One for the salon, and one for the master head/cabin area.

Wouldnít be in humid country without them
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:05 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatihottie View Post
With the location up front of the boat, will it reach back to my bedroom? Thanks
With our dehumidifier unit in the mid ship galley, I place two small fans on timers at each stateroom end of the boat's interior to improve circulation. I've not used bungee cords but our marina stays reasonably calm even in 70 knot winds.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #6

Of course I still ride, (ST3). I literally just purchased my first car about a year ago and I'm 58, (Mercedes SLK).

Happy to see the responses above.

Can I leave it on 24/7 without worrying about it catching fire?

What humidity "temp" do you set it?

How often will I need to clean the filter, (if it even has one)?

I have NO sink space in my back bedroom bathroom for one. And the shower floor nor seat are flat. That's my trashcan in the flat spot. Plus I'm not 100% certain I'd want or trust my brown water bilge to pump it out if I place it in the shower????

Where did you all place your back bedroom dehumidifier so it drains freely? Should I place it where my trashcan is? What about my bilge?

I like the fan idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_170643.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	108994   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201016_170602.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	108995  
Old 10-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #7
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Yes, lots of people use dehumidifiers just as you are, except they use them in the GALLEY, not kitchen...
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #8

Dave, do I need to turn it off when I'm not on the boat or just leave it on? Have you ever heard of one catching fire?
Old 10-16-2020, 08:02 PM   #9
Guru

I donít run one n my boat but we have one in our crawl space that stays powered on 24x7 so I see no reason not to leave one powered on in the boat as long as it is secured well.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
With our dehumidifier unit in the mid ship galley, I place two small fans on timers at each stateroom end of the boat's interior to improve circulation. I've not used bungee cords but our marina stays reasonably calm even in 70 knot winds.

That's what I do.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:36 PM   #11
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
We have a 30 pint unit in the salon. We leave it on 50 or 55% when we are away from the boat. It also runs at night and while underway when the boat is closed up. It is one of those things that we would replace immediately if it quit working. When the unit is running, you can feel air movement all the way forward in the stateroom...which makes me think it is effective for the entire boat.

We augment the dehumidifier with a couple of Davis Air Dryrs and a couple of space heaters (used on low). They re not all used at once, but added as needed based on the forecast. I am usually drawing about 8 amps while away from the boat, but we have nearly no moisture issues.

Finally, we leave as many cabinets and such open while away from the boat to promote air exchange.

Good Luck, from an ex-BMW oilhead rider.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #12
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Irene,
I had two BMW’s ... an R-90 and a K75.
Never heard of oil head ???

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:39 PM   #13
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Irene,
I had two BMWís ... an R-90 and a K75.
Never heard of oil head ???
Oil heads are second generation boxer twins. They are oil cooled. R850, R1100, R1150, etc.

From a BMW chaingang (F650GS Dakar) rider. Which is actually a water-cooled Rotax thumper.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 10:19 AM   #14
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Brian,
I have been using a dehumidifier on board running at 50% setting 24/7 for years during winter. It is very effective. You can try to setup a second unit in the master bedroom area. This is the first year I have gone that route. I drain it into the shower sump and plan on running the pump once a week and monthly water vaccing the sump dry. Just started and monitoring the sump regularly and so far no problem. Air movement is a good idea to help combat mildew and mould.

If you are a 30 amp boat, just ensure that you do not draw ANY more than 20 amps continuously. Lower is better. Get an Infrared temp gun and monitor the temperature of your shore power cord and system to ensure no overheats occur.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:02 AM   #15
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I've run a dehumidifier in the boat over the winter, 24/7 for many years. They are a UL listed appliance, so the fire risk is similar to a refrigerator at home. Do you unplug the refrigerator at home when you go out?

I'd drain it into somewhere that drains overboard and would not depend on a shower sump pump or the like.

I used to run a fan on a timer to move the dehumidified air into the stateroom and head, until I pulled one AC unit and replaced it with a built in dehumidifier, which is then ducted to every compartment. Best mod you can do if you are in the PNW. It is always on in storage, and usually on underway, and often on at anchor.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 12:15 PM   #16
Guru

City: Puget Sound
The only issue with running a dehumidifier 24/7 is that it can dry the wooden frames around the windows enough that they can shrink and cause leaks... I just put the dehumidifier on a timer and run it 10 hrs a day, keep small fans running in the areas of the boat that have poor air circulation.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:05 PM   #17
Guru

Get a humidity sensor and see what it actually is. We have a wireless sensor in out crawl space and run the dehumidifier 24x7. But the dehumidifier has an adjustable setting so you can dial in what humidity you want. We keep it between 45 to 50% humidity. Mold should not grow at that level. With a sensor you can see what level you have and at 45 to 50% you shouldnít dry out the wood enough to matter.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #18
Guru

City: Kentucky
Portable dehumidifiers are relatively inexpensive, and do a good job. There are models available that have a small pump which activates when the basin gets full, so they can pump UP a feet to drain overboard, not relying on gravity drain to sink or shower.

They HAVE been known to catch fire however. Please see the link below from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) (from November 2016) regarding the Gree manufacturerer, who manufactured dehumidifiers for MULTIPLE companies and brand names to include Frigidaire, Kenmore, GE, Gree, and many more. We had one of the recalled dehumidifiers that we used in our motorhome. The recall specifies that you have to send in the power cord (with attached brand label) as well as the label with Model # and Serial number in with specifics of purchase. They will send you a check for about 75% of what anyone could reasonably replace it for. Note: Avoid any used dehumidifiers with missing data plates, as they may have been recalled, then sold as used . . .

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/gr...-in-property-0

Fair winds and following seas!
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #19
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
DDW,
While I agree with you about draining overboard directly, which is exactly what I have done for years with one dehumidifier draining into the galley sink, this year I am trying an experiment. I have added a second one in the head. The head is forward, while the galley is aft. There is no counter space in the head to allow for draining overboard, and I am trying the shower sump route. The pump is off, and the sump tank (enclosed) holds about 10 gallons. I go down to the boat at least twice per week (gives me something to do), and I will run the pump manually then. I can check on the tank level or even water vac it out if need be. I will never fill the tank in 3-4 days, but we will see how it all works out.
I not only set the humidity control on the unit, but I have a separate temp/humidity monitor in the pilothouse and ER for monitoring purposes. The boat should be dry and reasonably warm (40-50 degrees) all winter (as long as no extended power outages).
Old 10-17-2020, 01:42 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehoser75 View Post
DDW,
While I agree with you about draining overboard directly, which is exactly what I have done for years with one dehumidifier draining into the galley sink, this year I am trying an experiment. I have added a second one in the head. The head is forward, while the galley is aft. There is no counter space in the head to allow for draining overboard, and I am trying the shower sump route. The pump is off, and the sump tank (enclosed) holds about 10 gallons. I go down to the boat at least twice per week (gives me something to do), and I will run the pump manually then. I can check on the tank level or even water vac it out if need be. I will never fill the tank in 3-4 days, but we will see how it all works out.
I not only set the humidity control on the unit, but I have a separate temp/humidity monitor in the pilothouse and ER for monitoring purposes. The boat should be dry and reasonably warm (40-50 degrees) all winter (as long as no extended power outages).
Maybe it would be a bood candidate for an auto sump pump?