Defever 49 Youtube episode SuperYachtCaptain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mambo42

Guru
Vessel Name
Endless Summer
Vessel Make
1979 Defever 49
In May this year we participated with our Defever 49 in the Yachtmaster series, made by SuperYachtCaptain Tristan Mortlock, sponsored by Aquabanas.

Perhaps some of you know (from other threads in this forum) we bought this boat last October and since the former owner had died there was absolutely nobody to explain us the workings of all the systems on board. The whole boat was a complete mystery to me and it took countless hours just to figure out how to get all systems running.

Then, one day in February, I was watching the Youtube channel of Tristan Mortlock, the captain of SuperYacht AWOL and he was looking for 10 'volunteers' for his new series 'the Yachtmaster'. Idea was to teach owners how to handle their boats and make them more confident in stressful situations.
I have been handling boats for close to 30 years, but my wife has not and we both agreed that she also had to know how to handle the boat. We also knew that if I would start doing the instruction, with my military back ground, it would be a sure road to a divorce. :)
So we got in contact with Tristan and agreed to have him on board in May. However, I had already scheduled an engine overhaul, hull inspections, hull cleaning, lift out and loads of other maintenance, so I basically spent 1 month pushing everyone to get the boat ready for this filming. When you see the part in the engine room you will see lots of stuff lying around that should not be there. The engine mechanic had basically just left the boat after the test run, we were still cleaning up to make the boat look presentable. Tristan knew this by the way.

In any case, Tristan spent 3 days with us on board and I must say that I have never met an instructor as good and composed as he was. His knowledge is outstanding, but he is also extremely calm, collected and to the point. My wife was very nervous even taking the boat out of the dock (she had only handled boats of around 20' before, since normally I do everything onboard our boat in the Caribbean), but Tristan gave her the trust and confidence to handle this boat as well and after the third day she was bringing in the boat like a pro. The editing does not really show you that, but the last day she was docking the boat without any inputs from Tristan. She now has the confidence to take the boat out and bring it back all by herself and that has greatly improved her joy in boating. She really enjoys it at this moment.

In all, Tristan came to Corfu, Greece, where our boat is based and we had 3 intense days of instruction and explanation of lots of stuff onboard. Some of it we had to pretend we had never heard before, other parts we really never heard before.

Some of you know that I have been asking questions about engine room cooling, solar panels etc, it is all part of the refurbishment that will take place over the next couple of years. The basics of the boat are fine, the engines are now running perfect, but there is a ton of work to do. In the end we hope to get the boat back to almost new condition and then we want to take it up to Monaco to attend the F1 GP, lying on the first row.

On the chance of making a fool out of myself I will post the link to the Youtube episode of our boat and us. Hope you will enjoy, perhaps learn something or otherwise laugh your *ss off by watching our stupidities.

I know there are plans to bring this series (the Yachtmaster) to the US and I can highly recommend applying. Even if you are a seasoned skipper yourself, perhaps your spouse is not or perhaps you want to have more instruction yourself in certain areas. What you see on the videos is just the basics, but in real time it goes much deeper.
If ever Tristan announces that he is coming to America, don't hesitate, sign up immediately, you won't be disappointed.

For more 'behind the scenes pictures' you can always visit Login • Instagram

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom