Boat cushion upholstery cost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just had 7 cushions recovered in sunbrella reusing foam, new padding, $200 each. Took 4 months, and they complained the initial quote was a money loser. Life is getting expensive out there.

Last edited:
I don't know if the Sailrite acc'ys will fit the similar looking knock offs or not?
The Sailrite monster wheel is a very desirable mod IMO.
Most of us amateurs don't need hi speed and the additional torque & control is a real plus

My wife does upholstery at our boat repair business. The most expensive is the foam, then fabric, then all the little stuff like piping, basting tape, zippers and thread start to add up as well. It usually takes her 3 hours per cushion but can be more depending on complexity. She charges $35 an hour, which is why shes always busy ?
Sometimes there’s still businesses like ours that do great work and don’t rip people off. That’s why we started this business, we were tired of people not even showing up when hiring them to work on our boat. Well, maybe that’s only here in New Orleans, horrendous work ethic around here ??
John
Boating Made Easy

It is everywhere, it is very difficult to get good upholstery or canvas work done. That is why years ago I bought my own sewing machine. Unfortunately now arthritis keeps me from doing big jobs. At $35 per hour she is a smoking deal.

Comodave
My wife doesn’t do biminis from scratch anymore. She will repair but that’s all. She was just always in a bad mode while doing them. So I suggested just doing what you like and you’ll be just as booked up but in a good mood. I love that she likes upholstery and cleaning boats, because I hate it. I like fixing stuff ?
John
Boating Made Easy

I bought a few commercal machines and started doing my own work. Its not as good as a 100.00 a hour pro. But I like it. I have also started doing sail repair and repairs on other boats. Here is my first attempt at a new fastback cover for our boat. The pictures are in the middle of the final fit and installed the snaps, eyes. In just material the fastback was 1100.00. Its all good quality sumbrella stuff. In my opion one that is good at this is worth the 100.00 an hour. It takes a lot of years to learn all the tricks to getting a good fit. And material is very expensive. I did the V-birth last summer, new hull liner, new foam and covers. It was about 2k in material.

Ask around, there are a few people on the docks that already do this work, you just don't know it yet. We have a gal on our dock that is very good, booked up for months. And charges 50.00 an hour or will do quotes, your choice.

I started out with a 300.00 1942 Singer walking foot. Did a few jet boat interiors that paid for my new machines. I now have a Consew RB206-5, a singer 40 zig zag, a commercial surger, and a single needle embrodery unit.

I plan on getting better and doing a few window pannel replacements as a side gig.

(yes there is dog hair on eveything, she is a hard worker and enjoys a good fire nap).

Attachments

• top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 15
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 16
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Top3.jpg
    Top3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Top4.jpg
    Top4.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I have been looking at sewstrong. Appears to be similar to a sailrite but waaay less money. Just starting to look so buyer beware.

It is a Chinese knockoff of a sailrite machine. Sold under numerous labels. It is very poorly machined and adjusting tension is hit or miss. I have one and if you're not too fussy about quality it will get the job done.

I have used it for small repairs, made a sail cover, hatch covers, etc but sent upholstery out to a professional.

I have used it for small repairs, made a sail cover, hatch covers, etc but sent upholstery out to a professional.[/QUOTE]

Excellent information. Thank you!

John

Our cushion experience ?

My wife researched and replaced our internal cushions for couch/bed foldout - 82” long 5 inch thick firm quality foam to allow sleeping. She used a local upholstered guy that does normal home work. We replaced 2 cushions have 4 or more pillows and fabric left over for more stuff. Fabric is 300,000 rub count which should last forever if taken care of. Biggest cost was foam due to oil prices. All in $1300 and we were satisfied and my son says it sleeps well.

Time, research and leg work is key point like anything else. Interior cabins don’t require the same materials as outside.

For outside which we will redo this we will go to someone who does boat work. He was located through friends at the dock. So I know quality and price points of his work.

Everything inside we have done as DIY with things we can source ourselves. First boat, learning as we go and trying not to sink crazy money.

I leave the engines and boat things, winterizing, engines to the marina. That way I know we keep things running properly.

Back
Top Bottom