Collision and demasting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Don L

Guru
A sailboat story. But if it had been a trawler etc the top of the boat would have been ripped off.

It was Dec 30, 2023. 8:30pm with a West wind of 5-10kn, seas of 1-2 feet from the West, clear conditions with no moon up yet. The boat was on a starboard reach tack with just the mainsail out with a reef still in from high wind earlier in day. We were doing 4 knots on a course of 165 magnetic with the autopilot steering and approximately 12 nm south of the St Augustine entrance and 2 nm offshore with approximate position of 29.667988 Latitude and -81.154310 Longitude.

My wife was on watch and been for about 20 minutes. I recall in the watch turnover telling her the course, speed, sails, that the autopilot was on and that visually there was no one around. She was sitting in the companionway under the dodger to be out of the cold wind and facing forward. As normal at night and alone she had her life vest/harness on and was tethered to the boat with the short tether at the companionway.

Suddenly she went “**** there is boat dead ahead coming at us”! I jumped up to come out to cockpit while she unclipped to get to the helm. She managed to get the autopilot off and start a turn starboard about the same time I got out to cockpit. Within 1 second of that the other boat, which turned out to be a commercial fishing boat, and our boat were alongside each other with barely any clearance. Our boat went under the fishing boats’ outrigger arms breaking our mast and tearing away all our rigging. Our boat became adrift with our mast and sails in the water on our starboard and the boom inboard on the starboard lifelines with the mainsail foot over the lines.

Once the initial shock passed, we checked that each of us was Ok and checked we were not taking on water and sinking. We both seemed OK, and the boat wasn’t taking on water. I went out on deck to determine the damage and to see what needed to be done. I recall noting our bow navigation light was on, which we also had verified operational earlier in the afternoon when we had turned it on. We noted that the fishing boat had stopped and it then came toward us to within shouting distance and asked if we were OK. We had a hard time hearing and understanding them. We attempted to call them on our backup handheld VHF and discovered its’ battery was dead and plugged it in.

I determined we had no choice other than to cut ourselves free of the sails and rigging and started doing this. I sent my wife down for some tools and flashlight and at that time the handheld VHF was charged enough that we heard the Coast Guard calling and my wife answered. We learned the fishing boat had called the accident in. After answering the standard questions from the CG my wife came back out on deck to help me. I commenced cutting running rigging lines and driving out pins on the standing rigging to get it free. Once I had that done the sails and rigging were still holding the boat as the boom was inboard with the sails draped across the lifelines.

I noticed Open Seas motoring up on our starboard side, which was where the rigging and sails were in the water and told them to back away so they would not get tangled up in the sails/rigging. They backed off, and then left us completely and motored away. We never were able to establish VHF communication with Open Seas and by the time we got ourselves free they were distance dot of light.

We tried to lift off the boom from the lifelines and also using a boat hook as a lever, but the weight was too much. I was finally able to free the boom from the mast and throw the mast, still attached to the mainsail, into the water. That reduced the weight of the boom/sail across the lifelines and we were able to lift it over the lines and it fell into the water and disappeared. During this the CG frequently called us to ask questions etc. and we finally told them we were not in any current danger and would call them once we were in a stable condition.

After the rigging and sails seemed clear to us, I shifted to securing our dinghy that was hanging by only 1 davit line and some ratchet straps. I found that the rear of the dinghy must have gotten caught on Open Seas and that a davit line clip had broken. I was able to lower the dinghy down and get into it and attach another line to temporally hold it safely. Once we had the dinghy back up, I started the engine and tried to slowly motor. I noted that we were not making speed and went back to neutral and sent my wife down to watch the shaft. I then motored away again making better speed but noticed a stay cable going overboard that was tight and determined it was still attached to the mast/rigging/sails. I was not able drive out the pins on the line and finally hacksawed through the turnbuckle and the sails/rigging assembly finally fell away. Overall, it took us 2 hours to get free and secure the dinghy.

After waiting a few minutes, I again tried to motor away and could tell we were free. The closest entrance was St Augustine and we proceeded to motor there and got to the entrance about 0200 on Dec 31 and were anchored near the Vilano Beach bridge at 0230. The next morning the CG was calling to come inspect the boat, but we put them off till later to be able to make it to Jacksonville in favorable currents and tides. We tied up in Jacksonville about 1600.

A couple of days later the CG came to inspect our boat and get our story. We told them the basic info above and that we didn’t really know how we didn’t see the other as we well maintaini9ng a watch the whole time. We told them maybe it was blocked by our mainsail, but that it was hard to believe as I hadn’t seen them while on watch 20 minutes prior or how we didn’t see till too late. They had already spoken with the fishing boat and told us its’ name was Open Seas who told them:

- They were fishing with their nets out doing 2 knots
- They didn’t see us on radar
- We didn’t have our lights on
- They tried to call us on the VHF
- We told them to leave

All I can say to that is:

-I don’t know if they had their nets out, but if they had we probably would’ve been caught it in. We were doing 4 knots and we appeared to close way faster than the 6 knots relative if they had been doing 2 knots.
-I cannot say anything about their radar. I would think a 41’ sailboat with solar panels up high and a large stern arch would be seen on radar.
-We are positive our running lights were on
-We discovered our hand-held VHF in the cockpit battery had died. But if they had just changed course instead of calling us and waiting a response, we would not have collided. Later we could not get them to answer our VHF calls.
-We didn’t tell them to leave. We did tell them to stay clear till we got the rig etc. free so they didn’t get fouled by it. They were long gone before we got free and knew we could still motor and control the boat.

In hindsight we really can only fully come up with 1 reason to not have seen them till the last moment. Given that on a clear night we can normally see a lit up commercial fishing boat for well over an hour, we must question if they were running dark. We saw no lights till right before the collision then they were highly lit up and if not for the small turn we managed seconds before the collision would have hit nose to nose.

Besides the mast and boom, all standing and running rigging and sails were lost. There is damage to our dodger and its’ frame was lost frame. We lost some aux anchor lights mounted on our solar panel frame and our Star Link antenna was ripped away. We must have hit Open Seas with our port stern quarter, and it knocked apart a section of the rub rail that covers the deck/hull joint. The deck also has a couple of compression cracks in that section and at same general area inside the boat there are a couple of cracked areas in the overhead liner. There may be additional damage that a better inspection will find.

We consider ourselves very lucky. The only injuries were some nicks and cuts to my hands and a badly bruised butt. We could have easily hit bow to bow and sunk. If Open Seas outrigger arms had been 6” lower, we probably would have been hit in the head as well as it would have hit our stern arch and ripped the rear deck off. Also, if not for a very slight angle to Open Seas the broken mast would have come down into the cockpit and right on us instead of off to the side. The sea conditions were calm, and the broken mast did not hole the hull and the sails did not get tangled up on our keel/rudder/prop

I am glad you are both alive and safe. Best of luck in sorting this out.

Thankfully everyone is OK.

Unfortunately these types of collisions have a lot of particulars when assigning blame if it goes there.

One thing I didn't catch, did you noticed the lights the fishing boat was exhibiting?

Don, so glad that you and your wife are relatively unharmed, and so sorry about all the damage to your boat. I hope your insurance does what insurance is supposed to do, but even so it's big crimp in your cruising plans.

Lots of questions come to mind about the actions of the fishing vessel, of course. You omitted any mention of radar on your sailboat, so presumably you operate without it, correct?

What a messed up ending to a 7-8 year run of full time cruising. My heart goes out to you and your wife. Goes without saying it could have been far worse, but it's pretty bad as-is.

Best regards. Stark reminder that stuff happens.

Peter

Glad both of you are ok. Thank your lucky stars and let the insurance companies handle it.

Great write up. Glad to hear that you are ok. Hope you have good insurance From the outside looking in the mishap would appear to be a typical he said she said. Hard to prove claims by either side. Neither party was keeping an adequate look out. Otherwise the accident never would have occurred. How “adequate ”and “proper” equate in the Coast Guards eyes is above my pay grade. Please keep us informed as to how things turn out. Again, happy that everyone is unharmed. Boats can be replaced.

If the fishing boat was being tracked (AIS or VMS) and there was a record of it's speed, pretty easy to confer it was fishing. If so I believe NAVRULE 18 makes sail vessels the give way vessel.

Even so, there is almost always distributed blame.

Last edited:
Glad you and your wife are ok!

Some thoughts:

Not exactly sure of your position relative to the fishing vessel, but it's quite easy to miss another vessel so close to shore when it's lights are mingling with the light polution coming from shore lights.

Radar reflectors (Note plural) should be standard operating equipment for offshore vessels with low structure. Not counting the mast(s) and sails, most sailboats are hard to see at night as cabin structure is close to the water, especially in significant seas, and white caps.

Illumination of your vessel and sails at night is important as most people standing watch become complacent looking for small running lights, hour after hour. Imo, illumination of the boat without seeing the those lights, is extremely helpful. I tend to leave on inside cabin lights and would think spreader lights that illuminate the sails would make you much more visible. Trying to spot a sailboat at night in seas with only a tricolor light on the top of the mast can be really difficult.

Not to beat a dead horse too much, but AIS and Radar really should be utilized for offshore night cruising.

Ted

Last edited:
One thing I didn't catch, did you noticed the lights the fishing boat was exhibiting?

The first we saw any lights were 10 sec before the collision with them bearing down on us. At the time they were fully lit with deck working lights etc. If they had those on earlier I would have seen them well over an hour prior. 20 min before we changed watches I told my wife there were no boats around us.

I bare blame because we collided. But it is hard to believe 2 different people would not have seen a lit up fishing boat at night well before they got any near us. My wife was facing forward the whole time.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first we saw any lights were 10 sec before the collision with them bearing down on us. At the time they were fully lit with deck working lights etc. If they had those on earlier I would have seen them well over an hour prior. 20 min before we changed watches I told my wife there were no boats around us.

I bare blame because we collided. But it is hard to believe 2 different people would not have seen a lit up fishing boat at night well before they got any near us. My wife was facing forward the whole time.

It can often be quite difficult to see deck lights on a fishing boat when it's coming 20 degrees either side of directly at you. This can be compounded by being low to the water versus elevated on a fly bridge.

It's also common to loose the boat deck lights when it changes course as only a small fraction or what you expect to see, is remaining.

Ted

Trawling is green over white.

Other than trawling is red over white.

Both Rule 26 NAVRULES.

Sorry to hear of your collision, Don, but at least good to hear you and your wife are OK.

How big a fishing boat was that? I see a documented Open Seas, but it's 39'...

-Chris

I am not really interested in debate. We saw NO lights of any kind for well over an hour that were anywhere near us. Then suddenly there was fishing boat lit up like cruise ship right in front of us.

Posting your incident in detail like you did would certainly cause a debate as posts rarely contain all the facts in one or two posts.

My experience says most fishing vessels underway often have their deck lights to load up their generator.... and as Ted pointed out they usually face aft and depending on the vessel may have been harder to see than some.

seeing through a dodger (and I like many here have many hours of that to as well as looking through flybridge vinyl and pilothouse glass).... often it's way more difficult to see through any of those.

Don...really sorry. Hope all works out. Glad your safe.

There was no problem seeing them when it was too late heading directly at us. 20 minutes before I was in the cockpit looking around from the helm and saw no lights near us.

If people want to say a lit up commercial fishing boat wasn't visible till they were a boat length away to us that is fine. I posted the events as it happened and the lights on/off are a he said/he said.

with only the main up your visibility should have been good looking forward. it's unknown how they were able to be unseen till too late. i can't imagine running dark while fishing, it doesn't make sense. must have just been a bad angle to see the deck lights and the running lights were obscured by your mast or seams in the dodger. i know it seems so unlikely, but i've been surprised a few times what could be hidden behind those things. very unfortunate indeed.
very sorry to hear of your trouble. this will undoubtably take a considerable amount of time to sort out. best of luck to you.

Don, I hope you'll share how it all works out with your insurance coverage when its all settled up. I am really curious as to how that will turn out. Hopefully you will be satisfied with the settlement. Good luck and glad you and your wife are ok, as opposed to the collision on another thread that resulted in a fatality.

i can't imagine running dark while fishing, it doesn't make sense. must have just been a bad angle to see the deck lights and the running lights were obscured by your mast or seams in the dodger.

What makes the most sense to me is they just forgot to turn on their running lights. They weren't fishing at the time. Just underway. OP had just changed watch and very likely had two people do a thorough scan of the horizon. No way to ever know of course.

The OP and wife has at least 7-8 years full time experience cruising full time in these waters. Cautionary tale. Experience can reduce risk, but not eliminate it.

Peter

It's not that uncommon for commercial fishing boats to run dark, some skippers are worried about giving up there fishing spots and or being tracked by the rest of the fleet.

Tough to speculate without complete details but I’m glad you survived it to tell the tale. FWIW I’ve often encountered unlit vessels fishing in areas they shouldn’t be fishing in. That’s a protected whale migration area not sure he should have been doing any fishing there. https://floridadep.gov/rcp/nerr-gtm

It's not that uncommon for commercial fishing boats to run dark, some skippers are worried about giving up there fishing spots and or being tracked by the rest of the fleet.

Having enforced fishing regs in the USCG and have plenty of time at sea, I have never seen a fishing vessel running dark, expecially 12 miles from a major training center for ICE boat crews, that is just inviting a hassel.

What makes the most sense to me is they just forgot to turn on their running lights. They weren't fishing at the time. Just underway. OP had just changed watch and very likely had two people do a thorough scan of the horizon. No way to ever know of course.

The OP and wife has at least 7-8 years full time experience cruising full time in these waters. Cautionary tale. Experience can reduce risk, but not eliminate it.

Peter

Again ....a fishing boat not lit up at sea is a pretty rare sight in my experience.... let alone not turning on running lights.

Did you ever forget hours after sunset on a delivery to turn them on?

Tough to speculate without complete details but I’m glad you survived it to tell the tale. FWIW I’ve often encountered unlit vessels fishing in areas they shouldn’t be fishing in. That’s a protected whale migration area not sure he should have been doing any fishing there. https://floridadep.gov/rcp/nerr-gtm

The incident happened offshore, not coastal, or marsh area.

Again, that cose to a heavily travelled area and the probability of being spotted with your lights off goes against my law enforcement experience.

Back
Top Bottom