JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
RE: Deciding which boat to buy

Quote:
Susan wrote:
Does anyone think it is imperative to have a flybridge?* We will be cruising in the Northwest.

When we were in the looking stage we looked at several Nordic Tugs as well as American 34.

We were at the boat show and the N Tug dealer told us that even if we bought a* Nordic with a bridge he would insist that before we left his yard we knew how to back her into a slip from the lower helm.* That was where he though it should be done from bridge or no bridge.

Hope that helps.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #22

The Sabre 36 we are considering is the sedan flybridge model.* The Nordic does not have the flybridge, but we are in the Northwest and think we may be able to do without, if the visibility is good enough for docking below.
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #23

From your photo I'm wondering if that is Mainship?* or not.* That would be another choice possibly.* Any comments on that one?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Susan wrote:

The Sabre 36 we are considering is the sedan flybridge model.* The Nordic does not have the flybridge, but we are in the Northwest and think we may be able to do without, if the visibility is good enough for docking below.
Susan, the 36' Sabre flybridge sedan is a very livable boat.* Many have the extended roof that covers the cockpit.* It is nice to walk out onto the "back porch" The Mainship 35 had that also.* The Sabre will make a good turn of speed.* Enclosing the cockpit with Isenglass extends the living space in most all weather.

I like the pilot house on the tug, but it would be hard to give up that covered cockput.* Just depends on your style of cruising.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:49 AM   #25
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Susan wrote:Does anyone think it is imperative to have a fly-bridge?* We will be cruising in the Northwest.
I don't... but there are many who love their fly bridges.

Now that I know where you will be cruising, I'd listen to some of our PNW member's
opinions. Carey & Marin come to mind but there are plenty of others. If I cruised
up there, the Nordic would serve me fine as I don't like canvass and isinglass.
The cockpit is a little small for my taste but the boat was designed
for the PNW.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #26
Per
Guru

dont think flybridge is imperative, especially PNW.
one vs two engines depends how deep your pockets are.
perhaps look at one of the Mainship models, they are great boats and fairly fast/economical in the one engine configuration.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:00 PM   #27
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Susan wrote:Does anyone think it is imperative to have a fly-bridge?* We will be cruising in the Northwest.
I don't... but there are many who love their fly bridges.

Now that I know where you will be cruising, I'd listen to some of our PNW member's
opinions. Carey & Marin come to mind but there are plenty of others. If I cruised
up there, the Nordic would serve me fine as I don't like canvass and isinglass.
The cockpit is a little small for my taste but the boat was designed
for the PNW.

SusanWe've discussed this issue before, but here I go again. Speaking stricktly for myself, I would not have a flybridge requirement for any boat of mine, but if in my search for a boat I found one that met all my expectations, and had a flybridge, I would buy it. That is if it did not insult the design of the boat. You will certainly find more N37's without the flybridge on the used market as well. We have a flybridge, and we use it a little, but really wouldn't miss it. However, I do know many folks in the NW that use theirs a lot.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #28
Scraping Paint

City: -
Deciding which boat to buy

Quote:
Susan wrote:

Does anyone think it is imperative to have a flybridge?* We will be cruising in the Northwest.
Most cruiser-type boats in the PNW have flying bridges if for no other reason than the manufacturer included them to make the boat appeaing in as many markets as possible.* A lot of people in the PNW use them.* But...... if one likes driving from a flying bridge (we don't) and prefers it to the lower helm it is imperative to have the flying bridge fully enclosed and heated if one intends to use the boat year round up here.* The most common means of doing this is with a canvas enclosure with clear, flexible windows.* And even if the boat is not going to be used year round, an enclosed flying bridge is still a good idea because even in July we can get chilly, if not cold, weather.* And rain is a year round proposition up here.* The best boating months (in my opinon) are April, May, June, and September.* All four of these months can see pretty cold weather and of course, the ever-present rain and wind.

