Custom made propane hose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodscrew

Vessel Name
Northern Star
Vessel Make
Bristol 42 1970
I’ll be replacing my 50 year old Princess electric stove/oven with a propane Dickinson Mediterranean 3 burner stove/oven this summer. Am laying out where the propane locker/tanks are going, how the hose will run, what mods will have to be done to make the stove fit, etc. It’s going to be about a 35’ run from the tank to the stove. It will have to be custom made and I would like to use the hose with the stainless steel braided cover for chafe protection. Anyone know a source for getting this made?

3/8" copper tubing. Flare fittings for the ends and a short piece of hose to connect on both ends. I ran the tubing in a piece of 1/2" reinforced water hose for protection with a bunch of clamps to secure it.

Greeting,
Mr. S. I think recommended installation of gas lines is tank directly to appliance with no other connections. NOT saying your set up is wrong, just not best practice.

Mr. RT Very true .

My stove isn't gimballed , it's just a 3 burner cooktop, so I used the hard tubing right to it's connection. But, I believe a gimballed stove would need a flexible piece of hose or all hose.

You can have multiple connections in the propane locker with a run directly to each appliance.

The ABYC is a great guide and should be followed. But now I always wonder about the multiple propane connections in my house basement.

Cheers !

Last edited by a moderator:
Greeting,
Mr. S. I think recommended installation of gas lines is tank directly to appliance with no other connections. NOT saying your set up is wrong, just not best practice.

Mr. RT Very true .

My stove isn't gimballed , it's just a 3 burner cooktop, so I used the hard tubing right to it's connection. But, I believe a gimballed stove would need a flexible piece of hose or all hose.

You can have multiple connections in the propane locker with a run directly to each appliance.

The ABYC is a great guide and should be followed. But now I always wonder about the multiple propane connections in my house basement.

Cheers !

I was looking at a boat that ran one propane hose from the locker to a box 3 feet from the stove. In that box was a T fitting with one leg to the stove and one to a marine approved propane forced air heater. In the box with the junction was a propane sniffer that was attached to a shut off valve in the propane locker. This is not to ABYC standards but I really couldn't see why this was unsafe. The same boat had a propane sniffer below the stove and below the forced air heater as well as one in each bilge compartment.

Sure Marine Service in Seattle will make up a line for you. Take a look at their page on gas lines.

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Galley/Propane-Hose-and-Fittings/

Just tell the tech how long, what type fittings and you need something (look at webpage) for chafe.

Great advice, I bought stove, furnace, hoses and everything I needed to safely install it all. I ran separate propane lines to each device from their own propane tank and have separate fume detector/controls for each device. That was 10 years ago and haven't regretted anything of the install.

I was looking at a boat that ran one propane hose from the locker to a box 3 feet from the stove. In that box was a T fitting with one leg to the stove and one to a marine approved propane forced air heater. In the box with the junction was a propane sniffer that was attached to a shut off valve in the propane locker. This is not to ABYC standards but I really couldn't see why this was unsafe. The same boat had a propane sniffer below the stove and below the forced air heater as well as one in each bilge compartment.

I agree and like that install. Only issue I see, not sure multiple sensors can operate one solenoid.

I agree and like that install. Only issue I see, not sure multiple sensors can operate one solenoid.

The way it was set up any sensor could trigger the solenoid and the sensors would activate off of any combustible vapor not just propane.

The way it was set up any sensor could trigger the solenoid and the sensors would activate off of any combustible vapor not just propane.

Then that is an ideal install.

I went though this with some gyrations on our boat. A typical install uses 3/8 propane-rated hose. The trouble is that it's BTU capability drops off over distance the longer the hose length. If the run is more than maybe 10-15', you might not be able to fully operate the appliance. Depends on the appliance, of course, but this needs to be considered for anything other than a short run. It's a pretty good run from our tanks to our grill, and it ended up requiring a 3/4" copper line. I think that was a touch over-kill, but the point is that a 3/8" hose wasn't going to even come close.

They're hydrocarbon sensors, not really specific to propane. A leaking paint can set mine off once. Not a bad thing, after the BOOM you're not going to care what flavor of gas did it.

Like most specific purpose products, USCG approved propane hose will have the approval marked on the hose.

If there is room old hyd hose makes a great chase to run the new hose.

Be sure to specify swivels at both ends of the propane hose.

If you can fit it in the outside box a T fitting with a leg pointing down will collect oil and dirt found in refilled 20# bottles.

Back
Top Bottom