Cargo Ship Breaks In Half

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You must be on the same FB Page as me! :D

Apparently they lost 6 of their 12 crew.

Apparently they lost 6 of their 12 crew.
Figured something nasty was happening when the pics ended and the sound continued. RIP.

Fortunately there were other boats close by and visible in the film.
Not to make light of the disaster, but John Clarke`s "The Front Fell Off" comes to mind.

The Pendleton all over again.

Someone was off on the math..... or too many years of corrosion.

In 1977, I took my salvage ship into Koror through the same long passage on the western side of the islands the Jap fleet used in WWII. UNBELIEVABLE that they could do so with those massive ships they had. We left via a very tiny passage out the eastern side which in retrospect I was crazy to accept as feasible from the pilot - it saved a full day-plus of steaming.

Locals took us on a saltwater crocodile hunt amongst the unique mushroom shaped islets, and we provided the M-14 rifle and M-79 grenade launcher. Nuff said 'bout that.

I had to look up Palau.

In 1977, I took my salvage ship into Koror through the same long passage on the western side of the islands the Jap fleet used in WWII. UNBELIEVABLE that they could do so with those massive ships they had. We left via a very tiny passage out the eastern side which in retrospect I was crazy to accept as feasible from the pilot - it saved a full day-plus of steaming.

Locals took us on a saltwater crocodile hunt amongst the unique mushroom shaped islets, and we provided the M-14 rifle and M-79 grenade launcher. Nuff said 'bout that.

According to my chief engineer son, when a ship needs plate work, it's ready for the breakers, as the cost of plate work is prohibitive.

My dad told of shooting crocs with a Thompson equipped with a 50-round magazine. I do not recall what island he said this was on. It would have been Guadalcanal, New Georgia, or Bougainvillea. He was an aviation ordinanceman assigned to maintaining and sometimes crewing (waist gunner) aboard PBYs.

Well that's just terrifying.

Would it be possible, if anchored in high winds, that with the rode so tight it would hold the bow down while a wave tries to lift it up, and thus cause this kind of failure ?

Would it be possible, if anchored in high winds, that with the rode so tight it would hold the bow down while a wave tries to lift it up, and thus cause this kind of failure ?

I'd say it's very unlikely. And on most of our boats, something else (anchor rode, roller, pulpit, etc.) would likely fail long before the hull.

According to my chief engineer son, when a ship needs plate work, it's ready for the breakers, as the cost of plate work is prohibitive.

Yep. They tried to squeeze it to the last drop and now they have blood on their hands.

Was standby until CG showed up while steel fishing trawler sank. Broke in half at the fish hold. Suspect similar here. Solid bulkhead with no limber holes so salt water collects in bilge at that spot and she rusts from the inside out. You see the decking holding the bow on.
Note where the life boat was. Launch might be complicated and crew access /launch further complicated by weather leading to 50% mortality. So sad that non Jones Act boats become weathered to point of being unseaworthy.

Back
Top Bottom