It is very rare in my observation to see a boat with a flying bridge up here that is run from the flying bridge without a full enclosure.

My personal opinion is there is only one recreational boat configuration that is truly ideal for the PNW and that is the pilothouse configuration.* This elevates the helm position for better visibility yet the helmsman is out of the weather (canvas protects you only so much) and is in a position to be aware by sound, feel, and smell to what's going on in the engine room.

I think pilothouse boats like the Nordic Tug are far more aesthetic without a flying bridge.* However there area a few designs--- Fleming and Krogen come to mind--- that incorporate a flying bridge into their pilothouse design that does not detract from the boat's lines because the sides of the flying bridge are very low and blend into the lines of the pilothouse.* Other boats, like the Nordic Tugs that have had big flying bridges grafted on top of their pilothouses, I think look top heavy and awkward.* And when you add the almost mandatory full enclosure (for our region) to the flying bridge of a Nordic Tug the boat begins to look downright ridiculous in* my opinion.* Aesthetically.* Functionally it's probably just great.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 06:31:47 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #29
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Quote:
Marin wrote:

*to the flying bridge of a Nordic Tug the boat begins to look downright ridiculous in* my opinion.* Aesthetically.* Functionally it's probably just great.

I'm with you on all points but the last.

I think you run into a lot of windage and even with a full keel you can get blown around a bit.

But hey you could be right on all counts.

*the windage is only really going to come into play when trying to get her into her slip.

*sd
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #30
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

All fly bridge boats are in the "ice cream boat" category.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #31
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

I think of a flybridge as cheap real estate. You already have a hull and propulsion system. It adds footage within the existing "foot print" of the vessel. We have a flybridge and it is where everyone wants to be while cruising in our climate.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Forkliftt wrote:

We have a flybridge and it is where everyone wants to be while cruising in our climate.
Good point.* I have said why we don't believe in running the boat from a flying bridge, but that does not alter the fact that it is a very popular place for guests we have taken on cruises to hang out.* The venturi does a reasonable job of keeping the wind off them and even on cold-ish days we've had guests who spent most of an entire run each day*up there.* We have a portable GPS plotter that we can put in a mount up there so they can see where we're at and there is an intercom between the helm station and the flying bridge if they have questions or whatever.* And once we get to where we're going it's a nice place to sit and watch things.

So in that respect*we're glad the boat has a flying bridge.* In terms of actually operating the boat it is of no value to us.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:27 AM   #33
FF
Guru

"very popular place for guests "

Usually guests want to SEE the water , and sadly few boats can have a great crowd handling view from inside or a tiny cockpit , so up on the roof is the best view of water.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #34

City: Southampton
Vessel Name: ANDROMEDA
Vessel Model: MAINSHIP 400

My boat looks like a wedding cake.
SOMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Quote:
SOMERS wrote:

My boat looks like a wedding cake.

Yes, it does.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:09 PM   #36

Someone wrote about a boat for sale in Florida, you said it was a good deal for this type of boat -- I lost the message.* What was it? Could someone re submit it for me? Thanks.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:57 AM   #37
FF
Guru

Go to Florida Mariner , a sales magazine and review all the boats , trawlers , commercial , and antiques to find your dream boat at 1/2? the PNW or New England price.

Its a buyers market!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #38

Thanks, FF.* Will do.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:21 PM   #39
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Another point I make about flybridges is that if your passages are going to be extended(even on a daily basis...ie 12 hour days), it is nice to be able to get some distance between you and whoever else is on your boat. I love my wife dearly. But it is kinda cool that she is able to lay down in the V-berth while I am running the boat on the flybridge and we expereince a little alone time even though we are only a few feet from each other.....jus sayin'!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:38 AM   #40
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

I love*our enclosed fly bridge. In the PNW it is a solarium in sunny weather above 40 degrees and is a great place to watch things from. For a dockside or anchor party it is the place to be. When the weather is crappy we just go "below." As Baker says, it gives escape space with a much better view than the ER.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote