Old 12-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #1

City: washington DC
Vessel Name: Dark & Stormy
Vessel Model: Catalina 36 MKI
Are boat people the best?

We're on a long glide path to live aboard boat living. Having been a sailor since my teens (50's now), I can say that I've not met a kinder, friendlier bunch. Sailing days always yielded new friends, happy hours on various boats of people we had only just met, and a helping hand as needed. Now that we're on the trawler search trying to figure out the next phase, we've been inundated with kindness from folks on this forum and at marinas. We recently were welcomed aboard Catalina Jack by their gracious owners after our blind invitation request so we could understand the pros and cons of a DeFever. They never met us before, yet gladly showed us their gorgeous trawler and the fantastic work they had done. I was walking the docks at a marina we were staying in and struck up a conversation with the owners of Tuscan Sun, a beautiful KK48. They welcomed me aboard to walk through and hear their adventures.

I'm a health care professional. Granted I see people often at their worst, but if everyone were as kind and generous as this community is, the world would be a much better place. And health care providers wouldn't be fleeing.

Hoping I can repay the kindness to this community. First step is to thank everyone who has responded to my posts, offered insights, shared their knowledge, or invited us aboard to see first hand trawler life. Happy holidays...
proudsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #2
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Happy Holidays back at cha!

Tell us the general size, type and configuration of power vessel you seek. Also, how often and to where do you plan to cruise. Age of vessel, price range, cruise speed, power source, material composition?? Fill us in...

Photos always appreciated!

Happy Boat-Search Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Why should “boat people” be best?
Good that it’s not political tho.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:43 PM   #4
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudsailor View Post
We're on a long glide path to live aboard boat living. Having been a sailor since my teens (50's now), I can say that I've not met a kinder, friendlier bunch. Sailing days always yielded new friends, happy hours on various boats of people we had only just met, and a helping hand as needed. Now that we're on the trawler search trying to figure out the next phase, we've been inundated with kindness from folks on this forum and at marinas. We recently were welcomed aboard Catalina Jack by their gracious owners after our blind invitation request so we could understand the pros and cons of a DeFever. They never met us before, yet gladly showed us their gorgeous trawler and the fantastic work they had done. I was walking the docks at a marina we were staying in and struck up a conversation with the owners of Tuscan Sun, a beautiful KK48. They welcomed me aboard to walk through and hear their adventures.

I'm a health care professional. Granted I see people often at their worst, but if everyone were as kind and generous as this community is, the world would be a much better place. And health care providers wouldn't be fleeing.

Hoping I can repay the kindness to this community. First step is to thank everyone who has responded to my posts, offered insights, shared their knowledge, or invited us aboard to see first hand trawler life. Happy holidays...
Kind and friendly? You're obvious new to TF! LOL. Just kidding, glad to have you. There is a mix of all kinds of people here. Hard to say that we are the best people on earth. I guess we would need to be compared to some other groups to make that determination. I count myself among the "good guys". Not to get anyone riled up, but I tend to think sailboaters have an edge in the niceness category. Luckily, the majority of us started out as sailors.
Old 12-07-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Didcot UK
Vessel Name: Jarrow Lily
Vessel Model: Island Packet SP Cruiser
Before First Mate and I took to sailing in 2002 we were serious motorcycle racers.

Sailing and motorcycling have proved to be a delightful source of friends and aquaintances over the years.

We have come across a few who were best avoided, but most contact with boating and motorcycle folk are very positive.
Jarrow Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
Guru

+1 for motorcycle folks
Old 12-07-2021, 01:35 PM   #7
Art
Guru

As generally cool folks to cohabitate social settings with: I add Classic Muscle Car owners. Actually, owners of classic vehicles in general!!

Generally I find the owners of brand new very small-fast luxury type cars and brand new very small-fast luxury type boats the least adaptable to pleasantries in public!
Old 12-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Re: Post #4. "...sailboaters have an edge in the niceness category." Probably because they're sharing the same misery (little to no shelter in all kinds of adverse weather, "racing" along @ 5 knots because there's no wind or it's from the wrong direction, having to make a bridge schedule, living in a cave....I could go on)

And...Re: Post # 5. "We have come across a few who were best avoided." Well, the idea!!!

Old 12-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
Art
Guru

Some people are just plain grumpy!!
Old 12-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #10
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
It's a mixed bag as with most parts of life.

Many boaters seem to be nice considerate people, helping each other out, giving advice, offering tours, minimizing their impact on others in public shared spaces, et...

There's also a group of them that cut through the 5MPH zone with swimmers, kayakers and SUP's at 15 knots, waking the entire group and risking hitting someone they don't see soon enough, or the group of people that like to 'Sea Plow' every day with their 1400HP of engines, stern almost underwater, bow riding high sending a massive, breaking wake across the bay just because they can.

There's all kinds.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Re: Post #4. "...sailboaters have an edge in the niceness category." Probably because they're sharing the same misery (little to no shelter in all kinds of adverse weather, "racing" along @ 5 knots because there's no wind or it's from the wrong direction, having to make a bridge schedule, living in a cave....I could go on)

And...Re: Post # 5. "We have come across a few who were best avoided." Well, the idea!!!

Or sharing the same joy! It's a shame you never got to experience a good day of sailing. Agreed they are not all good, but when they are nothing compares to that on the water. You could probably be most comfortable sitting at home on your couch if that's your idea of a good time! lol
Old 12-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #12

City: lockhart
Trawlers wince at a good storm. Sailors rejoice when the wind picks up.

Differences, yes.

But when the trawler anchor sets next to sailor's anchor, a lot of rum and song can be shared.
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:41 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Are boat people the best?

Or do they just think they are?

I vote for all people who are enjoying the recreational or hobby activities they enjoy.

I've observed over time that people boating or swimming or even gardening for pleasure, traveling, playing tennis are typically so pleasant and often if you find out how they are in their work lives, on their jobs or in business, you're shocked and thinking surely not the same person. Get us away from our stressors and seems most people turn pretty nice.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:14 PM   #14

City: Bayport
Vessel Name: STELLA DI MARE
Vessel Model: 2006 MAINSHIP 34T
Our boat peeps here in NY

My wife and mysefl have a big boat family here in Fire Island NY ( DAVIS PARK)
Our summer weekend are always together on a fixed dock with all great ammenities. Our boat peeps are salt of the earth. We still gather during the winter talkin about great memories of past season , anticipatiting our spring launch and plans .......
Attached Thumbnails
DAVIS FAMILY.jpg  
SILENTKNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:55 PM   #15
Guru

City: Boston Area
I'd venture to say that people who are lucky enough to pursue their passions are content, and their dispositions reflect that.
Benthic2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:12 PM   #16
Art
Guru

Grateful = Glow of comfortably settled internal calm; often providing acceptance/patience and fun personality

Ungrateful = Unsettled, uncomfortable internal fire; too often empowering irritable personality
Old 12-07-2021, 10:24 PM   #17

City: lockhart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
I'd venture to say that people who are lucky enough to pursue their passions are content, and their dispositions reflect that.
+1
phillippeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #18

City: Ft. Lauderdale
It's not that boat people are the best, it's trawler people that are the best!

No, I'm not licking up here, but I have a different perspective wearing my broker's hat, maybe even my female broker's hat.

My first job, pretty much ever, was working as a broker on Fisher Island (the Florida exclusive residential island). I used to live on FI so I thought working for a brokerage that had just opened up there would be easy: sell megayachts to and for my old neighbors. Being one of them and working for them were two different stories. So then I went to work for Richard Bertram. My clients would typically be one guy with 2-3 of his fishing buddies tagging along. I thought shopping buddies for support, but I think it was mostly for an opportunity to use foul language and embarrass the broker. Occasionally a buyer would bring a wife whose only interest was to see how much storage the "kitchen" had.

Once I got a listing on my first trawler (1999), I was introduced not only to a new realm of yachts, but a new world of nice boaters. Typically my clients are couples, always not just polite and respectful, but appreciative. Clients who leave their egos and bad manners at home before they come boat shopping. Whether a buyer or a seller, my clients frequently become life-long friends and I am in touch with dozens decades after I have sold their boat.

While sailboaters are first cousins, the trawler crowd is a group into their own level of nice. Out of maybe 250 trawler sales (that's +/-500 people), I can count on one hand the number of unpleasant clients. And don't forget that includes boat showings, surveys, sea trials, and the business of buying a boat including large sums of money being spent regardless of how "small" the boat, not exactly all kumbaya moments.

I'm not just a trawler fan, but am a trawler owner fan!
Judy at JWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:30 AM   #19
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
+1 for motorcycle folks
Angels too?
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:20 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Angels too?
Angels are a very small percentage of bikers, though many riders in bike clubs are actually good people if you talk to them and not just stare at them as they ride by.