Dear Diary - Weebles will splash soon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have brain cells to lose. I did send the same picture showing the water bubbling. In my opinion, they have a warranty process that is designed to protect their bottom line. In fairness, I bought the hatch late 2019 but with the screw ups with thr Hack Team and of course Covid, it was only installed a few months ago. Warranty expired a few months ago. They would offer zero insight as to what the issue might be except to send a video showing exactly where the leak is and they might help. It's a "gotcha" style of support model.

There is 0% chance I will reinstall a Lewmar hatch even if they sent a replacement, and there is 0% chance they will send a replacement. They offered zero tech support.

Hopefully the reseal that was installed today will work. Otherwise will go with the Manship TwistedTree mentioned.

Peter

The reseal will work, until it fails again, but that is due to the method used by Lewmar. A flat object cooks in the sun, cools at night, the caulk is bound to separate sooner or later. On my GB I used a lot of Captain Tolley leak sealer, and it works, flows anywhere water can and then seals that small gap. Maybe keep a bottle on hand.

At least for the older versions, Bomar hatches are also a good quality option. There's one mounted in my foredeck and other than some crazing on the lens, it's still watertight and working just fine after 37 years. The seal is starting to look tired and I should replace it, but it doesn't leak.

We have 3 original Bomar hatches on our 1989 3888. One of the lenses had some cracks and was leaking. I had a new lens fabricated using the old lens as the template. I unscrewed the hinges leaving the base still on the boat. Followed BoatWorks Today video for resealing the lens to the frame using Dow Corning 795. 5 years later still perfect.

https://www.boatworkstoday.com/videos/re-sealing-a-boat-deck-hatch/

James

I just replaced a couple of older bomar units with new ones from vetus. The whole top is frameless. The only place it could leak is through the hinge and latch fasteners.

Thursday, Feb 2 2023. Launch Saturday. As in day ofter tomorrow. As in one day before my apartment is vacated because someone else moves in.

Water tanks were rinsed with various conococtions yesterday. My tanks are nicely configured for this type of work. Twin stainless steel tanks beneath the aft deck, separated by about 2-feet. Crossover at the bottom so that was removed and they can dump directly into a bilge and pumped overboard. Easy in, easy out. But still, I'll hold back a couple grand in payment until I get a final lab test done. Right now I have a cold so smell-buds are compromised. And I don't trust that anyway except for a coarse evavaluation.

Hold up right now is final install of stuff for Orlando (Victron Cerbo, seawater washdown, horn and hailer). He's been a bit MIA the last day or so. Orlando does not work directly for Guillermo/La Costa but rather is a contractor who is also located in the same yard and who's work is 70% dependent on Guillermo. So I gently reminded Guillermo that Orlando was the hold-up right now (I did not re-remind him that Sunday is deadline, and any delay would cost him dearly).

PICTURES

1. Trim Ballast. This is about 200lbs of lead pigs that was beneath the starboard side deck. It would have been placed shortly after launch in 1970. I had it moved to the forward bilge area that used to have concrete ballast until I had it removed - about 800lbs - and replaced with lead ingots. At the time, I only found about 400lbs of lead so am a bit short, but will keep a spare anchor, prop, and chain rode so should be close. My thinking is to start the trim-ballast process from scratch given all the changes I've made.
Trim Ballast.jpg

2. Move Kitchen Sink drain thru-hull. I found this while I was searching for the leak that landed water in the engine room (which remains unresolved). The drain for the kitchen sink had been routed about 8-feet forward; and relatively flat run so very likely to have residual water sit in it. And stink. I don't remember how this decision was made - was probably one I made via text a long time ago because there was a thru-hull available and I didn't realize the implications. But since these guys are so fast with fiberglass work, I decided to have the thru-hull moved. Probably cost $100 in labor.
Kitchen SInk Thruhull moved.jpg

3. Lazarette Hatch drain. The sole of the aft deck has a hatch cover. The cover fits snugly and is gasketed, but there is a small channel and drain to evacuate small amounts of accumulated water. Unfortunately, there is nothing attached to the hole. Will be plumbed today.
Laz Drain.jpg

