Decisions Decisions, on a first trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi
There are many boats on trademe, bur when you spending around $300 i have to like it too, and oh boy i dont like what i see there. The boats are mostly wooden, ugly design, they might be suitable for nz waters but all those pelins, warwicks etc are not my style at all. If i decide on newer i like beneteau st34 and 42, rhea36 or i really like the classic looks of grand banks, chung hwa, island gypsy, mariner etc , plus to have grand banks in nz make it more special and potentially an advantage when selling, as it is so few of them here.
There is grand banks sedan 42 by riviera for sale in Tauranga at the moment.
Is this the GB42? Only one I spotted in NZ, but wrong location and not Riviera built.
https://www.marinehub.co.nz/boats-f...6-468f-9423-0271ca298511?make_id=389&offset=0

You live in Heaven

Hi Jiri, welcome to TF

You are lucky to live in what I would say is one of the best cruising grounds in the world. Initially you will prob head to Waiheke or Kawau, then as your confidence builds BOI, the barrier and corromandel..

I'm a Kiwi living in Fremantle and often dream of returning home..

We have a clipper 34 aft cabin. I'm a traditionalist and am drawn to the trawler style. I love our Clipper 34 (very similar to GB36) and for our small family it is huge! The walk around decks are brilliant and safe. In good weather, guests gravitate to the bow, and they are easily seen from the helm. We can easily have 2 families on board for a weekend.

A big factor which you may or may not be able to control is displacement vs planning...

The big limitation is her roll... I have confidence in the boat, but my other half and the kids get nervous easily and its best I don't push their anxiety whereby turn them off boating... Our trips to Rottnest Island (16 mile channel crossing) involve us leaving very early before a sea breeze, and a careful study of the weather for the return. Often the family takes the ferry home. Rolling whilst on the pic is ok, short term, but again needs management. My life would be easier if I traded to a flybridge cruiser that could do 16-20 knots...

So perhaps you need to establish how the family will go on a full displacement trawler...

Meantime the Kiwis build in my view some of the best boats on the planet. Although they tend to use a lot of ply or foam core. And some of the foam core boats have not aged well in AU (from my experience).

May need to be aware all the solid GRP boats are likely to have, or had osmosis issues if older than 10/15 years. 80s and 90s boats are the worst. Not a deal breaker but a lot of early model rivieras and GBs are riddled with it.

I saying that for 300k, the Riviera 36 to 42 flybridges are good value. And the Berties.

If I lived in NZ, I would consider the Genesis boats? A Genesis 400? Although I will never own a stern drive..

Knowing how packed the anchorages get at Waiheke and Kawau - Id be going twin engine purely from a maneuverability. I regularly drive twin engine rescue boats so do rely on it. Owning an old boat with Lehmans, Ive had to rely on one engine lots of times and its handy having both to compare..

NZ can get wet and cold (its all relative ) and I do love a hot coffee, early morning drive from the lower helm on my own as the sun is rising and the family is asleep. On the same breath, sun protection is so important in NZ/AU with the poor Ozone, we are a little limited on our aft cabin trawler with shelter on the back deck and this is limiting at times.

Anyway best of luck with your search. Dont rush into it...

Hi Jiri, welcome to TF

You are lucky to live in what I would say is one of the best cruising grounds in the world. Initially you will prob head to Waiheke or Kawau, then as your confidence builds BOI, the barrier and corromandel..

I'm a Kiwi living in Fremantle and often dream of returning home..

We have a clipper 34 aft cabin. I'm a traditionalist and am drawn to the trawler style. I love our Clipper 34 (very similar to GB36) and for our small family it is huge! The walk around decks are brilliant and safe. In good weather, guests gravitate to the bow, and they are easily seen from the helm. We can easily have 2 families on board for a weekend.

A big factor which you may or may not be able to control is displacement vs planning...

The big limitation is her roll... I have confidence in the boat, but my other half and the kids get nervous easily and its best I don't push their anxiety whereby turn them off boating... Our trips to Rottnest Island (16 mile channel crossing) involve us leaving very early before a sea breeze, and a careful study of the weather for the return. Often the family takes the ferry home. Rolling whilst on the pic is ok, short term, but again needs management. My life would be easier if I traded to a flybridge cruiser that could do 16-20 knots...

So perhaps you need to establish how the family will go on a full displacement trawler...

Meantime the Kiwis build in my view some of the best boats on the planet. Although they tend to use a lot of ply or foam core. And some of the foam core boats have not aged well in AU (from my experience).

May need to be aware all the solid GRP boats are likely to have, or had osmosis issues if older than 10/15 years. 80s and 90s boats are the worst. Not a deal breaker but a lot of early model rivieras and GBs are riddled with it.

I saying that for 300k, the Riviera 36 to 42 flybridges are good value. And the Berties.

If I lived in NZ, I would consider the Genesis boats? A Genesis 400? Although I will never own a stern drive..

Knowing how packed the anchorages get at Waiheke and Kawau - Id be going twin engine purely from a maneuverability. I regularly drive twin engine rescue boats so do rely on it. Owning an old boat with Lehmans, Ive had to rely on one engine lots of times and its handy having both to compare..

NZ can get wet and cold (its all relative ) and I do love a hot coffee, early morning drive from the lower helm on my own as the sun is rising and the family is asleep. On the same breath, sun protection is so important in NZ/AU with the poor Ozone, we are a little limited on our aft cabin trawler with shelter on the back deck and this is limiting at times.

Anyway best of luck with your search. Dont rush into it...

Hi, nice to hear from a kiwi abroad. Yes you are right, hauraki is brilliant for daytrips, my brother have a fishing boat and my friend has a sailing boat, been on both thats why i know i dont want neither. Fishing boat tiny, uncomfortable and only daytrip, sailing way to slow. You are right about Waiheke, kawau, tiri tiri, rakino, rangitoto, great barrier etc. i have to agree with one point you made, it is quite often raining here thats why originally i thought europa style trawler with covered cockpit might suits best the nz conditions when is raining or you want to be hidden from the sun because of the ozone in summer. Before i started more research on GBs i was locked in on Beneteau Swift Trawler 34 rather than newer 35, but it is easier to get the 42 version. Seeing so many ads i narrowed down the must have column to folllowing : 2 bedrooms, space for dinghy on the roof rather than davits over swim platform, at least a bow thruster, preferred two engines. The GB 42 classic apart from covered flybridge does not have covered aft deck. Have found that nice chung hwa in nsw but the owner does not recommend the boat be sailed trans tasman to nz. And yes i have a friend who circumnavigated the globe who will show me the ropes.

Hi everyone from New Zealand. During this lockdown I have time to do a proper research on what trawler to buy in October or November for next season.

I am big fan of Grand Banks expecially EU version but they are not available at all in my part of the world. I am searching also in Australia and if I am correct the shipping of a 35-42 feet Trawler to New Zealand will be around A$25000 mark.

So here is what I am choosing between: locally sourced Beneteau 42, Pelin Crusader or Clipper 43, or in Australia I have found stunning Chung Hwa 42, Beneteau ST34, Blue Seas 37 or Grand Banks 36 Sedan build by Riviera.

We are family of 4 and would like to use the trawler as a Campervan on water for Hauraki Bay, Bay of Islands and Coromandel.

I was leaning towards single screw but more and more advice I can find on several forums is towards twin screw. I have no problem with cruising speed of 8-10kn but the fuel economy is important to me.

One last thing, I never owned a boat before in my life

So the advise based on your experience is should i go for the smallest and youngest boat or early 80s are not that old after all if the boat has been looked after?
Hi, you mentioned one of your shortlist is a Chung Wha 42 in Australia.

There is a Chung Wha 46 currently for sale in Sydney. It is named Elandra. Flag blue coloured Hull.

I owned this vessel for many years and sold her to the current owners 5 years ago, I had purchased another boat as I wanted 3 cabins and another bathroom.