4. Watermaker plumbing. Years ago I bought this 170gpd watermaker from the owner of a Nordhavn 57 I delivered to Florida. He was a knowledgeable owner and I have no idea why he chose such a small unit, but his loss was my gain. Was a bitch to get back home, and I installed it. Not the watermaker I'd chose, but given I discounted my delivery fee something like $200, it's what I have. Well, I've forgotten how the plumbing goes so it's on the "Pete's Project List." The overboard discharge waste thru-hull had been covered over so was re-installed yesterday.
Watermaker.jpg

5. Engine Room. I have a ton of pictures of the Engine Room, but not a nice one. Picture is from the forward part of the engine room - I am resting on the generator. Stabilizers are outboard of the generator so out of view. For a 12-foot beam 36-foot boat that carries 450-gallons of diesel in saddle tanks and stabilizers, it's pretty orderly. The port side tank (right side of photo) has a plywood wall in front of it to mount various electrical gear. LFP batteries (600ah at 12V) and inverter are in the Lazarette, as is the watermaker. The water heater was also moved to the Lazarette, between the water tanks. A LOT of stuff was moved out of the Engine Room to make it more accessible. Now I just need to lose the weight I gained by spending 20-years on travel/expense account, with Covid being the "Cherry on Top"......
Engine Room.jpg

Guillermo must really be laid back and trusting. launch on Saturday before being paid in full. Sure would not happen here. Pay or stay on the hard and add daily rate would be the answer.

2. Move Kitchen Sink drain thru-hull. I found this while I was searching for the leak that landed water in the engine room (which remains unresolved). The drain for the kitchen sink had been routed about 8-feet forward; and relatively flat run so very likely to have residual water sit in it. And stink. I don't remember how this decision was made - was probably one I made via text a long time ago because there was a thru-hull available and I didn't realize the implications. But since these guys are so fast with fiberglass work, I decided to have the thru-hull moved. Probably cost $100 in labor.
View attachment 135640

Wait... what? When did your hull turn blue? As of 1/29 it was still white with gray trim...

??

:)

I think your ER looks purty darn good!

-Chris

I think your ER looks purty darn good!

Seconded! I wish my ER looked that neat and organized. And seeing this makes me want to start painting the factory grey in my ER to white or at least a lighter grey.

Peter, the engine room looks great, I am surprised you have that much room still in there with how well equipped your vessel is. I couldn't even bring myself to call it a boat.

I painted part of my bilge and area with the bilgekote gray, I really wish I had gone with white.

Guillermo must really be laid back and trusting. launch on Saturday before being paid in full. Sure would not happen here. Pay or stay on the hard and add daily rate would be the answer.

He has further recourse if needed. Unlike US, in most countries (certainly Central/Latin America), Port Captain is a very important position, and movements of boats is closely tracked. You must obtain a Zarpe to clear-out, even to another Mexican destination (or are supposed to). If needed, Guillermo could quickly jam-up my departure. El Capitania del Puerto is roughly akin to USCG level authority meaning that in the US, skipping out on a yard bill is a civil matter. In Mexico, it's well above that.

But to address your comment, there is a fair amount of trust on both sides. With Guillermo, I have yet to find even a yellow flag - he has 'owned' everything and as often as not, brought any mistake to my attention. With Mario at the Hack Team, I should have cut him loose before I did. There were a few tiny things that should have given me more insight into his character. My mistake.

Peter

Peter, the engine room looks great, I am surprised you have that much room still in there with how well equipped your vessel is. I couldn't even bring myself to call it a boat.

I painted part of my bilge and area with the bilgekote gray, I really wish I had gone with white.

It's amazing how much room you can free-up if you move a water heater, inverter, and six 6v batteries out of the engine room. I also relocated the hydraulic tank for the stabilizers into a corner above one of the stabilizer actuators. And I also re-designed the exhaust to give more room. Before, it was difficult to access the port side of the engine. It's still tight, but workable.

I friend painted his Perkins white. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Especially with color-matching Victron on the sideboard.

Peter

I love a pure white engine room. It make it so much easier to work on things because it is better lit. Yours is a beauty.

I am fortunate as Puffin's is all gelcoat.

Attachments

• Puffin ER.jpg
    Puffin ER.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 30
Very inspiring work here. Wow... Good job op

I am fortunate as Puffin's is all gelcoat.
Looks great. I forgot that my old W30 had a gelcoat engine room.

Truth is while my engine room looks great in the picture, there's a fair amount of sloppy over-paint on hoses and such. Much better than it was, and certainly brighter with white and 6 LED overhead lights. But it's a 6 out of 10.

Peter

Friday, February 3rd 2023. Musings on diesel and victory - Weebles will launch tomorrow.

I spent the day calibrating the sight gauges for the fuel tanks, at least the first 100 gallons of the 400-500 gallon capacity of the twin saddle tanks. Willard spec’d tankage to be 500 gallons, but truth is, I don’t know what the absolute capacity is. I believe it’s in the neighborhood of 450-gallons.
I’ve decided that calibrating fuel tanks is really an owner’s task, sort of like packing your own parachute. I have four 20-liter (5.3 gal) fuel jugs but I really want the calibration in gallons, not liters. So I had each filled to 19-liters (5-gals). With four jugs and a goal of 100-gals marked in 10-gal increments, result was an all-day event to get pesos, get fuel, haul fuel, load fuel, mark sight gauge, rinse/repeat. I was pretty careful but my jeans still had a slight diesel odor yesterday evening. Ah….the bachelor life! Seat-up!

Since this list is overwhelmingly male, I'll digress a bit: I sorta like the smell of diesel impregnated Levis. I wouldn’t admit if Cheryll were here, but I do. I’m reminded of the scene in Apocalypse Now “I love the smell of Napalm in the morning.” Most folks know that line – but a few sentences later, Duval says “You know why I like the smell? It smells like Victory!” In a small way, diesel-jeans means victory for me too.
scene from Apocalypse Now

PICTURES - a bit lean today

1. The Mysterious Leak. Recall, after heavy rain, a small mount of water accumulated in the engine room. Identification and cure has been elusive – Alberto was sure it was from the flybridge (I was not confident). While I was siphoning diesel into the portside deck-fill, I had some time to let my mind wander. The Shore Power inlet is forward on the port side (see picture below) and it caught my eye that it didn’t look like there was any bedding. Turns out there wasn’t – but here’s the rub: This is not a Hack Team screw-up, it was a La Costa install. Alberto will do a fire-hose test tomorrow but I’m hopeful the leak is found. Fingers crossed.
Shore Power Cord Inlet.jpg

2. Fueling at the Arco Station. Finding a station with diesel was a bit more difficult than anticipated - I'd guess less than 10% of the service stations have diesel. Diesel was remarkably expensive - $4.75/gal (USD). Price of gas/diesel seems to lag US by about a 2-3 months so it's now at a peak. I bought 100 gals yesterday in five batches which took about 6-hours total (including a run for pesos).
Arco Station.jpg

When I left San Francisco back in the Trump administration, my fuel was really dodgy - smelled like linseed oil, and looked like Myers Rum. As someone on my diesel-in-water-tank thread said, sometimes "dilution is the solution." So I bought a small siphon and found that putting on fuel this way was much less messy, albeit pretty slow.
Fueling on Side Deck.jpg

So why not just put on enough fuel to get to a fuel dock, especially since its about the same price? Several reasons. First, my hope is I can get the 50-gals per side more accurate with a short hose and such. Second, I should be at 20%-25% full so can get an ideal on trim. Finally, with 50-gals on each side, I can easily transfer and filter fuel and mark each tank to 100-gals.

Last edited:
$4.75 is still cheaper than land diesel here. Most here are in the $5.40 - $5.50 range, cheapest I've seen is around $5.25.

$4.75 is still cheaper than land diesel here. Most here are in the $5.40 - $5.50 range, cheapest I've seen is around $5.25.

Sticker shock I guess. I don't know what I was expecting - exchange rate has dipped recently and gas prices have crept up a bit at the same time. But still, touching $500 to put on 20%-25% of my fuel capacity was a bit stunning. Maybe because many other things are pretty inexpensive here.

I know I can't expect crocodile tears from y'all given 100 gals will almost get me to Cabo San Lucas 700nms away. But still, $500 was a surprise.

You know it's bad when the Willard crowd are complaining about price of diesel.....

Peter

Saturday, February 4. Today's the day. Weebles will launch.

Yesterday was a hive of activity - last minute buffing of the hull and cabin sides, correcting small items, some paint patching, etc. The last item to be installed is the aft-deck wash down outlet with hose.

Oh.....and the water tanks (recall, diesel contamination) continue to be rinsed with alternating courses of enzyme solution that was circulated for a couple hours, then Simple Green circulated for a couple hours, the fresh water rinse, then dilute chlorine solution, and a final fresh water rinse. I'm actually pretty hopeful but will be using bottled water until I can get a lab test.

PICTURES

1. Weebles has been tagged. Why San Francisco you ask? Corny as it sounds, it's sort of where her heart is. I bought Weebles about a year after I met Cheryll, and SF was a really big part of my life back then. I worked in Tech during the first dot-com roller coaster, started my relatively brief career as a delivery skipper, and lived aboard Weebles there, with Cheryll and two cats for a while. I rationalize keeping her as San Francisco because back then, when you documented a vessel, you did so at the nearest USCG station --- and that was your flagged port. Nowadays nobody cares - could be Missoula MT for all anyone cares.
Weebles on Stern.jpg

2. Water Tank Rinse. First pic is Gerardo down in the Lazarette doing penance for having dumped 45g of diesel into my water tank. He was there all day rinsing with various chemicals. Time will tell how successful it was.
Cleaning water tanks.jpg

As mentioned previously, tanks are well configured for this type of rinse/drain activity. They are twin saddle tanks separated by about 2-feet. Pulling the crossover hose and opening the valves lets them drain directly into a bilge area and then easily pumped overbard.
Water Tanks drain from DIesel.jpg

3. Detailing and loading gear. First pic is the gear loaded into my Toyota Matrix. The sewing machine and stuff will stow beneath the V-berth and is first to go onto the boat. In the back near the drivers seat are my spares and some tools in numbered bins tracked via Excel spreadsheet. And of course tons of lines.
Gear in Toyota.jpg

Of course, finding places for everything is always a chore.
Getting gear organized.jpg

Finishing touches including detailing galley range and putting the cover on the RIB.
Galley being detailed.jpg
Dink covered.jpg

If you can find ethanol that hasn’t been adulterated a final rinse of your fresh water tank with it would be helpful. Both water and hydrocarbons dissolve in ETOH so that last little bit of smell and taste would rinse out.

If you can find ethanol that hasn’t been adulterated a final rinse of your fresh water tank with it would be helpful. Both water and hydrocarbons dissolve in ETOH so that last little bit of smell and taste would rinse out.
Thanks. Very helpful. I think so eone mentioned this on the other thread I started specifically on diesel in water tank contamination but frankly I had forgotten.

Peter

Sort of near-real-time stream. TravelLift has been backed into place. Weebles will be lifted and the pads where support blocks were will be bottom painted. Several last minute items. I was going through the box of stuff at Guillermos shop and found a Simrad ethernet expansion box. Had been forgotten to be installed. Needed for radar overlay and such.

I realize something I knew from my management consulting days. I worked on IT transformation projects that were expensive and disruptive. Client team was very nervous and stressed. I used to say "your crunch time is just SOP for us." I'm now thr client. Mix of stress and excitement.

Alberto said I should take some pictures. Pretty sure that's a very nice way of saying "get out of the way...."

She should launch in a couple hours. 20230204_090032.jpg20230204_085557.jpg

On the pictures thing, I always make a point to take a few pictures of the haul / launch process. Boat in the slings, blocking setup, etc. It provides good reference for future haulouts as far as "what did we do last time?" and some reference points for how the boat fit in the lift, where slings were placed, etc. if we want or need to do something different the next time.

I will second that. I had a similar mess, 5 gal diesel into my water tank.

Luckily my tank was aluminum. Lucky I thought to shut off the crossover hose to the other tank.

After many rinses and a DAWN wash and more rinses I could just detect the Dawn.
One gallon of ethyl alcohol into a final run and rinse and NO more taste.

I then changed the affected hoses. To boot that tank is CLEAN and no more hazy water after a rough run.

And wishes for a good trip.

Last edited:
Everything looks great! Excited for you!

I forgot what your cruising plans are?

Back
Top Bottom