For a while I held both of them and had them together side by side in marina berths.

I agonised over selling Elandra as I owned her for 10 years and had way to much invested in her.

But I did sell her, to a family that paid what I wanted and did not haggle as they saw what they were getting and how good it was. I have a background as a marine diesel engineer and have owned trawler style boats all my life, Grand Banks, ocean Alexander’s, halvorsons.

Elandra was designed by Ed Monk Jnr and is probably still the best boat I have owned.

When I sold her she was perfect (even down to the 10k saloon table refurbishment) and the current owner has not only looked after her but also upgraded her with bow thruster etc.

I have no affiliation with current owner but did see that she was recently listed on boat sales, if we weren’t in isolation and could build the courage up to ask the Mrs I would buy her back without hesitation.
I travelled the east coast of Aus extensively in her and I rebuilt the 6BT Cummins myself, old school every part inspected and tested.

Don’t know how to post a link but she’s on Boatsales Australia.
Hoping she goes to a good home.

Have a search and see if she suits you.

There is a Chung Wha 46 currently for sale in Sydney. It is named Elandra. Flag blue coloured Hull.

I owned this vessel for many years and sold her to the current owners 5 years ago, I had purchased another boat as I wanted 3 cabins and another bathroom.

For a while I held both of them and had them together side by side in marina berths.

I agonised over selling Elandra as I owned her for 10 years and had way to much invested in her.

But I did sell her, to a family that paid what I wanted and did not haggle as they saw what they were getting and how good it was. I have a background as a marine diesel engineer and have owned trawler style boats all my life, Grand Banks, ocean Alexander’s, halvorsons.

Elandra was designed by Ed Monk Jnr and is probably still the best boat I have owned.

When I sold her she was perfect (even down to the 10k saloon table refurbishment) and the current owner has not only looked after her but also upgraded her with bow thruster etc.

I have no affiliation with current owner but did see that she was recently listed on boat sales, if we weren’t in isolation and could build the courage up to ask the Mrs I would buy her back without hesitation.
I travelled the east coast of Aus extensively in her and I rebuilt the 6BT Cummins myself, old school every part inspected and tested.

Yes Elandra looks stunning, it is on my list but also the other Chung Hwa which is 42 named Lady J. Elandra is bigger for the same money, just not sure if i need 46. Since you were the owner how does it compare to Grand Banks Europa from the late 80s? Thanks

If the GB is riviera built by Bill Barry Cotter I would have to say yes it’s the better boat.

But as boats of this type get older their long term ownership and maintenance comes into play. If I was to choose between the Grand Banks and the Chung Wha all things being equal I would take the Grand Banks hands down. But both have their faults. Chung Wha’s built out of Taiwan under the guidance of Ed Monk were subjected to some shoddy standards in the finishing, laid decks had one screw every metre instead of 3 as stainless was a commodity and the workers would pocket them as opposed to putting them in the deck etc!

But Grand Banks built by riviera also had issues, they were built under licence and riviera in the early days weren’t held accountable for quality control, their primary build was Rivieras.

So there has been stories from old shipwrights at riviera about how the GB,s were layed up late in the day using less resin in the chopper gun.
Also GB 42’s were able to go quite fast, so we’re used and bought by old blokes like me to both accomodate the family but also to get me out wide to fish.

Best of both worlds.

So. You should choose what works best for your lifestyle. The GB has a turn of speed advantage and in the land of the long white cloud and unpredictable weather that might be an advantage when outrunning bad weather.
But look closely at the history and maintenance of any boat before committing.

But if they both stack up !!!!!! I’d take the GB.

Hi, nice to hear from a kiwi abroad. Yes you are right, hauraki is brilliant for daytrips, my brother have a fishing boat and my friend has a sailing boat, been on both thats why i know i dont want neither. Fishing boat tiny, uncomfortable and only daytrip, sailing way to slow. You are right about Waiheke, kawau, tiri tiri, rakino, rangitoto, great barrier etc. i have to agree with one point you made, it is quite often raining here thats why originally i thought europa style trawler with covered cockpit might suits best the nz conditions when is raining or you want to be hidden from the sun because of the ozone in summer. Before i started more research on GBs i was locked in on Beneteau Swift Trawler 34 rather than newer 35, but it is easier to get the 42 version. Seeing so many ads i narrowed down the must have column to folllowing : 2 bedrooms, space for dinghy on the roof rather than davits over swim platform, at least a bow thruster, preferred two engines. The GB 42 classic apart from covered flybridge does not have covered aft deck. Have found that nice chung hwa in nsw but the owner does not recommend the boat be sailed trans tasman to nz. And yes i have a friend who circumnavigated the globe who will show me the ropes.

Jiri - Yes I probably contradict a lot of what I say.. Aft cabin is great, splitting the cabins, and the aft cabin is MASSIVE. Works great wit hkids.

But for sure, its difficult to get a seamless shade system set up on the aft deck that doesnt compromise both looks and functionality..

Yes Elandra looks stunning, it is on my list but also the other Chung Hwa which is 42 named Lady J. Elandra is bigger for the same money, just not sure if i need 46. Since you were the owner how does it compare to Grand Banks Europa from the late 80s? Thanks

Jiri, to expand a bit on my earlier post, I can definitely say, based on my NZ and Aussie experience, the Europa/Sedan type layout is to be preferred in the main for the reasons you touched on. Protection from the weather, both sun and rain, with the nicely protected walk-in, walk-out cockpit, which allows such great indoor/outdoor living the climate of both countries encourages.

Unfortunately, this does mean the kids need to sleep in the saloon, but that is bigger in a sedan version than in the aft cabin versions anyway, or you could think sundeck models, with a fully enclosed sit-out area above a full width aft cabin. The price you pay for that lay-out is getting on and off less easy. For all these reasons, my wife insisted we keep looking until we found a sedan version of the Clipper 34, which is the model I always had my eye on, but in the aft or tri-cabin model. She was right. As it turned out, one tends to take non-family out for overnighting much less often than you think, so the added privacy of the aft cabin is not missed so much after all, and the aft cabin, sticking up into the aft deck area, always tends to make it a less attractive place to sit out on, or in, than the full cockpit versions. That's my view of course, and no doubt others with tri-cabin models will disagree - that's part of the fun of being on here. The friendly banter.

So, anyway, after we found the Gazelle yacht we brought over here to Brisbane was getting a bit cramped, but also exposed us too much to the vicious sun, we ended up going the trawler way, initially via a Resort (Cuddles) 35, then ultimately enjoying a Clipper 34 Sedan for 16years until sold two years ago. I will post a coupla pics below...

Attachments

• 9C0F73E1-66C5-4CE3-90F0-4089114DFAB9.jpg
    9C0F73E1-66C5-4CE3-90F0-4089114DFAB9.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 5510A40B-ED3C-4C01-A1D1-36EFD93A957F_1_105_c.jpeg
    5510A40B-ED3C-4C01-A1D1-36EFD93A957F_1_105_c.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 45
Trawler for a Family of Four?

Boats just look big, but seem to shrink after your start moving into them. My wife and I bought a GB32 three years ago and love it. We can be comfortable with an occasional guest, but we are almost always alone. A family of four, in my best estimation, would like the equivalent of a GB42, especially if all four of you are going together a lot. I have seen the area where you are planning to cruise on Google Earth and it has some protection, but a lot of pretty big, open water. Trawlers, inherently, do not like a lot of beam seas and can get pretty rough to ride on in a blow. We cruise the Great Lakes, so I know well how it goes. Something equivalent to a GB42 with twin screws and a BOW THRUSTER can make you look good quite quickly. It would be the first thing I would install in any boat that does not have one. As for seamanship, yes, read the books and remember one thing: you can take it one day at a time. None of us knew it all on day one. Shorter day cruises are all you need for the first time out. Go for it.

Rolling whilst on the pic is ok, short term, but again needs management. My life would be easier if I traded to a flybridge cruiser that could do 16-20 knots...
I found this quote to quite interesting and inline with my experience after 10 years of 8 knot cruising.:thumb:

Kia ora Bro,

This is my first response to the forum, and happy to be offering my experience to my brothers across the ditch !

Firstly, what a great site this is .. so much advice and experience is shared.

In terms of your question(s). I had to respond after reading it.

I am a long time boater growing up with boats and over the last 20 or so years been a sailor owning 3 yachts over this period and sailed many more. Having said that, my wife and I (mainly me) made the jump to the dark side and purchased a trawler design Clipper 40 last year. Single screw, bow and stern thruster ... built like a tank and set up for 2 people with a second cabin with two bunks of a pretty generous size. I’m 6’4” and there’s plenty of headroom and bed space for a bloke of my ‘size’.
I bought the boat in North Queensland and bought her down to Pittwater in Sydney .. a reasonable coastal journey and stopped off in the Whitsundays for a while on the way down. We had challenging conditions to say the least and she handled it all very, very well for a boat of this size. These boats are set up for cruising and are comfortable ... it seems way larger than 40’ ! I particularly enjoy the large flybridge area, the largest I have found in a boat this size.
I was also looking at GB42s or around that size and apart from the higher cost I didn’t feel I was getting much more from the GB that I needed - but then again, they are a GB !
As one of the earlier responders advised... make your list of must-haves and go for the boat that ticks all the must-haves, the rest can be added or morph into other features as you go .. there will be maintenance and repairs .. get prepared to learn and double your repair estimates !
Hope the search goes well .. it’s great just looking at boats anyway.
Good luck and happy boating !
ILLEROM.

Kia ora Bro,

This is my first response to the forum, and happy to be offering my experience to my brothers across the ditch !

Firstly, what a great site this is .. so much advice and experience is shared.

In terms of your question(s). I had to respond after reading it.

I am a long time boater growing up with boats and over the last 20 or so years been a sailor owning 3 yachts over this period and sailed many more. Having said that, my wife and I (mainly me) made the jump to the dark side and purchased a trawler design Clipper 40 last year. Single screw, bow and stern thruster ... built like a tank and set up for 2 people with a second cabin with two bunks of a pretty generous size. I’m 6’4” and there’s plenty of headroom and bed space for a bloke of my ‘size’.
I bought the boat in North Queensland and bought her down to Pittwater in Sydney .. a reasonable coastal journey and stopped off in the Whitsundays for a while on the way down. We had challenging conditions to say the least and she handled it all very, very well for a boat of this size. These boats are set up for cruising and are comfortable ... it seems way larger than 40’ ! I particularly enjoy the large flybridge area, the largest I have found in a boat this size.
I was also looking at GB42s or around that size and apart from the higher cost I didn’t feel I was getting much more from the GB that I needed - but then again, they are a GB !
As one of the earlier responders advised... make your list of must-haves and go for the boat that ticks all the must-haves, the rest can be added or morph into other features as you go .. there will be maintenance and repairs .. get prepared to learn and double your repair estimates !
Hope the search goes well .. it’s great just looking at boats anyway.
Good luck and happy boating !
ILLEROM.

Hi, thank for the comments, yes there is a clipper 43 on trademe and it is twin screw from 2005. Looks quite nice, I might see it after the lockdown just to get the feel. If I compare it to Beneteau ST42 which is basically same money, I like that the dinghy is stored on the roof on Beneteau, not sure where to put it on Clipper judging by the photos of course. Beneteau is faster if needed. Clipper has more that classy Europa look. Hard to choose. What do you think? ta

Hi, thank for the comments, yes there is a clipper 43 on trademe and it is twin screw from 2005. Looks quite nice, I might see it after the lockdown just to get the feel. If I compare it to Beneteau ST42 which is basically same money, I like that the dinghy is stored on the roof on Beneteau, not sure where to put it on Clipper judging by the photos of course. Beneteau is faster if needed. Clipper has more that classy Europa look. Hard to choose. What do you think? ta
Jiri, most owners of the Clipper 40s, and up store the dink on blocks up on the deck above the cockpit, and lower it down with a motorised davit. I must admit when they came out, owning a mere Clipper 34, I lusted after a 40. As I saw it then, and still do, they come close to being the virtually perfect family sized Trawler style boat. Plenty of room, as big enough, but not too big. Great galley. Separate en suite. Huge flybridge. Capable of really decent coastal passages, but not so big as to require a huge berth, and still fairly economical to run. Their Europa style is really user-friendly in the type of climate we have here and in NZ. Definitely one to add to the list - and near the top as well if it can be afforded. Alas, not the case in my case.

I like the Clipper 40/43. Tried to buy one with twins but the seller, a retired car dealer, was a tad difficult, still for sale. However the twin engine ER is tight, you can`t easily get between them, you work from either end. A word of warning, there is 2008 on my marina with the foredecks opened up and under repair for extensive rot right now. The deck under the f/g of the walkways was sandwiched teak block offcuts, surprising a number of people, but otherwise a lovely boat. Probably better than the Integrity 386 I bought but the Integrity has a better and more accessible ER.

I like the Clipper 40/43. Tried to buy one with twins but the seller, a retired car dealer, was a tad difficult, still for sale. However the twin engine ER is tight, you can`t easily get between them, you work from either end. A word of warning, there is 2008 on my marina with the foredecks opened up and under repair for extensive rot right now. The deck under the f/g of the walkways was sandwiched teak block offcuts, surprising a number of people, but otherwise a lovely boat. Probably better than the Integrity 386 I bought but the Integrity has a better and more accessible ER.

Bruce, I know they made a big thing about there not being teak over the fibreglass, and just a clean non-skid deck surface in the new Evolution series as they called the new Clipper range. However, I guess the deck did still need a core to stiffen it, and in the case you describe, they didn't use a synthetic core, but teak blocks. I suspect someone along the years committed the no-no of piercing the upper fibreglass layer with some fitting or other, and hey presto, they recreated the issue that was the downfall of all our earlier models, which suffered ingress of water through the screw-holes they used to fix down the nice-looking teak strips. However, once repaired and re-cored, (probably with a synthetic type this time), the boat you refer to will still be a great vessel. :)

Many, if not most trawlers came from the factory with a mast and boom. Regardless of the size of the boat, up to 40 something, the mast was generally about 15 feet. The boom generally around ten feet.

This mast and boom set up was particularly popular in the 70's. Many of this era of boats have had their masts removed. They are kind of a pain. They make bridge openings mandatory, some travel lifts have both ends closed causing another problem. The boom could be a "head knocker" for the unaware. Taking the mast down for winter canvassing or inside storage was a pretty big job, generally requiring a couple people. A fifteen foot wooden mast with a radar dome and other appendages can be really heavy and awkward.

Although some people contend they can be rigged with a sale and used for a "get home" emergency, it really won't work very well. Trawlers have big props and are wide and not very streamlined. The square feet of sale that can be carried by a fifteen foot mast and a ten foot boom is not enough to capture much wind.

I think the real design purpose was as a "steadying" sale during windy conditions. They might actually contribute a half mile per hour or more while motoring if the wind was right, but I have never witnessed a trawler with the sale up, either at anchor or while motoring.

They were a nice place to mount antennas and radar domes and if you are into flags and pennants there was room for them,but that is about it. When trawlers were just beginning to become popular they contributed to the "salty" look of the boat. Trawlers, in the official, early definition of the word had masts and booms aplenty to drag nets and plainer boards.

I removed mine several years ago. It is in my barn. I replaced it with a "stick" about six feet high. I do think of putting it back in place because I really do like the look of it but for the reasons mentioned, I think it will stay in my barn.

pete

Bruce, I know they made a big thing about there not being teak over the fibreglass, and just a clean non-skid deck surface in the new Evolution series as they called the new Clipper range. However, I guess the deck did still need a core to stiffen it, and in the case you describe, they didn't use a synthetic core, but teak blocks. I suspect someone along the years committed the no-no of piercing the upper fibreglass layer with some fitting or other, and hey presto, they recreated the issue that was the downfall of all our earlier models, which suffered ingress of water through the screw-holes they used to fix down the nice-looking teak strips. However, once repaired and re-cored, (probably with a synthetic type this time), the boat you refer to will still be a great vessel. :)
Today I spoke to the shipwright doing the job. The bow section affected, incl above the cabin, was a fiberglass finish, no exposed teak in the fwd walkway section. However, it was worse than I thought. The offcuts under the fiberglass were not teak, they were non marine plywood. There was no glue/ resin joining them. There were gaps between the ply bits. It was wet and it was a mess. No idea what it cost, owner was expecting $30K last time we spoke. Otherwise a lovely boat, single Cummins, thrusters both ends. Owner self surveyed it at time of purchase!

Chung Hwa, CHB, Ponderosa, Lien Hwa, Marine Trader & more, they are all pretty much the same
...all made in Kaohsiung Taiwan.
Here's is a GB 42 wide body After Cabin. Her after deck & master cabin are so much bigger than a regular 42!
5641096-20160216213947587-1-XLARGE.jpg

5641096-20160216213939663-1-XLARGE.jpg

When we were moving up, knew exactly what we wanted.
We had about 10 must haves...
Twin diesel,
Minimum 15 knot cruise,
Flybridge,
Full walk around bed w/ both night stand,
House size fridge,
2 heads,
Gen set,
10 ppl drink cockpit/aft deck.
I suggest you to get your priority list together.

Chung Hwa, CHB, Ponderosa, Lien Hwa, Marine Trader & more, they are all pretty much the same
Here's is a GB 42 wide body After Cabin. Her after deck & master cabin are so much bigger than a regular 42!

5641096-20160216213939663-1-XLARGE.jpg

When we were moving up, knew exactly what we wanted.
We had about 10 must haves...
Twin diesel,
Minimum 15 knot cruise,
Flybridge,
Full walk around bed w/ both night stand,
House size fridge,
2 heads,
Gen set,
10 ppl drink cockpit/aft deck.
I suggest you to get your priority list together.

you forgot to add :- and climbing up a fireman's ladder from the duck board when accessing the boat from dinghy/tender

One last thing, I never owned a boat before in my life
So the advise based on your experience is should I go for the smallest and youngest boat or early 80s are not that old after all if the boat has been looked after?
Since you have never owned a boat in your life I won't suggest any particular model as you don't have any experience from which to draw on.
You have stated that you have a family of 4 so that is a big component when deciding on a "family boat." If I were in your shoes and knowing what I know now, I would go for the smallest, youngest, twin engine boat that satisfies all your wants & wishes. Make and model....you'll know it when you see it!

you forgot to add :- and climbing up a fireman's ladder from the duck board when accessing the boat from dinghy/tender

Haha that is funny LoL.
Yup fireman's ladder on that GB AC I posted.
My AC has a only 3 rung ladder on her transom or is it 2?

Don't limit yourself to Dockwise. They are the premier shipper and charge accordingly.
There are others like United Yacht Transport.
Also there are small operators who consolidate yachts shipped as in hold or deck cargo on bulk carriers.
Try local marine freight forwarders.
Good reputation locally https://ravenmarine.ca/yacht-shipping/yacht-shipping
Don't worry about names, how boat has been looked after and repairs made is what counts.
They all have leaks, CHB's get bad rap, but GB's can have leaks too and usual teak deck leaks where screwed down.
Look at the boat, does it please you?
Does it please your spouse?
If yes to above read up all you can, then get a broker to act as your advisor and he will contact other broker and arrange viewing. You want to see engines started cold noting how long it takes for smoke to stop. Spend couple hours looking behind cabinet drawers under bunks looking for signs of water leaks, crawling in bilges, engine room and turn on every light, pump, fridge, navigation equipment. Don't to forget to test windless. Dont ask why i know!
If boat is still a yes, make offer with subjects and some kind of formula to address deficiencies that will found in your survey.
If you have come to price agreement its time to
arrange for hull survey and engine survey.
If still a yes time for sea trial. This is you last chance to say No.
Welcome to yacht ownership.

Don't limit yourself to Dockwise. They are the premier shipper and charge accordingly.
There are others like United Yacht Transport.
Also there are small operators who consolidate yachts shipped as in hold or deck cargo on bulk carriers.
Try local marine freight forwarders.
Good reputation locally https://ravenmarine.ca/yacht-shipping/yacht-shipping
Don't worry about names, how boat has been looked after and repairs made is what counts.
They all have leaks, CHB's get bad rap, but GB's can have leaks too and usual teak deck leaks where screwed down.
Look at the boat, does it please you?
Does it please your spouse?
If yes to above read up all you can, then get a broker to act as your advisor and he will contact other broker and arrange viewing. You want to see engines started cold noting how long it takes for smoke to stop. Spend couple hours looking behind cabinet drawers under bunks looking for signs of water leaks, crawling in bilges, engine room and turn on every light, pump, fridge, navigation equipment. Don't to forget to test windless. Dont ask why i know!
If boat is still a yes, make offer with subjects and some kind of formula to address deficiencies that will found in your survey.
If you have come to price agreement its time to
arrange for hull survey and engine survey.
If still a yes time for sea trial. This is you last chance to say No.
Welcome to yacht ownership.

Thats great “how to”, thanks heaps. Will request quotes from the companies you recommend and lets see.

I am pretty easy to please, boatwise. Although I get more stubborn and opinionated as I age.

There is one boat feature which would be an instant deal breaker for us. A mandatory ladder! It's a "NO Sale" for us.

The photos of the Grand Banks are beautiful. What a fantastic boat! Although it looks like you could , maybe, board near the side access doors, that aft ladder ends the deal for me.

Silverton's are also very nice boats. Their lack of side decks and all the steps and ladders just won't work for me.

How do you carry groceries, water, pets, kids, lunch, charts and binoculars, snacks etc. up ladders?

pete

Hi Again, your former boat Elandra just been discounted by $50k , now it is under $200k , sound like a great price now, what do you think?

Hi Again, your former boat Elandra just been discounted by $50k , now it is under $200k , sound like a great price now, what do you think?

That sounds quite good actually Jiri, and even if it might be a bit dodgy crossing the Tasman with her on her own bottom, shipping her over would probably only be about half the $50k the price has been dropped. However, if you contemplate bringing a boat over to NZ from here, take care to explore all possible issues, like sales tax. I didn't, when I brought my Gazelle over here from NZ, and none of our other possessions were taxed, in this country anyway, even though I had owned her for 5 years, I got hit with the new boat sales tax. Not sure how NZ would treat such a venture, but worth checking, as it might end up a deal-breaker - but on the other hand, might not..? Good luck with that. :)

That sounds quite good actually Jiri, and even if it might be a bit dodgy crossing the Tasman with her on her own bottom, shipping her over would probably only be about half the $50k the price has been dropped. However, if you contemplate bringing a boat over to NZ from here, take care to explore all possible issues, like sales tax. I didn't, when I brought my Gazelle over here from NZ, and none of our other possessions were taxed, in this country anyway, even though I had owned her for 5 years, I got hit with the new boat sales tax. Not sure how NZ would treat such a venture, but worth checking, as it might end up a deal-breaker - but on the other hand, might not..? Good luck with that. :)

Yes i know the procedure in NZ, there will be 5% duty and 15% GST from the whole amount to be paid. So basically another 20% to the cost. As much as i like Elandra and the price tag is now much more attractive i am not sure my first ever boat should be 46’. I am trying to get on board with someone or even hire a boat for a day or weekend first before such a big investment.

Kinda complicates the stern docking access.

hello richard, looking at the seaquest, have questions if you don't mind, thanks, jimeg

Back
Top Bottom